PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about win 10 and 751jy?

AQUASTEVAE
11-17-2015, 07:11 PM
since i have been running win 10, i have found two problems that i can not solve. so i am hoping someone on here can. fist, if you activate background slideshow, and set it to one minute in settings, it resets all open windows every time it changes the background picture. for example, if i am searching a folder with 200 files in it, and maybe i have worked my way down to the 120th file, once the slideshow changes the background, my window immediately goes back to the top of the window, and file number one, effectively causing me to lose my place, of where i was searching. it is extremely aggravating!
second, shut down and restart are extremely slow, compared to win 8 or even early builds of win 10. my computer use to go from inside the os, to back inside the os in a restart in 14 secs. now it takes a full 30 secs. in fact, i use to be able to shut down in 4-6 secs, and now it takes exactly twenty secs every time. i use to be able to boot into the os from cold start in about 6-7 secs, and now it takes more than 18 secs. i have tried several of the tweaks, such as changing the reg keys to 2000 ms, but it just isn't working. anyone who knows a sure way to speed it up, i would forever be in your debt. thanks!

Korth
11-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Win8 and Win10 both have these and many other similar problems in Explorer (Windows File Manager). Largely because it's system-embedded into the same processes and libraries as Explorer (Internet Explorer Browser). Too much sneaky caching and background activity, it's annoying.

There's plenty of guides on sites like lifehacker which delve into the many things you have to do with your Registry to control most of this annoying behaviour.

I found it far simpler to install an alternate web browser and alternate file manager. I prefer Chrome and FreeCommander, but there are many awesome (free) products to choose from. Or just use linux, lol.

cpasoft
11-17-2015, 07:31 PM
You can also use the magnificent John's background Switcher... The best for me, with a lot of customizations and absolutely free...
For the second question, I have not noticed any differences from win 8 to win 10 in the boot time.

joro_abv
11-18-2015, 07:27 AM
Just an idea, but try switching on "launch folder windows in separate process" and see if it gonna make any difference. As of startup times ... I only had a slow down when I did the latest so called "fall" update - had to re-install most of the drivers to get the system back to normal boot speed. Other than that - no difference between 8.1, 10 and 10 Fall update.

AQUASTEVAE
11-22-2015, 08:02 AM
thanks for all of your ideas. i have loaded john's bg switcher, and while it does give a lot more options, it also still resets the windows back to the top. this is with out a doubt my biggest hatred of win 10. if anyone knows of how to stop this window reset by the background switcher, please, please let me know.
and for the record, i have all updated drivers on all of my hardware. as much as i hated win 8, my restart times were 14 secs system to system, now it takes roughly 30 secs, give or take one or two. i would really love to get my restart times below 20 secs. so if anyone knows of any other info for that as well, i am all ears. btw, i did also try the, switching on "launch folder windows in separate process", but i didn't see any changes with that either.