PDA

View Full Version : G551JM - Unable to change screen brightness in w10

XsplaX
10-10-2015, 02:15 PM
I know there are a lot of similar case with me but trust me, i have went through all the possible solutions that I have came across but none of them solve my eye discomfort situation.

So let me share again my problem here and what I have done in order to outcome the problem.

After upgrade to windows 10, my screen brightness can't be changed either using fn+fx or at power option or any other possible places.
Other fn button working fine. Troubleshooting:

1. Refer to ASUS driver and support website - useless due to obsolete driver.

2. Use intel driver update utility to scan and search for latest driver - installed but still useless - version 15.36.24.64.4264 a.k.a 10.18.14.4264

3. Device manager --> update intel display adapter--> let me pick a list from my computer --> 10.18.15.4279 available and picked - useless

4. No brightness slider at power option

5. Adaptive brightness turned off

6. Device manager --> update intel display adapter --> Microsoft basic display adapter <<--- Seriously not practical but i tried anyhow but still useless.

The brightness is killing my eye. Anybody can share their solution especially from G551 or any user with 2 graphic cards.
Thank you.

Gps3dx
10-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Have you installed the ATK (ACPI) package from asus official site ?

Windows 8.1
(x64)

Windows 10
(x64)

G551JW (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=g551jw&os=41)

G551JW (http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=g551jw&os=45)

XsplaX
10-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Yes mate. Installed but not working either. So your fn (brightness) key working fine?

Gps3dx
10-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Yes mate. Installed but not working either. So your fn (brightness) key working fine?

I got G751JT so my answer doesn't matter.

I think I got it all wrong till now:
update your graphics card drivers from the OFFICIAL GPU manufacturer ( I.E Nvidia, intel etc... NOT ASUS! )
I know that MS win10 download and install a driver for the graphics card, but it's never good in comparison with direct install from the GPU manufacturers.

After you do that, REBOOT, problem should be soved.
if problem retains, try to install a beta driver or previous released driver... ( I.E Nvidia, intel etc... NOT ASUS! )

please report back if it solved your problem.
thanks.

XsplaX
10-15-2015, 11:59 PM
Done that with no luck mate.

For your information, I already used the latest version for each and every possible hardware like you mentioned but still did not work out.

ATK Package: 1.0.0040
Smart gesture: 4.05
Intel graphic driver: 10.18.15.4279
Nvidia graphic driver: 358.50

What else can I do to solve this brightness control issue?

XsplaX
10-16-2015, 11:50 PM
Any other G551 users who experienced this or is it just me? some feedback for g551 user please.

XsplaX
10-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Any other G551 users who experienced this or is it just me? some feedback for g551 user please.

Muluu
10-17-2015, 05:16 AM

mine is working after installing ATK on windows 10

XsplaX
10-17-2015, 05:32 AM
mine is working after installing ATK on windows 10

Can you share more about your experience on this issue? I mean what driver version and where did you get them from.
Thank you.

Muluu
10-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Can you share more about your experience on this issue? I mean what driver version and where did you get them from.
Thank you.

okay mine is not upgrade , in my case i did a clean install and about the drivers i did install them all at once with out restarting
the graphic driver i downloaded from nvidia website and i didnt install any graphic driver for my INTEL graphic because it says ur graphic is manufacturer and Lovely asus is not giving us an update for that . after that i moved to this link
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G551JW/HelpDesk_Download/

and i choose the windows 10 and i downloaded ATK. LAN hmm thats all

before installing all this i was not able to change the screen brightness and no FN working on keyboard and no light on keyboard

I hope this could help you

XsplaX
10-17-2015, 10:52 AM
okay mine is not upgrade , in my case i did a clean install and about the drivers i did install them all at once with out restarting
the graphic driver i downloaded from nvidia website and i didnt install any graphic driver for my INTEL graphic because it says ur graphic is manufacturer and Lovely asus is not giving us an update for that . after that i moved to this link
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G551JW/HelpDesk_Download/

and i choose the windows 10 and i downloaded ATK. LAN hmm thats all

before installing all this i was not able to change the screen brightness and no FN working on keyboard and no light on keyboard

I hope this could help you

what an interesting info. Thank you for sharing this. I'll give w10 another shot by following your experience. kudos for me. :D. Thanks again.
Just a quick note. Mine only screen brightness (fn+keys) did not work. Others works well. Cheers.

XsplaX
10-17-2015, 03:57 PM
Hey mate,

Bummer. Still can't make it work. I don't know what kind of sorcery with this fn button. I don't do from fresh install though which i really want to avoid.
Thanks for the share again.

Muluu
10-18-2015, 04:27 AM
why dont you try fresh install