PDA

View Full Version : Information requested about the G501JW-CN131T before purchase

Dagrut
11-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for informations about the asus laptop G501JW-CN131T (which I would buy here http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00195873.html ), since I would be really interested to buy it, but I need to know some things first, which it seems I can't find anywhere...
- Does anyone know how is the linux support on it? I need to be sure that I can run a GNU/Linux OS on it (Debian based) and that things like the touchpad, ethernet or wifi are working properly.
- Also, it is not clear if it has an ethernet interface or not, since I read 10/100 base T everywhere, but a 100Mbps interface only would be weird...
If it does, I need to know if it works well using virtualbox, since I know some people that have other ROG computers and who can't enable bridge with their physical network interface... :-/ (both on windows or linux)

Also two last minor points : Does the motherboard support NVMe SSDs, like the samsung 950 pro? And also, I heard from a friend that some ROG models have a problem with their keyboard : the middle keyboard keys may get lower than the border keys with time, like the board was bending. Is that true?

I know that it's quite a lot of questions for a single post, so feel free to tell me if I need to split it :-) .

Thank you!

xarot
11-10-2015, 01:32 PM
It does NOT have an Ethernet port. It's been done via USB to Ethernet dongle.

Dagrut
11-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Thank you xarot! At least this point is clear, and I know that virtualbox should not have any problem with it :-) .