PDA

View Full Version : G751jt Lid making noise when opening and closing lid

Nayem33397
10-04-2015, 10:26 AM
My new g751jt making a loud click sound when opening and closing the lid. It was perfectly fine just a while ago. I am so mad at asus for making this sorts of hardware.
did anyone else had this issue ? how to fix it ? please say don't say go to customer service .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2U-wFm9WtU

Corporal
10-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Please record the sound/video. My g751jy lid does "click" a little when I move it, not sure if it's the same as yours.

Nayem33397
10-04-2015, 10:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2U-wFm9WtU

Corporal
10-04-2015, 11:01 AM
did anyone else had this issue ? how to fix it ? please say don't say go to customer service .
You could open it up and see if all the screws are tight.

mdnym3
10-04-2015, 11:03 AM

where are the screws ?

Nayem33397
10-04-2015, 11:11 AM

where are the screws ? not seeing any nearby

Corporal
10-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Open the rear speakers cover, open the palm rest, unscrew 4 screws at the bottom of the display and remove the display cover. Then see if there are any untight screws that connect the display to the base.

Nayem33397
10-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Open the rear speakers cover, open the palm rest, unscrew 4 screws at the bottom of the display and remove the display cover. Then see if there are any untight screws that connect the display to the base.

will I loose warranty if I do so?

joshindaphils
10-04-2015, 12:53 PM
will I loose warranty if I do so?

Sadly opening your laptop up in the manner Corporal is suggesting will void your warranty, such advice really should come with this disclaimer.

On the flipside Asus has no way to determine that you have done so if there is nothing physically wrong.

It does kind of sound like there is unwanted play from a loose screw.

My advice is first to exchange the unit, if not feasible then to have warranty service done. I don't recommend self service as if you error in some way (i.e. scratch/dent some plastic) then you've potentially tossed your warranty which could lead to a very expensive repair later.

Corporal
10-04-2015, 01:20 PM
to have warranty service done
Chances are, there is no screw lose and it's just cheap plastic making noise. I don't recommend sending it to asus service, because it will take a long time and very likely won't fix anything. It's more likely that your laptop will be sent back with scratches or components missing. If it's just plastic, they will tell you it's normal and send it right back to you(after a few weeks).

I don't recommend self service
Self-service is the only way of fixing screen bezel putting pressure on the screen for example.

joshindaphils
10-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Chances are, there is no screw lose and it's just cheap plastic making noise. I don't recommend sending it to asus service, because it will take a long time and very likely won't fix anything. It's more likely that your laptop will be sent back with scratches or components missing. If it's just plastic, they will tell you it's normal and send it right back to you(after a few weeks).

Hence my primary recommendation to exchange, as well so long as the issue is properly documented it *should* come back resolved.

Also many other markets have local service shops where you can sit and wait (and watch) the service being done. I myself prefer to self service hardware issues, however opted for a warranty repair as I could schedule a time come in with my laptop and have it immediately serviced and repaired. I even took photos and posted them up here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59354-G751JY-Disassembly-Pics If you can do the same, I would never ever recommend self service in this case, it is not worth the risk to your warranty vs the slight inconvenience.

Self-service is the only way of fixing screen bezel putting pressure on the screen for example.

There are basically two type of people when dealing with these type of questions (and like all such statements this one is also not 100% accurate) 1) Those that will take it upon themselves to risk the warranty and pop open the case and figure out what is wrong and fix it if possible. These post will be centered around any potential surprises around self service 2) Those that post on a forum asking what is going on and not comfortable doing self service particularly when it may void the warranty.

My advice is contextual targeting the poster (assumed type 2) while providing information that the first type can assess.

You still should be explicit in warning about potential warranty loss when doing self service.

thetanaz
10-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Man I have the same issue and also an issue with the CPU fan that when the machine has been shut down for a couple of hours when I power on it starts to rumble terribly for like 2 minutes and I think there's something going on inside the back panel.The only reason I don't give it to ASUS is that I'm from eastern Europe and support is terrible and I mean absolutely positively horrendous over here.I am on the verge of opening it up because that warranty is worth close to nothing with the existing ASUS support.A friend gave his G750 with fan issues and they brought it back like 2 months later with LITERALLY nothing changed I don't even know if they even looked at it.So guess I have to take matters into my own not very crafty hands.

Corporal
10-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Man I have the same issue and also an issue with the CPU fan that when the machine has been shut down for a couple of hours when I power on it starts to rumble terribly for like 2 minutes
I had it. Open it up, put some oil inside the fan. I used silicon based oil.

aeolisio
10-04-2015, 08:10 PM
You will have better longevity with a dry graphite lube and its less risky.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graphite-Lubricant/19512261
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-3-g-Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant-703185/100137063
http://www.amazon.com/Powder-Graphite-Lube-Tube-0-21/dp/B000R8983A

Corporal
10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
You will have better longevity with a dry graphite lube and its less risky.
I couldn't get any other lube inside the fan without disassembling it. There are no screws on the fan housing itself, you'd have to break it open, then put it together with glue.

thetanaz
10-04-2015, 08:21 PM
It is insane the amount of pasting issues,fans with inadequate lubrication bad speakers and god knows what else.This is supposed to be the creme de la crop of the ROG brand and when you open the site it's full of statements like 10% MORE POWER OUT OF THE BOX,MADE BY GAMERS FOR GAMERS etc.They did a great job with the whole cooling system idea and then decided to crap on it with horrible pastes/lubrication which leaves the user with the dilemma of whether they should lose their laptop for what could be potentially months and give it to ASUS/keep it the way it is or become certified technicians and take matters into their own hands..FeelsBadMan

Nayem33397
10-05-2015, 06:45 AM
Chances are, there is no screw lose and it's just che51976

Thanks for your replies . can you please tell what this screws (1) do ? and the platform is lifting up (2) . I tried tighten the screws more,also tried longer screw. its not attached to screw . just lifting up a little and making noise when I open the lid.Please tell me how to fix this

Corporal
10-05-2015, 07:22 AM
These 4 screws attach the bezel to the screen lid. Remove them, then carefully(!) remove the bezel, starting with the screen bottom. Do not use force, if you need a flat-head screwdriver to pry it open, you're doing it wrong. After that, you can access the screws that actually attach the lid to the lid mechanism.

Nayem33397
10-05-2015, 07:34 AM
These 4 screws attach the bezel to the screen lid. Remove them, then carefully(!) remove the bezel, starting with the screen bottom. Do not use force, if you need a flat-head screwdriver to pry it open, you're doing it wrong. After that, you can access the screws that actually attach the lid to the lid mechanism.

Thanks, but the screw isn't loose. its the area I marked as ' 2 ' its like plastic lock thats locks when I put pressure. now its pooping up when I open the lid. did the inside screw have to do anything with this?

Corporal
10-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Show some photos from the inside, I don't remember what it looks like.

Nayem33397
10-05-2015, 07:44 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]51978[/ATTACH
after removing the bottom 4 screw I have to remove the top pf lid by flat headed screw driver. but in the pic its opening itself without any pressure when I open the laptop

Nayem33397
10-05-2015, 07:46 AM
if I don't put the screw there it doesn't make noise anymore . can I leave it without one screw from bottom 4?

Sniffy
10-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Hey mate,

I had this issue before as well and it turned out to be no big deal. I removed the 4 screws and removed the hinge cover, and the noise went away. I replaced the hinge cover and screwed it back up and there's no noise anymore. It may have been due to the wire flicking against the rubber stopper maybe.

Basically if you can verify it's not the actual hinge mechanism, try opening and closing the laptop with the hinge cover removed and see what's up. Chances are it's not the hinge itself in which case you have nothing to worry about.

if I don't put the screw there it doesn't make noise anymore . can I leave it without one screw from bottom 4?

It's probably to do with the plastic or perhaps a wire on that side is flicking against the screw, though the rubber stoppers should prevent this. The good news is it's sounds like it isn't the hinge itself.

Nayem33397
10-05-2015, 08:34 AM
Show some photos from the inside, I don't remember what it looks like.

the screw is going both way freely not coming out .this one causing the lid going up. how to remove this screw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeg3BqQsHM

Corporal
10-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Looks like you found the cause of this sound. I'd try to use some tiny pliers to turn the screw and pull it at the same time.
To get rid of the sound and ensure structural stability of the lid, you will need to disassemble the display housing completely and recreate screw threads for a larger diameter screw(if the space allows it), then use a larger screw. You will need a couple of tools for that though. Needless to say it will void your warranty (at least for this part of the laptop).
Or you could assemble it again and send it to service.

Considering the loose screw on the hinge, it's an indication that your lid lacks structural stability. If you leave it like this your lid and display will possibly break.

Nayem33397
10-05-2015, 10:49 AM

Nayem33397
10-06-2015, 04:36 PM
I decided to leave it like that . hope the other 2 screw supports it . I have my lesson buying asus product . how the hell they could put a loose screw in place like this. really shame . The didn't care about quality . they just needed my money.

Corporal
10-06-2015, 04:53 PM
I've thought of 2 alternative solutions:
a cable tie that holds the parts together
a smaller screw
(red - broken thread)