PDA

View Full Version : G752 - This may be the perfect upgrade for my G73

Banshee
10-18-2015, 06:25 PM
The G752 looks fabulous. I would get mine with at least 32 GB RAM, but have a question about the SSD.

It's listed as "NVME SSD", which is confusing to me. Does this mean it is soldered to the motherboard PCI bus? Is it an actual SSD that could be removed and upgraded? Is 512 GB the biggest available? I can't seem to find a user manual yet, or else that would probably answer my questions.

My current G73 has 3 hard drives inside, and I need even more space, so any SSD less than 1 TB would be too small; hence my reasoning for wanting to upgrade it.

Edweird
10-18-2015, 07:52 PM
We don't know for certain, but it should be like the G751 - should be a standard, removable M.2 SSD. I think 512GB is the biggest one at the moment.

Clintlgm
10-18-2015, 09:30 PM
I agree this may be the one, we'll just have to wait until some users come check in with us.

toronto699
10-18-2015, 09:57 PM
manual is here for G752VL,
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G752VL&p=3&s=833

I was at best buy {CA} today , G752 is expected Nov 1/2015 {in transit now Basic Model} will be the least expensive model , G750 and G751 will not be offered for sale after Nov 1. Only in stock units or demos. that's similar to What the Asus Service Centre {CA} told me . The Cheapest G752 has only 128Gb SSD not enough or non at all

Banshee
10-19-2015, 01:51 AM
Thanks for the link to the manual.

According to the manual, it appears that there is only one SATA bay for a traditional laptop SSD or HDD, and the M.2 card. That is a weakness in my opinion, unless I remove the DVD drive and replace it with another SSD or HDD.

At this point, I'm thinking that the best path forward is the 512 M.2 stick partnered with two 2TB hard drives, or wait for 2TB SSDs in to arrive in laptop form factor. Then in a year or two, hopefully the M.2 comes in a 1TB + size.

So I guess it's not "perfect" like my title says. But if the drive makers come through, then I could make it work.

toronto699
10-19-2015, 03:37 AM
This M.2 1TB has been in development for over a year. I keep going to Adata to see if its available.
Originally the web page below said the M.2 1TB would be available in 4th quarter of 2015. I have Adata memory in my laptop and Asus Tower. I do video editing for my TV station, I have 3HD in my G751 but the GTX video card is defective. motherboard must be replaced. I don't think ill replace it. Ill get a G752
http://tech4gamers.com/adata-1tb-m-2-ssd/

Banshee
10-19-2015, 03:56 AM
Thanks! Yes, that looks nice. I wonder what the price will be.

TugaPower
10-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Go to the new Samsung, it will be a beast. Pré comande it's already available, it goes out this month.

Samsung 950PRO Disque Flash SSD interne 512 Go PCI Express Noir

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B015SOHL0O/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_WZkjwbQ5973A1

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/09/samsungs-950-pro-m-2-ssd-pairs-nvme-with-v-nand-for-eye-popping-performance/

Samsung it's also working in 1Tb and 2Tb SSD

toronto699
10-19-2015, 01:09 PM
found this today . G752 is what ill get in few weeks
http://web.eurocom.com/ec/drivers(336)ec
any thoughts on the eurocom Sky X9

Mr.Smitty
10-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Looking at upgrading my G74 to a G752 as well. Can't find a preorder anywhere in Canada other than NCIX. Bad thing is they don't have the model I am looking for exactly and there is no date listed as to when it will be available. Its a shame you can't get the 256GB SSD with the slightly less expensive models. I believe the G752 has two M2 slots though so maybe buying a bigger SSD and putting it in for my games would work.

Clintlgm
10-19-2015, 07:12 PM
yes Xtopic is thinking November 1, 2015 for the G752VY DH 72 models

Banshee
10-19-2015, 07:27 PM
The manual I read only showed what appeared to be a single M.2 slot, unless they are side-by-side in the vertical plane, in which case one would be hidden by the other.

Mr.Smitty
10-19-2015, 07:35 PM
I am specifically looking for the Asus G752VY-RH71 model with GTX 980M and 16GB with 128GB SSD. But if I have to pony up more cash for the Asus G752VY-DH72 I will :(

toronto699
10-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Clintlgm I talked with Xtopic today also to see what I could add to G752VY-DH78K. they do expect G752 on Nov 1st they told me.
its a free chat with a tech @Xtopic if anyone is interested , just go to their web page
http://www.xoticpc.com/
hievolution has chat with a tech , that's where I bought my G751
https://www.hidevolution.com/?main_page=testimonials_add

Mr.Smitty
10-19-2015, 08:23 PM
NCIX got back to me. They will have stock just before November they claim. Hoping my local computer parts shop will have them within a week after that.

Ozeor
10-19-2015, 11:09 PM
I have a G55 and loved ASUS, but the new 752 line is a real let down for me. Why on earth would anyone buy these when you can get the MSI for the same price with a desktop CPU and a GTX 980, the full version of this card! This isn't even on the same level anymore. The top of the line g752 compared to the titan is a joke. The titan has dual 980's in sli and once again that's not the mobile version.

Banshee
10-20-2015, 01:47 AM
I have a G55 and loved ASUS, but the new 752 line is a real let down for me. Why on earth would anyone buy these when you can get the MSI for the same price with a desktop CPU and a GTX 980, the full version of this card! This isn't even on the same level anymore. The top of the line g752 compared to the titan is a joke. The titan has dual 980's in sli and once again that's not the mobile version.

What model MSI are you considering?

GottiBoi55
10-20-2015, 02:11 AM
The G752 looks fabulous. I would get mine with at least 32 GB RAM, but have a question about the SSD.

It's listed as "NVME SSD", which is confusing to me. Does this mean it is soldered to the motherboard PCI bus? Is it an actual SSD that could be removed and upgraded? Is 512 GB the biggest available? I can't seem to find a user manual yet, or else that would probably answer my questions.

My current G73 has 3 hard drives inside, and I need even more space, so any SSD less than 1 TB would be too small; hence my reasoning for wanting to upgrade it.

Hi Banshee,
Good choice for the Upgrade.
NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) is new gen tech, NVMe controllers utilizes the PCIe interface.
Here's a couple of sites about this new gen tech>>>> wikipedia.org/NVM_Express (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express) >>> nvmexpress.org (http://www.nvmexpress.org)

Good luck, and good gaming!

Banshee
10-20-2015, 06:13 AM
What model MSI are you considering?

So I studied the MSI Titan GT80. Don't misunderstand, it does not have a Titan GPU inside. But it appears to have two GTX 980s inside, running in SLI. For the things I do, two GTX 980s would be awesome, however I don't need SLI. In fact, for some rendering tasks, SLI would be slower than two separate Nvidia GPUs runing in "normal" mode. So to go MSI, I would have to be able to disable SLI.

Also interesting is the use of RAID 0 in the GT80, with apparently up to 4 SSDs. Personally, I would not need RAID in a laptop, so I would possibly rather disable it so as to have 4 separate drives which I could then configure as I needed.

This seems to be a very thick machine, which would be okay by me because it's power that I want. But the MSI site says it's still using a Generation 4 i7 processor. The G752, by comparison, will have the Generation 6 Skylake processor. If I'm spending more than $2500 on a laptop, I would want the Skylake processor. I suspect that MSI will release an updated version of the GT80 this year, so it may be worthwhile to wait and compare it to the Asus G752.

My biggest concerns are heat, noise, and the number of units that fail within a few months. I saw more than a few feedback items on Newegg that give me concern about the failure rate.

Ozeor
10-20-2015, 06:29 AM
The new MSI's all use skylake CPU, if the sli 980 is to much for you, then consider the GT72S 6QF Dragon Edition 29th Anniversary Edition which is a single 980 and smaller, thinner and better form factor. Make sure you are looking at the 29th anniversary ones, they are coming out in a few weeks and spec wise, blow anything ASUS out of the water. I hate to say it, because I'm currently typing from my G55, but specs don't lie.

Banshee
10-20-2015, 07:07 AM
The new MSI's all use skylake CPU, if the sli 980 is to much for you, then consider the GT72S 6QF Dragon Edition 29th Anniversary Edition which is a single 980 and smaller, thinner and better form factor. Make sure you are looking at the 29th anniversary ones, they are coming out in a few weeks and spec wise, blow anything ASUS out of the water. I hate to say it, because I'm currently typing from my G55, but specs don't lie.

Actually, specs alone are not the reason to buy (or to avoid) any particular model. I am still a little bit concerned about MSI's failure rate in the GT models.

And really, just let me disable SLI, reduce the failure rate, and hey we'll talk! I also like the concept of the GT's up-front keyboard with more regular Cherry keys.

toronto699
10-20-2015, 11:45 AM
the G752 VL , VT specs are posted at their driver pages
http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/G752VT/HelpDesk_Download/
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G752VL/HelpDesk/

Clintlgm
10-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Well I guess if you get that SKY thing we won't be seeing you here anymore, I hope that company has a good Tech support Forum like we have here?

Clintlgm
10-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Yes we'll have to pony up also for a 256GB M.2 SSD I don't think I can make it with a 128 GB OS Drive. I only have 105 gb free on my current 256 GB OS SSD

Edweird
10-20-2015, 02:18 PM
It's obviously a smaller company and therefore also probably has better customer support .. dunno about any forums. But if you're going for such a specific, custom product ... you should probably know what you're doing. ASUS is much more mainstream and it's easier to believe there are dedicated forums for it. If they have good customer support, it should be easy to figure issues out and a forum isn't needed as much (though it's so damn easy to set some up that there's no reason not have them...). When you have a company as big as ASUS you can flock the sheep to the forums so they can bleat at each other, instead of having to figure customer support out and having a confused flock ... the current ill situation with ASUS's support is pretty much a natural development and their ever increasing sales don't seem to be reflecting things as you might expect them to.

Clintlgm
10-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Well yes Sager and Alienware have had better stuff all along. The issue is with all that heat producing hardware how they are getting rid of it doesn't seem very well dealt with so far anyway. We have always had choices yet here we are using Asus G notebooks. The 752 lines do seem to be priced excessively high, but lets see what happen with them prices after the actual release

Banshee
10-23-2015, 12:19 AM
I have decided to look into the Eurocom X9 some more. I was completely unaware of Eurocom as a brand, and I am very impressed with this and the MSI because they seem to be somewhat more user-upgradable than even the Asus G752. I'm not buying right away so I have lots of time to research and learn before making a decision.

CosmicPoweR
10-23-2015, 03:31 AM
Just curious how's the Nahimic sound gonna do better than Maxx Waves. I saw quite alot of complaint in MSI forum about this.

Banshee
10-23-2015, 05:49 AM
The sound is a minor factor for me. I don't plan to game often, and when I'm doing music stuff, I'll have an external audio/midi interface plugged into the laptop.

Edweird
10-23-2015, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't bet on the audio being much better than the G751. I've found that just a name plastered on the case usually means absolutely nothing. In some cases (like the JBL equipped Lenovos) its quite nice but most of the time, go in expecting nothing.

Then again, I am happy with my G751's sound capabilities and I find myself very rarely plugging in the 2.1 set I have on my desktop ... But that might also be because it's a TEAC set from like ... 2001.

Banshee
10-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Good point. My G73 is quite passable for the occasional Civilization: Beyond Earth game or watching Phil Collins' concert footage. But yeah, for any actual audio "work", I'll use a USB audio interface I have here, only because it has actual ASIO drivers and therefore better latency than the laptop.

Edweird
10-24-2015, 09:46 AM
The standard Realtek drivers for the G751 come bundled with the appropriate ASIO software. My previous N61Ja also had ASIO by default.

toronto699
11-02-2015, 01:27 PM
I went to eurocom and came home with one
https://biosmods.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/sky-x9/

Mr.Smitty
11-02-2015, 08:49 PM
I went to eurocom and came home with one
https://biosmods.wordpress.com/2015/10/21/sky-x9/

What specs did u get?