PDA

View Full Version : GL551JM Overheating + Low Fan Speed

siqueirah
10-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Hi everybody,

I can't pinpoint when exactly this problem started to occur but there have been only two major events: the update to Windows 10 64 bits and a BIOS 204 update a few months ago. The problem wasn't there before June, that's guaranteed.

Now, to the problem itself. The cpu gets really hot and the laptop shuts down. Another relevant fact is: the CPU fan is stuck at a very low setting. Until mid 2015, every time I'd use a more CPU/GPU intensive application (even when it wasn't too much) I could hear the fan increasing speed. Now it stays "silent" until it shuts down. I'm not talking heavy games or benchmarks, but everyday usage like a Chrome with too many tabs or something.

The only way I've managed to use it is in power saver mode, since it lowers pretty much everything, but then it gets considerably slower.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, since ASUS support has failed to help me.

Thanks a lot !

ZIXEL
10-10-2015, 07:27 PM
check drivers to win 10 , are you tested 207 bios? , i got a T06 BIOS , fan speed are full with that bios , and solved throtling 82c too , check this https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?64295-G551JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius

siqueirah
10-11-2015, 12:15 PM
check drivers to win 10 , are you tested 207 bios? , i got a T06 BIOS , fan speed are full with that bios , and solved throtling 82c too , check this https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?64295-G551JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius

When I updated to Windows 10, I assumed the drivers updated automatically. Also, there's nothing related to temperature or fan speed on the available drives.

Now, onto the 207 BIOS, I didn't even know there was one. I saw it on the 551JW, would that be suitable for my GL551JM as well?

siqueirah
10-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Does anyone have any info regarding this 207 bios?

navis995
10-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Pretty simple solution.

Install Windows 8.1 and don't bother will Windows 10 for 2 years.

I'm not trolling that's an actual solution.

siqueirah
10-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Pretty simple solution.

Install Windows 8.1 and don't bother will Windows 10 for 2 years.

I'm not trolling that's an actual solution.

Yeah, I see...
I'm not sure what is worse, though: being unable to run anything remotely heavy or the severely impaired UX of Windows 8.1

siqueirah
12-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Any other suggestions? I think it's related to the BIOS update...

King_Arthas
07-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Hi everybody,

I can't pinpoint when exactly this problem started to occur but there have been only two major events: the update to Windows 10 64 bits and a BIOS 204 update a few months ago. The problem wasn't there before June, that's guaranteed.

Now, to the problem itself. The cpu gets really hot and the laptop shuts down. Another relevant fact is: the CPU fan is stuck at a very low setting. Until mid 2015, every time I'd use a more CPU/GPU intensive application (even when it wasn't too much) I could hear the fan increasing speed. Now it stays "silent" until it shuts down. I'm not talking heavy games or benchmarks, but everyday usage like a Chrome with too many tabs or something.

The only way I've managed to use it is in power saver mode, since it lowers pretty much everything, but then it gets considerably slower.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, since ASUS support has failed to help me.

Thanks a lot !

Same as mine GL552 looks like all asus with GTX 960 have overheating pb

However Asus delete any old BIOS, Intel or Nvidia driver... I update my bios 3 time since i buy it in march. And when open again driver page, no any bios available for download....

http://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/815/0/1/45/

Really disappointed from this laptop... Very unpleasant feel to keep your hand on warm pad... warm area should be near the screen..

p.s

Old Bios update are there now...

Intel video only one V20.19.15.4454 . Missing VGA_Intel_Skylake_Win10_64_VER2019154300, VGA_Intel_Skylake_Win10_64_VER2019154377 and one more that I dindnt keep

off topic

With Asus driver I was unable to use a hotel WiFi at ch13. After downloading latest Intel driver via phone I was able to update WiFI driver and connect.

Compwxr
07-28-2016, 05:01 PM
External app might solve your problem.
Try Notebook fancontrol and put your laptop as Asus UX31A, Enable it and try it and see if the fan work.

siqueirah
03-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Update to this thread:

Asus eventually released BIOS 205 that fixed it. Since it's an "old" product, it wasn't high priority but eventually they got it done.
Thanks!