PDA

View Full Version : Does the GL551JW-DS71 support 4k via HDMI to a TV?

sreiter
10-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Sorry if this has been covered, but search didnt show anything.

Is 4k possible with this laptop?
Very confusing.
The Geforce 960M puts out 4k according to NVIDiA
ASUS website says laptops 4k ready include the GL551 (although its slightly confusing there too).

HOWEVER -

The laptop HDMI spec doesnt say HDMI 2.0, so i'm assuming its HDMI 1.4 (tech support is useless on the subject).
Tomshardware has a article from 2014 that says NVIDIA manages 4k over HDMI 1.4 by changing the chroma to 4:2:0 @60hz
which is odd, because everywhere i looked (avsforums, etc.) all say chroma needs to be set to 4:4:4 @60hz.
All the 4k TVs in PC or Game mode are all set to 4:4:4 @60hz

Also, Sony has changed their adapters to HDMI 2.0 just via a firmware upgrade. I dont see anything similar coming from ASUS.

Anyone know whats up with pushing 4k to a 4k TV?

Exanimis
10-13-2015, 08:22 AM
Sorry if this has been covered, but search didnt show anything.

Is 4k possible with this laptop?
Very confusing.
The Geforce 960M puts out 4k according to NVIDiA
ASUS website says laptops 4k ready include the GL551 (although its slightly confusing there too).

HOWEVER -

The laptop HDMI spec doesnt say HDMI 2.0, so i'm assuming its HDMI 1.4 (tech support is useless on the subject).
Tomshardware has a article from 2014 that says NVIDIA manages 4k over HDMI 1.4 by changing the chroma to 4:2:0 @60hz
which is odd, because everywhere i looked (avsforums, etc.) all say chroma needs to be set to 4:4:4 @60hz.
All the 4k TVs in PC or Game mode are all set to 4:4:4 @60hz

Also, Sony has changed their adapters to HDMI 2.0 just via a firmware upgrade. I dont see anything similar coming from ASUS.

Anyone know whats up with pushing 4k to a 4k TV?

With that card i doubt you'll be able to support 60FPS im 4K resolution on any modern game. I'm not sure about HDMI 2.0 and bandwidth but theres also a thunderbolt you can use. I use it for my full HD monitor with 144HZ with a mini-DP - DP cable.

sreiter
11-17-2015, 11:32 PM
With that card i doubt you'll be able to support 60FPS im 4K resolution on any modern game. I'm not sure about HDMI 2.0 and bandwidth but theres also a thunderbolt you can use. I use it for my full HD monitor with 144HZ with a mini-DP - DP cable.

thx