PDA

View Full Version : best 256gb ssd for g751JL?

Meatmaster
10-09-2015, 05:09 PM
hello i recently bought a g751JL with a 1tb hhd; however i would like to upgrade it in the near future by adding an ssd drive to it.
my question is which would be the best ssd to add to my rig? As far as size 256gb is about all i need for this rig.

Edweird
10-09-2015, 06:32 PM
I can recommend that you get a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB drive. They can be had for $70-80.
I have one in my G751JY and it's all I really need combined with the 16 gigs of RAM. I don't think the JL has a PCI-E M.2 slot so I wouldn't recommend looking at that.

But currently, the 850 EVOs beat out performance models like Kingston HyperX Savage or A-Data XPG930 etc. and are excellent value for the money.

You can get RAPID mode running on Win10 and it gives a 4-5GB/s read speed on cached data. Other than that they're known to be reliable and most users are unlikely to need anything else. Just keep in mind that it's highly recommended to have over provisioning enabled which basically just means 10% of your drive's capacity reserved for automatic maintenance procedures. On mine, I have 209GB total available space with that considered.

Meatmaster
10-09-2015, 07:13 PM
I can recommend that you get a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB drive. They can be had for $70-80.
I have one in my G751JY and it's all I really need combined with the 16 gigs of RAM. I don't think the JL has a PCI-E M.2 slot so I wouldn't recommend looking at that.

But currently, the 850 EVOs beat out performance models like Kingston HyperX Savage or A-Data XPG930 etc. and are excellent value for the money.

You can get RAPID mode running on Win10 and it gives a 4-5GB/s read speed on cached data. Other than that they're known to be reliable and most users are unlikely to need anything else. Just keep in mind that it's highly recommended to have over provisioning enabled which basically just means 10% of your drive's capacity reserved for automatic maintenance procedures. On mine, I have 209GB total available space with that considered.
yes you are right, i open up the back and i don't have the m.2 slot, i have two hhds. is it safe to assume these are two 500mb drives
running on raid 0 ? now i don't know if to run two ssds or an ssd and a bigger hhd?

Edweird
10-09-2015, 08:16 PM
yes you are right, i open up the back and i don't have the m.2 slot, i have two hhds. is it safe to assume these are two 500mb drives
running on raid 0 ? now i don't know if to run two ssds or an ssd and a bigger hhd?

Really, 2 hard drives? It came like that from the store? Odd. Especially in a RAID setup.
If you really do have 2 HDDs, what I would do is get a HDD caddy and replace your optical drive with one of them and swap it with a SSD.

Meatmaster
10-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Really, 2 hard drives? It came like that from the store? Odd. Especially in a RAID setup.
If you really do have 2 HDDs, what I would do is get a HDD caddy and replace your optical drive with one of them and swap it with a SSD.

yes, i got it from best buy. i didn't know how cheap ssd have gotten i might end up getting a 1tb one.