PDA

View Full Version : How to Enter G551jw "Advanced ROG BIOS" if available ?

dunedune
10-21-2015, 08:03 PM
Sorry for this stupid question , But i still cannot access ROG BIOS or i dont know if its damaged or not available in my G551jw .

I mean this BIOS Menu

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviewimages/asus-crosshair-v-msi-990fx/asus_bios1.jpg

Somebody teach me how to access it or its locked ???:mad:

Rares95
10-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Pretty sure this is from an ROG Motherboard, not a laptop.

toronto699
10-21-2015, 08:12 PM
that image is from a rog motherboard

dunedune
10-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Really ? So its impossible to access it on ROG gaming laptops ?

Edweird
10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Yeah, there's no such thing in these machines. You're not meant to touch the stuff that's available on desktops.

Korth
10-21-2015, 08:39 PM
The G551jw User Manual is here (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G551JW/0409_E9399_B.pdf). It describes how to access the BIOS. It shows many screenshots of a plain old bluetext BIOS.

Your screenshot is from a review about an Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula motherboard.

The cool red-and-black stuff is just a more recent ROG style. But not every ROG-branded product has it (yet). I think most ROG-branded products are simply rebranded generic Asus products - they're not really built from the ground up for gaming, they just happen to be powerful enough to be suitable for gaming - and Asus keeps on selling them because enough gamers keep on buying them.

It's always possible that Asus might release a firmware update for your ROG product which brings it into line with the ROG theme, although I wouldn't count on it. There are some third-party UEFI tools and hacks which let people do cosmetic changes to "unsupported" machines, but modded firmware always carries big risks, it could brick your laptop (or worse) if you're not very careful and a little paranoid.

Clintlgm
10-21-2015, 10:08 PM
Well Asus has to warranty these notebooks, they are never going to give up control over these as they do with Mother Board. It would be very easy to override safety settings and smoke a GPU or CPU. or Mother board. They allow us to Change 2 slots of RAM and to change hard drives. So what else would be added to the BIOS/UEFI? That an Noob couldn't do damage with?

Korth
10-22-2015, 04:08 PM
Nothing can be added to the firmware that "a noob couldn't do damage with". A noob can already permanently kill expensive hardware by misconfiguring things in the factory firmware, imagine how much damage can be done (inadvertently or maliciously) with bad or buggy code.

dunedune
10-22-2015, 08:49 PM
But Most of their updates are garbage 'sorry' . If we are going to compare MSI gaming notebooks with other Brands ,It gives the user all freedom to customize specific options including "overclocking Graphic cards & CPU'.etc ( under your OWN risk ) . May you answer this stupid question ? I think you heard about Temp throttle topic that discuss an stupid problem about G551JW model is GPU temperature locked to 74C .
Do you call this a high temp for gaming ? 74C is horrible to run at less skyrim with 1600x1200 resolution ,it goes very quickly high around 9 minutes . some companies are useless when they trying to present some restricted stupid rules that most of costumers not aware to investigate to discover full detailed hardware information ... Most of idiots when they buy Gaming laptops or desktops often saying ( OH MY GOD I BOUGH SUPER PC ) without looking what the **** inside Hardware for example G551JW . Honestly i did a big mistake to buy it because MSI is even more flexible and organized than ASUS ... If the GPU can handle 90C under 99% full load with no suspects of damages so why they lock it at 74C ? to keep it silent ? or No noise ? What a stupid reason is this !! Gamers are looking for super high performance while playing games not for stupid fan noise ,Nobody cares about noise .

Svift
10-22-2015, 09:25 PM
But Most of their updates are garbage 'sorry' . If we are going to compare MSI gaming notebooks with other Brands ,It gives the user all freedom to customize specific options including "overclocking Graphic cards & CPU'.etc ( under your OWN risk ) . May you answer this stupid question ? I think you heard about Temp throttle topic that discuss an stupid problem about G551JW model is GPU temperature locked to 74C .
Do you call this a high temp for gaming ? 74C is horrible to run at less skyrim with 1600x1200 resolution ,it goes very quickly high around 9 minutes . some companies are useless when they trying to present some restricted stupid rules that most of costumers not aware to investigate to discover full detailed hardware information ... Most of idiots when they buy Gaming laptops or desktops often saying ( OH MY GOD I BOUGH SUPER PC ) without looking what the **** inside Hardware for example G551JW . Honestly i did a big mistake to buy it because MSI is even more flexible and organized than ASUS ... If the GPU can handle 90C under 99% full load with no suspects of damages so why they lock it at 74C ? to keep it silent ? or No noise ? What a stupid reason is this !! Gamers are looking for super high performance while playing games not for stupid fan noise ,Nobody cares about noise .

As a former MSI GT70 owner... Not true. Everything is locked there as well. Theres one guy that hack MSI´s bioses there but all ovecloking is locked by intel and nvidia anyway so you cant do anything. And giving it the "new UEFI" look does nothing to what it actually can do.

Also admins on MSI forums goes berserk when you mention other brands. I received permanent ban there for literary saing "I had better experience with asus ROG forum than here, community there is so helpfull" - yup promoting other brands. Strictly forbidden.

Dont go for MSI to gain "more flexibility" you wont get it. I know that grass may always seem more green over the fence. But it aint and especially in MSI´s case.

I like how easy it to take MSI laptops apart compare to ASUS tho. Especially the highend models like GT70, GT72. ASUS went the rigidity way on its G series.

Clintlgm
10-22-2015, 09:28 PM
I really can't speak to 15" notebooks I think of them as for Business people that have to carry one around with them everywhere.
But if you think the MSI is better you should have bought MSI. I think most gamers are also geeky to and wouldn't buy anything with out knowing everything about it. Especially anything costing a lot of money.
As far as temps go I think anything above the 70's is too high. I don't remember exactly but this G75VW under Furmark full screen 15 minutes never got over 76C Its been over 2 years now since the last repaste, so I won't run that benchmark again. CPU under Burn In Test 100% 15 Minutes Never got over 65C

dunedune
10-23-2015, 12:06 PM
if am wrong! look at this

http://www.msi.com/product/notebook/GT72S-6QF-Dominator-Pro-G-29th-Anniversary-Edition.html#hero-overview

the selection number 6 written "Easy Overclocking with MSI SHIFT Technology" So what that means ? dont tell me its locked ! Dont think so

Clintlgm
10-23-2015, 02:28 PM
Well if that's what you want, what is keeping you here? We all like our Asus G models. There is always room for improvement. So If you think MSI is better you should get one.

dunedune
10-25-2015, 04:03 AM
Its just an opinion :o