PDA

View Full Version : Backtracker and windows 10

recon
11-07-2015, 11:27 PM
CAN I USE BACKTRACKER NOW THAT I have upgraded to win 10?Please advise, thanks.
If not are there files I can delete (I had already run backtracker)

toronto699
11-08-2015, 03:22 AM
how did u upgrade to W10 ?

recon
11-08-2015, 03:30 AM
I used windows upgrade!

Gps3dx
11-08-2015, 06:05 PM
CAN I USE BACKTRACKER NOW THAT I have upgraded to win 10?Please advise, thanks.
If not are there files I can delete (I had already run backtracker)
you need to provide more details about your issue:
do you want to perform a backup using backtracker ?
OR
do you want to restore win ( 8.1/ 10 ??? ) using backtracker ?

the answer to the 1st Q is that asus's backtracker app designed to work on win8/8.1 PRE INSTALLED systems ONLY. ( i.e OEM windows you got ftom asus as you bought the laptop ) -> reason: backtracker creates this "restore disk/files" by using the pre-installed window's files.
if NO PRE-INSTALLED windows present ->
the answer to the 2nd Q is that you might only succeed to "restore" the pre-installed win8/8.1 ONLY IF YOU MADE A RESTORE DISK/FILES somewhere safe BEFOREHAND, i.e in advanced, before win10 upgrade ( using a pre-installed windows from asus ).
note, that this restore action will return you to win8/8.1 -> BUT YOUR PRODUCT KEY WON'T BE GENUINE AS YOU ALREADY UPGRADE IT TO BE WIN10 COMPATIBLE !
thus, you 1st need to "rollback" the win10 upgrade to be a win8.1 -> only then, you know your product key is a win8.1 compatible.
then, and only then, you can perform the "Restore" operation to get back that bloated-slow-bugged-**** of a pre-installed windows from asus.

I used windows upgrade!
my opinion -> expect troubles in the near future, unless you perform CLEAN install of windows 10 ( now that you've upgrade your product key to be win10 compatible, you can perform clean install )

recon
11-09-2015, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the info, That is the answer I needed. Drat! Ill do the clean install. I appreciate all the education

Clintlgm
11-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Yes Backtracker work by copying the Asus restore partition, which would be window 8 or 8.1. so it won't really work for you with win 10. I suggest Macrium Reflect free (http://www.macrium.com/pages/windows10.aspx) you can image your hard drive/SSD and restore to that same condition as when the Image was created.