PDA

View Full Version : G771JW fps drops

Thorrasque
10-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone.

I bought the G771jw two weeks ago and tried several games - and have the same problem on all of them.
Take Battlefield 4 for example - i have optimised settings according to NVIDIA GeForce experience - and the fps drops from ~60 to 20 every second or so.
I tried many different fixes and have found none of them to work so far. Last thing I tried was downloading the three drivers mentioned in this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74094-Asus-ROG-G771JW-FPS-Jumps
setting the preferred card to high performance and all I could find - unfortunately it keeps happening regardless of graphics settings.
Paid quite a bit for a laptop I currently can't use for gaming so any help is appreciated.

navis995
10-12-2015, 07:23 PM
1) If you have Windows 10 uninstall it and use Windows 8.1. Don't bother using Windows 10 for at least 2 more years since that's the time the world needs to adjust to it

2) Use HwInfo to monitor your temperatures of 1h of game time and report them here.

3) Drivers should be updated to the latest version

4) 960M is not too bad of a card but it's not too strong either and Nvidia settings cannot be trusted. If it set everything or most of the settings to ultra that's the problem right there. For a card like 960M a combination of medium/high with no aa or 2x msaa will give you nice 60 fps on average.

Hope this helps

4) You should NOT be playing on the power supply.

Jali24
10-13-2015, 07:01 AM
1) If you have Windows 10 uninstall it and use Windows 8.1. Don't bother using Windows 10 for at least 2 more years since that's the time the world needs to adjust to it

4) You should NOT be playing on the power supply.

Ummm for windows 10, I have not had any problem for games or programs related to windows, in fact they maybe work better than for 8.1.
Don't advice to roll from newer windows to older becuse it may not be the problem in the first place. And rolling back takes much more time than other fixes.

And you just adviced to use battery only when gaming.

Thorrasque
10-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Well thing is when I installed win 10 on my previous laptop everything run better on it or there was no change at all so hard to believe that's the problem.

I don't play on the battery, in fact it's usually disconnected completely.

As for the graphics settings I know the 'optimize' button can't be trusted, but I tried all sorts of settings including all LOW and it didn't work - as an example I have 3 games - battlefield 4, battlefront beta (wouldn't be surprising if it was just it) and Starcraft 2, which is couple of years old and should run smoothly... Instead the fps drops every second occur in all three. Only games that worked more or less normally were Old republic and Heroes of the Storm.

Camill
10-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Try to play with the battery and the power supply plugged in. Run the 3DMark test first with the battery and then power supply plugged in and then with the battery disconected. I have the same problem as you only while playing with the battery disconected but everything works fine when I play with the battery and power supply plugged in. For example Witcher Wild Hunt works with 35-40 fps with high and ultra settings with Nvidia Hairworks off. But when I pull the battery out I get fps drop to the number of 20 nearly every second. In 3DMark test - with the battery and power supply plugged in - I get 12200-12400 points but with the battery disconected 3DMark shows always 10400-10600 points. I have tried all the solutions but nothing helped. I have updated BIOS and all the drivers to the latest and it didn't help. I had Windows 8.1 and 10 installed. I tried all the power plans. And even I changed the power supply - no positive signs. So I called to the Asus Service and they told me that it is not normal that the laptop runs better with the battery and power supply plugged in than with the battery disconected. So I have sent my machine to them and now I am waiting for the results of thier diagnostics. But maybe your problem is different.

Thorrasque
10-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Try to play with the battery and the power supply plugged in. Run the 3DMark test first with the battery and then power supply plugged in and then with the battery disconected. I have the same problem as you only while playing with the battery disconected but everything works fine when I play with the battery and power supply plugged in. For example Witcher Wild Hunt works with 35-40 fps with high and ultra settings with Nvidia Hairworks off. But when I pull the battery out I get fps drop to the number of 20 nearly every second. In 3DMark test - with the battery and power supply plugged in - I get 12200-12400 points but with the battery disconected 3DMark shows always 10400-10600 points. I have tried all the solutions but nothing helped. I have updated BIOS and all the drivers to the latest and it didn't help. I had Windows 8.1 and 10 installed. I tried all the power plans. And even I changed the power supply - no positive signs. So I called to the Asus Service and they told me that it is not normal that the laptop runs better with the battery and power supply plugged in than with the battery disconected. So I have sent my machine to them and now I am waiting for the results of thier diagnostics. But maybe your problem is different.

Battery also plugged in? Sound weird, but it seems to be the same as with my problem - something new to try once i get back from work... thanks, I'll try that - and please let me know what they tell you after the diagnostics - maybe my problem is same as yours.

Camill
10-13-2015, 02:07 PM
Yes... Put your battery into the laptop, plug in the power supply and do the 3DMark test SkyDiver to see how many points will you get. Then pull out the battery and do the same test. You will see if there is any difference.

navis995

G771JW is not strong enough to play games as Witcher Wild Hunt only on the battery. In fact you must lower your graphic settings to the minimum if you want to play without the power supply.