PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G771JW problems with performance when using computer without battery

Camill
09-21-2015, 02:31 PM
Hello.

I have a problem with my Asus G771JW with GeForce GTX960m and Windows 8.1. Recently I have noticed that I can't play games without battery due to sudden fps jumping up and down. Games work fine with battery and the power supply plugged in. I have been trying to do some changes in power plans but it didin't help. I have also updated BIOS and all the drivers but it didn't help. I checkd in 3DMark and here are my results:

1. With battery and power supply plugged in: http://www.3dmark.com/sd/3373574
2. Without battery: http://www.3dmark.com/sd/3367812

It looks like the notebook which is working on high performance don't get enough energy. But unfortunately
I don't have any other power supply to check it.

Any ideas?

Sorry for my english if I made any mistakes:)

frozenashes2
09-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Do you use the OEM charger that came with the computer?

I've seen this previously when someone used a universal 90W charger. I'm pretty sure it requires a constant 180W or it will think it's on battery power even if its plugged in.

Camill
09-21-2015, 04:40 PM
Do you use the OEM charger that came with the computer?

I've seen this previously when someone used a universal 90W charger. I'm pretty sure it requires a constant 180W or it will think it's on battery power even if its plugged in.

Yes, I use original OEM charger. The computer is pretty new - it has only two weeks.

The power supply is 120W I think.

Camill
10-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Does anybody have an idea how to solve that problem? Or what is the reason of that issue?

joshindaphils
10-05-2015, 07:23 PM
It is possible that the system is pulling more than the PSU can deliver when at peak draw causing the issue.

My question back is why are you removing the battery?

Camill
10-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Because I play games many hours and I want to save the battery...

joshindaphils
10-05-2015, 11:25 PM
Because I play games many hours and I want to save the battery...

I doubt thermal stress would be a huge factor, and when it is plugged in the battery wouldn't be cycled. So why why are you removing the battery?

Camill
10-06-2015, 04:49 AM
So you think I shouldn't? When I play for example Witcher Wild Hunt the computer has to be plugged in because the battery is not enough for good performance. But I thought that if I pull out the battery during several hours of play I will extend the battery life.

joshindaphils
10-06-2015, 12:25 PM
So you think I shouldn't? When I play for example Witcher Wild Hunt the computer has to be plugged in because the battery is not enough for good performance. But I thought that if I pull out the battery during several hours of play I will extend the battery life.

There is truth behind the reasoning to remove your battery. I am of the position that with all the other factors to consider in battery maintenance it is more than likely not going to adversely effect your battery life.

In particular when contrasted with affecting your game play it would seam the theoretical benefits are not worth while.

Usbornas
10-20-2015, 08:06 AM
Hi, I have bought G771JW too and noticed that playing without a battery cause fps dropping.
Have you solved this problem? or this is normal?
Or this is some spoilage and I should use a warranty?
Thanks for answer!

Camill
10-20-2015, 08:30 AM
I have sent my laptop to Asus Service and now I am waiting. I know only that so far they ordered a new motherboard and they will do some tests...

You are actually third person with the same problem in this model. Do the 3DMark test (SkyDiver) with the battery and power supply plugged in and without the battery and show me your results.

Update.

My laptop has been repaired. I called to Asus Service and they told me that motherboard had to be replaced with the new one as well as the cooling system (due to thermal throttling). Tommorow I should get my laptop back and I will do some tests to see if everything is ok.

Update 2.

Laptop returned to me with new motherboard and cooling system but problem still exists. I am sending it back to Asus Service.

Camill
10-21-2015, 07:53 PM
Did anyone have that problem and soved it?!

davmayol
10-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Hi,
I tested with 3Dmark, SKY DIVER 1.0 Test results : with battery: 12461 , without battery: 11208.
My power supply output value is 9V - 6.32A. My laptop Asus G771JW-T7009H i7 8GB 128SSD+1TB

Camill , did they change your motherboard and cooling system but problem still exists? They changed you motherboard and they didn't test if the problem still persisted? I find it very strange, well at least thanks to this "problem with fps dropping without battery in" they found another really big problem with your motherboard and cooling system.

Usbornas for me now it is spoilage, you play with battery in and dropping fps gone, but not for Camill who have sent two times his laptop for this reason. I hope Camill will play without fps dropping without battery in, and so he can extend his battery life.

Excuse me the offtopic Camill : When you don't have the battery in, do you put it in a bag inside the fridge?, I think I read that in some place.

Camill
10-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Well I think that this problem will occur in all Asus G771JW because I suspect that the 120W ac adapter which Asus attached to this model is simply not enough. For example in Lenovo and Acer laptops with the same specifications as Asus G771JW there are 135W ac adapters. I will try to force Asus Service to do some test on my laptop with stronger ac adapter. Alter weekend I will get some more informations I guess. Moreover I have found out that you can buy orginal Asus 180W ac adapter dedicated to G771JW. I know that people who have G771JM don't have this problem so I think that Asus made a little stronger laptop which is G771JW but didn't notice that it requires stronger ac adapter.

davmayol
10-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Very interesting hypothesis!!! If anyone tested it with Asus 180W ac adapter it would very helpful. If it confirmed, we would claim changing our ac adapter for original Asus 180W ac adapter dedicated to G771JW.

Thanks you for the info. Keep us informed!

dunedune
10-23-2015, 11:52 AM
I fixed this problem since 3 months by deleting stupid latest Nvidia Driver 353.xx from my PC because its not optimized and am getting insane FPS drops while playing normal games ... now am stuck with 345.05 version , its even more better than latest

davmayol
10-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks dunedune, I got now version 358.50, I will check with 345.05

edit: Well, My windows is 10 64bits, I think that version is only for W8.1, but I wish it was a drivers matter .

Clintlgm
10-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Well it seem that the earlier Reply that your battery needs to be installed to supply a constant supply of enough ML amps at full usage. We still don't understand why you want to take out your battery? We already know that with power supply disconnected on battery only your CPU and GPU will down clock to preserve Battery power. There is no known reason to remove a currently produced battery for any reason other than very long storage!!

Camill
10-23-2015, 02:32 PM
It's not about the reason of pulling out the battery from the laptop. It's all about that why we get worse performance after disconecting the battery. Lets say that my battery is damaged and I don't have money to buy another. Should I suffer from worse performance of the laptop because it is a matter of whether the battery is in the laptop or not? Really? I pull out the battery from the laptop because I have such caprice. Is it enough for you Clintmgl?

Clintlgm
10-23-2015, 02:45 PM
Well I guess you could get a ET guy to measure the current flow and determine why you are not getting enough Amps without the Battery installed. I doubt Asus is going to bother. There solution will probably be the same as the G751 and permanently install the battery so that you can't take it out.

Camill
10-23-2015, 03:50 PM
They will bother or they will be forced to give me my money back.

Camill
10-27-2015, 12:06 PM
It's been three days since I sent my laptop to Asus Service (I don't count weekend) and still I can't get any information what could be the reason of that issue I have described. They say only that they are waiting for the responce from thier headquarters in Taiwan or Netherlands...

Clintlgm
10-28-2015, 02:46 PM
Did you contact the cl- for your country? you might PM cl-albert he could probably hook you up with the cl- for your country.

Camill
10-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Yesterday they tried to send me back my laptop without dealing with that issue because according to them laptop was designed to work with full performance only with the battery and the power supply plugged in. What a nonsense... In the past I had three Asus gaming laptops and there was no such a problem. I told them that if they try to send me back my laptop without dealing with the problem, I will return it to the reseller. So they promised me to check how the laptop will work with stronger power supply. And now I must wait again because they have to contact with thier headquarters in Netherlands again.

Sanctrum
10-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Dell Alienware used to have the same problem... They simply were selling it with weaker PSU. You know - cut costs=more profit (stupid relation if too much is cut). Once one changed the PSU to the stronger unit the problem has vanished.

dunedune
10-30-2015, 06:14 PM
Too Bad , First i cant realize why people upgrading their PC to stupid worthless Windows 10 ! ... Just downgrade it to 7 or at less 8.1 because all functions in Windows 10 are completely Useless ... If you wanna be a TRUE gamer you should use Windows 7 ... :)

Camill
10-30-2015, 07:53 PM
And that's how my adventure with Asus ends... They have sent me back my laptop without dealing with that issue I described in this thread. They told me that they can't test the G771JW with stronger AC adapter because there is no stronger AC adapter which is compatibile with this model. They have also sent me an e-mail - and I quote: "Dear costumer your case have been closed. Your device is free from defects. Problem which you have reported was probably caused by incorrect use of the laptop". Thank you Asus. I am going to return my laptop to the reseller and I will never buy any Asus computer again.

Case closed.

dunedune
10-31-2015, 09:19 AM
Up to you , I prefer MSI or Origin if you interested for gaming again

Clintlgm
10-31-2015, 02:09 PM
Actually if you look around you'll find the trend is for non removable batteries. So your point is relatively meaningless. My G75VW is now close to 4 years old with the original battery still in. It has only been removed to change hard drives to SSD's. This battery is still good for 3 hours or so with minimum use. I only know this because I forgot to plug it in the other day.

chiribauradu
11-03-2015, 07:09 AM
Totally agree with you about battery, but what driver are you using? Cause me, if I play plugged in and under 40%, the game is lagging and I have fps drops with latest nvidia driver, but if I install 347.52 let's say (the one from asus support download), I can't get in cs go more than 45-50 fps on 1280x960 resolution, or in skyrim clean I have 20fps max. What the hell? Shoul I send it to Asus Service?

Camill
11-03-2015, 05:22 PM
This laptop is ****... If you have a chance to give it back - do it. I also have fps drop when the battery is not fully charged but Asus says that laptop is ok. I have latest Nvidia drivers. I am going to return it to the reseller tommorow. I will wait for Lenovo y700-17.