PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt does not work for hard drive, but does for monitor G55VW

tazgore
11-20-2015, 04:56 PM
I have a G55VW that does not recognize a Thunderbolt hard drive (same drive is recognized over usb), but it will function for a display
monitor via a thunderbolt to dvi adapter.
Here is a little history; This laptop originally came with win 8.1. At that point, the Thunderbolt drive worked. I installed Win 7 on
the laptop, and installed an msata ssd internal drive. I cannot say for certain after which change did the thunderbolt drive stop
working. There is a pic with this post that shows the message that i received concerning the AHCI controller on the device manager.
Since the message said that there were too many resources being used to run the drive, I disabled the DVD player on ATA channel 2.
This did not solve the issue.
I cannot figure out if this is hardware related, like it seems or software related. I would hope that the G55VW could handle a hard drive
on every port that it has, but I hate to make that assumption.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Clintlgm
11-20-2015, 11:45 PM
You don't have TB you only have mini display port. I don't think any of the VW ever got Thunder Bolt the VX were the first. Yea really pissed me off when I found out too.

tazgore
11-21-2015, 01:42 PM
It actually is thunderbolt, and as I had stated above this hard drive worked before I had made modifications to my computer. I don't know if it is a difference between win 8 drivers and win 7 drivers, or if it is the Msata ssd drive that I installed that caused the thunderbolt port to stop working properly

Thanks for the post though!!

Pandur
11-21-2015, 08:27 PM
Some G55VW laptops did come with thunderbolt. It should be a symbol over the port to indicate so. And if it used to work then I would suggest checking bios that it's not disabled there and then it's a matter of drivers.