PDA

View Full Version : G715JY - Laptop Freezs during gaming (ACU in perticular) and windows update

bhaviljain68
10-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Ok.. so this might just be related to ACU .. bt sometimes it also freezes with other games... only sometimes though.
Iv'e played GTA 5, Dragon age origins darksould 2 on the laptop without any issues...

Temps during ACU are around 80 constant... thats the only difference ... in other games it used to be around 75 its not much of a difference... especially not much to cause a system crash....

The crash while playing ACU is random. its updated to the latest version and all patches applied...

Anyone who has played the game could maybe share their experience?
It would confirm my doubts weather its the game or its my laptop.

Another issue is with the windows update. whenever i try to update.. the laptop crashes within 2 mins... and keep randomly restarting till i dont delete the update files form "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download". once i do that .. the system is stable again.but if i try to update again... i get the same result. hence automatic updates are turned off.

any kinda help is appreciated... :) :) :)

PS: No undervolt/overclock. running win8

TurkROG
10-13-2015, 02:55 PM
same issue here , i can't continue playing the game . freezes al the time , reinstalled many times but no sense .

Gps3dx
10-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi there,

A word of advise - don't presume others know abbreviation - write the full name of the thing ( I.E ACU = assasins creed unity )

about your crashes: do you get any BSOD screens ?
if so, please use BlueScreenView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html)and report back the cause.
otherwise, I would suggest that you take a look at the "System" logs inside the "event logs" utility. search in google for guides about that.

for any additional help, please report more technical info like OS version&type, what's your nvidia drivers version, etc.... anything *special* you made that might effect the stability of the laptop ( try also to disable A/V & firewall apps )

bhaviljain68
10-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Hi there,

A word of advise - don't presume others know abbreviation - write the full name of the thing ( I.E ACU = assasins creed unity )

about your crashes: do you get any BSOD screens ?
if so, please use BlueScreenView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html)and report back the cause.
otherwise, I would suggest that you take a look at the "System" logs inside the "event logs" utility. search in google for guides about that.

for any additional help, please report more technical info like OS version&type, what's your nvidia drivers version, etc.... anything *special* you made that might effect the stability of the laptop ( try also to disable A/V & firewall apps )

hey there... i'll keep in mind to keep the abbreviations to a minimum the next time.

about the crashes... no BOSD... just screen and audio stuck (it makes a really bad noise)... i'll take a look at the system log the next time this happens

OS version is 8.1 single language
drivers are always the latest, currently 358.50

nothing special done to the laptop except a clean install a few months ago. had installed all drivers ect from the ASUS site and gForce experience.

maybe its just the game, like TUKRog said.

Also any idea about the windows update issue i'm having?? i cant take the win10 update due to this
as a workaround I'm thinking of doing a fresh win10 install but am worried if it'll directly accept the licence key??

Thanks.

Gps3dx
10-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Also any idea about the windows update issue i'm having?? i cant take the win10 update due to this
as a workaround I'm thinking of doing a fresh win10 install but am worried if it'll directly accept the licence key??
Thanks.

Yes. very much indeed - please take a look at the sticky thread I opened, the 3rd post (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)): there's a method to perform clean install of win 10 without the need to go through the official upgrade process.
I already execute it myself, on many PC- it works great.

bhaviljain68
10-16-2015, 07:24 AM
Yes. very much indeed - please take a look at the sticky thread I opened, the 3rd post (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)): there's a method to perform clean install of win 10 without the need to go through the official upgrade process.
I already execute it myself, on many PC- it works great.

Hey,
So i finally got some time and followed your guide to install Windows 10. It installed without any issues.
But the freeze problem still persists. And i think its worsened. Now i get random freezes when I'm not even playing.
I installed it last night and up till now I've had 3 freezes. Once while playing Mad Max (Temps were 65-70 degrees). And other 2 while doing menial task such as surfing or using file explorer (Temps were 36-38).

I had done a fresh install of nVidia drivers by downloading the latest package for the website, instead of updating via GeForce Experience.

Updated to the latest BIOS, used the Windows 10 drivers provided on the ASUS support(Win10) page and rest on the rest from windows 8.1 page.

As you suggested, i looked into the event viewer and found the entries. couldn't really make much of them as they werent really descriptive, maybe you could help??

Gps3dx
10-16-2015, 08:25 AM
we will need to collect the dump file for analysis:
1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".
3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump" (either 128/256KB) option is selected.
4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.
5. Only then move to the next steps:

If the Blue Screen appears again(or crash again without bsod), please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Minixxxxxx-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.
4. zip it then Upload it here

P.S - which bios version is currently installed on your system ?
that last shot with the ACPI shows something about system EC - which resembles that couple last updates Asus released....
so, if you're on the latest, downgrade,
if you're on old version, update.
there were couple of thread about the downgrade process around lately.

bhaviljain68
10-16-2015, 09:28 AM
we will need to collect the dump file for analysis:
1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".
3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump" (either 128/256KB) option is selected.
4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.
5. Only then move to the next steps:

If the Blue Screen appears again(or crash again without bsod), please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.
2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".
3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Minixxxxxx-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.
4. zip it then Upload it here

P.S - which bios version is currently installed on your system ?
that last shot with the ACPI shows something about system EC - which resembles that couple last updates Asus released....
so, if you're on the latest, downgrade,
if you're on old version, update.
there were couple of thread about the downgrade process around lately.

Ill collect the memory dump the next time it happens... as the settings were default under write debugging information.

Currently on BIOS version 10(Latest). I took the same approach you mentioned about the "EC" system error hence i updated.I'll see if downgrading it helps. but i got the same error on version 07 as well. so i doubt if it matters. still i'll give it a try.

Thankyou.

Edit:
So it Happened Again here is the dump file

Gps3dx
10-16-2015, 11:13 AM
OK, so with the help of BlueScreenView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) you can see the following .dll/.sys files which are probably responsible for the crash:
although you can see nvidia's driver in that red list - it isn't necessary the root cause for the crash, but a driver that causing the crash to happens, BECAUSE another driver ( I.E .dll/.sys file ) interfere its normal work.

Take a look at THIS THREAD (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59301-SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION-(Netio-SYS)-Help), they got some ideas you can try to solve the crashes, mainly: uninstall Asus's "GameFirst".

bhaviljain68
10-16-2015, 01:54 PM
OK, so with the help of BlueScreenView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html) you can see the following .dll/.sys files which are probably responsible for the crash:
although you can see nvidia's driver in that red list - it isn't necessary the root cause for the crash, but a driver that causing the crash to happens, BECAUSE another driver ( I.E .dll/.sys file ) interfere its normal work.

Take a look at THIS THREAD (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59301-SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION-(Netio-SYS)-Help), they got some ideas you can try to solve the crashes, mainly: uninstall Asus's "GameFirst".

Hey... Thank you for loking into the dump file.
I read the thread... And as you said it's mostly about removing the gaming first software. Bt the irony is... I've never installed it... Removed it on the very 1st day I got the laptop... Didn't install it after the fresh 8.1 install... And didn't install it this time as well

As for what you said... I didn't clearly understand.. So correct me if I'm wrong.

Ur saying that some other driver is causing the nvedia driver to crash? If so.. How do I find which one is the culprit? And if nvedia is itself the issue... Then what version do I downgrade to? Would using 'display driver uninstaller' make any difference??

Gps3dx
10-16-2015, 03:01 PM
well, you got it right.

nvld... = nvidia graphics driver - you should play with the version you use, E.I don't install beta driver, download setup from nvidia official site only etc....
ntoskrnl = windows kernel - a very centralized important driver you can't do without, as it is the heart of windows.
tcpip.sys = windows network driver, must have BUT MYABE A WINDOWS UPDATE MIGHT SOLVE IT !

you should focus your search in the direction of NETIO.sys and netwbw02.sys

any chance that because the ransfer to win10, have you ran any SCRIPTS to eliminate MS trolling&spying ?
some of these scripts also disable some network services, that might be necessary for something that run PC runs, and it might crash cause of it.

bhaviljain68
10-17-2015, 12:48 PM
well, you got it right.

nvld... = nvidia graphics driver - you should play with the version you use, E.I don't install beta driver, download setup from nvidia official site only etc....
ntoskrnl = windows kernel - a very centralized important driver you can't do without, as it is the heart of windows.
tcpip.sys = windows network driver, must have BUT MYABE A WINDOWS UPDATE MIGHT SOLVE IT !

you should focus your search in the direction of NETIO.sys and netwbw02.sys

any chance that because the ransfer to win10, have you ran any SCRIPTS to eliminate MS trolling&spying ?
some of these scripts also disable some network services, that might be necessary for something that run PC runs, and it might crash cause of it.

Hey,
No I haven't ran any scripts...
Focus my search as in?? What should I do? Some pointers would be nice..
I'm good with computers... As in I can learn stuff easily... Bt I've never handled such things... And hence have no clue bout what to to do
And the nvidia driver is downloaded for the site only... And its not a beta version.

Gps3dx
10-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Focus my search as in?? What should I do? Some pointers would be nice..

you got it right again...
netwbw02.sys + netio.sys should be your main focus, My opinion they are the root cause, the rest are effected by them.
"netwbw02.sys" is intel's WiFi driver.... see in the device manager what is your current driver version & provider -> update the driver from intel's site if you're on MS driver / not on the latest intel's driver version.
note to update ONLY the driver WITHOUT intel's ProSet app, as it just a pain in the ass addition to have ( it makes conflicts with windows wifi selection menu...) -so for that, look at intel's support page for the driver itself - without the proset app, or when you download the installer, extract the files, and perform using the device manager a manual driver update.

another subject:
I see from the screenshots you've uploaded that you got MANY apps running in the systray: some rog icon(?), asus updater, some app that shows you fps ( that can actually causes crashes if you play with trainers/visual costumiers like sweetFX & ReShade -> for sure it only lowers your FPS ! thus if you care about FPS info, use the game's built-in FPS counter, not 3rd party ! ), MS office cloud uploader ( are you really use their service ? ), ASUS USB Charger Plus ( AFAIK win10 x64 version does NOT exist... )

I suggest you run as admin "autoruns" ( from here (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) ) and start by disable every not essential start-up apps. ( open the "logon" tab for that )

also another way to disable completly any 3rd party start-up item is through MSCONFIG -> select "selective startup" mode and DISABLE "load startup items" check.(see here ) (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/run-selective-startup-system-configuration#1TC=windows-7) as this wil disable any non-system must have startup apps, and might be a way to isolate better the crashes ( if they happens at all -> thus one of your startup apps, causes the crashes )

bhaviljain68
10-19-2015, 07:04 AM
hey there,

I checked the Intel driver, it was the MS version indeed, don't know how i missed out on that :P , updating it to the latest intel driver right now.

Asus charge plus doesnt have a listing on the win10 tab of the downloads page i agree, I'll uninstall as i used the default one which is for win8.1.

As for the apps in system tray, I made a bat file that i run once the system has booted up completely. it kills all the processes that i don't use so basically all i have running when i am using the laptop on general basis are : Internet download manager & utorrent(only if something is downloading), notebook fan control and Geforce experience.

bhaviljain68
10-20-2015, 06:40 AM
you got it right again...
netwbw02.sys + netio.sys should be your main focus, My opinion they are the root cause, the rest are effected by them.
"netwbw02.sys" is intel's WiFi driver.... see in the device manager what is your current driver version & provider -> update the driver from intel's site if you're on MS driver / not on the latest intel's driver version.
note to update ONLY the driver WITHOUT intel's ProSet app, as it just a pain in the ass addition to have ( it makes conflicts with windows wifi selection menu...) -so for that, look at intel's support page for the driver itself - without the proset app, or when you download the installer, extract the files, and perform using the device manager a manual driver update.

another subject:
I see from the screenshots you've uploaded that you got MANY apps running in the systray: some rog icon(?), asus updater, some app that shows you fps ( that can actually causes crashes if you play with trainers/visual costumiers like sweetFX & ReShade -> for sure it only lowers your FPS ! thus if you care about FPS info, use the game's built-in FPS counter, not 3rd party ! ), MS office cloud uploader ( are you really use their service ? ), ASUS USB Charger Plus ( AFAIK win10 x64 version does NOT exist... )

I suggest you run as admin "autoruns" ( from here (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) ) and start by disable every not essential start-up apps. ( open the "logon" tab for that )

also another way to disable completly any 3rd party start-up item is through MSCONFIG -> select "selective startup" mode and DISABLE "load startup items" check.(see here ) (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/run-selective-startup-system-configuration#1TC=windows-7) as this wil disable any non-system must have startup apps, and might be a way to isolate better the crashes ( if they happens at all -> thus one of your startup apps, causes the crashes )

Hey there,
the problem was exactly what you said.. the wifi driver...after extensive testing... i can confirm that... I played mad max like for 3 to 4 hrs and did not experience a single crash, yet to try Assassin's creed.
I downloaded 'Intel Driver Download Utility', as it was confusing as to what to download form their site, there were two different versions and both were tagged as latest.

Thanks a lot for all your help, i surely couldn't have figured it out on my own. :)

@TurkROG : Maybe you could try the same

bhaviljain68
10-20-2015, 06:44 AM
question... how to award reputation points??

Gps3dx
10-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks a lot for all your help, i surely couldn't have figured it out on my own. :)

question... how to award reputation points??

Wonderful ! :)
I'm glad it worked !

About the reputation, there is a https://rog.asus.com/forum/images/buttons/reputation-40b-hover.png icon at the bottom left of each post someone leaves, through that button you can add a reputation to someone.