PDA

View Full Version : Issue with M.2 SSD in ASUS ROG GL752VW

stezo
11-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Hi guys

I just bought a brand new ASUS ROG GL752VW-T4108D laptop.
Very nice device.

Unfortunatelay I have an issue where I need your input.

Since Asus only offer SSDs with 128 and 256 GB, I bought the model without SSD and bought the following SSD additionally:
http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/samsung-ssd-pm951-512gb-mzvlv512hcjh-00000-a1352207.html

Unfortunately the laptop doesn't recognize the SSD.
It doesn't show up in the Bios. Also in Windows 10 and Linux (via lspci) it isn't visible.
The Windows 10 setup also doesn't offer the SSD.

The latest bios version 205 is already installed on the laptop and I think I already tried all available settings in the Bios.

Now I have the following questions:

1) Should this SSD work in genral?
2) Should I see the device as bootable device in the Bios?
3) @Asus support: Is there a newer Bios version which would solve this issue?

In case this SSD is not suitable fo this laptop, can someone suggest a working 500 GB or 512 GB SSD?

Thanks in advance,
Steffen

travo5200
11-25-2015, 02:07 AM
I am also having this problem with my G572VT. I have been trying for the past four hours to get this ssd to show and there just isn't anything in the bios or the OS. It is pissing me off to be honest that my $1800 laptop will not take a SSD. I have also tried switching m.2 ports with no luck. My SSD is a Samsung EVO 850 500 GB. It should work. The bios is the most up to date as well with version 205.

aeolisio
11-25-2015, 03:10 AM
Hi guys

Very nice device.

Since Asus only offer SSDs with 128 and 256 GB, I bought the model without SSD and bought the following SSD additionally:
http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/samsung-ssd-pm951-512gb-mzvlv512hcjh-00000-a1352207.html

It doesn't show up in the Bios. Also in Windows 10 and Linux (via lspci) it isn't visible.

The latest bios version 205 is already installed on the laptop and I think I already tried all available settings in the Bios.

In case this SSD is not suitable fo this laptop, can someone suggest a working 500 GB or 512 GB SSD?

Thanks in advance,
Steffen
The AHCI sm951 works with the g752
Get the correct m.2 drive
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U
or
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-512GB-AHCI-MZHPV512HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELDBJ6
and follow this guide
https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296

Next time search because this has been answered by me at least 10 other times now.

mentalvideo
11-25-2015, 11:16 PM
I was told by ASUS that this computer ( GL752VW-DH71) cannot take anything over a 250 GB SSD. I bought this Samsung 250 GB SSD and I am looking to install it on Dec.25! This is the link to the SSD that I was told would work- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123189-REG/samsung_mz_n5e250bw_850_evo_250gb_m_2.html it's on very very good sale right now :) Have a good Turkey day people

-----Do not buy SATA ssd--------(the card in my link is NOT what you want)

stezo
11-26-2015, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure about the 256 GB limit, but for sure the SSD you link to will not work.
Take a look at the manual. This clearly states that SATA devices are not supported.

@aeolisio: Thanks, and sorry for not searching, but I was not aware that the GL752 supports the same hardware as the bigger models.

hosedup
11-27-2015, 12:47 AM
What SSD are you using? I know that there is an incompatibility between the Samsung Pro 950 and the G752 series. Ive been able to get it to work but with a few issues. Aeolisio is right, its been asked and answered before but I am glad you posted about it. Hopefully the more people that complain about the problem, maybe Samsung and/or Asus will fix it.

@mentalvideo I believe you will be sorely disappointed if you attempt to install that SSD you linked. The Samsung EVO 850 may be M.2 form factor but it uses a SATA interface. In the G752 manual, it states that the M.2 port will not work with SATA.

Product manual:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G752VL/0409_E10716_G752VL_VT_VY_C.pdf
Look at page 98, 3rd note.

stezo
11-27-2015, 05:47 AM
I ordered the 512GB model which was suggested by aeolisio.

As far as I have seen, there are not many options for M.2 cards with PCIe interface and AHCI protocol.
The drive will arrive today and I will report if it workes (but I'm sure it will).

ColdNorthMenace
11-27-2015, 06:53 AM
So I am not sure what the problem is with SSD's I bought a Crucial BX100 SSD that works fine in my machine.

mentalvideo
11-27-2015, 07:31 AM
@mentalvideo I believe you will be sorely disappointed if you attempt to install that SSD you linked. The Samsung EVO 850 may be M.2 form factor but it uses a SATA interface. In the G752 manual, it states that the M.2 port will not work with SATA.

Thank you so much for informing me and catching this...I was told on two different occasions this would work by bandh...
After buying this one and now having to return it... would you please tell help me if this one will work? It should, it's PCIE as you informed me that I must have.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-128GB-AHCI-MZHPV128HDGM-00000/dp/B00VELD5D8/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448607798&sr=1-19&keywords=m2+pcie+ssd

Thanks a lot everyone :rolleyes:

aeolisio
11-27-2015, 08:32 AM

Thank you so much for informing me and catching this...I was told on two different occasions this would work by bandh...
After buying this one and now having to return it... would you please tell help me if this one will work? It should, it's PCIE as you informed me that I must have.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-128GB-AHCI-MZHPV128HDGM-00000/dp/B00VELD5D8/ref=sr_1_19?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448607798&sr=1-19&keywords=m2+pcie+ssd

Thanks a lot everyone :rolleyes:
Yes the sm951 in AHCI works with the g752 just install correctly in UEFI

stezo
11-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Guys, my MZHPV512HDGL-00000 arrived today.

Unfortunately it still doesn't seem to work.
I don't see the drive in the Bios and also the Windows 10 setup doesn't show the drive (only the HDD) in my GL752VW.

I'm really desperate now because I have no idea if I do something wrong or the Laptop is broken or whatever else.

Do I really need to boot from a USB stick instead of a DVD to see the drive?
Shouldnt it at least show up in the Bios setup?

Any ideas? :(

hosedup
11-27-2015, 11:46 PM
Stezo, its not going to work. There is a problem with either Asus or Samsung and neither seem to want to fix the problem. As aeolisio has said, it wont work.

I ran into the exact same problems with the Samsung 950 Pro on my G752. (I was able to force it to work but it really isnt working correctly)

Return it, buy the AHCI version of the SM951. it MUST be the AHCI version.

The 512 GB version, from amazon

mentalvideo
11-28-2015, 02:09 AM
Yes the sm951 in AHCI works with the g752 just install correctly in UEFI

Does installing UHFI mode have to be done? I'm hesitant to go through changing my laptop to UHFI from BIOS because of what it entails. From what I have read, UHFI is a little faster. Being aware of my tech skills...I'd rather give up some speed to ensure the safety of my new laptop haha. Samsung said to use their migration software for the OS, erase the OS on the HDD...after that its supposed to work... I want to this upgrade to be as simple as possible.

It was mentioned that these issues have been raised prior. I searched GL752 and SSD install, this is the only thread I found. If you think it would help, a link to one of those threads may help others that read this later on (or maybe not)...

Thank you for your patience...

Slavisha
11-28-2015, 02:43 AM
I had same issue and i got it working with my Samsung 950. Here are the steps:
1. Create the bootabe USB dongle with Windows 10 using Rufus with GPT
2. Put the additional Intel/ACHI drivers in to the support folder on the created USB. These drivers will need to be loaded manually later during the installation.(Make sure you unzip the file before you place it on USB. The link for download is below.
http://www.filedropper.com/f6flpy-x64

2. Install Samsung 950 HDD in to the m.2 ( I also took my primary HDD out that had windows 10 installed on it already.)
3. Run the computer and boot from the USB.
4. Once you go through first few screens choosing the fresh install and get to the dialog where it your drive is not recognized, select browse, and drill down to the support folder where you left the drivers. Once you chose the driver and it took about 2 min to load it and myou should be able to see your Samsung HDD there.

Now theres another solution that also worked.
On Samsung site you can download Samsung cloning tool. It will clone entire HDD where the windows is installed to the Samsung 950 drive including MBR and everything else. This worked but i always prefer clean install so I had to find the way to make first choice to work.

I hope this helps.
I apologize for my language, English is not my native language.

Clintlgm
11-28-2015, 04:27 AM
Yes if you want the SSD to work you must install UEFI, your computer came that way, your SSD should have come Clean. All the answers are here in this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)

stezo
11-28-2015, 08:47 AM
The MZHPV512HDGL-00000 I bought IS the AHCI drive. This in NOT the 950. It's one of the drives suggested by aeolisio.
Nevertheless, it doesn't work.

As I wrote, it doesn't even show up in the Bios and the Windows 10 setup also doesn't show the drive.
Even if I use the f6flpy-x64 driver, the drive is not recognized.
And as far as I understood aeolisio, there is no need to load this driver with the SM951 AHCI version.

Btw, even the installed Windows 10 system on my 1TB HDD with all Asus drivers and the Samsung clone tool don't see the drive.

Any Idea? I think I will return the Notebook. Looks like a hardware defect to me.

aeolisio
11-28-2015, 10:21 AM
The MZHPV512HDGL-00000 I bought IS the AHCI drive. This in NOT the 950. It's one of the drives suggested by aeolisio.
Nevertheless, it doesn't work.

As I wrote, it doesn't even show up in the Bios and the Windows 10 setup also doesn't show the drive.
Even if I use the f6flpy-x64 driver, the drive is not recognized.
And as far as I understood aeolisio, there is no need to load this driver with the SM951 AHCI version.

Btw, even the installed Windows 10 system on my 1TB HDD with all Asus drivers and the Samsung clone tool don't see the drive.

Any Idea? I think I will return the Notebook. Looks like a hardware defect to me.
Install it with UEFi and a USB like the install thread i linked previously. It installs fine yes you HAVE to use the USB.

stezo
11-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Thaks, but I already did that. I prepared a Windows 10 USB stick and bootet in UEFI mode.
I doesn't show up in the setup.

aeolisio
11-28-2015, 09:28 PM
did you boot the usb in uefi?
Also run through the troubleshooting here
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation)

stezo
11-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Yes, I booted the USB stick in UEFI mode and I exactly followed the guide.
Still no drive visible. I already returned the notebook to the dealer. I think there is a hardware defect.

golomb13
11-29-2015, 11:58 AM
Just taken:

Samsung SM951 MZ-VPV256

That is full NVMe not AHCI - for my G752 - I just hope there won't be any issues...

stezo
11-29-2015, 12:22 PM
NVMe is NOT supported. You don't even need to try. Get the AHCI version.

golomb13
11-29-2015, 12:25 PM
NVMe is NOT supported. You don't even need to try. Get the AHCI version.

Are you sure? Even official advetrst shows:

"ROG G752 utilizes the latest NVM Express (NVMe) SSD technology to give you blazing-fast data read and write speeds. Compared to Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), NVMe not only maximizes sequential read and write speeds, but also minimizes random reading and writing latency. The result faster system processes, and of course, faster gameplay."

Its G752 not G751

stezo
11-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Not 100% sure, but for my GL752 the official Asus support told me that NVMe is not supported.

Not sure if there is a difference between the G752 and the GL752.
For me, none of the drives worked, neither the NVMe versn nor the AHCI version.

I'm going to order a model where the SSD is pre-installed.

travo5200
11-29-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm going to have to say that this is a messed up situation. I did all the steps as well listed above. I installed the driver, got the correct drive (sm951), booted in EFI, disabled secure boot. This laptop is just not taking this drive. The funny thing is that it see's it in the bios but not in the "SATA Configuration" tab. It shows in the "Intel Rapid Technology" Tab as a "non-RAID" drive. It also shows up in "Disk Management" in Windows 10. It just doesn't show in the Windows 10 installer. Also, Asus said that they cannot help because I am using a non-Asus product (the ssd). They then told me to take it to Geek Squad or a local repair. WTF!!! What a bunch of script-reading clowns. It would be great if this laptop would just work properly and if Asus would help instead of pawning off their problems on other vendors. BTW, I have a G752VT.

Clintlgm
11-29-2015, 09:01 PM
Yes and is the 951 you bought AHCI version, the SATA version won't work

travo5200
11-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Yes, it is AHCI PCI-e and not the SATA version. I returned the 850 EVO that I mentioned earlier in the thread and received the SM-951 (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-.../dp/B00VELDBJ6) that Aeolisio mentioned would work. The thing that is getting me is that the bios is stuck in ""RAID" mode and will not switch as there are no other options.

Clintlgm
11-29-2015, 11:07 PM
That's not good, needs to get to AHCI mode. Have you tried BIOS reset to Default settings? Default should be AHCI

travo5200
11-29-2015, 11:51 PM
I finally found a tech support guy at Asus who wasn't full of **** or a know-nothing. He agreed that it is the bios and that a bios update will solve it if it is added. It needs to be on AHCI which is currently not an option in the 205 G752VT bios. The only option is RAID. So, I guess I am stuck waiting for Asus to fix a major feature that should have been fixed before release.

nhasian
11-30-2015, 03:08 AM
Yes I reported in another thread about the bios issue where it is stuck in RAID mode and no way to put it back to ACHI. Due to this I am unable to access the M.2 drive in linux at all, and cannot clone the drive in clonezilla for backup purposes.

I emailed tech support a few times and tried to explain the issue and their first response was:

We don't support linux.

Then I explained I don't need help with linux, I need to switch the bios from raid to ACHI. then the same rep said "as you can see RAID is the only option"

I replied a THIRD time asking the tech (whose name is Pig by the way) to escalate the ticket so I could communicate with someone who could enable the option in the next bios update. Needless to say I never got a response. I cannot wait indefinitely for a bios update to resolve this problem. So I'm sending back my GL752 and getting an MSI instead.

I just want to say I've purchased many Asus products in the past and frequently recommend them to friends and clients. I really tried to get around the bios bugs (yes there are more than just this one) but am disappointed to have to return it.

I finally found a tech support guy at Asus who wasn't full of **** or a know-nothing. He agreed that it is the bios and that a bios update will solve it if it is added. It needs to be on AHCI which is currently not an option in the 205 G752VT bios. The only option is RAID. So, I guess I am stuck waiting for Asus to fix a major feature that should have been fixed before release.

stezo
11-30-2015, 05:40 AM
Same for me. I returned the GL752 and ordered a Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro - Black Editon.

Thanks guys, for all your support and good luck to everybody with similar problems.

Xploited Titan
11-30-2015, 01:31 PM
MY APOLOGIES, DIDN'T SEE THE TOPIC HANDLING ABOUT GL752VW LAPTOP, MY ANSWER IS VALID FOR G752VT LAPTOPS

Already explained in another topic, but don't mind repeating myself.

I have completely functional 950 Pro running in laptop, other SSD is safely tucked away in the Asus box.
Using the nvme version: http://www.materiel.net/ssd/samsung-serie-950-pro-m-2-512-go-122255.html

What I did was:

add 950 Pro ssd next to original ssd
in windows 10, go to "disk management"
in "disk management", initialize the SSD 950 Pro
start "Samsung Data migration" to copy the whole windows install on the 950 Pro
2 minutes later, shut down laptop, take out original SSD, put the 950 Pro in the spot the original SSD was placed in
Enjoy superior performance with no problems whatsoever

Haven't tried Samsung Magician yet, could try it tonight, but all in all, I have been pleasantly surprised by the easiness (I mount computers since I was like 13 years old, have known Windows 3.1 and up, so this is really easy from my point of view).

travo5200
11-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Do you have a G752 series? This is a specific problem with this model. There are several success stories of it working on the G751. The problem is that the bios is stuck in "RAID" mode and will not let you change it to "AHCI" which I believe is needed to use this drive.

Xploited Titan
11-30-2015, 03:55 PM
G752vt to be exact.

travo5200
11-30-2015, 04:00 PM
What would you call "initializing" the drive? Are you just formatting it? I do not see the option to initialize on my disk management screen. I have an SM951 also. Should be the same thing though for the most part.

Xploited Titan
11-30-2015, 04:20 PM
MY APOLOGIES, DIDN'T SEE THE TOPIC HANDLING ABOUT GL752VW LAPTOP, MY ANSWER IS VALID FOR G752VT LAPTOPS

First time use, 950 Pro did not appear in my windows explorer.
In disk management, it appeared greyed out with small text about it having to be initialized.
I just r-clicked the 950 Pro and clicked the logical answer (no idea if it is called initialize or something else ).
Doing so immediately unlocked the 950 Pro and allowed me to use Samsung data migration.

Rest of the steps mentioned in my first post.

stezo
11-30-2015, 05:39 PM
My issue was different. The GL752VW has only one M.2 socket.
It was no visible anywhere in the Bios. Also the Windows disk management didn't show the drive at all.
Just to be clear from my side. So either the board of my GL752VW had a hardware defect or there are other general issues with the GL752VW.

Maybe we should not start mixing up issues of G752 and GL752 laptops until someone else than me had more luck installing a SM951 to a GL752.

Xploited Titan
11-30-2015, 05:49 PM
Right, my apologies. Missed the "L" after the "G". Want me to delete my posts to clear your topic ?

TheCovertZombie
11-30-2015, 06:05 PM

My System came with a 208 version Bios. Very weird. Maybe it is fixed on my BIOS?

The weird thing is the bios release date is like 12/12, which makes me think they loaded my machine with a bios that they have not released yet.

stezo
11-30-2015, 06:15 PM
@Xploited Titan: It's ok, as long as everybody is aware that we are talking about different machines in this thread.
I think they are both very similar, but not identical. Therefore we may face different issues.

TheCovertZombie
11-30-2015, 08:50 PM
Has anyone tried these yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V01C376?keywords=pcie%20ssd&qid=1448916513&ref_=sr_1_15&s=pc&sr=1-15

Correct me if I am wrong but these should work as they are on the PCIe connections instead of SATA right?

Jakov19951995
11-30-2015, 09:04 PM
KINGSTON 240GB SHPM2280P2H 240G HyperX Predator ,
http://www.bcgroup-online.com/proizvodi/SSD-diskovi/KINGSTON-240GB-SHPM2280P2H-240G-HyperX-Predator-28880/
for g752 im sory to bother all of you guys tnx for helping me

hosedup
11-30-2015, 11:10 PM
@Xploited Titan
I did exactly what you said a week ago and that is how I got mine to work BUT, you will not be able to get Samsung Magician to work. It requires that the Samsung driver be installed and it will not install because of what I assume is the issue between ASUS and Samsung. If you do decide to try it, please post a pic like this one I did in another thread. Im curious if the model name and number are scrambled just like mine.

my screen cap (https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53856&d=1448649914&thumb=1)

Also, make sure TRIM is turned on by opening a command prompt with admin privilages and type in "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify"
If DisableDeleteNotify = 1 -> TRIM support disabled
If DisableDeleteNotify = 0 -> TRIM support enabled

Source (http://mywindowshub.com/check-enable-disable-ssd-trim-support-windows-10/)

travo5200
12-01-2015, 01:27 AM
Ok, I think I have finally realized the real problem here. This slot is only an NVMe slot. The AHCI version does not work. THe SATA version definitely does not work. The ASUS website says it is an NVMe slot. The owners manual says it is an NVMe slot. Anyone trying to get the AHCI version to work is going to fail. I am sending back my sm951 AHCI version and getting a Samsung 950 Pro. If this doesn't work, I am returning the laptop. The only success stories I have seen on this forum about the 752 series is with NVMe drives. I will update.

stezo
12-01-2015, 05:51 AM
@travo5200: That's really confusing. The Asus support told me hat the GL752 (see the L!) doesn't work with a NVMe. Therefore I bought the AHCI version.

The problem was, that none of the cards worked. I had both, the AHCI version and the NVMe version.
Also the KINGSTON 240GB SHPM2280P2H 240G HyperX Predator as not recognized.

As I said before, I think there was a hardware defect on laptop side.

golomb13
12-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Ok, I think I have finally realized the real problem here. This slot is only an NVMe slot. The AHCI version does not work. THe SATA version definitely does not work. The ASUS website says it is an NVMe slot. The owners manual says it is an NVMe slot. Anyone trying to get the AHCI version to work is going to fail. I am sending back my sm951 AHCI version and getting a Samsung 950 Pro. If this doesn't work, I am returning the laptop. The only success stories I have seen on this forum about the 752 series is with NVMe drives. I will update.

I have SM 951 NVMe - And laptop waiting to me at home but i am abroad until 15th dec to check...

But seems thismight be a issue.

Clintlgm
12-01-2015, 11:28 PM
It seems the only tested and approved M.2 SSD are SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000 and SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000 If you ordered one of these you should have no issues?

JimmyBones
12-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Since u bought this i wanted to know weather it has an IPS panel or not.

Xploited Titan
12-02-2015, 11:12 PM
Since u bought this i wanted to know weather it has an IPS panel or not.
It has an IPS panel: https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ROG-GL752VW/

jbayko
12-02-2015, 11:52 PM
I had same issue and i got it working with my Samsung 950.

Are you saying you got the Samsung Pro 950 M.2 NVMe working with your GL752VW? (Note: GL, not G). If yes, then I'm excited, because this is the problem I'm having.

Now theres another solution that also worked.
On Samsung site you can download Samsung cloning tool. It will clone entire HDD where the windows is installed to the Samsung 950 drive including MBR and everything else. This worked but i always prefer clean install so I had to find the way to make first choice to work.

I am intrigued by this second solution due to its simplicity. However, how did you get this solution to work? The Samsung data migration utility doesn't recognize the Pro 950 drive, and therefore, there is no drive to select as the target of the clone / migration (the utility says "Please connect a Samsung SSD". This is what I expected would happen because the drive is not recognized by BIOS nor Windows 10.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jbayko
12-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Hi Folks -

I am also having an issue installing my SSD. Forgive me if it feels like I'm rehashing old questions or discussions. I've read this entire thread thoroughly, and it has a lot of conflicting information and/or mixups.

I have:

GL752VW-DH71 Note: GL, not G
Samsung Pro 950 M.2 NVMe 512 GB

Has anyone gotten this combination to work? I've installed the physical disk into the laptop but it doesn't appear to be recognized in BIOS nor Windows 10.

My preference is to get this working, but if it is confirmed to be an issue, can anyone please clarify what models of SSD should work with this laptop so that I only need to exchange once :) ? Is there a list of supported drivesomewhere that I should know about?

Thanks!!

Chunky Lafanga
12-04-2015, 04:51 AM
Hi,

GL752VW/DH71 here too. I got the Samsung SM951 MZHPV256HDGL-00000 PCIe AHCI version (256GB) and that doesn't work either.

Did anyone with this setup get it to work?

aikiguy
12-04-2015, 05:13 AM
Hi Folks -

I am also having an issue installing my SSD. Forgive me if it feels like I'm rehashing old questions or discussions. I've read this entire thread thoroughly, and it has a lot of conflicting information and/or mixups.

I have:

GL752VW-DH71 Note: GL, not G

Has anyone gotten this combination to work? I've installed the physical disk into the laptop but it doesn't appear to be recognized in BIOS nor Windows 10.

My preference is to get this working, but if it is confirmed to be an issue, can anyone please clarify what models of SSD should work with this laptop so that I only need to exchange once :) ? Is there a list of supported drivesomewhere that I should know about?

Thanks!!

Has anyone gotten an M.2 SSD to work with this Laptop at all?

Feeling like I screwed up getting an Asus for the first time ever.

Guy
:-(

Tidbits
12-04-2015, 07:26 AM
Did you guys try and do what others have done with their G752's? Try it as it may work or not.

aikiguy
12-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Contacted Support, didn't get an answer, supposed to get emailed an answer.I am not holding my breath, but support really didn't want to tell me what the specifications were for the drive. I typed nicely, and they tried to look up an answer in their internal knowledge base, they could not find anything. After I sent them a quote from their own web page stating that the computer could be upgraded with a SSD, they agreed to have someone send me the specifications via email, as they did not have them.

I don't think that I am going to get that email, but I am hoping that I am wrong.

All they knew was that you could not use an SATA M.2 drive. Which is exactly what is in the manual. I pointed out to them that it was on page 95.

I am going to wait a couple of days to see if I get an email. If I don't; as there is no one anywhere that I can find that was able to get this computer GL752VW working with an SSD drive, I am probably going to send it back to Amazon, and order a Dell. Their support and ability to provide you with answers like what SSD does this computer take is far better than Asus.

I find this whole thing kind of disappointing, this machine has some good specs for the price point. However the idea that there is some big secret about what components you need to upgrade it is too strange for me to be part of. You either care about your customers or you don't. If you advertise a computer as being up-gradable, and tout the ease of access to the upgrade slot as a major feature of the product, then you should tell people what goes in that slot.

The first one of these that I received had a defective touch pad, (no left mouse button). That one went back right away. Then we all run into the "it is up-gradable, but we can't tell you how to do that as we don't support upgrades, that is done at your own risk". Quality and customer commitment both seem to be lacking at this point.

YMMV.
Guy
:-)

Clintlgm
12-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Did you try one of these? SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000 and SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000
seems these are the only ones tested and approved. There buying in bulk so most likely being used in all G notebooks?

jbayko
12-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Did you guys try and do what others have done with their G752's? Try it as it may work or not.

Can you point to a specific process? If you're referring to one of Xploited Titan's posts - for example...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW&p=555696&viewfull=1#post555696

...As others have mentioned, this cannot be done. He "initialized" the drive in Windows disc management, but we cannot initialize the drive if it is not even recognized by BIOS and doesn't appear in Windows disc management.

I also tried installing the Samsung NVMe Driver, but it errored out stating: “Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected. Connect the Device and try again.”

If there is another method you have seen, I'd love to try it!

jbayko
12-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Did you try one of these? SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000 and SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000
seems these are the only ones tested and approved. There buying in bulk so most likely being used in all G notebooks?

What do you mean they are the only ones tested and approved? By whom? Do you have a source?

With all of the trouble people are having, I'd rather stop my blind trial and error method of getting this to work. If Samsung has tested the drive on the GL752VW or a user here has gotten it to work, I'll order one.

Clintlgm
12-04-2015, 09:17 PM
I suggest you PM cl-albert he is our C ustomer L oyalty Rep and my be able to help you with this issue.

pyfung68
12-06-2015, 05:14 AM
I come across the same issue with a Samsung 850 EVO 215GB on GL552VW-DH71 15.6". Hoping an early solution.

Gumes
12-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Hi

I am also having an issue installing my SSD.
I have:
GL752VW

I wonder whether it is possible to modify the BIOS by adding a pack samsung_m2_dxe by mmtool like here (http://www.overclock.net/t/1571271/tutorial-how-to-add-nvme-support-on-any-ami-uefi-bios-with-an-intel-chipset)?

aikiguy
12-07-2015, 06:03 PM

We are talking about different computers here, your answer fits the G752 NOT the GL752vw.

This thread is about the GL.

Thanks,
Guy

WineLackey
12-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Just as a data point, I just installed the Samsung EVO 850 M.2 drive (250G) in my GL552VW, and it seems to be working fine. I simply installed the M.2 drive, cloned the HD to the M.2 drive using the Samsung software, then removed the HD and the laptop booted right up from the M.2. I then reformatted the HD and reinstalled it in the laptop for use as a data drive.

Chunky Lafanga
12-09-2015, 08:08 PM
I've been talking with customer loyalty hero guy cl-albert and here's what he had to say:

"1. The G752 and GL752 are different models, so not everything may work on both models.

2. More importantly it appears there are at least 2 different kinds of GL752 motherboards at least in regards to M.2 SSDs. There are some GL752 motherboards supporting SATA3 M.2 SSDs as well as GL752 motherboards supporting PCIE/NVME M.2 SSDs, so this probably is the first thing to check if you can find a way.
If your unit came from ASUS with M.2 SSDs installed, check to see what kind was included, or check on the motherboard for any information silkscreened on the motherboard.

3. Unfortunately, on the ASUS side it sounds like we can only report what drives we are shipping with the units, but don't seem to have much definite information on these other drives."

He also checked my serial number against their database and indicated that mine was the sort that worked with the SATA (not PCIe) M2s. There's another review on Newegg that indicates that one guy has gotten it to work with a SATA-III.
Hope this helps anyone else with problems. I'll be waiting for slightly more official information before I send back my Samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI 256GB drive.

MrRuckus
12-09-2015, 08:40 PM
Jeezus. I ordered my G752 and it will be here on Monday the 14th. Not looking forward to all of these worries about what M.2 drive will work or not work. Good luck guys. :)
Maybe something like Sisoft Sandra will show what kind of slot the M.2 is or what it will accept? Just an idea anyway. I know we did something similar to this with the G750 in determining what screen each model had.

cl-Albert@ROG
12-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Jeezus. I ordered my G752 and it will be here on Monday the 14th. Not looking forward to all of these worries about what M.2 drive will work or not work. Good luck guys. :)
Maybe something like Sisoft Sandra will show what kind of slot the M.2 is or what it will accept? Just an idea anyway. I know we did something similar to this with the G750 in determining what screen each model had.

Kind of wished we picked different model names to avoid confusion, but just a reminder the G752 series is pretty much a different model/series from the GL752 series, so please be careful not to confuse the two although it's understandable if anybody does.

Anyway, still trying to get more info on the G752 series, but so far only noticed it using PCIe M.2 SSD drives, so it may be different from the GL752 series which apparently can either use motherboards that support SATA M.2 SSDs or motherboards that support PCIe M.2 SSDs (but not both at the same time).
Also trying to get more confirmation about this, but it's what I'm seeing right now. Thanks.

Clintlgm
12-09-2015, 09:53 PM
If it doesn't work when you get it send it back. SSD are NVMe we are seeing Samsung Pro 950 and 850 working, today I see someone got a Samsung Evo working. I think all G752 have IPS panels. Not so with the GL or GL752VW seem to be a different Model completely not the same Cooling system stripped down version to sell cheaper.
Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) will show you everything you want to know about your system, hardware manufactures Version numbers etc.

Clintlgm
12-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Yea really these GL models should be in there own sub Forum along with the GL 5** models.

MrRuckus
12-10-2015, 05:01 AM
Kind of wished we picked different model names to avoid confusion, but just a reminder the G752 series is pretty much a different model/series from the GL752 series, so please be careful not to confuse the two although it's understandable if anybody does.

Anyway, still trying to get more info on the G752 series, but so far only noticed it using PCIe M.2 SSD drives, so it may be different from the GL752 series which apparently can either use motherboards that support SATA M.2 SSDs or motherboards that support PCIe M.2 SSDs (but not both at the same time).
Also trying to get more confirmation about this, but it's what I'm seeing right now. Thanks.

Oh gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Yes after looking up the GL752, looks to be a completely different laptop from the G752. Reminds me of the best buy models of earlier ROG notebooks that did the same thing (lower quality product at a lower price point). Which isnt to say the GL752 is bad. Its just at a different price point in the market. Asus should be able to train their phone techs though and they should know what kind of drive works in any specific machine. I understand they cant verify compatibility with every drive out there, but they should be able to at least tell people which interface of drive is needed for any given model.

pyfung68
12-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Hi WineLackey,
Thanks for your information about installing Samsung EVO 850 M.2 drive (250GB) in GL552VW. The problem is that I can't see the M.2 SSD. Function key F2 just lead you to the Bios. No any setting for M.2 SSD. There is no UEFI screen appeared even I try many keys combination. Can you describe the procedure of how to make the M.2 SSD be recognizsed and installed?

WineLackey
12-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Hi WineLackey,
Thanks for your information about installing Samsung EVO 850 M.2 drive (250GB) in GL552VW. The problem is that I can't see the M.2 SSD. Function key F2 just lead you to the Bios. No any setting for M.2 SSD. There is no UEFI screen appeared even I try many keys combination. Can you describe the procedure of how to make the M.2 SSD be recognizsed and installed?
I didn't actually have to do anything for it to be recognized. I just installed it, and after starting up the laptop I ran the Samsung migration software, which was able to see the M.2 drive and clone the hard drive to it. If you ran the Samsung software and it didn't see the M.2 drive, then your laptop may have a different type of motherboard than mine, and it may require a PCIE M.2 drive rather than SATA.

Clintlgm
12-11-2015, 10:13 PM
BIOS/UEFII are the same thing. While we have UEFI Asus has presented it just as our old BIOS looked. Asus does not present a Graphical BIOS/UEFI on these notebooks as it is not needed or necessary, we have only limited settings for these gaming notebooks.

pyfung68
12-12-2015, 01:36 AM
I didn't actually have to do anything for it to be recognized. I just installed it, and after starting up the laptop I ran the Samsung migration software, which was able to see the M.2 drive and clone the hard drive to it. If you ran the Samsung software and it didn't see the M.2 drive, then your laptop may have a different type of motherboard than mine, and it may require a PCIE M.2 drive rather than SATA.
No luck for me after installing the migration software from Samsung. No M.2 drive sign presented when it starts to migrade. Rebootup & check the BIOS, still only two ATA ports for HDD & DVDROM. No M.2 drive be recognized. It seems ASUS has done something on the BIOS utility. Mine version is 210. How about yours?

pyfung68
12-13-2015, 12:37 PM
"BIOS/UEFII are the same thing. While we have UEFI Asus has presented it just as our old BIOS looked. Asus does not present a Graphical BIOS/UEFI on these notebooks as it is not needed or necessary, we have only limited settings for these gaming notebooks. "

Hi Clintlgm,
Thanks for your information.
I agree that it should not present a Graphical BIOS/UEFI if there is no need or necessary. Things should be as simple as possible. Now I want thing to make clear about that:
1) GL552VW-DH71 M.2 drive on board slot should be functioning, no blocking and it is SATA not PCIE;
2) Samsung ECO 850 M.2 250G SSD is compatible with it or not;
3) When the BIOS show no M.2 drive recognition, is there any problem other than the death of the M.2 SSD?

WineLackey
12-13-2015, 06:44 PM
No luck for me after installing the migration software from Samsung. No M.2 drive sign presented when it starts to migrade. Rebootup & check the BIOS, still only two ATA ports for HDD & DVDROM. No M.2 drive be recognized. It seems ASUS has done something on the BIOS utility. Mine version is 210. How about yours?
My BIOS version is 210 also. Someone in another thread said that ASUS support told them that the GL752VW / GL552VW are made with more than one type of motherboard. Some of the motherboards support M.2 SATA while others support M.2 PCIE. It could be that your motherboard requires a PCIE drive. Can you seen any markings on the motherboard by the M.2 slot that indicate one or the other?

Andi
12-14-2015, 09:00 AM
I bought as well the ASUS GL752VW-T4108D (with 1 TB Harddisk and no SSD).

It seems to be still unclear which SSD is suitable for this Notebook to have a 256 GB SSD as primary device (for the operating system) and as well the 1 TB HDD as secondary device.

The solution ist quite simple:

1) Have a look into a Notebook of the GL752VW Series which is delivered with a 256 GB SSD (like -T4188T und -T4189T)
a) Simply open the 2 screws an have a look what's build in

2) Look how the BIOS is configured (version number and the single settings in the relevant chapters)

That should be all and clarify all the question ...

BTW: My (Aptio) BIOS is 2.17.1249.

pyfung68
12-14-2015, 04:13 PM
My BIOS version is 210 also. Someone in another thread said that ASUS support told them that the GL752VW / GL552VW are made with more than one type of motherboard. Some of the motherboards support M.2 SATA while others support M.2 PCIE. It could be that your motherboard requires a PCIE drive. Can you seen any markings on the motherboard by the M.2 slot that indicate one or the other?

Examining the picture of a PCIe M.2 drive, its edge connector is different from a SATA one. Mine M.2 slot support Samsung EVO 850, so I think my motherboard only support the SATA M.2 drive. I have tried to flip the Samsung EVO 850 and push it in. Of course, no luck.

Andi
12-14-2015, 06:17 PM
I already inserted a Trenscend MTS800 SSD (256 GB) and transfered the system (Windows 10) from the 1 TB HDD sucessfully.
But after that the 1 TB HDD was not visible anymore ;-(
At least the SSD works with the 256 GB

So I still have no solution to run both drives (256 GB SSD as primary) and 1 TB HDD as secondary drive ...

I am already in discussion with ASUS technical support here in Germany, but they seem to have no clue as well and their answers are not very helpful,

fastang
12-14-2015, 09:00 PM
I'm having the same issue with the GL752VW and the Samsung 950 pro M.2 model #MZ-V5P256 256GB. I initially had a GL771J and put this M.2 drive in and the BIOS and OS saw it. I used the Samsung software to clone the drive when I restarted the computer it would no longer boot from either drive. I took it to the Microsoft store thinking it was an OS issue. they said they ran diagnostics and told me the mechanical drive was failing. took the GL771 back to the store, it was replaced with the GL752VW. I put the M.2 drive in and it is not showing up in BIOS or Win 10. tried a brand new Samsung M.2 drive and same results. I would love to have an answer.

Clintlgm
12-14-2015, 11:58 PM
Try mini tool partition wizard, when you cloned to the SSD you probably had the Hide original drive box checked after clone. So you just need to unhide it format it as logical.

fastang
12-15-2015, 04:36 AM
Try mini tool partition wizard, when you cloned to the SSD you probably had the Hide original drive box checked after clone. So you just need to unhide it format it as logical.

I used Samsung's Data Migration Tool to clone it installed in a GL771J. Now the GL752 does't see the M.2 SSD drive in the Bios let alone windows, I can't format a drive the machine doesn't even know is there.

Andi
12-15-2015, 11:08 AM
It seems as if we have different issues/questions with the GL752VW

1) which SSD works in the notebook ?
(As primary drive ( C: ) in addition to the 1 TB HDD ( D: )

2) what are the correct BIOS settings for that?
(if there is a special version required where to get it and how to update it)

Any ideas that might help?

fastang
12-16-2015, 06:10 PM
It seems as if we have different issues/questions with the GL752VW

1) which SSD works in the notebook ?
(As primary drive ( C: ) in addition to the 1 TB HDD ( D: )

2) what are the correct BIOS settings for that?
(if there is a special version required where to get it and how to update it)

Any ideas that might help?

It seems to me there is one issue, M.2 doesn't work! And the answer to both questions is "none"! :(

fastang
12-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Updated to BIOS 207 dated Nov 2015. no luck. :(

Chunky Lafanga
12-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Hi all,

After struggling with customer service and eventually reaching the higher-level customer loyalty guys (thanks cl-albert!) I finally managed to get a SSD to work.

The problem is that there're two GL752VW motherboards, the one sold in Canada works with PCIe M2s while the USA one works with SATA-IIIs. I had to send back my SM951PCIe, but I got a Samsung 850 SATA-III 256GB and that worked easily.

The online manual is wrong, you need a SATA-III drive for it to work if you have a US model.

Hope this helps!

Clintlgm
12-16-2015, 11:58 PM
If your notebook doesn't work take it back before your return to vendor period expires!!

fastang
12-17-2015, 01:02 AM
Hi all,

After struggling with customer service and eventually reaching the higher-level customer loyalty guys (thanks cl-albert!) I finally managed to get a SSD to work.

The problem is that there're two GL752VW motherboards, the one sold in Canada works with PCIe M2s while the USA one works with SATA-IIIs. I had to send back my SM951PCIe, but I got a Samsung 850 SATA-III 256GB and that worked easily.

The online manual is wrong, you need a SATA-III drive for it to work if you have a US model.

Hope this helps!

Now that is very interesting and answers some confusion for me. while searching yesterday I came across this ad for a GL752VW that comes with a M.2 drive installed and they said it was a SATA III.
http://www.adorama.com/asgl752vwh74.html

I was also reading the customer reviews for the GL752VW on Amazon.com and some people said they got an M.2 drive to work. a couple of guys said they used the Samsung 850 EVO SSD which is SATA III.
http://www.amazon.com/GL752VW-DH71-17-Inch-Discrete-GeForce-Metallic/product-reviews/B01578ZK9A/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_1?pageNumber=1

I guess I'll take my NVMe back and get the Samsung 850 EVO SSD which is SATA III. it's cheaper anyhow.

@Chunky Lafanga I do have one question, Did the tech guy say that 256gb was the max size or will the 512gb work?

mentalvideo
12-17-2015, 08:06 AM
SERIOUSLY, I just got my money back from the return of the samsung 850 SATA... I bought my GL752VW from BandH and I live in Utah so I should have the "American" version. Please tell us how it goes. The online manual does say SATA WON'T work. The samsung 850 (B&H # SAMZN5E250BW MFR # MZ-N5E250BW) was advised for this laptop to me via the BandH support. It seems Asus costumer service should have better info on their own product than BandH, maybe not... I was also told the GL752VW could not take anything larger than 250 GB...

pyfung68
12-18-2015, 04:49 AM
Then how about the problem of GL552VW-DH71: No recognition of the Samsung EVO 850 250G SSD. Is there two versions of SATA or PCIe for M.2 drive just the same as GL752VW?

Mine GL552VW-DH71 is the one with Metallic cover. The label on the bottom shows that:
Model/型號 GL552V Notebook PC/筆記型電腦 ※N13219
FANOCV7992014XX CN:1594
GL552VW-DH71 12M
MFD/製造日期/制造日期 2015-10

The ASUS management should stand out to tell us what happened to this laptop which stated to be upgradable.

izmouad
12-21-2015, 01:01 PM
SERIOUSLY, I just got my money back from the return of the samsung 850 SATA... I bought my GL752VW from BandH and I live in Utah so I should have the "American" version. Please tell us how it goes. The online manual does say SATA WON'T work. The samsung 850 (B&H # SAMZN5E250BW MFR # MZ-N5E250BW) was advised for this laptop to me via the BandH support. It seems Asus costumer service should have better info on their own product than BandH, maybe not... I was also told the GL752VW could not take anything larger than 250 GB...
I have the same laptop as you. Please send me the link of which ssd drive worked for you, and also is it worth it to add ssd to this laptop, mine boots in 1 mins approx, is adding ssd will make the speed better? anyone who tried it please share your experience with us.

My laptop is: asus rog gl752vw-dh71

Clintlgm
12-21-2015, 02:36 PM
I say that cl-albert settled this a few reply's back. if your notebook is not work it must be defective return to vendor if in the return time period. Otherwise RMA. Asus is not being helpful with the upgrading of these notebooks
M.2 is type of connection, PCIe is a BUS, there currently seems to be 3 different Hard drive Variations that all connect to this connection NVMe, AHCI and SATA, you have to determine which standard type you Mother Board uses. As with the G751 its best to buy a notebook that already has a M.2 SSD factory installed and supported by Asus Support
Any other problem would be not having the correct type of M.2 SSD AHIC, SATA or NVMe.
PM cl-albert he is and Asus employee and is working hard to try to sort this all out so that we will have a exact correct answer in the mean time wait to save yourself a lot of aggravation to upgrade until the problems has a fully correct solution. He will post a sticky as soon as he is sure of how to solve this issue for everyone.

fastang
12-21-2015, 09:39 PM
I've experienced success! (I hope) I picked up the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 Series 500GB SATA III #MZ-N5E500BW installed it and it shows 465.64GB in disk management. I won't have time until later this week to install the operating system and programs to be sure but it's looking good so far. I'll keep you all updated.

izmouad
12-22-2015, 12:53 PM
To the guys who managed to integrate ssd to this laptop, please tell me if it's worth it, and if it really improved the speed when you install the OS in ssd.

Clintlgm
12-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Yes SSD are in a whole new category as far as speed of the OS and booting are concerned. Day and Night difference. The M.2 variations are even faster than the 2.5" versions. the issue is with this new technology Asus has let us down by not having the correct information for us to upgrade these notebooks. Case in Point notebooks that come with the M.2 SSD work very well, the issues are coming up because people want to save money on the front end and purchase notebooks with out the onboard M.2 SSD. We had the same confusion with the implication of UEFI eventually most of us figured it out. Still we see post from people that have no idea that UEFI is very different from BIOS. Hopefully Asus will get it together and give us the correct information for installing these M.2 SSD. In the mean time if your notebook does not work as advertised take it back to the vendor that is the only way to get Asus's attention.

mentalvideo
12-23-2015, 12:07 AM
" there currently seems to be 3 different Hard drive Variations that all connect to this connection NVMe, AHCI and SATA, you have to determine which standard type you Mother Board uses."

1. Could you provide detailed instructions as how to determine what type of motherboard one has so we get the correct drive?

2. If we know the type of Mother Board we have and then buy the SSD that is recommended, is it guaranteed to work then? (or at least supposed to)...

MrRuckus
12-23-2015, 01:14 AM
1. Could you provide detailed instructions as how to determine what type of motherboard one has so we get the correct drive?

2. If we know the type of Mother Board we have and then buy the SSD that is recommended, is it guaranteed to work then? (or at least supposed to)...

I dont think we know of a way to tell yet. If we can collect some mobo info, we may be able to determine it. I think the NVMe version uses the PCIe X4 slot. I have the NVMe drive that came in the laptop from Asus and show this in HWiNFO:

Performance readings from the drive. Someone said the write speeds were not very fast on these drives. I haven't experienced that yet.

john99
12-24-2015, 04:37 PM
I bought the Samsung 950 pro 256GB PCIe and the Bio and windows doesn't recognize it. I keep seeing post but have not found one that shows how to fix this issue or if their is a fix. Would like to know if Asus plans on fixing this issue with clarity? I have bio ver 207 with win10.

Richcraft
12-30-2015, 05:40 PM
There is a lot of confusion on this thread courtesy of the GL752VW-DH71 and the G752VL-DH71 having a similar model number. Just to be clear, I am an owner of the GL model, here is the link to the exact model I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/GL752VW-DH71-17-Inch-Discrete-GeForce-Metallic/dp/B01578ZK9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451495986&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+gl752

Like many of you, I am hesitant to purchase an SSD for the M.2 slot. In an effort to help with the motherboard data gathering, below is a screenshot of my motherboard slots via the program HWiNFO64. It appears the GL752 has completely different PCIE ports (most notably no x4 port) than the G752 model, leading me to believe solutions for one model will not help the other. If possible, if someone could recommend an SSD for the GL752 specifically, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if I can provide more info from my laptop.

prototype89
12-31-2015, 04:09 AM
There is a lot of confusion on this thread courtesy of the GL752VW-DH71 and the G752VL-DH71 having a similar model number. Just to be clear, I am an owner of the GL model, here is the link to the exact model I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/GL752VW-DH71-17-Inch-Discrete-GeForce-Metallic/dp/B01578ZK9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1451495986&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+gl752

Like many of you, I am hesitant to purchase an SSD for the M.2 slot. In an effort to help with the motherboard data gathering, below is a screenshot of my motherboard slots via the program HWiNFO64. It appears the GL752 has completely different PCIE ports (most notably no x4 port) than the G752 model, leading me to believe solutions for one model will not help the other. If possible, if someone could recommend an SSD for the GL752 specifically, I'd greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if I can provide more info from my laptop.

This is the M.2 SSD card I installed on my GL752 laptop last week. It's a Samsung Evo 850 M.2 Sata III

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-250-MZ-N5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVZTW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451534927&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+m.2+850

mentalvideo
12-31-2015, 06:46 AM
1. Did you buy this exact one from this amazon seller specifically?
2. Did you use the Samsung data migration software? (if not which did you use)
3. Does the GL752 come with a screw to secure it to the mother board? The Samsung SSD does not come with one.

This is the M.2 SSD card I installed on my GL752 laptop last week. It's a Samsung Evo 850 M.2 Sata III

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-250-MZ-N5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVZTW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451534927&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+m.2+850

nandodean
12-31-2015, 10:02 AM
3. Does the GL752 come with a screw to secure it to the mother board? The Samsung SSD does not come with one.

Check this thread out

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81513-ROG-GL552-WITH-Samsung-850-SATA-III-m2-drive-is-working-Here-s-How-I-Did-It

There's a post of mine supporting this steps for the 752 also. I have successfully installed the 850 EVO SATA III 256GB on my GL752VW without any major issue. Someone should make a sticky given the fact this topic is going to be asked really frequently

Ps: no, neither the laptop or the SSD come with the screw. You will need to find one. I took it from my old VAIO, it's a popular screw on electronics

izmouad
12-31-2015, 02:27 PM
I got the same laptop as you guys, this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01578ZK9A?ref_=cm_sw_r_other_awd_8PSmwbSJ7G415

No Im so angry that I got it it's pretty slow and it boots in more than 1 minute, and the screen is so so bad, I still didnt get any ssd for this beecause Im not sure it s really worth it I read somewhere that someone has integrated ssd and it still was slow.

Guys Please share your experiences with SSD and this Horrible ROG GL752.

Julskey
12-31-2015, 04:44 PM
I got the same laptop as you guys, this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01578ZK9A?ref_=cm_sw_r_other_awd_8PSmwbSJ7G415

No Im so angry that I got it it's pretty slow and it boots in more than 1 minute, and the screen is so so bad, I still didnt get any ssd for this beecause Im not sure it s really worth it I read somewhere that someone has integrated ssd and it still was slow.

Guys Please share your experiences with SSD and this Horrible ROG GL752.

Well if you like, you can install a 2.5" ssd in place of your hdd. I have a G751, I replaced my 1TB hdd with a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" ssd. What I did was connected the ssd using sata to usb, installed Samsung magician and migrated os to the ssd. Then replaced the hdd with the ssd. You can then install the hdd in an external hdd case, or if you have a secondary bay, then all is well. My boot time with the Samsung 840 evo is about 17 sec from pressing power button to windows desktop. Happy New Year.

prototype89
12-31-2015, 10:35 PM

1. I purchased the US model from Microcenter
2. I did not use Samsung Magician. Instead I used Easus TODO (Free edition)
3. There was no screw included. I purchased this set from Fry's to get hold of the M2 3mm screw.

http://www.frys.com/product/7229923?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Richcraft
01-01-2016, 12:15 AM
I just had a very interesting phone call with Asus, my ticket is N1512101227 for anyone officially affiliated with Asus to verify. I spoke to a nice gentleman named Marcel who put me on hold to determine whether my GL752VW would support PCIe or SATA. When I got this laptop in early December I immediately checked the manual for the SSD upgrade, around December 15th; the manual said no SATA, and provided no further detail. I just checked the manual again today and to my surprise it has been updated, see image below.

PCIe (NVME) or SATA?! Well this adds a new layer of confusion. If I can get NVME to work on this laptop, why would I want to go for the slower SATA? Now back to the phone call: Marcel comes back from hold while I'm staring at the manual and he informs me "he almost got in trouble for inquiring about hard drive upgrades" and "he is restricted in answering my question any further". There is a brief pause and then he says "I can tell by your inquiry that you are a tech-savvy guy, I recommend you call a vendor we are affiliated with to get an answer to the question" and proceeds to provide me the number to XOTIC PC. They are closed today, but I will try them next week. In the meantime, any thoughts Nandodean, Clintlgm, WineLackey and others?

Check this thread out

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81513-ROG-GL552-WITH-Samsung-850-SATA-III-m2-drive-is-working-Here-s-How-I-Did-It

There's a post of mine supporting this steps for the 752 also. I have successfully installed the 850 EVO SATA III 256GB on my GL752VW without any major issue. Someone should make a sticky given the fact this topic is going to be asked really frequently

Ps: no, neither the laptop or the SSD come with the screw. You will need to find one. I took it from my old VAIO, it's a popular screw on electronics

nandodean
01-01-2016, 06:40 PM
I just had a very interesting phone call with Asus, my ticket is N1512101227 for anyone officially affiliated with Asus to verify. I spoke to a nice gentleman named Marcel who put me on hold to determine whether my GL752VW would support PCIe or SATA. When I got this laptop in early December I immediately checked the manual for the SSD upgrade, around December 15th; the manual said no SATA, and provided no further detail. I just checked the manual again today and to my surprise it has been updated, see image below.

PCIe (NVME) or SATA?! Well this adds a new layer of confusion. If I can get NVME to work on this laptop, why would I want to go for the slower SATA? Now back to the phone call: Marcel comes back from hold while I'm staring at the manual and he informs me "he almost got in trouble for inquiring about hard drive upgrades" and "he is restricted in answering my question any further". There is a brief pause and then he says "I can tell by your inquiry that you are a tech-savvy guy, I recommend you call a vendor we are affiliated with to get an answer to the question" and proceeds to provide me the number to XOTIC PC. They are closed today, but I will try them next week. In the meantime, any thoughts Nandodean, Clintlgm, WineLackey and others?

Just don't read the manual. Asus itself can't explain the real specifications of the M.2 bay. On my spanish last version of the manual says the same, "no NVME/SATA supported". On the previous manual, said simply "no SATA supported" (exactly the same change you've reported), but it's a matter of fact I got it working with the EVO 850 SATA. Right now, the only way to guess, is to try the installation on the laptop yourself. If ASUS brings any details about which mothermoard supports which SSD on the M.2 bay.... It'll be easier, but until then, it's simply uncertainty. They simply don't know what have they done. If you need any help just quote me!

edit; re-reading your post, it says that BOTH SATA/NVME are supported, I thought it said NOT supported, as I have on my spanish manual. That is a 180 change.

Richcraft
01-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Just don't read the manual. Asus itself can't explain the real specifications of the M.2 bay. On my spanish last version of the manual says the same, "no NVME/SATA supported". On the previous manual, said simply "no SATA supported" (exactly the same change you've reported), but it's a matter of fact I got it working with the EVO 850 SATA. Right now, the only way to guess, is to try the installation on the laptop yourself. If ASUS brings any details about which mothermoard supports which SSD on the M.2 bay.... It'll be easier, but until then, it's simply uncertainty. They simply don't know what have they done. If you need any help just quote me!

edit; re-reading your post, it says that BOTH SATA/NVME are supported, I thought it said NOT supported, as I have on my spanish manual. That is a 180 change.

I agree, all my issues started when I read the manual! As far as I know, NVME requires a x4 PCIe slot in order to work. The GL752 only has a PCIe x16 and two PCIe x1. The PCIe x16 is being used by the GEFORCE GTX 960M, running at x8, which leaves 8 channels in spare. However, I do not believe there is a way for a PCIe x1 to use the excess channels. I stumbled over something about reallocating channels, but that is going to require NVME support in the BIOS/UEFI which I do not believe the GL752 has. If anyone has info regarding this, please chime in!

Clintlgm
01-02-2016, 05:44 PM
Well we actually only have one Asus Person in these forums We all need to Press cl-albert to get a definitive correct answer. Up to this point it seems that The GL 752 from Canada support SATA from the US Support NVMe and the GL551 support SATA from both. I think that is what we have come up with here in this forum. It may be that MB are being produced in multiple configuration and some how Asus has lost track or maybe its just a communication issue. It really sound like a serious SNFU if tech support people are being told not to support/Discuss hard drive upgrades. It is looking like the same as we were recommending with the G751 make sure you have the M.2 SSD installed when you buy it. That way you'll know what will work, as all you need to do it match it.

Richcraft
01-03-2016, 08:57 AM
Well we actually only have one Asus Person in these forums We all need to Press cl-albert to get a definitive correct answer. Up to this point it seems that The GL 752 from Canada support SATA from the US Support NVMe and the GL551 support SATA from both. I think that is what we have come up with here in this forum. It may be that MB are being produced in multiple configuration and some how Asus has lost track or maybe its just a communication issue. It really sound like a serious SNFU if tech support people are being told not to support/Discuss hard drive upgrades. It is looking like the same as we were recommending with the G751 make sure you have the M.2 SSD installed when you buy it. That way you'll know what will work, as all you need to do it match it.

I have a GL752, purchased in the U.S., and based off my motherboard slots, it only appears that my laptop has a PCIe x16 and two PCIe x1 slot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% positive an NVME card requires a PCIe x4 slot. Asus directed me to ask XOTIC PC, I took a look on their website and the only M.2 upgrades XOTIC offers for the GL752 are SATA III SSDs. If XOTIC isn't offering NVME, I'm thinking NVME is just not compatible with this model.

prototype89
01-03-2016, 04:10 PM
I had an online chat with ASUS before I installed my Sata SSD and the advisor, after putting me on hold for several minutes to check, came back and told me that the US model I had could take both SATA and NVME. He said that this was based on the serial number I gave him. I'm beginning to think they're improvising the info they give or maybe I do have an almighty machine that can take anything...

dbodyguru
01-03-2016, 04:23 PM
I have the G752VY.

I have the 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe SSD installed in one m2 slot and the default Samsung 951 128 GB NVMe in the other m2 slot. I have the 850 EVO SATA III 2.5 drive in the HDD slot (replacing it).

The 950 PRO works and I'm booting windows off of it (see my other guide posts how I did it if you guys are curious) and the speeds I am getting, according to some benchmarking, seem about right. Device Manager recognizes the 950 PRO and so on.

But I can't install the official samsung NVME controller drivers. I try to install and I get an error message saying the 950 NVMe device is not detected. Samsung Partition Magic software also does not recognize the 950 PRO, and puts it as the 850 EVO instead (it shows TWO 850 EVO drives instead of the 850 EVO and the 950 PRO drive. I know it is showing the 950 PRO as the second 850 EVO drive since doing speed tests with partition wizard on that drive letter show NVMe speeds, NOT SATA III speeds).

I've also installed the intel controller drivers which made NO difference to the speed benchmarks (vs using the default MS driver) or the ability to install samsung official nvme controller drivers. I've also just updated to that new BIOS you guys linked to. This did NOT fix it -- I stil can't install the official drivers and the speed benchmark is about the same as it was before the bios update or the intel driver update.

So yea, that's the state of things -- Asus still needs to fix the bios to support the 950 PRO officially, or at least fix the issue with the official samsung drivers NOT installing which means you can't use Partition Wizard.

Here's the speed benchmark of the 950 PRO. As you see, it's about what it should be for the drive yes? So I don't know if the speeds should be faster. But maybe not having the official drivers working means the drive will burn out faster or something.

The drive is fast, very fast (see my comparision post where I put it up against the 951 NVMe and the 850 EVO pro). But yea.

Hope that helps and I hope asus fixes this.

Richcraft
01-03-2016, 05:45 PM
I had an online chat with ASUS before I installed my Sata SSD and the advisor, after putting me on hold for several minutes to check, came back and told me that the US model I had could take both SATA and NVME. He said that this was based on the serial number I gave him. I'm beginning to think they're improvising the info they give or maybe I do have an almighty machine that can take anything...

Prototype89, can you do me a favor and download HWiNFO, scan your computer and take a screen capture similar to the one below of your motherboard tab? I'm trying to see what PCIe slots the motherboard in your GL752 has. That'll answer some questions if you can do that!

Edit; here's the link for HWiNfo: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Richcraft
01-03-2016, 05:51 PM
I have the G752VY.

Guru, I'm glad your NVME drive is working in your G752VY. It has been similarly reported across the forums that the NVME Samsung drivers are not installing correctly. However, this thread is specifically for the G -L- 752VW. Asus made the mistake of producing two laptops with very similar model numbers which is leading to a lot of G752VY owners jumping into this thread to report success with installing NVME SSDs. Unfortunately, the GL752VW has a different motherboard and PCIe slots, the two laptops are not one in the same. G752VY is advertised as compatible with NVME so no surprises there, however, the GL752VW M.2 SSD compatibility type is up in the air with no specifics offered from Asus or the product manual.

prototype89
01-03-2016, 06:04 PM

Same as yours except for the newer BIOS Update.

Richcraft
01-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Same as yours except for the newer BIOS Update.

It looks like we can put this topic to rest. PCIe (NVME) drives require a PCIe x4 slot. The GL752, at least in both of our cases, does not have a PCIe x4 port. No change of bios or flip of a switch is going to give this model a x4 port, so it isn't a matter of software/firmware updates.

Considering everything in totality, the manual, Asus support comments and the success of users installing SATA III drives in the GL552 and GL752, SATA III is the compatible drive for these models. Any comments otherwise are either Asus speaking generally about the M.2 expansion slot (yes PCIe can accept SATA and NVME, but you need to look at the speed of the slot to determine compatibility) or Asus support themselves are confusing the G752 and the GL752 when customers call. Considering many of us in the forum have made this same mistake, the latter wouldn't be surprising. At this point I can say definitely, if you are an owner of a GL552 or GL752, your compatible drive is a SATA III.

Request sticky considering at the time of this post this thread has received over 11,661 views. Researching SSD compatibillity for my GL752 is how I discovered this website and thread to begin with, I'm sure I'm not alone. I also request a sticky because the manual does not specify the type of drive compatible with the GL552 or GL752, in addition, the Asus customer support line will not answer this question.

Fipser
01-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Hi,
just bought the GL752VW myself here in Germany so i have the EU-Version?!. Anyways i read all the posts here on the last few pages including those from Cl-Albert and i want to upgrade with an M.2 2280 SSD too!
So right now by looking at the German manual it says my GL752VW only supports NVMe (PCIe) SSD's and by looking at my slot i can tell it is M-key'ed so that means it CAN support NVMe (PCIe x4) if i'm right. Despite the information about many successful SSD installations with SATA III-protocol in the US-region, i would like to see official information about the protocol compatibility. And also information about the EU-models. I just called ASUS Support here in Germany today and they told me they basically give NO information concerning any upgrades to the hardware...seems like the information about wether it's SATA or NVMe supported in your GL752VW needs to come from these forums, other user experiences or you have to build in both variations with 50/50 chance of success ;)

Richcraft
01-05-2016, 03:40 PM
Fipser,

Take a look a few posts up, #112, and download HWiNFO64. Take a screenshot of your motherboard tab like Prototype did and post it here. Based off the PCIe ports your motherboard has, I can tell you which SSD your specific GL752 is compatible with. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Fipser
01-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Richcraft,
thank you! i don't have Windows installed on the notebook yet. So i'll take a look into the BIOS soon to maybe (hopefully) find similar information there! So anything else than PCIe x4 should give SATA III support right?

EDIT:

As already mentioned somewhere here before the BIOS options are very! limited and i can't see any info about the PCIe configuration. Is there any way figure it out without windows installed?
I just read a review on german Amazon for the GL752VW that comes with a 128 GB M.2 SSD and the guy found out it's a Samsung SSD (MZNLF128HCHP) which is a SATA model! I will look for more reviews on models with pre-installed SSDs if they also all detect SATA drives mine should be SATA too!

dbodyguru,

could you also provide a screenshot from HWiNFO like the ones above. If it shows a PCIe x4 then at least HWiNFO is the right choice to find the correct SSD type.

Richcraft
01-06-2016, 05:51 AM
Richcraft,
thank you! i don't have Windows installed on the notebook yet. So i'll take a look into the BIOS soon to maybe (hopefully) find similar information there! So anything else than PCIe x4 should give SATA III support right?

EDIT:

As already mentioned somewhere here before the BIOS options are very! limited and i can't see any info about the PCIe configuration. Is there any way figure it out without windows installed?
I just read a review on german Amazon for the GL752VW that comes with a 128 GB M.2 SSD and the guy found out it's a Samsung SSD (MZNLF128HCHP) which is a SATA model! I will look for more reviews on models with pre-installed SSDs if they also all detect SATA drives mine should be SATA too!

dbodyguru,

could you also provide a screenshot from HWiNFO like the ones above. If it shows a PCIe x4 then at least HWiNFO is the right choice to find the correct SSD type.

Fipser, dbodyguru has the G752VY, which is a different model entirely from the GL752. The G752 (note the missing L in the model number), is compatible with NVME. Unfortunately, Asus made two laptops with very similar model numbers which is causing owners of both laptops to chime in, raising the confusion even further. Unless Asus decided to change the motherboard for the EU version of the GL752, which I highly doubt, I can say with high certainty that your EU version GL752 only has a PCIe x1 slot, which will only support SATA III. A PCIe x4 slot comes at a premium, it's not something Asus would just upgrade on a whim without a change in price. At this time, NVME support is reserved for the higher end Asus ROG models. The GL series is mid-grade, aimed at greater affordability.

Fipser
01-06-2016, 03:40 PM
Richcraft,

Right! you should be correct! Since the one identified by the Amazon guy is SATA too. This SSD has B/M-key'ing which is the most common key configuration for SATA M.2 SSD's. Should work in my M-Key slot though. Right here i can find very few SATA M.2 SSD's that come with M-Key only (some Intel ones). I will order a SATA M.2 SSD today and report back when it arrives!

EDIT:

I will try the Crucial MX200 250GB (CT250MX200SSD4).

Richcraft
01-06-2016, 11:19 PM
I look forward to hearing back from you. I checked out the Crucial MX200, that should work just fine.

Richcraft,

Right! you should be correct! Since the one identified by the Amazon guy is SATA too. This SSD has B/M-key'ing which is the most common key configuration for SATA M.2 SSD's. Should work in my M-Key slot though. Right here i can find very few SATA M.2 SSD's that come with M-Key only (some Intel ones). I will order a SATA M.2 SSD today and report back when it arrives!

EDIT:

drevel123
01-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Richcraft,

EDIT:

Hi, I ordered my notebook (Asus GL752VW-T4108D) in Germany, too. At first, I bought a ssd by Samsung (NVME) and it wasn't recognized by neither the bios nor Windows Setup. I have now looked my system up in HWInfo and there is indeed no PCIX4 available. I wanted to buy the Samsung 850 EVO (250GB) as mentioned before, because Amazon makes it easy to return it if not functioning. This one should work, too, shouldn't it?

Fipser
01-07-2016, 08:46 PM
drevel123,

yes the 850 EVO should work as well since it is also SATA! But to be 100% sure we have to install it and see if it is detected correctly (in the BIOS for example).

Fipser
01-08-2016, 02:38 PM
Guys,

I received the Crucial MX200 SSD today and installed it in my GL752VW and it was successfully detected! (i checked it in the BIOS - Serial ATA device list). So this means installing Windows onto the SSD should be no problem!.

Here some information about the SSD again:

Crucial MX200 250 GB M.2 2280 SSD [CT250MX200SSD4] - (SATA 6Gb/s - SATA III) - protocol: AHCI

Link with more info's:

-click- (https://geizhals.de/crucial-mx200-250gb-ct250mx200ssd4-a1215161.html)

innocent_
01-10-2016, 05:46 AM
I saw a person who bought this model from amazon and he sent his motherboard's photo. He lives in Turkey just like me and he bought that before the December. He is using a pci ssd. Tomorrow my purchase will also arrive I hope I have the same motherboard as below.

Edit: photo was removed.

Fipser
01-10-2016, 05:21 PM
I can't see any motherboard information in your HWiNFO screenshot! we need the info on your Motherboard Slots.

innocent_
01-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Edit: Message was removed because of the Asus' and amazon''s warning.

Fipser
01-10-2016, 05:43 PM
I'm not 100% sure but the pci express x4 should say that it supports PCIe/NVMe SSD's! Would be good if Richcraft could also reply on this!

To avoid confusion we are only talking about the GL752(VW) here.

innocent_
01-10-2016, 05:51 PM
I have to delete the motherboard information because Asus and amazon warned that guy. I'm sorry about that. Thanks for your understanding.

aikiguy
01-13-2016, 11:23 PM
i just installed the Crucial 250 GB MX200.

My G-L-752v Recognized it and I have been able to copy and read data from it just fine.

I am currently trying to get it to be the boot and system drive. The copy of ACRONIS 2015 that came for free with the Crucial SSD did not result in a correctly operating system disk.
The computer boots but the only thing windows does is flash the desktop a bunch.

Anther user reported this issue with his GL552 and was able to successfully use Macrum free version to clone the disk and have ti work.

I will be posting how well this worked after it is done cloning.

Has anyone else had a similar experience which they successfully resolved, which might provide me with some additional options or insight?

Has anyone been able to install a larger ssd into the M2 slot than the 250GB?

Thanks,
Guy

o2l8
01-13-2016, 11:43 PM
I started fresh. I did what the first sticky says in this thread.

aikiguy
01-14-2016, 01:20 AM
There are no stickys in this thread.

What did you install 250gb or bigger?

Thanks,
Guy

aikiguy
01-14-2016, 03:01 AM
Ok that didn't work at all. The Macrum effect moved the data, but didn't make the drive bootable. Trying again with the acronis software... Will See also I may not have set something up correctly on the Macrum software when cloning.
Macrum does not seem to support partition resizing, so trying to clone the 1tb with 170gb on it to the ssd, isn't going to work. Tried Acronis again, but havean error where explorer repeatedly crashes.
Going to try again, will report more later.

aikiguy
01-14-2016, 04:18 AM
Ok it works, and wow is it fast!!

Boot up, is in seconds.

What I did. upgrading the GL752VW laptop by utilizing a SSD in the M.2 slot.
basic process I followed.
I selected this drive:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZ6GZHO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02
A couple of reasons that I liked this drive: It came with the screw to hold it in place. It came with a free version of Acronis to allow you to clone your drive to it.
Previously I had expanded my drive on my GL752VW to use the entire 1 TB as a single drive. (their are directions elsewhere on how to do this let me know if you need pointing to them)
You don't need to expand your drive, but you will need to know where the OS portion of your drive is. (Funny enough it is called OS from the factory).
Install the M.2 drive in to the bottom of the computer using the provided screw. (See you tube videos if you need help with that).
When you start your GL752 following the installation of the drive, hold down the F2 key when you press the power on button. This will take you into the bios.
Down arrow key down to Sata Options and make sure you can see the new drive.
Right Arrow key over to advanced, then to boot options and make sure that your old HDD NOT THE SSD is set as the #1 boot option.
Save and exit using F10
Your computer should boot just like normal.
Install the Acronis software by following the link on the included acronis sheet that came with the Crucial SSD.
(hint, the sn that you need is not the serial number of the drive, but the serial number that is printed on the other side of the acronis sheet.
Start Acronis true image.
Select the clone option.
Set the source partition to be your OS partition
Set the destination to be the SSD
Let acronis do its thing.

NOW this is Important!!!!
After Acronis shuts down the computer.
Remove the original HDD (Don't worry we are going to put it back in later.)
If you don't remove it, then the new SSD will boot, but windows will constantly crash and restart the explorer program, the system will not be usefull. If you did this, you have to restart the cloning part
Power on the laptop.
Watch how fast it boots. (Note the post Power On Self Test, the part where Asus is on the screen, won't be any faster, but windows will load in a flash
Once the computer is booted, shut down using the normal shutdown option
Replace the HDD into the comptuer
Power the computer back up.

I recommend renaming the Old Drive to something like data, I also recommend expanding it to the full size instead of the silly partitions it came with.

YMMV.
Guy

o2l8
01-14-2016, 09:53 AM
Glad you got it to work. I bought the 500g 850EVO and used this methodhttps://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation) with the original hd removed. Installed windows 10, installed the drivers and then reinstalled the original hd. It auto boots to the ssd. Installing my software now. Then I will format the original.

Just to clarify the 850 EVO 500g samsung SATA works as it should. Now to send the 950 pro back.

scrat
01-17-2016, 05:22 PM
I bought a GL752VW T4064D in Spain with spanish qwerty keyboard and I wanted to upgrade with a ssd, in the first revision of the italian manual (I'm italian) there was written that the system supports only NVME SSD but in the last revision both type.
I asked to the Asus tech support to tell me the correct SSD type with my serial number and they replied that the model GL752VW only supports "1*NGFF type 2280 SATA3 and PCIE co-lay, SATA3 (128/256gb).
Hope I was helpful, if You have any question tell me.

Paco572
01-20-2016, 12:03 AM
The ASUS website says the ROG GL752 here

http://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL752VW/HelpDesk_Knowledge/

What type of M.2 SSD does GL752 series support in North America?

US version GL752 series support SATA3
Canada version GL752 series support PCIE Gen3x4

So the Canadian Version should support NVMe

PACO

ledgedes
01-20-2016, 01:05 AM
I cloned my M.2 to a Samsung EVO850, Removed the m.2, installed the 850, and powered up. No Problem

Cowboysrule2015
06-03-2016, 07:09 AM
The AHCI sm951 works with the g752
Get the correct m.2 drive
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-256GB-AHCI-MZHPV256HDGL-00000/dp/B00VELD92U
or
and follow this guide
https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296

Next time search because this has been answered by me at least 10 other times now.

Does these SSD M.2 also work for model G752VL? Asus tech says that SSD M.2 is not comptaible for any SSD even with the PCIE M.2 slots. Can anyone please confirm if this is true?

Gustave
06-03-2016, 09:51 AM
NVMe M.2 Samsung 950 Pro SSD!

cl-Albert@ROG
06-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Does these SSD M.2 also work for model G752VL? Asus tech says that SSD M.2 is not comptaible for any SSD even with the PCIE M.2 slots. Can anyone please confirm if this is true?

fyi.
Although the G752 series and GL752 series sound pretty similar, they really aren't that similar, so just wanted to remind everyone to be careful of this when checking info for each.
It probably didn't help that this thread was in the 'G series' notebooks section before though, but I've just moved it to the 'GL series' notebooks. Thanks!

JustinThyme
06-04-2016, 12:40 AM

No those SSDs will not work in any G752 model, You need NVMe.

Samsung OEM letters start with MZVPV for NVMe, MZHPV is AHCI and it wont work

Any Samsung 950 pro will work as they are all NVMe.

Ticklepig
08-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Hi guys

Very nice device.

Thanks in advance,
Steffen

Steffen, I purchased the ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD (ROG Metallic) and had to jump through hoops, educate myself and make a few mistakes but I did it successfully. I'm not going to post those here but at the bottom of the thread sonewer people with the same issues can see what I did.

Ticklepig
08-22-2016, 06:51 PM
I purchased the ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD (ROG Metallic). I needed a lot of the features and I am a 100% traveling consultant who usually has to buy a new 17-inch screen HP every year. I got tired of it so I started looking and found ASUS rated higher than HP The only way to get the features I wanted was to step up to a gaming laptop. I didn't want to spend $1,800 or $2,400+ for a but I dropped $1,259 on this machine because it had wanted. Since I had been buying regular go to work laptops for years I really wasn't aware of the SSD technology that could be used for a primary drive. However, I soon realized 128 gigabytes was probably not going to work for me even though I directed all of my user folders to the HDD Drive. So here's what I learned.

The M.2 card was SATA, not PCIe like so many posts said it was. Someone in this thread mentioned that the Samsung 950 would work. That is wrong, the Samsung 950 is there an PCIe card. I know because I had to return it. The correct card, or at least the one I know that works well, is the Samsung 850 EVO SATA 250GB card. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIVZTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This particular model will only go as high as 256GB
just a word of advice, the screw that you need to use to set it in place is a huge pain in the ass
since I already had an existing 128GB SSD card I needed to clone it to the new one. If you're working with machine that doesn't start out with the SSD as the primary cloning might not be necessary unless you're doing it from your HDD Drive and have the space.
to clone the new SSD 256 gigabyte card I had to purchase 2 accessories. You might find one part that does it all. I needed a USB compatible card that would accept the M.2 80mm SSD SATA drive. In my case I needed to buy the USB adapter separately.
just plugging that all in is only the start. I happen to have Acronis True Image which had the capability to recognize the new Drive and that it hadn't been initialized. Once initialized the drive showed up like any other Drive-In File Explorer.
you can use any software at that point too clone the 128 gigabyte drive to the 256 gigabyte Drive connected via USB
from here it's a simple process to open the panel on the back of the machine, replace the 128 with the 256 and figure out how to get that screw to hold it down. I gave up with the screw and actually inserts and padding to hold it down.
I put the panel back on, machine over, booted up, and in about 10 seconds my system was up and I have a 180 gigabyte space left on my new primary 256 SSD card
I hope this helps someone tech support is useless. First they say it really cant be done because that was the way the manufacturer built it. Then they said Id need to find a qualified technician and even that would void the warranty. So in case anything happens in the next 12 months Ill just stick the original 128 card back in and ship it to them to fix

foxfirej2
08-23-2016, 09:23 PM
I purchased the ASUS ROG GL752VW-DH74 17-Inch Gaming Laptop, Discrete GPU GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB VRAM, 16GB DDR4, 1 TB, 128 GB SSD (ROG Metallic). I needed a lot of the features and I am a 100% traveling consultant who usually has to buy a new 17-inch screen HP every year. I got tired of it so I started looking and found ASUS rated higher than HP The only way to get the features I wanted was to step up to a gaming laptop. I didn't want to spend $1,800 or $2,400+ for a but I dropped $1,259 on this machine because it had wanted. Since I had been buying regular go to work laptops for years I really wasn't aware of the SSD technology that could be used for a primary drive. However, I soon realized 128 gigabytes was probably not going to work for me even though I directed all of my user folders to the HDD Drive. So here's what I learned.

The M.2 card was SATA, not PCIe like so many posts said it was. Someone in this thread mentioned that the Samsung 950 would work. That is wrong, the Samsung 950 is there an PCIe card. I know because I had to return it. The correct card, or at least the one I know that works well, is the Samsung 850 EVO SATA 250GB card. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIVZTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This particular model will only go as high as 256GB
just a word of advice, the screw that you need to use to set it in place is a huge pain in the ass
since I already had an existing 128GB SSD card I needed to clone it to the new one. If you're working with machine that doesn't start out with the SSD as the primary cloning might not be necessary unless you're doing it from your HDD Drive and have the space.
to clone the new SSD 256 gigabyte card I had to purchase 2 accessories. You might find one part that does it all. I needed a USB compatible card that would accept the M.2 80mm SSD SATA drive. In my case I needed to buy the USB adapter separately.
just plugging that all in is only the start. I happen to have Acronis True Image which had the capability to recognize the new Drive and that it hadn't been initialized. Once initialized the drive showed up like any other Drive-In File Explorer.
you can use any software at that point too clone the 128 gigabyte drive to the 256 gigabyte Drive connected via USB
from here it's a simple process to open the panel on the back of the machine, replace the 128 with the 256 and figure out how to get that screw to hold it down. I gave up with the screw and actually inserts and padding to hold it down.
I put the panel back on, machine over, booted up, and in about 10 seconds my system was up and I have a 180 gigabyte space left on my new primary 256 SSD card
I hope this helps someone tech support is useless. First they say it really cant be done because that was the way the manufacturer built it. Then they said Id need to find a qualified technician and even that would void the warranty. So in case anything happens in the next 12 months Ill just stick the original 128 card back in and ship it to them to fix

256 GB???????

That's wrong. I've been running my GL752VW with the 500 GB SSD of the same model, and it's been working great. It can probably take a 1 TB SSD with no issues, but from my own experience, the 500 GB has no issues whatsoever on the GL752VW.

evoluzione
09-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Hi guys
I have Asus G750JH with the proprietary ssd 2x128 setup that hook onto an M.2 NGFF SATA" and 1 hdd slot of 1 TB
Since failure of the ssd twice 6 months apart and no actual trust in the service provided by asus in Greece i want to change this setup since it seams it has great issues
Can anybody provide me with a solution to this specific model?
Has anybody successfully dismounted this adapter M.2 NGFF SATA in order to install an ssd of their choice?
In the first service and under warranty they told me that it was a motherboard issue and that they changed the motherboard (something i find strange to believe )
The notebook runs fine now because i cancelled the ssd setup and i am running only on the remaining hdd of 1tb
Thus proving that the motherboard is working but something is happening with this adapter that keeps burning the ssds
Certainly i have to find another solution than the Asus service since they probably await me after the complaint i filed to tell me that a new motherboard is needed again and the notebooks warranty just expired
Another fact is if someone has a similar problem be aware that no extended warranty is given not even for the motherboard they changed
I am very calm at this point finding out that i will not throw away a 2000 euro unused notebook and i want to create awareness of asus practice concerning high end machines
I lost two times files needed for my work and other ones like family photos that nobody can replace and the answer i got is : we changed your motherboard what else you want?
Any help would be great concerning the ssd setup!

INFARADIS
11-20-2016, 03:10 PM
i have the same problem, but is not just simple to make a sm 951 work in a gl752vw,
the bios is not recognising the m2 ssd,
which settings do I need to improve to work?
the laptop spcs should be working but in reality doesn't works
what we have to do?

g53ok
11-22-2016, 01:05 AM
Without thinking too much I purchased a Samsung 850 evo 512gb, of course it wasn't recognized. The manual states that a m.2 ssd sata will not work. It must have a NVME interface, so I'm hoping I will get the correct one now also hoping that the sata one is taken back by Amazon.ca
I have the G752VS- db71. with bios #306 which has CSM greyed out??

cl-Albert@ROG
11-22-2016, 01:41 AM
Without thinking too much I purchased a Samsung 850 evo 512gb, of course it wasn't recognized. The manual states that a m.2 ssd sata will not work. It must have a NVME interface, so I'm hoping I will get the correct one now also hoping that the sata one is taken back by Amazon.ca
I have the G752VS- db71. with bios #306 which has CSM greyed out??

fyi.
Unfortunately, our model names can be confusing, but the G752 series is completely different from the GL752 series despite the somewhat similar sounding names.

If you haven't tried it, disable secure boot, save and exit the bios, and get back into the bios to enable launch CSM.
I may try to edit this after I check into it more though on a different model since I don't have a G752VS around to check right now, but something probably better discussed in a new thread if it doesn't help. Thanks!

INFARADIS
11-25-2016, 11:50 PM
on back side on the laptop say: Suport SSD M2 2280 sata only
and i have sm951 ahci
and gl752vw
where is the problem?
the bios is diferent then adree models...

dinoshan
11-28-2016, 09:49 AM
on back side on the laptop say: Suport SSD M2 2280 sata only
and i have sm951 ahci
and gl752vw
where is the problem?
the bios is diferent then adree models...

You can be certain that Samsung Evo 850 M2 SATA will work. There has been numerous attempts to make 951 ahci work. But I've yet to see anyone
successful in any of those attempts.

m.anghel
11-29-2016, 06:36 AM
I have a GL752VW-T4015D. On the back it is written M2 2280 SATA ONLY.
I want to buy a SSD WD Blue 250GB SATA-III M.2 2280. Can somebody tell me if this will work?
I was reading and reading this thread and....it is becoming rather confusing.... :(

Cris4524
12-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Hello guys!

I contacted the Customer Support of ASUS and I receive the following answer:

Dear customer,

About your question, we would like to inform you that ASUS GL752VW products were manufactured until 03/01/2016 had the motherboard (GL752VW MB._0M/I7-6700HQ/AS - R2.0(V2G)(SATA)) while the later products (like yours) have the motherboard (GL752VW MB._0M/I7-6700HQ/AS - R2.1(V4G)(SATA))

There is no compatibility list stating whether they are fully functional (read / write speeds with the disc manufacturer specifications)

Under the motherboard chip-set, the following disks are tested in normal use only, not in demanding.

This change is due to the fact that the new ASUS GL752VW products have been tested and have worked with the following ssds:

MICRON/MTFDDAV256MBF-1AN1ZABYY
SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000
SAMSUNG/MZNLF128HCHP-00004
SAMSUNG/MZVLV128HCGR-00000
HYNIX/HFS512G39MND-3510A
HYNIX/HFS512G39TND-N210A

* Furthermore, you should be have installed the last version of BIOS (version 214)
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL752VW/GL752VW-AS214.zip?_ga=1.232828060.38080004.1466674226

Yours sincerely,
ASUS GREEK SUPPORT

XenO-AtreuS
12-08-2016, 06:42 PM
I have a UK model GL752VW manufactured in march this year. Its has the "SATA only" stick on the bottom.

Seems that if you run HWinfo and your motherboard has the intel HM-170 chipset then you have a SATA M2 slot.... if its the other then you have the faster x4 and can use the super fast M2 cards.

I have installed a crucial 525GB SATA M2 2280SS SSD and it works perfectly.. detected right away in BIOS and runs at full 500MB/S speeds.

So as far as i can tell you need to run HWinfo and check the motherboard tab and see what chipset you have before deciding on an SSD M2 for your machine.

maiquelrinco
01-15-2017, 12:34 AM
Hellos Guys,

I just ask here because I post in another thread about G501 series and nobody there answer.

I got ASUS ROG G501JW with latest bios 211, I try 3 different M.2 Slots with UEFI Mode and booting from USB windows 10 and without sucess of detection in BIOS, btw the BIOS of this model is very poor.

I try this 3 models and doesn't work.
- MZVLV512HCJH-00000 Samsung 512GB PM951 (PCIe_NVMe) V2 TLC UBX M.2 Samsung SSD -
- SAMSUNG SM951 512GB M.2 PCI-E
- INTEL M.2 Series 600p 512 GB SSDPEKKW512G7X1

Anyone could help me give the right model for G501JW.

my email is maiquelrinco@hotmail.com

Mike Jani
03-18-2017, 11:24 AM
I have a UK model GL752VW manufactured in march this year. Its has the "SATA only" stick on the bottom.

Seems that if you run HWinfo and your motherboard has the intel HM-170 chipset then you have a SATA M2 slot.... if its the other then you have the faster x4 and can use the super fast M2 cards.

I have installed a crucial 525GB SATA M2 2280SS SSD and it works perfectly.. detected right away in BIOS and runs at full 500MB/S speeds.

So as far as i can tell you need to run HWinfo and check the motherboard tab and see what chipset you have before deciding on an SSD M2 for your machine.

I can confirm that this same drive is working in my GL752VW-DH71 manufactured in October 2015.

Bedros
04-25-2017, 11:17 AM
i have a question and I am really courios, cuz I need to buy an other ssd to replace my Intel SSD 600p Series, 512 GB, M.2 22 x 80mm PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 (SSDPEKKW512G7X1), it dosen't work with GL752VW and of course in manual says is working with this model, SUPRISE it doesn't.
Dose anyone know if this SSD SD8SN8U-512G-1122, M.2, 512GB, SanDisk X400 (SD8SN8U-512G-1122 ) it will work with GL752VW ?

SuperAND
08-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Hello! I bought it NVMe SSD Samsung 960 EVO m.2 250Gb, the laptop Asus gl752vw does not see it not in the "bios" is not "in the management of disks." Installed Windows 10 Pro, bios version 214.

Clintlgm
08-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Have you read this entire thread? and not come up with the solution

SuperAND
08-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Samsung ssd sm951 ahci m.2 256 gb?

cl-Albert@ROG
08-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately, not all GL752VW units use the same type of M.2 SSD, so you want to figure out which motherboard your unit has first which may support only SATA3 M.2 SSDs or PCIe M.2 SSDs, but not both at the same time.
Check for a label under the case, or you may want to check if your store or local ASUS support can check from your serial number.
Send me a PM at cl-Albert with your serial number if you want me to check on my end.

SuperAND
08-15-2017, 08:14 AM
The bottom of the cover says "SATA SSD ONLY".

JustinThyme
08-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Samsung ssd sm951 ahci m.2 256 gb?

Sounds like you are limited to M2 SATA only and cannot run AHCI either. The SM951 AHCI was short lived when PCIe M2 was first introduced. Thing is your slot connects to a SATA III controller, not PCIe.

A drive like this will work but wont offer any greater advanatge other than size over the 2.5 inch SSD

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147398&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-N82E16820147398&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9-G6-JLZ1QIVkxuBCh1s9AZqEAYYBSABEgLnmPD_BwE

Aleksandar Niksic
08-28-2017, 10:20 PM
I have GL752VW not metalic cover and on the back it is written "SATA only" but when i open HwInfo i get this:66918
So I'm confused.

Aleksandar Niksic
08-28-2017, 10:34 PM
This is info for m.2 SSD
https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-pm951-mzvlv128hcgr-solid-state-drive-128-gb-pci-express-3-0-x4-nvme/specs/

Aleksandar Niksic
08-28-2017, 10:40 PM
and finally this is response from asus?!

So it "M.2 SATA Only " and
does not support PCI-E M.2 devices
and inside is NVME SSD.

So what 500gb SSD should I buy ?
Please help if you understand this mess ...

ROG17
09-23-2017, 05:37 AM
and finally this is response from asus?!

So it "M.2 SATA Only " and
does not support PCI-E M.2 devices
and inside is NVME SSD.

So what 500gb SSD should I buy ?
Please help if you understand this mess ...

I installed a Samsung M.2 EVO 500GB MZ-N5E500BW in my GL752VW-T4081T and it works well.
Prior to that I installed a Samsung EVO NVME M.2 250GB MZ-V6E250, which the motherboard did not pick up at all.

Aleksandar Niksic
02-07-2018, 03:49 PM
I installed a Samsung M.2 EVO 500GB MZ-N5E500BW in my GL752VW-T4081T and it works well.
Prior to that I installed a Samsung EVO NVME M.2 250GB MZ-V6E250, which the motherboard did not pick up at all.

I have just bought and installed Samsung M.2 EVO 500GB MZ-N5E500BW and i have sata Samsung EVO 500GB MZ-N5E500BW already and computer doesn;t recongnize M.2. Please help...

konzelmann
07-10-2018, 11:13 AM
I sent a PM the other day, trying to determine which SSD my GL752VW would support.

I have not bought a drive yet, so I just would appreciate an answer so that I can make the right purchase and save myself some tears.

Serial number is *** Edited by cl-Albert 7/10/18 ***

Will my laptop work with SATA or NVME? Basically it boils down to whether or not I'd get the Samsung 860 EVO (SATA 3) or Samsung 960 EVO (NVME)

Thank you

cl-Albert@ROG
07-10-2018, 04:31 PM
I sent a PM the other day, trying to determine which SSD my GL752VW would support.

I have not bought a drive yet, so I just would appreciate an answer so that I can make the right purchase and save myself some tears.

Will my laptop work with SATA or NVME? Basically it boils down to whether or not I'd get the Samsung 860 EVO (SATA 3) or Samsung 960 EVO (NVME)

Hi konzelmann,

Sorry for the delay and hope you don't mind that I edited your serial number, but only internal ASUS people would be able to use it to check the M.2 SSD support, so didn't want to leave it out there just in case.

Anyway, showing on my end that your serial number and motherboard will only be able to support SATA3 M.2 SSDs, so you want to stay away from any PCIe M.2 SSDs including PCIe NVME M.2 SSDs.

Hope this helps.

Clintlgm
07-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Thank you

Link to your user manual you should find the answer in there as to what your M.2 port or ports will support https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-GL752VW/HelpDesk_Manual/

konzelmann
07-12-2018, 11:30 PM
I wanted to follow up by saying that as had been recommended, I purchased a SATA3 M.2 SSD - in this case, the Samsung 860 Evo M2 SATA 3 drive, and it is now installed and works great in my GL752VW.

cl-Albert@ROG
07-13-2018, 04:15 PM
I wanted to follow up by saying that as had been recommended, I purchased a SATA3 M.2 SSD - in this case, the Samsung 860 Evo M2 SATA 3 drive, and it is now installed and works great in my GL752VW.

Glad to hear it worked out and thanks for letting us know.
Yes, it's really worth it to switch from a mechanical boot hard drive to really any kind of SSD drive for the faster boot up and shutdown times in my opinion as long as you can figure out how to transfer your Windows image over.