PDA

View Full Version : G751JY Slow start or not shutdown

chris.ison
11-01-2015, 05:35 AM
Hello,

When I use the shutdown command my laptop doesn't always shutdown, instead it goes to sleep, or worse hibernates. Then on start up it won't actually start up. The screen stays blank, and an just sits there. it can take 15 minutes or more for the screen to actually display the log in screen. Can remove apecie fo software, or set some flag that makes the computer to actually shutdown on shutdown? I have tried the windows settings but it doesn't work. Finally, what function key takes me to BIOS settings so I can turn off silent start up?

Thank you,

Christopher Ison

Gps3dx
11-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi there @chris.ison,
it sound like more of a HW problem, if you really don't exaggerate about these 15 min.
even while OS installed on a MBR spining HDD with CSM enabled in bios ( i.e uefi off ) - it should take ~2-4 top to boot into windows logon screen.

I know that during POST ( i.e when you see rog and/or intel logo after power on ), the OS load can be delayed if you have some external usb connected to it ( mainly external HDD/disk-on-key ) or you got a CD/DVD in its optical bay.
Thus, Try to get this media out of the optical bay and/or disconnect any external storage devices from your laptop prior to windows loading ( i.e during POST ).

about your last question regarding "silent start-up" - these feature exist in a PC desktop usually, not in the G751 serie.
The only switch I can think about that you can toggle is the "fast startup" -> look in your laptop manual (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G751JY/0409_E9959_A.pdf) page 80.

Please also note, that any OS ( windows/linux etc ) installed on a drive formatted with MBR layout and Bios option CSM enabled -> "runs on" OLD BIOS ( instead of UEFI on a gpt formatted drive ), thus it causes longer OS loading time.
Please refer to my sticky thread guide to read more about it: Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based) installation) (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation))