PDA

View Full Version : Touchbad button nort working after spill - update.

XOIIO
09-22-2015, 11:08 PM
Hey all, just a quick update, the replacement button assembly from asus parts came in the main the other day, and I finally got around to installing it.

Now, it did not come with the LED board, so I had to transfer that over, it is held on with double sided conductive tape (for EMI of course), and a careful job of slowly prying it up evenly and it worked great, the tape was a bit wrinkled, but still does the job fine.

So, it confirms what I thought, where even though the buttons tested fine with a multimeter, there must have been some small bit of a short/conductance, that caused it to think both buttons were being held at once.

Old thread here. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74389-Can-t-click-on-touchpad-or-buttons-%28Possibly-need-replacement-button-assembly-%29

Now I just need to un-train myself from not touching the buttons lol, which will be good, after a lot of use of the touchpad my fingers got a cramp every now and then.
I also need to order some spudgers to take out the space key and clean it's hinge mechanism, it's horrendously spongey.

joshindaphils
09-23-2015, 05:04 AM
Hey all, just a quick update, the replacement button assembly from asus parts came in the main the other day, and I finally got around to installing it.

Now, it did not come with the LED board, so I had to transfer that over, it is held on with double sided conductive tape (for EMI of course), and a careful job of slowly prying it up evenly and it worked great, the tape was a bit wrinkled, but still does the job fine.

So, it confirms what I thought, where even though the buttons tested fine with a multimeter, there must have been some small bit of a short/conductance, that caused it to think both buttons were being held at once.

Old thread here. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74389-Can-t-click-on-touchpad-or-buttons-%28Possibly-need-replacement-button-assembly-%29

Now I just need to un-train myself from not touching the buttons lol, which will be good, after a lot of use of the touchpad my fingers got a cramp every now and then.
I also need to order some spudgers to take out the space key and clean it's hinge mechanism, it's horrendously spongey.

Congrats on the self repair.

You can often use an old credit card, hotel key, ID etc in lieu of a spudger.

FYI forum etiquette is to post on your old thread (the one you linked) and not create a new thread. A reason for this is there is no indication of the update on the old thread if it is to be read, then if you link that thread to this thread you are then creating unnecessary traffic on the board.