PDA

View Full Version : G53SW-A1 Newbie. How to get to BIOS to try to add HyperX 240GB SSD

Russell Moss
12-21-2011, 07:22 PM
First, thank you for taking time to read my problem(s).

I've got multiple questions/problems with this new laptop from Fry's. Not getting ANY support from Kingston on my choice of a new SSD to go with my new G53SW-A1. Inclination is to go to BIOS to add the HyperX 240GB SSD but the laptop doesn't flash the BIOS and goes straight to WIN7 at startup. To add insult to injury when I blind emailed Asus Support and was given a REQ ID # I finally got an acknowledgement that they received my email but 3 weeks passed before an email listing my Support Request info in the Subject line from some sketchy individual listed as "Bubble Liu" showed up in my personal inbox. Luckily, I opened the official "looking" email saying that Asus wouldn't support my request for info about BIOS because it was a "hardware modification", on a different laptop...because..when I went to participate in the built in "rating" survey request, it launched Trojans everywhere and my virus check programs went wild. I'm still fighting issues on that laptop courtesy of the spoofed ASUS support email with my actual case listed.

So, now I have a SSD drive that the G53SW-A1 wont recognize and while I'm pretty sure my Diablotek is the right one I question whether it is REALLY an external drive like NewEgg claims it is and that might be an issue to. Seems the SSD marketeers are pretty "fast and loose" with selling SSD kits and mixing them as "external". Any suggestions/help is much appreciated.

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Inclination is to go to BIOS to add the HyperX 240GB SSD but the laptop doesn't flash the BIOS and goes straight to WIN7 at startup.
Not sure what the question is, but if it's "how do I access BIOS setup?", the answer is that you press F2 immediately after powering up the computer.

So, now I have a SSD drive that the G53SW-A1 wont recognize and while I'm pretty sure my Diablotek is the right one I question whether it is REALLY an external drive like NewEgg claims it is and that might be an issue to. Seems the SSD marketeers are pretty "fast and loose" with selling SSD kits and mixing them as "external". Any suggestions/help is much appreciated.
I don't understand what you're asking.....or talking about....what's Diablotek?

Big picture....what are you actually trying to do here? Install a new SSD and use it as your OS drive?

Russell Moss
12-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Thanks BrodyB. Yes, one question I had was how to access the BIOS pages on my G53SW-A1. I'll try F2 again as I tried all the function keys initially without interrupting the startup to Win7. Diablotek is a brand of USB 3.0 cable that is needed to connect to the Kingston (and other SSD's using the 3.0 for power and external data throughput) HyperX 240 Gig SSD I'm trying to use externally for a data drive mostly for media.

Also, has anyone been sent an "ASUS Support" confirmation email directing them to http://vip.asus.com/eservice...before? Is this legit or part of the spoofed virus filled email I got that I mentioned above?

BrodyBoy
12-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Ah, okay. Just press F2 repeatedly after powering up. That should get you into the BIOS.

Just out or curiosity, why not use the SSD internally as your OS drive?

Russell Moss
12-22-2011, 05:59 AM
I've heard horror stories about how hard it is to access the disk drive bays on the G53SW-A1 (lots has to come off including keyboard and some hard to reach screws, etc) and I'm not at all savvy with aftermarket issues as they relate to voiding my laptops warranty and to be honest I have such a struggle just getting basic relability out of PC's in general I didn't want to temp fate as it was..so I opted for what Newegg calls an "external" drive but I"m wondering if its really useable outside the mounting bracket after all. I see others are having hell connecting SSD's to Asus laptops.

Kyler
06-24-2014, 03:57 PM
You also must attempt to access bios after restart and not after shut down. I know there is nothing out there to indicate this but it was true for me.