PDA

View Full Version : EP121 SD Cards

cgaiii
12-21-2011, 08:38 PM
I just received my EP121 (Refurbished from the eStore). I am very impressed with this machine and am glad I did not just make do with a tablet. Having a real computer in this form is great.

Questions:

1. I want to get an SD card for more storage. I have been looking at SDHC and SDXC cards. My question is how fast is fast enough for general purpose computing and perhaps even trying to manipulate some programs onto the card -- The Extreme Pro Scandisk cards are pretty pricey, but I am not sure they would make a difference in this application. Anyone know?

2. Slimming down Windows. I have gotten the Office 2010 trial off. Anyone have any insight into what other components will save space. Would getting rid of Windows Live save significant space?
What have others done to slim down the Windows 7 (Home Premium) footprint?

3. Anyone successfully installing programs or parts of programs on SD cards?

4. Anyone using SD card for paging file, etc.? How does it affect performance.

Thank you.

Charles Aschmann

xeromist
12-21-2011, 09:23 PM
My personal opinion is go size over speed if you have to trade off. You have internal memory and an SSD for things that need to be fast. Get a card big enough to offload all of the things you don't need to be fast and then you'll have the space for speedy things. A class 10 is 10MB/s so decently fast and widely available. I would use that as a starting point and look for higher speeds if they are in the budget.

I haven't used an EP121 but a flash card appears as a removable storage device just like anything else. It should be no problem to install things on it.

I wouldn't use flash for paging unless you have to. The SSD should be faster.

cgaiii
12-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Thank you for the reply.
I have read more on the performance of SDHC and SDXC cards. I wonder if the reader in the Eee Slate EP121 is a 3.0 compliant reader or not. If it is, it can take advantage of the highest speeds, if not money can be saved by using a SDHC card.
Anybody know what level of reader is used in the EP121. It says SDXC compatible, but does it run through USB 2.0, USB 3.0 or some other direct connection?

cgaiii
01-05-2012, 03:04 PM
I heard from ASUS that the EP121 can only take a 16GB SD card, so that limits size.
Anyone know the I/O specs for the card slot. What speed will it handle?