PDA

View Full Version : Problems adding ssd to g74sx

rad1co
12-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Hello all, need some help please.
Recently bought a g74-sx.
Loaded it up with 3'd cad software and a few games, 184GB of apps in C drive and 65 GB in data drive .
After reading how cool the ssd's are I decide I gotta have one.
So I install an Intel 510 250gb.
Had some trouble connecting the ribbon correctly, and finally got the boot bios to recognize it.
Put it first in the boot order, but always boots to C; primary.
Download Ease us patition software,
and reduce size of C:drive, then copy to SSD I:drive
Then make ssd drive primary too and active.
Cannot change driveletter since C is boot drive.
Restart and go into bios , disabling HD from boot order , leaving only ssd to boot from
doesn't work, same for safemode.
Therein is my problem, I have 3 partitions, Cdrive is HD primary, D drive is data, I drive is SSD
I have c drive copied to ssd but cannot boot to it or change drive letter to C
I have too much apps and data memory to do a fresh install
Any ideas?
thanks, bob

BrodyBoy
12-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Hello all, need some help please.
Recently bought a g74-sx.
Loaded it up with 3'd cad software and a few games, 184GB of apps in C drive and 65 GB in data drive .
After reading how cool the ssd's are I decide I gotta have one.
So I install an Intel 510 250gb.
Had some trouble connecting the ribbon correctly, and finally got the boot bios to recognize it.
Put it first in the boot order, but always boots to C; primary.
Download Ease us patition software,
and reduce size of C:drive, then copy to SSD I:drive
Then make ssd drive primary too and active.
Cannot change driveletter since C is boot drive.
Restart and go into bios , disabling HD from boot order , leaving only ssd to boot from
doesn't work, same for safemode.
Therein is my problem, I have 3 partitions, Cdrive is HD primary, D drive is data, I drive is SSD
I have c drive copied to ssd but cannot boot to it or change drive letter to C
I have too much apps and data memory to do a fresh install
Any ideas?
thanks, bob

That's a little confusing.....any chance you could post a screenshot of the setup in Disk Management?

Also, could you clarify how you copied your old C: drive to the SSD? If you literally mean "copy," that explains why it's not a boot drive. You need to image/clone a boot drive.

rad1co
12-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the responce Brody, I will take a screenshot when I get home from work.
I used Ease us partition software when copying OS drive to the SSD, I thougt it was copying as an iso image, but worth checking
thanks.
I have read your advice on installing an SSD with a fresh install, but how would you do it if you wanted to maintain the original OS and data drive?

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the responce Brody, I will take a screenshot when I get home from work.
I used Ease us partition software when copying OS drive to the SSD, I thougt it was copying as an iso image, but worth checking
thanks.
I have read your advice on installing an SSD with a fresh install, but how would you do it if you wanted to maintain the original OS and data drive?
The basic work flow goes like this:

Shrink the OS drive (in DIsk Management or with 3rd party software) to the size of the new SSD
Use Windows Backup & Restore to save a system image onto the 2nd hard drive, and burn a repair disk
Physically install the new SSD
Update the SSD's firmware if necessary
Boot from the repair disk, and restore the saved system image to the SSD

rad1co
12-22-2011, 05:00 AM
The basic work flow goes like this:

Shrink the OS drive (in DIsk Management or with 3rd party software) to the size of the new SSD
Use Windows Backup & Restore to save a system image onto the 2nd hard drive, and burn a repair disk
Physically install the new SSD
Update the SSD's firmware if necessary
Boot from the repair disk, and restore the saved system image to the SSD

Ok, i did shrink the OS, install the ssd and make the repair disk, but have not tried to boot from it.

From the Easeus manual:
"In order to make windows bootable on the destination disk make sure to do the following:
1. shut down the computer after disk copy and unload the source drive.
2. if the operating system is not bootable on the destination disk, please try to connect the destination disk to the socket of the source disk"

Any ideas how I do that?

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 05:03 AM
What's Easeus?

rad1co
12-22-2011, 05:17 AM
What's Easeus?
Easeus partition master software, very much like old nortons patition magic

I thin k I will clear the ssd and try the recovery disk :)

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Okay...well, whatever that is, you don't need it for this process. If you saved a system image as earlier suggested, you boot from the repair disk and restore the image to the SSD.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/SystemRecoveryOptions.png

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 05:22 AM
I thin k I will clear the ssd and try the recovery disk :)
Just to be clear....you need a Windows system image, not another kind of image or copy you made with third-party software.

rad1co
12-22-2011, 05:33 AM
yes I used windows twice to create recovery disks, once when first started, another with all the apps loaded.

rad1co
12-22-2011, 05:40 AM
Okay...well, whatever that is, you don't need it for this process. If you saved a system image as earlier suggested, you boot from the repair disk and restore the image to the SSD.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk216/prog_photos/MISC/SystemRecoveryOptions.png

Thankyou for the help Brody.
I will try this tomorrow,

ravnos04
12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
How much xtra is the SSD? Is there room for a HDD and SSD or do you just have the SSD?

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 09:33 AM
How much xtra is the SSD? Is there room for a HDD and SSD or do you just have the SSD?
I'm confused....I thought you already have the SSD. I thought you were trying to move your existing OS onto it.

EDIT: I just went back and read your first post. I think I may have misunderstood your setup when you described your "data drive;" I thought you were describing a secondary HDD.

But are we talking about a one drive system? If so, the basic workflow for transferring your OS to the new SSD is essentially the same, with the exception that you don't save the system image onto the 2nd HDD. You can save it to an external USB drive, a set of DVDs, or to the D: partition on your HDD.

Then, after you have successfully transferred the OS and you're using the SSD as your boot drive, you can delete the OS partition on the HHD and use the space for data.

Just so we're on the same page, can you confirm that you have a G74 that came with one hard drive, and that you want to add an SSD and use it as your OS drive.

rad1co
12-22-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm confused....I thought you already have the SSD. I thought you were trying to move your existing OS onto it.

EDIT: I just went back and read your first post. I think I may have misunderstood your setup when you described your "data drive;" I thought you were describing a secondary HDD.

But are we talking about a one drive system? If so, the basic workflow for transferring your OS to the new SSD is essentially the same, with the exception that you don't save the system image onto the 2nd HDD. You can save it to an external USB drive, a set of DVDs, or to the D: partition on your HDD.

Then, after you have successfully transferred the OS and you're using the SSD as your boot drive, you can delete the OS partition on the HHD and use the space for data.

Just so we're on the same page, can you confirm that you have a G74 that came with one hard drive, and that you want to add an SSD and use it as your OS drive.

Yes, I bought the model with a 750 GB HD and an empty bay to add an SSD. The original setup had the 750GB divided in two, half OS, other half a data drive. I added a 250GB SSD to the empty bay and would like to retain my data drive after switching the OS to the SSD.
I plan on running the recovery disks to boot on the SSD and then I assume I will have a choice of operating systems to boot to until I delete the HD one using partition software.

rad1co
12-22-2011, 05:02 PM
From what I understand you can buy the G74sx with a 120GB ssd for about $500 more than the one without.
I purchased the Intel 510 250GB from Amazon for $570 an am trying to add it myself :) yeah

rad1co
12-22-2011, 05:03 PM
From what I understand you can buy the G74sx with a 120GB ssd for about $500 more than the one without.
I purchased the Intel 510 250GB from Amazon for $570 an am trying to add it myself :) yeah

To answer your other question, you should be able to have both the HD and the SSD, . Use the SSD for all your apps and the operating system and the HD for data storage, or a second operating system in another partition.

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
My other question? :confused:

Yes, that is the setup I described in my last post. But I wouldn't recommend leaving your operating system on the HDD. There's really no point, since it's the same setup and just wastes space. It really offers nothing but an extra step every time you boot. (You have to choose which Windows to boot.)

I know you specifically asked about transferring your existing installation, and if that's what you want, it's a perfectly legitimate choice. But the other option, a clean install, is worth a second look if you're still unsure about how you want to do all this. Disk upgrades/additions are a good time to do it, since you're busy moving things around anyway.

rad1co
12-22-2011, 07:21 PM
You know I agree a clean install would be more stable and a cleaner registry,
problem for me is I do not have all the cad software available to re-install again, so I will lose some apps....
but what the heck, a clean system has greater benefits

You talked me into it, I think I will do a clean install since I have the time next week.
thanks again
bobd

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
You know I agree a clean install would be more stable and a cleaner registry,
problem for me is I do not have all the cad software available to re-install again, so I will lose some apps....
but what the heck, a clean system has greater benefits

You talked me into it, I think I will do a clean install since I have the time next week.
thanks again
bobd
That's too bad about the CAD software. :( Let me know if you have any questions about the clean install.