PDA

View Full Version : RECOMMENDED RETAILERS ON NEW ASUS G752's

vore01
10-22-2015, 11:41 AM
HI
I'm about to pre-order the Asus ROG G752VY-RH71 w/ GTX980M 4GB. I was wondering if there are recommendations that can be given on choosing which one.
I checked out exotic and gentech and excaliper. All have the machine for 1999..00 . The reason for an out of state purchase is saving almost $200.00 in taxes

I'm also not getting any accessories or additional drives that might cause the machine to be opened by anyone. Heard some horror stories about that.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Oh...by the way I wanted the dark metallic color for the laptop but only the silver one is available in the US.. That ain't right...lol

toronto699
10-22-2015, 12:28 PM
The Warranty is the same no matter who u buy from, I year unless u get an extended warranty, and if u can save $ go for it, buy what u can afford.
I bought my G751 from HIDevolution.

vore01
10-22-2015, 12:42 PM
thanks for responding so quickly
is the extended warranty something I should consider?

noobita
10-22-2015, 12:48 PM
I feel pretty stupid about ROG G752
6th gen has very low performance improvement(~5-6%) but a major igpu improvement and energy savings.
as for igpu it is disabled permanently by not having optimus technology.
Also with a 100W gfx card running permanently I dont see how a 7-8 W savings in processor will help.
The only good thing is you have a 88 Whr battery in G752VY(beware of buying JL/JT)
Where as a G751JT has a 88 Whr Battery

As now for your Question :Same as above just don't shed extra 200 bucks in taxes
Also If you are patient wait 1-2 weeks to get some cool Black Friday Discounts.I would recommend keep checking major retailers i.e. Newegg, Xoticpc etc for a good deal

Edweird
10-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Only thing that really draws me to the 6th gen stuff is the new 14nm lithography. Should run a bit cooler.

noobita
10-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Only thing that really draws me to the 6th gen stuff is the new 14nm lithography. Should run a bit cooler.

Don't forget the glorious Nvme PCIe 3.0 SSD's where u get a speed of 1.5 GBps for R/W with a whopping 128 SSD .Pretty much I am sure that not much space will be left after the OS windows 10 & its weekly updates.
When u upgrade your SSD either you have to throw the m2 ssd/hdd out in ASUS G752 unless you are ready to shell out 3.5K :-D

Clintlgm
10-22-2015, 01:24 PM
So your worried about the 128 GB M.2 SSD, what would stop you from purchasing a 256 GB from Amazon or Newegg and selling the 128 GB on Ebay?

Clintlgm
10-22-2015, 01:37 PM
Well If I do purchase a G752 it will be from a custom Vendor, and the reason for this will be to get the bigger OS Drive, dump excess RAM. What will I do with 32 or 64 GB of RAM I have never even considered a VM. And I do want a notebook that has been taken apart and GPU CPU pasted with IC Diamond rather than the pad that Asus Production uses. Also you get a stress tested machine.
The biggest problem we have seen in these forums, since the G75 has been hot running Hardware with people thinking that 80 C is normal or that throttling is acceptable. In this particular forum some were even using modified BIOS to make the fans run faster. we have also see some that Repasted themselves with success 70's C in full stress. So Yea I don't mind paying a few dollars extra to get a notebook that has a very good chance of not having issues. Not being required to have 2 RMS's in the first year of ownership. I also have my own business so I write these off every 3 years.

noobita
10-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Well If I do purchase a G752 it will be from a custom Vendor, and the reason for this will be to get the bigger OS Drive, dump excess RAM. What will I do with 32 or 64 GB of RAM I have never even considered a VM. And I do want a notebook that has been taken apart and GPU CPU pasted with IC Diamond rather than the pad that Asus Production uses. Also you get a stress tested machine.
The biggest problem we have seen in these forums, since the G75 has been hot running Hardware with people thinking that 80 C is normal or that throttling is acceptable. In this particular forum some were even using modified BIOS to make the fans run faster. we have also see some that Repasted themselves with success 70's C in full stress. So Yea I don't mind paying a few dollars extra to get a notebook that has a very good chance of not having issues. Not being required to have 2 RMS's in the first year of ownership. I also have my own business so I write these off every 3 years.

Lets be hopeful that the full length vents on the back show some significant results after all most of buy a ROG for graphics intensive games :-P
As for the SSD, Samsung 950 is almost out I am eagerly waiting for it.Too much hassle to find a buyer for the 128gb SSD better buy from sites like XoticPC.I think Asus will also release more variants, once the prices of these type of SSDs begins to drop.

Edweird
10-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Full lenght vents? Are you sure we're looking at the same images? That's just a plastic cover, the exhaust vents are not bigger (and kind of look smaller) than the G751.

Clintlgm
10-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Well I think the ventilation systems have been just fine for the whole series G75, G750, G751. The issue for the most part seems to be the actual pasting of the CPU and GPU Asus elects to use pads rather than a quality paste. I understand why and this work better for mass production how ever we have all seen reports of significant temp drops when the user that know what he is doing repaste using IC Diamond.

As to new variants it seem to me that Asus puts out basic models and then the Vendors order configuration that suite these Vendors requirements that is where all the different variation's come from. Best Buy is the worst and custom Vendors are the best The big store vendors usually are trying to put out the cheapest version buy having less RAM and cheaper hard drive supplied. Where as the Custom vendors allow you to pick the hard ware you want and insure it is all working before shipping to you. Being in these forums for awhile now I never want to have to send a notebook to Asus repair and with the these G752 being so expensive for me it worth a few more dollars to get one that has been thoroughly checked out.

noobita
10-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Full lenght vents? Are you sure we're looking at the same images? That's just a plastic cover, the exhaust vents are not bigger (and kind of look smaller) than the G751.
I looked at the images again,Yes you are right .I wonder how the 3D mobile Vapor Chamber cooling is gonna do.

Edweird
10-22-2015, 04:45 PM
I looked at the images again,Yes you are right .I wonder how the 3D mobile Vapor Chamber cooling is gonna do.
Slightly wider copper heat tubes is what that seems to be, which is a good thing. Considering this is their second 980M platform (third if you count the G750JY) and the change to 14nm lithography, I wouldn't be surprised if average temps are 5-10 degrees lower.

uprisetv
12-06-2015, 09:29 PM
I couldn't find the answer in this thread, so would love to hear opinions!

I'll probably pull the trigger and buy the G752VY DH78K this week. I'm in the U.S. Who gives the least hassles/scams/problems Xotic or Gentech? Gentech's warranty is slightly cheaper, but I'm thinking of not getting a warranty since almost everything I've read is that everyone's warranties are a hassle - so if we're on our own anyway, why spend on a warranty?

So who do you like to buy from?

toronto699
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM
I bought my G751 from HIDevolution I orderd a G752 from an Asus Repair Center In Toronto CA , the repair center is also a PC shop. as for the retailers mentioned above I preferred HIDevolution {USA} each has a chat feature on their webpage , that's how I chose .
http://www.hidevolution.com/catalogsearch/result/?a=all&q=g752

fiido
12-07-2015, 12:32 AM
I couldn't find the answer in this thread, so would love to hear opinions!

I'll probably pull the trigger and buy the G752VY DH78K this week. I'm in the U.S. Who gives the least hassles/scams/problems Xotic or Gentech? Gentech's warranty is slightly cheaper, but I'm thinking of not getting a warranty since almost everything I've read is that everyone's warranties are a hassle - so if we're on our own anyway, why spend on a warranty?

So who do you like to buy from?

avoid xotic!!!

uprisetv
12-07-2015, 04:51 AM
Thxs! I see them everywhere, they're bad? Where did you get yours?

fiido
12-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Thxs! I see them everywhere, they're bad? Where did you get yours?

The support is just awful.
Just take a look at their forum.

uprisetv
12-07-2015, 06:40 AM
woah! looking at it now. Why would they even keep a forum to field all those complaints publicly? All though I'm glad they do. Seriously THXS! that forum didn't come up in a google search. Looks like Gentech will be the one. Heard anything about them?

uprisetv
12-07-2015, 07:01 AM
WAIT, we can buy DIRECTLY from ASUS? Has anyone tried this?

fiido
12-07-2015, 07:12 AM
While I got mine from Xotic PC, (thus the complaints), I'd seriously suggest buy it from stores. (e.g. Microcenter)
This way, you can get a replacement if issues arise without much hassle.

So far, GSYNC, Backlight bleeding, and popping speaker seems to be common among the G752

RIVETHEAD
12-08-2015, 10:47 PM
First post... Just in case this wasn't posted already. MY apologies if it has.

Microcenter has the G752VT-RH71 for $1,399.99 through the 20th (I believe) of Dec., 2015.

Batogun
12-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Microcenter also has the G752VY-RH71 ( gtx980m, 1tb 7200 hdd + 128gb m.2 pcie ssd ) for $1699.99.. Well, atleast on the newspaper / flier thingie they sent me. It's not yet on their website, Will be going to Tustin on my dayoff to confirm. Because if they do, that's gotta be the best deal for 980 laptop now. I was looking forward to buying the g751jy-wh71 (wx) for 1599 before i got their mail. Though I would still choose the g751jy-wx (if only Microcenter has it too) over the newer g752vy since I don't really care about SSDs. I'd rather have 3 x 2tb 5400 hdd on the g751.

RIVETHEAD
12-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Good Find Batogun!

Confirmed via online ad: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/11210126#/11210126/13
Good through the 20th of this month (Dec, 2015)

Talked to online support. None at my store :(
"We have actually been getting that question a lot for this unit for other locations... it will be a week to two weeks before we get more of them. "

SteelersFANinMA
12-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Good Find Batogun!

Confirmed via online ad: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/11210126#/11210126/13
Good through the 20th of this month (Dec, 2015)

Talked to online support. None at my store :(
"We have actually been getting that question a lot for this unit for other locations... it will be a week to two weeks before we get more of them. "

I just chatted with online customer support and they said that, "They are discontinued and no longer sold at their stores." :(

The next best offer I've seen is here:https://www.excaliberpc.com/637099/asus-g752vy-rh71-17.3-g-sync-full.html

Same price as almost everywhere else, but they're throwing in a mouse pad, a headset, plus the Bullets or Blades promo. If anyone else has found a better offer, please post it.

Tifore
12-11-2015, 09:09 PM
I just chatted with online customer support and they said that, "They are discontinued and no longer sold at their stores." :(

The next best offer I've seen is here:https://www.excaliberpc.com/637099/asus-g752vy-rh71-17.3-g-sync-full.html

Same price as almost everywhere else, but they're throwing in a mouse pad, a headset, plus the Bullets or Blades promo. If anyone else has found a better offer, please post it.

That is odd because after dealing with G-sync issues with 3 of the G752VT's, I told them to order me a VY-RH71 and they have three coming into the store on Tuesday.

MrRuckus
12-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck man. CDW is where I picked up mine. My work actually orders the laptop and it comes directly out of my paycheck. Nice in the sense that I dont have to pay it all at once, but not so nice because I don't get to pick the retailer. My previous ROG laptops came shipped on boxes, so they were essentially double boxed (original Asus box, shipping box), but this one did not. It came in JUST the Asus box. I was a little worried about this, but everything seems to be in working order and luckily no damage to the outside of the box.

RIVETHEAD
12-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Microcenter in Dallas has the G752VT-RH71 for $1299. They have 8 or 9 in stock.

vore01
12-12-2015, 09:16 PM
When I first joined this esteemed assemblage i was looking for the perfect retailer for my laptop purchase. i think I pretty much found them.
GenTech PC in California.

I did some research on companies that customize laptops and all the reviews came back positive for Ken. Although I've had problems with my actual laptop and had to return it, Ken at GenTech PC accepted my UPS tracking number for the return and sent out a new machine before he even received my defective laptop back at his shop

I kidded him once saying how did he know I wasn't sending him old Playboy magazines in the returned box.

AND in addition to him having a wonderful sense of humor he sent my new machine 3 day UPS delivery without charging me extra. He always returned emails and was always there to speak to over the phone.

I can't say enough good things about that company other then I'll be ordering additional laptops from them in the future.

uprisetv
12-14-2015, 01:00 AM
So is CDW reliable? Their prices seem to be better than everyone elses.

vore01
12-14-2015, 01:14 AM

seem to be well liked
https://www.cdwg.com/content/about/cdw-reviews.aspx

MrRuckus
12-15-2015, 12:07 AM

Yeah CDW is an authorized reseller. They are more business oriented so they arent as well known as say Newegg or Amazon, but end users can order from them without issue. My G750 was actually drop shipped straight from Asus by CDW. My friend who was our network administrator at the time thought I wanted it next day air. So he chose next day air for shipping which I ended up paying for. That was something like $100. haha. All 3 of my previous ROG laptops have been from CDW.

SteelersFANinMA
12-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Just checked Micro Center again. Even after they said that they were discontinued my location got 6 in today! I've waited to pull the trigger and it's going to pay off since I just reserved one for my son. This is the lowest price I've seen, $1699.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=889196

uprisetv
12-25-2015, 01:55 AM
I went ahead and ordered from CDW, sadly they're on backorder so who knows when I'll actually get it. So far so good with the pricing and customer service. Of course I don't actually have the machine so we'll see. (also as a p.s. the guy from GenTech was no help. Yes, as many say he does have a good sense of humor, but that's no qualification for ordering an expensive ROG. He was pretty useless - I think he has enough business and doesn't really care for more). I hope CDW comes through. If these are backordered, does anyone have it yet? Even the ASUS store says "Coming Soon."

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Pulled the trigger on a G752VY-DH72 at Costco online. They are currently running a special on this model and the flagship DH78K. Best price I've seen to date anywhere it's good enough to make it worth the membership if you don't have it. $1999 and $2999 with free shipping and also gets you a 2 year warranty as well as their 1 year accidental damage warranty. Offer good through 01/17 or while supplies last. The DH78K is back ordered, says 2 weeks but they will still take the order. Have been looking for awhile and this gets you the DH72 for the going rate of the stripped down RH71 with extra warranty also a 90 day full refund policy.