PDA

View Full Version : G74S with burning smell

alaskaj
11-24-2015, 12:05 AM
I have a G74s that started emitting a burning plastic smell and then shut off last night.

For a couple months it would occasionally start giving me a notification that it was switching between power and battery and would switch between the two repeatedly until i reseated the power plug.

Then last night I got the burning smell. When I plug it in the light on the power brick will turn on for a few seconds then shut off. The laptop still boots up but there is only 9% battery left and the smell picked back up so I shut it back down. I can not see any parts that look burnt but I don't have the inclination to attempt to remove the case and look at the interior.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong, fixes, etc?

C4RN1
11-24-2015, 01:54 PM
First, stop using your computer. More than likely you have a short in the dc jack and need to have it repaired.

The G74 uses the same dc jack as the g73 series. You can basically use the same tutorial I created for the G73 serires

Link below

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g73sw-dc-jack-repair-tutorial.681240/

Keep in mind that this requires soldering, if you don't know how to solder or you're not confident you can do this repair go find a professional computer repair shop.