PDA

View Full Version : Laptop dies when battery around 50%

Morava
11-23-2015, 01:54 PM
Usually when I want to call it a night, i take my laptop to my room and have it on a table beside me. Before I sleep I watch a few episodes of my favorite series or just watch a few until I sleep, however 2 nights ago when I was mid episode it suddenly it just turned off, fully shut down, i tried to restart it and it was as if it had just died or batery disconnected, and i check the batery and while i was confused it shut dwn again! i recharged it and went to bed. I woke up and used the laptop regurarly as i do now. and it works even when i remove the charget but when it reaches 50% or somewhere around that it turns off and dies.

what do you think is the problem? is this a software glitch or do you think it has something to do with the hardware itself. Im planning on a trip to the asus center. but i want to know if there is anything i can do myself before going.

navis995
11-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Try calibrating it, otherwise it's probably time to get a new battery.

Morava
11-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Try calibrating it, otherwise it's probably time to get a new battery.

Oh alright. ill try.

Korth
11-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Run a full antivirus/malware scan. Then, when you know the machine is clean, (re)install the Asus drivers.

How old is the laptop? The battery might not be able to hold charge after a year or three of heavy use. If a new battery won't hold charge then you might have defective charging circuitry.

Did you install Win10? If so, expect a few months of driver issues.

Darnassus
11-23-2015, 07:55 PM
.. If you've been doing this EVERY NIGHT you must have like... 2,000+ Charge Cycles.. ;d

Go to Command Prompt, run as Admin and type..

powercfg /batteryreport

Go to C:\Windows\System32 and open the Battery-Report.hmtl and maybe upload a screenshot here.