PDA

View Full Version : Little Help with G751JY thermal paste replacement and Samsung M.2 SM951 SSD upgrade

brandonsrc
11-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Greetings guys. I recently bought a G751JY gaming laptop from Asus. I am wondering that does Asus use a high quality thermal compound for G751JY. If its a cheap paste, can I repaste the CPU and GPU without voiding the warranty? Not going to repaste myself as G751JY is not a cheap laptop maybe will call somebody else to repaste for me or I can get a high end paste and calk Asus to repaste for me?

2. Can G751JY support Samsung M.2 SM951 SSD as it is the fastest SSD currently.

Really need you all's help ;)

Korth
11-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Asus uses some sort of pink goop. Always the pink goop. An unspecified, generic, cheap metal oxide thermal paste. On everything.

Sometimes they apply far too much and it leaks everywhere, sometimes they apply nowhere near enough, either way it doesn't do its job and devices overheat easily. For the most part Asus puts the right amount of cheap pink goop onboard and applies it evenly. These ROG forums are filled with endless complaints about sloppy TIM or dry-cooked TIM causing device failure, but the rest of the world is filled with people who are largely happy with their Asus toys.

Many ROG folks have completely replaced the pink factory goop with whatever TIM they prefer, most report substantially improved temps and performance thresholds. Once you pop your laptop apart it'll be completely out of warranty, if you break anything then you're on your own.

brandonsrc
11-05-2015, 10:58 AM
Then can G751JY support Samsung M.2 SM951 SSD? Don't want to get in trouble after I purchase SM951

Corporal
11-05-2015, 11:25 AM
There are 2 versions, buy the AHCI version, the other one is not compatible

aeolisio
11-09-2015, 07:05 AM
Greetings guys. I recently bought a G751JY gaming laptop from Asus. I am wondering that does Asus use a high quality thermal compound for G751JY. If its a cheap paste, can I repaste the CPU and GPU without voiding the warranty? Not going to repaste myself as G751JY is not a cheap laptop maybe will call somebody else to repaste for me or I can get a high end paste and calk Asus to repaste for me?

2. Can G751JY support Samsung M.2 SM951 SSD as it is the fastest SSD currently.

Really need you all's help ;)
Its not pink its white and cant really be distinguished from noctua NT-H1 which is far superior. I have repasted and then had to RMA multiple g751s with never a problem.
The sm951 works fine it needs to be the AHCI
make sure you install windows correctly from a usb.
Heres a basic guide for ahci install thats very easy
https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-...p941-ss/138296
Look at the stick it should say MZ-HPV if its AHCI if it says MZ-VPV its a NVME version