PDA

View Full Version : Asus g73jh, regarding BIOS and vBIOS

nerfer2
12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I am going to do the vBIOS update right now, but I want to know a few things.

Do I have to update my bios first? If I don't, is there a risk of bricking it?

I am not under warranty anymore, have the American bestbuy version, but live in Ireland. Can I still RMA it if it bricks?

fuzon1337
12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Yes, you should update your BIOS to BIOS 211, since that version supports the vBIOS update.

Take a look at this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?774-G73jh-vBios-update-tutorial-for-GSOD-matter.) about vBIOS info and update.

Yes, it's always a chance of brick your BIOS, take a look at this BIOS update guide (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html)

Since you're saying that you are not under warranty any more, first I would clear that up with Asus Hotline in your country and ask if you still have it (if your absolutely 100% sure your not under warranty)

Yes, you can still RMA if it bricks but then you have to pay for the repair.

brettt777
01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
So Fuzon, are you saying that any bios older than 2.11 does not support a vbios update? I updated my vbios last night, before I updated the system bios, which was 2.09 at the time. Since I did update the system bios to 2.13 after all that, should I now update my vbios again? When I did it the first time, I noticed at the DOS prompt that the old and new vbios names seemed to be the same thing. I have had my G73 for about 15 months and have never updated any of the bios. I wouldn't think it would have the latest and greatest, being that old.

fuzon1337
01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Ok, it's been a wile since I comment here but as I remember that the vbios would only support the BIOS version 211 (as I read and understand in the link "thread" )

But then I don't know about updating you're vbios again since you flashed when you had 209 installed.

Perhaps some of the others gurus here (admins, members) could help you out with this.

Hmm, maybe not all the functions was supported with the 209 but opend up when you flashed to 213.
So maybe you're free to play games in good quality and see some changes on your notebook :)

brettt777
01-11-2012, 02:05 AM
Well, I will try it. Like many, the main reason I did the bios thing was because I was getting increasingly frequent blue/grey lined screens and a total lockup when playing most games. Hopefully this will cure that problem. I just want to make sure that me doing the vbios first will still work and hopefully cure the problem. I also disabled the HDMI audio output at the suggestion of someone on another forum. Too bad really, I wanted to try and get that function working since I primarily use my G73 driving a Samsung HD monitor. I was never really sure how it was suppose to work though. IMO the Realtek audio software and functionality of the G73 leaves alot to be desired.

kb0sdq
01-11-2012, 03:43 AM
Hello Nerfer2,
I have the g73jh from bestbuy.
I updated my bios to 213 and then updated the vbios to the one on the driver page on this board. no problems at all.
Hope this helps,
Doug

brettt777
01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Hello Nerfer2,
I have the g73jh from bestbuy.
I updated my bios to 213 and then updated the vbios to the one on the driver page on this board. no problems at all.
Hope this helps,
Doug

I did the same thing, only I did it in reverse so I am wondering if that is okay or does it have to be system bios first and then vbios. Since my system bios is resting comfortably at 2.13, would it hurt anything to re-flash my vbios to the latest and greatest so everything is on the same page? I did play FSX and IL2 last night for a short while and had no issues. Usualy it only takes a few minutes so maybe....

kb0sdq
01-11-2012, 02:52 PM
you can get gpu-z and it will show the vbios to see if it took. Also after the vbios update you can get the newest catalyst program or just the drivers so video is good for these newer games. I think it is at 11.12 now.
The gpu program is listed on the driver page.
Doug

brettt777
01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I looked at GPU-z before and after I did both the system bios and the vbios. The numbers are different so I guess it took. Now I will try the latest and greatest ATI catalyst and pray really hard.