PDA

View Full Version : G53SW, no sandy bridge, TS doesn't work, throttle while on battery.

spamme
12-20-2011, 10:06 PM
I suffer from throttle just when rnning on battery. My g53SW doesn't use sandy bridge, therefore I can't use throttlestop.
Is there a way to fix it?

xeromist
12-20-2011, 11:01 PM
It's intended to down clock when on battery because the battery life would be awful if it didn't. I believe some of it is hardware-level (read:non user adjustable) but I think there are some performance settings in the Windows power settings.

dstrakele
12-20-2011, 11:15 PM
In the Advanced Options of the "High Performance" profile, "Minimum CPU State" is 100% Plugged-in, but only 5% on battery. You can change this, but you might end up getting only 10 minutes of play time on battery.

spamme
12-21-2011, 07:30 AM
ok..... so people with sandy bridge do suffer from 2 different throttle issues? when they are on battery they have slow downs both because of the chipset throttle issue and also because of the hardware "cutting out"?.
btw, this is a 'brilliant' technology, they should implement it on super cars since some of them can be tank empty in around 20min when driving at maximum speed. (mercedes slr in 19min for example.)

xeromist
12-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Battery throttling is a very common feature on laptops and is considered by most people to be a useful feature. The vast majority of people don't want a mobile gaming rig that runs out of battery before they finish a match. "Working as intended", so to speak.

The Sandybridge issue is a real problem and that's unfortunate for those owners but at least there is a workaround for them if they come looking for one.

unclewebb
12-21-2011, 05:15 PM
My g53SW doesn't use sandy bridge, therefore I can't use throttlestop.

ThrottleStop works on the previous CPU generations including Core 2 and the original Core i processors.

Having said that, I don't recommend using it when running on battery power. Most modern batteries are not capable of fully powering a high performance laptop when both the CPU and GPU are loaded. That's why manufacturers use a variety of throttling schemes to prevent their batteries from being permanently damaged or catching on fire. It would be nice if laptop manufacturers were up front about this but none of them are. Users buy gaming laptops thinking that they will be able to do some gaming at full speed while mobile but for most laptops, that's not true.

ThrottleStop was intended to be used to work around the throttling issues while plugged in. If you can't game at full speed when plugged in then that's a problem manufacturers need to fix because it is unacceptable.

spamme
12-21-2011, 11:16 PM
well, I just found out that changing the item ' power management mode' in the control panel to ' prefer maximum performance' instead of 'adaptative', fixes the problem. I played around 2 min of deus ex without the slowing down.
and I Really don't understand how you people can think that this cutting out power is a positive feature. I'd rather play 15min with a decent amount of fps than playing for 30min with slow downs.