PDA

View Full Version : Gl552vw hdd swap fail

HickHackerz
11-21-2015, 05:15 AM
Just received GL552VW and works just fine. However I have a SATA SSD that I would like to swap in. SSD was cloned and when put into the Asus, nothing. No power, no lights. :mad: Put original HDD back in, battery and power are out, once back in it will boot.

So far I have made sure Secure boot was disabled. Tried with UEFI on and CSM enabled as well. Doesn't seem to matter since it will not even power up to POST.

I even tried another random drive I had, same issue.

aeolisio
11-21-2015, 08:52 AM
More info needed there. Which ssd? Dont clone it tried to boot and clean install with a usb.

HickHackerz
11-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Issue isn't cloning at all.

I have an OCZ Vertex 3 256GB SSD that came out of a Lenovo Y580 laptop used for 1yr. Upgraded to this Asus lappy and figured would do the same and install OS and then clone drive and swap drives.

First time I did this, the laptop would not light up, power on or show that power was applied. I pulled battery, power and let it sit.
Tried again but same issue. I put the original 1TB HGST drive in, powers on.

kdavis11_1
11-25-2015, 04:35 PM
I had same thing, tried swapping out 1TB hard drive that came with the laptop with an old 160 gigger for Linux testing. No power, no lights. Put 1TB back in and laptop powers on fine.

HickHackerz
11-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Waiting for Asus email support to get back to me 48hrs after each email sent.
So far its taken 4 days to say that I have an SSD sata drive, 2.5" model. I also have 2 2.5" HDD plus the original 1TB model.

so far its make sure the SSD works, hmm... All 3 drives work in usb enclosure plus in the laptop it just came out of 4 days ago. And that is as far as it goes...

HickHackerz
11-30-2015, 04:55 PM
I had same thing, tried swapping out 1TB hard drive that came with the laptop with an old 160 gigger for Linux testing. No power, no lights. Put 1TB back in and laptop powers on fine.

Well they think the mobo is bad. Expect it works great other than swapping the sata3 drive..

kdavis11_1
12-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Well they think the mobo is bad. Expect it works great other than swapping the sata3 drive..

Yes, mine laptop works fine until I swap the 1 TB hard drive. If they are saying bad mobo, are they willing to RMA the laptop? I you don't mind, please let me know how your case ends up.

HickHackerz
12-02-2015, 02:08 PM
I would need to have the retailer/supplier handle the RMA or exchange.

I have 4 of these laptops, and I will try in another to see if the issue is the same. I can't understand why a working SATA3 port would not work for a difference device, or why the laptop wont even post without the orginal back in.

Mt8901
12-06-2015, 07:08 PM
I would need to have the retailer/supplier handle the RMA or exchange.

I have 4 of these laptops, and I will try in another to see if the issue is the same. I can't understand why a working SATA3 port would not work for a difference device, or why the laptop wont even post without the orginal back in.

I have the same problem when I swap HD with ScanDisk Ultra Plus (256G). My bigger problem is the laptop can't come to live even swap back to 1T HD.

HickHackerz
12-07-2015, 06:25 AM
I have the same problem when I swap HD with ScanDisk Ultra Plus (256G). My bigger problem is the laptop can't come to live even swap back to 1T HD.

Make sure power and battery are disconnected, try power button then plug it all back in. Seems to be exactly like mine, if I swap with battery left in, even orginal HDD won't power it back up.

Funny thing is I put the SSD into a usb enclosure and can boot from it, detects fine in bios. Well not at funny, starting to tick me off that a simple drive swap won't work. I have 16 *other brand* laptops in boxes that I can image, swap ram, swap drives perfectly fine. I have 26 desktops that I can do the same thing to, brand new ones.
Y can't a simple SATA drive swap work in this special gaming series laptop.

Mt8901
12-08-2015, 02:12 AM
Make sure power and battery are disconnected, try power button then plug it all back in. Seems to be exactly like mine, if I swap with battery left in, even orginal HDD won't power it back up.

Funny thing is I put the SSD into a usb enclosure and can boot from it, detects fine in bios. Well not at funny, starting to tick me off that a simple drive swap won't work. I have 16 *other brand* laptops in boxes that I can image, swap ram, swap drives perfectly fine. I have 26 desktops that I can do the same thing to, brand new ones.
Y can't a simple SATA drive swap work in this special gaming series laptop.

If it doesn't work, that's fine. But it dies. That's never heard for a upgradable design. Of course I unplug and disconnect battery before change hard drive.

HickHackerz
12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
If it doesn't work, that's fine. But it dies. That's never heard for a upgradable design. Of course I unplug and disconnect battery before change hard drive.

I had the same issue first time, I put back the orginal 1tb HGST drive and it won't power on at all.I had left battery in so I pulled it and drained the power circuit by pressing power and holding.

Plugged power and battery back it and it came back. I have tried my SSD many times and everytime it fails, I am able to go back to the original drive.
Support mentioned that the latest BIOS might help but these are brand new models and its on the latest version.

WineLackey
12-09-2015, 05:05 PM
I was able to get an SSD working in my GL552VW, but I used an M.2 drive (250gb Samsung EVO 850) rather than a 2.5" drive. I removed the HD before rebooting to the SSD, and then reformatted it and reinstalled it in the laptop for use as a data drive.

formosan
02-18-2016, 03:28 PM
has anyone been able to get this fixed?

if I have original HDD in, it boots fine.
if I replace the original HDD with a SSD it will not boot, not even BIOS comes on
if I replace the original HDD with aftermarket HDD it will not boot, no BIOS.
if I boot from M.2 slot it boots fine.
If I boot from M.2 slot with aftermarket HDD in SATA lot it will not boot, no BIOS either.
if I boot from M.2 slot with original HDD in SATA slot it boots.
if I booted into windows from M.2 slot, then insert original HDD it will recognize the HDD.
If I booted into windows from M.2 slot, then insert aftermarket SSD or HDD, computer shuts off.

It appears there is some sort of security lock where you replace the HDD with non-factory HDD/SSD in the SATA slot the computer will not boot at all, not even the BIOS comes up.

I am on BIOS ver 216
Secure boot is OFF in BIOS.

Zero7059
06-16-2016, 10:47 PM
So I was having the same issue with different mechanical HDD's and I had a talked to someone from support who kind of pointed me in the right direction, but here is what I found out:
SATA I or SATA II mechanical HDD's will not work in this laptop at all
SATA III HDD's however will work but according to the support tech, the HDD's have to be around the same power requirements (I don't know how true the power requirements is) I have tried a SSD SATA III and several different mechanical HDD's and they seem to work with no issue.

Hope this helps someone else.

~Z

phaalan
06-30-2016, 06:58 AM
I had the same problem when I first got the laptop.

This is what I tried.
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max iops (SSD SATA 3)- No good.
120 GB OCZ Vertex 2 (SSD SATA 2) - No good.
500 GB WD Blue, 3 x 500 GB WD Black (mechanical SATA 3) - All no good.
256 GB Seagate (mechanical SATA 2) - Good.
128 GB, 256GB, 512 GB Samsung 850 Pro (SATA 3) - All good.
1TB Hitachi (mechanical SATA 3, not the original 1tb HD) - Good
I ended up thinking somehow the size capacity of the HD/SSD is playing a factor here, and the laptop is only capatible with HD/SSD with conventional size capacity. But I could be wrong.

Hope this can help anyone out there having the same problem