PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on flashing the BIOS of my G73JH

ChefOrc
12-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Hi guys,
First post here, glad to meet you all :)

Here's my situation.

Since I bought my G73JH a bit more than a year ago, I have been having compatibility problems with various games. The problems I have been experiencing range from games simply not starting at all (ex: Spiral Knight), to random shut downs in-game (ex: Might and Magic Heroes VI), to games where my mouse controls are all laggy (ex: the Witcher 2), all the way to simple visual glitches (ex: Starcraft 2, where my cursor becomes all distorted after a while). Each time, my Radeon HD5870 seemed to be the cause. I have no solid proof of this, but forums often pointed to the graphics card.

The logical next step was to update the drivers of the graphics card, but the ASUS support site has no recent updates. I went to the ATI support site where much more recent updates could be found, but installing these updates always resulted in severe unstability of my machine (GSOD, shut down, complete loss of visuals). I have since done a system restore so it's stable now.

A tech at ASUS suggested to me that I should update my BIOS to be able to update my graphics card.

So here are my 2 questions:

1) Do you think it is indeed a good idea to update the BIOS, and then use graphics card update from the ATI site for this type of problem ? Or should I rather update the vBIOS? Or the chipset? Or all?

2) If I decide to update the BIOS, should I just flash to the latest update, or rather flash each update sequentially up to the most recent (several web sites suggest this). This last option scares me because it is just that many more chances of something wrong happening during the process.

Thanks for your help

fuzon1337
12-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi

To make this ball rolling to help you out.

Take a look at this Thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?774-G73jh-vBios-update-tutorial-for-GSOD-matter.) and see if that gives you any information that you seeks (about vBIOS update) :)

1) Do you think it is indeed a good idea to update the BIOS, and then use graphics card update from the ATI site for this type of problem ? Or should I rather update the vBIOS? Or the chipset? Or all?

The best thing you could do for your notebook is to update everything that's needed to be updated.

Update the BIOS is a risky thing to do, so if you don't have any issues with your notebook that is caused by the BIOS then I would recommend that to stay as it is :)

If you got an Atheros Wifi card in your system then I highly recommend to update the drivers for that, since it can cause a lot of unstability on your notbook.

2) If I decide to update the BIOS, should I just flash to the latest update, or rather flash each update sequentially up to the most recent (several web sites suggest this). This last option scares me because it is just that many more chances of something wrong happening during the process.

Yes, you can flash the BIOS to the latest version (all the changes that is made with the other versions also follows to the latest BIOS version, as I have understood in this forum) :)

If you follow these steps you would have a lower risk of brick your BIOS then doing it other ways

The Safer Method to Flash a System BIOS

1. Format a USB drive to FAT32 format.
2. Download the new BIOS and unzip it to the USB drive.
3. Remove USB drive after you're certain the file transfer is complete.
4. Restart your notebook and while the ASUS logo is on the screen press F2 or del a few times to enter the BIOS setup.
5. Find the Easy Flash Utility and insert the USB drive. Tell Easy flash where your BIOS file is then follow directions explicitely!!!
6. When your notebook restarts, enter the BIOS Setup utility again and select "Load Optimized Defaults" (I think it's f9 )
7. Save and Exit, then continue into Windows.

And if you need more info about how to flash your BIOS look here (http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html)

ChefOrc
12-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the info ! Especially the Atheros card, I would never have guessed.

As you point out, I should only update the BIOS if I have a good reason to do so. And that's precisely what I have difficulty assessing. It seems that I should update the BIOS in order to update other drivers, but I have no way of knowing if this is indeed the solution to my problems. Anyways, I am going to read those threads in more detail.