PDA

View Full Version : G750JW Temperature question & quick shimmering throughout my screen

JohnFDean
09-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Evening guys,
I'm completely new to gaming laptops since I'm used to a desktop all my life for gaming. But I bought an ASUSROG G750JW almost two years ago, September 2013. I've played some games for hours such as LoL (settings on high), Skyrim (Settings on legendary), and Reckoning. However, I'm playing Old School Runescape with a third party client, OSbuddy, and I have three of the clients open, Chrome and another RS3 client. When I did this the other night my fan got super loud and I would start to see little quick horizontal shimmers of lines going across my laptop screen and my secondary. They would occur within the game interfaces and I didn't pay much attention to them until I took my head set off and realized my fan was going off to the point I could hear it across the house.

I'm curious if you guys have any advice for me since I do want to have this laptop last for me and not die out. I have heard it would be good to probably dismantle and clean the interior of dust, but do you guys recommend myself doing it on my own or taking it somewhere?

Also I have attached a photo showing the type of shimmering that happens. My computer is pretty quiet right now, but it still occurs on a regular basis so any insight to that will help as well and it slowly while idle my CPU cores will heat up from 65-80's and my GPU core stays at 44-46, if I play my CPU cores jump to 85-89's.

navis995
09-21-2015, 06:17 PM
You should have really cleaned your laptop sooner.
Every 6 months would be perfect, every year would be o.k.

Also repasting!

That should fix the temperatures as far the lines goes it probably means there's something wrong with either GPU or CPU Intel Graphics meaning it's damaged. It may be only due to the temperatures but then again you cannot really tell.

If you feel confident you can do it yourself. There's plenty of videos out there that show you how to dismantle your G750 (All models are same size)

If you do it yourself watch for keyboard cable ribbon zip on the motherboard. I ripped it by accident and screwed my keyboard so before you lift your keyboard un-latch it from the zip. You just lift the black latch and you can pull it out then.

Maxter
09-22-2015, 12:04 AM
Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dkQ4rajyM
I haven't repasted mine yet... waiting for warranty to really run out. 1 more year.

Darnassus
09-22-2015, 01:17 AM
DO NOT use a Webbrowser for Runescape, ESPECIALLY Chrome. It is far too taxing with the Java

Download their proper client, or a trusted third party client to run the game.

CHROME JAVA IS INCREDIBLY CPU TAXING, DO NOT USE IT FOR RUNESCAPE. BAD BAD BAD. ;U

JohnFDean
09-22-2015, 02:56 AM
@ Darnassus, I'm using RS3 with their Runescape Client. Java isn't supported on Chrome to begin with so, and then same with Old School, I'm running that on a third party.

@Maxter thank you!

@Navis. Yeah I know. I thought I cleaned it before, but I realized I never got to it when I was cleaning my nephew's desktop interior and fans.
Regarding repasting though, how complicated would you say that would be? And if I don't feel confident enough to do so, would taking it in to Fry's be a good alternative?

navis995
09-22-2015, 10:09 AM
It's really not hard.

Just make sure you're organised as you put your screws out so you know where to put them afterwards.

Once you come to the motherboard you start unscrewing and then you just turn it around and you have full access to GPU and CPU cooler.

Then you just put that apart clean old goo and put new paste on.

It's really easy more times you do it.

First time it took me about 6h to put it apart.

Second time about 2.

Now it just takes me about 30min.