PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G56JR Sleep function not working

Irrition
11-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Hi guys,

Just recently, my laptop's sleep function stopped working. Based on the default settings, whenever i closed the lid, with the power options set to "Sleep" whenever lid is closed, the computer would simply restart itself and reboot after i open the lid. Also, i tested the sleep function and all that it does is to reboot my computer upon waking my computer from this "Sleep" by pressing a key.

Currently, i have ameliorated this problem by choosing the settings under Power Options to "Do nothing" whenever i close the lid. This is however, an extremely irritating issue as i'm losing alot of battery since my computer is running all the way from whence it first starts up without being able to sleep.... Is there any way around it?

If it's of any use, I'm currently running Windows 10, and this problem occurred pre- Windows 10 as well.

wiwahib
11-13-2015, 05:44 PM
I just got done resolving this issue with my g751. Do you have an SSD installed? I changed the power settings so that the computer hibernates instead of sleeps. I don't know if the SSD operates too quickly for it to sleep properly but it solved my issue. I have Win 10 as well.

Irrition
11-14-2015, 10:01 AM
I just got done resolving this issue with my g751. Do you have an SSD installed? I changed the power settings so that the computer hibernates instead of sleeps. I don't know if the SSD operates too quickly for it to sleep properly but it solved my issue. I have Win 10 as well.

Hi, i do have a SSD installed(Cruxial 512 GB MX100 SSD), but this issue only started occurring about 10 months after i installed my SSD. Previously, sleep wasn't an issue. I currently have Hybrid Sleep turned on, and it does allow the laptop to go to sleep. However, if the laptop is in hybrid sleep for too long, the same issue occurs where the computer simply reboots when i wake it from this hybrid-sleep state.

Could this be a hardware problem?

wiwahib
11-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Hi, i do have a SSD installed(Cruxial 512 GB MX100 SSD), but this issue only started occurring about 10 months after i installed my SSD. Previously, sleep wasn't an issue. I currently have Hybrid Sleep turned on, and it does allow the laptop to go to sleep. However, if the laptop is in hybrid sleep for too long, the same issue occurs where the computer simply reboots when i wake it from this hybrid-sleep state.

Could this be a hardware problem?

This happened to me again last night, but I had forgot to change the settings for low battery power. I am also using full hibernate, not hybrid sleep. If you go to your advanced power options, if you let your battery get to low, the low and critical settings are still set to put your computer to sleep. You would need to modify these settings as well so it doesn't go to sleep. Again, this is what worked for me.

Dmitry94
01-11-2016, 08:49 AM
This started happening to me (G550JK) as well after installing an ssd. I don't want to enable the hybrid sleep, since it's a dirty workaround. Is there any known solution to this problem? And I wonder why an ssd breaks the sleep functionality. I even tried unplugging battery (I saw some guy advising to do so for zenbook owners), it didn't help.

Dmitry94
01-12-2016, 06:14 AM
I asked a question concerning this issue on the intel ssd support forum and I got a response saying that "... The Intel® SSD 530 Series has new low power features designed for Ultrabooks and low consumptions PC's, this includes the DevSleep functionality.

The SSD itself does not require any special driver nor configuration, however, some older systems may not be fully compatible with newer power saving features. We advise you to check the Computer Manufacturer Support Websites, confirm that you are using the most recent BIOS available for your PC, as well as updated chipset/storage controller drivers, also, check with them if your system supports Devsleep.

In some cases, you may be able to prevent this type of issue by disabling fast boot or other similar technologies in the BIOS. ..."

Maybe the same applies to you: your ssd supports DevSlp while the laptop doesn't?

Dmitry94
01-12-2016, 09:15 AM
Check out this (https://communities.intel.com/thread/97372) post. Although, I can't check if it helps myself now.

Dmitry94
03-20-2016, 07:47 PM
If anyone is still suffering from this issue, I have found a solution (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?82017-My-G550JK-laptop-reboots-when-waking-up-from-sleep-mode).