PDA

View Full Version : G751JT ODD Hard Drive makes loud sound when restarting

Rares95
10-26-2015, 05:20 PM
So i noticed when restarting the HDD in my ODD bay makes one pretty loud click noise ONLY when restarting. I never heard this sound until i installed the HDD in my ODD bay. They are both HGST Travelstar 7k1000. Hard Disk sentinel says both drives are in perfect condition.

The sound it makes https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6x72eb8syc4hpm/HDD%20Click.mp3?dl=0

aeolisio
10-26-2015, 08:01 PM
There are normal clicks and clicks warning you of impending failure but without hearing it i cant tell you which is which. Bear in mind the optical bay will bleed more sound then the caddy under the laptop because it has a more open air direct path to your ear. Switch the drives around and if the noise is gone you know its the drive. and if not its your perception. Im not sure why anyone would still be using hdds with the price of 850 evos but thats the risk you get with the physical moving parts. I have also seen sentinel tell me a disk was fine right before it failed multiple times so take those tests with a grain of salt like a check engine light.

Vythica
10-27-2015, 12:15 AM
My G751JY Makes that same sound when turning off, rebooting or weirdly enough when idling after about 30 mins without using it, It never makes that sound when I actually use it for gaming or reading it.
Mine is not as loud as yours, but maybe its because of the bay change, but it does make that exact same noise. It has been doing it for months, since i got my RoG

You actually gave me peace of mind lol, As i was worried alot about that noise when it idled, i always thought it was the drive falling asleep.

Rares95
10-27-2015, 10:21 AM
I read that it could be because it cuts the power to the HDD then the magnet parks the head by "force". But i don't know... At least now i know it's not just me

Edweird
10-27-2015, 11:01 AM
There are normal clicks and clicks warning you of impending failure but without hearing it i cant tell you which is which. Bear in mind the optical bay will bleed more sound then the caddy under the laptop because it has a more open air direct path to your ear. Switch the drives around and if the noise is gone you know its the drive. and if not its your perception. Im not sure why anyone would still be using hdds with the price of 850 evos but thats the risk you get with the physical moving parts. I have also seen sentinel tell me a disk was fine right before it failed multiple times so take those tests with a grain of salt like a check engine light.

Well, a piece of hardware only works until it doesn't. :)
It works 100% at 99% of the time and it works 0% at 1% of the time, such are the woes of hardware geeks yap yap yap blah

I wouldn't worry about this. My spinner does the same in the usual spot for the HDD, I hear it doing it but I have to listen for it, else I don't notice. Aeolisio is probs right, sound isolation. The old Acer we have at home has been kicking for 5 years now with a HDD in the ODD bay and has been making those noises all this time and it hasn't failed once. Roll with it.