PDA

View Full Version : G752 Thunderbolt 3, only 20 Gbit/s ?

idan peres
11-14-2015, 06:47 PM
hi, im idan and im thinking to buy the G752 and i have 2 questions:

on the G752 page its says that it support TB3 and 20 Gbit/s (TB3 should be 40 Gbit/s)
1. is it a typo on the site or its only support the connector of TB3 with the speed of TB2 ?

2. dose all models support gsync ?
the model i will buy is Asus G752VT-T7017T, unfortunately i dont see any word about gsync support on the site i will buy it from.

ty.

toronto699
11-14-2015, 07:57 PM
As Some Owners have found , the only way to be sure of what the G752 u decide to buy is a confirmation from the seller of all hardware and what the hardware is capable of. Where will u order your G752 from , there has been some issues With G-Sync , supposedly All G752's support G-Sync

idan peres
11-15-2015, 03:41 AM
ok and any idea about the TB3 speed ?

Tidbits
11-15-2015, 05:11 AM
I believe to stop confusion they rated it at 20 and not 40. You need a special cable to make it 40 and I believe they do not have those cables for sale at this time. So if they rated it at 40 and people were not getting them then there would be a lot of unhappy people.

commonsensie
11-15-2015, 04:53 PM
i asked this question on another forum. got this answer "Over two channels, it's 20 per channel IIRC.".

idan peres
11-15-2015, 05:07 PM
and u understood what it mean ?
because i didn't really understand what "two channels", the main thing i want that connector is future external GPU and i want it as fast as possible

commonsensie
11-15-2015, 08:04 PM
and u understood what it mean ?
because i didn't really understand what "two channels", the main thing i want that connector is future external GPU and i want it as fast as possible

to be honest i assumed that tb3 has two channels of 20gbps each. But i researched a little bit more and this andandtech article about TB3 may be of little help: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9331/intel-announces-thunderbolt-3

Following is an extract from the article

"From a signaling standpoint, Thunderbolt 3 is being implemented as a USB alternate mode, taking over the 4 lanes of high-speed data that Type-C offers. This is the same number of lanes as Thunderbolt 1 and 2 used, so the bandwidth increase comes as a result of doubling the amount of data carried per lane from 10Gbps (half duplex) to 20Gbps."

and if you read the verbatim on asus website it says "single-cable data and signal transmission rates of up to 20Gbits/s".

And about TB3 in general as indicated by Tidbits earlier Tb3 will work at different speeds depending on which wire you use. Passive cables will work at 20gbps and active cables will work at 40gbs.

As clear from my reply, i am also trying to figure this out like you are and this is the best i have got, so you may want to research a bit yourself too. Even i wanted to buy a laptop with TB3 so that i can later have some sort of egpu support in future. I finally decided to buy G752VT-RH71 and ordered it a couple of days ago.

idan peres
11-15-2015, 11:02 PM
im gonig back and forth between the alianware 17 and the G752...

alianware 17 have some strong points over the G752...
cheaper, thinner, lighter, cheap egpu dock with known PCI-E3.0 X4.

but no Gsync and the egpu use a spacial connector...

commonsensie
11-16-2015, 05:54 PM
im gonig back and forth between the alianware 17 and the G752...

alianware 17 have some strong points over the G752...
cheaper, thinner, lighter, cheap egpu dock with known PCI-E3.0 X4.

but no Gsync and the egpu use a spacial connector...

Thinner, lighter and 8 cell battery (vs 6 cell in g752) yes but i dont think AW is cheaper that G752. They are priced almost at par only difference is with asus you get accidental warranty for which you will have to pay extra with dell.

Graphics amp is one big plus i think if you looking for that sort of thing. From what i understand there has always been egpus but nothing plug n play and refined as aw amp. Intel seem to be hinting that they will support egpu with TB3 but that is yet to be seen where as you already know that AW amps work fine.

I think both are good choices i choose asus for TB3, better cooling the amazing looks. But i hear you about the confusion, if i had looked into AW my choice would have been difficult coz i only checked asus, msi and clevo. Msi and clevo didnt have TB3 in 1500 price range so it was easier for me to choose asus. Well like they, say ignorance is bliss.