PDA

View Full Version : ASUS ROG GL551JW - doesn't use internet on max speed

nbstw
11-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Hello,

I am using Windows 7 on ASUS ROG GL551JW.

The problem is with the internet connection. The speed on this laptop is not on maximum use I mean this laptop doesn't use the real speed of my internet.

My old laptop doesn't have that problem. It is Sony Vaio.

I tested both laptops speeds in-game(CS:GO), torrent downloading and speedtest

With Asus ROG in-game I have awful ping and crazy laggs. With the old laptop I don't have any worries with the laggs, working great.

With Asus ROG I download with 1.6 MB(maximum speed, that's even too much :o). With Sony Vaio I was downloading with 5.6 MB the same torrent.

Speedtest is amazingly different.

Everything I tested is same at all. I tested everything in the same way. The speed on both laptops are really really different.

I downloaded Driver Booster to update all my drivers, yet still have the problem. (I did that because before I download that program I couldn't install the Ethernet Controller driver, it was giving me error, maybe cause I use windows 7, but I can't find win7 driver for it. There is just 8,10 etc.). But with Driver Booster it was installed properly as I am seeing in Device Manager.

Maybe it is because of Windows 7, because there is not drivers for win7 on asus support site and I downloaded win8 drivers for everything. If it is because of that I would go again to Win10(which I don't like)

I attached some pictures of the differences between both laptops.

collnc
12-08-2015, 05:24 PM
I have the exact same issue, but im using Win10. I figured it was my internet, not my laptop, so I spent a good hour on the phone with Charter testing my connection and everything was working properly. I hope someone has a solution for this :mad:

Gps3dx
12-08-2015, 06:40 PM
Hello,
This topic was discussed already, two months ago: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?74521-GL551JW-WiFi-issues
In the future, please use the search feature embedded in this forum to look for similar thread before opening same topic thread.
( tis was a specific thread can be used as a "knowledge house" for everyone ).

Also, quick search in this sub-forum can also return multiple threads about ROG wifi card's lag / ping spikes ( typically because of internal Intel's Wifi Card )
Please take a look at this comprehensive thread, that contains some ideas (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61182-Intel-s-Wireless-Adapter-7260-Troubleshooting-Ping-Issues) how to deal with that issue.

WineLackey
12-09-2015, 02:06 AM
I had the same problem with a new GL552VW-DH71. The problem was with the Windows 10 default TCP/IP settings. Here's what took care of it for me:

1. Go to speedguide.net and download the TCP Optimizer.
2. Run it as administrator
3. Use the slider control to indicate the speed of your Internet connection.
4. Click the radio button for optimal settings and then apply them.

After doing this I got the results I expected (and then some) at speedtest.net.