PDA

View Full Version : G752 with Samsung 950 Pro SSD....new information

hosedup
11-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Im starting this thread with the hopes of bringing together information about these two wonderful devices and how to make them play nicely.
So, this is what ive found so far.
There is an inherent incompatibility between these two devices that prevents the 950 from installing and running correctly. Ive gotten the run around from both Asus and Samsung tech support concerning this problem. I even created a conference call but that devolved to name calling. Samsung claims its a buggy BIOS, Asus claims its a buggy memory controller. I expected this, especially after talking to aeolisio. Apparently hes had the same experience.

The problem that I have is when attempting to install win10 from a USB stick (stick built using Microsoft's utility) I get all way to where I select the target drive and the SSD is not listed. Ive tried formatting the drive MBR and GPT and either helps. I tried using the "have disk" and loading Samsung's win7 driver for the 950 but that did not work either. With each of these attempts, I tried many different BIOS settings as well. Nothing worked.

But, I did manage to get the SSD to work and wow, is it fast. I have the G752VL with win10 and can go from pushing the power button to the desktop in under 9 seconds. Here is how I did it:

-Installed the SSD in the M.2 slot then booted. Win10 picked up the drive and installed the drivers for it.
-Partitioned the drive, it worked fine and was very quick.
-Next I ran the data migration tool from Samsung to image the mechanical drive to the SSD.
-Finally, shutdown and removed the mechanical drive. Windows booted off the SSD.

Windows 10 boots stupid fast. Games load faster than I have ever seen. Its crazy.

But, its not all sunshine and rainbows, there is a down side.
-I cant install the Samsung driver. When I try, the install program states that the Samsung SSD is not installed......even though in device manager, it is listed as "NVMe Samsung SSD 950" under disk drives.
-Samsung Magician will install but will not work. It does not recognize the SSD as a Samsung device. The 950 is listed as "aSsmnu gSS D59 0RP O15G2 B (0.00 GB)" The serial number as reported in Magician is similarly scrambled. It looks to me like some sort of translation or buffer problem.
-I have no idea if garbage collection or TRIM is working.

Another thing, xoticpc sells custom G752 systems and offers the Samsung 950 Pro in a single and RAID 0 configuration. I've spoken with their tech support but they wont tell me how they are pulling this off.

So theres everything that I know. I can add screen shots if desired. My hope here is to get the ball rolling of hopefully finding a solution to this problem.

aeolisio
11-26-2015, 11:45 PM
Without trim or samsung management you will have a drastically shortened lifespan and will void any warranty for that drive it still doesnt make sense to not use the sm951 that is fully compatible.
Run a crystaldisk and compare to the sm951 numbers when it was released and installed on a g751. It runs even faster now but for an apples to apples comparison.

hosedup
11-27-2015, 06:46 PM
I completely agree concerning the TRIM and samsung management. I am most likely going to order the AHCI SM951 and return the 950 pro. If you are interested, here are the benchmark I get from samsung magician:

navis995
11-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Well my boot time using Evo 840 250GB is 7s and shutdown somwhere the same so the difference is really not here.
The only difference you'll see between these is in writing/reading and even there it won't be that much of a difference that would have been worth the price.

jaydee79
11-28-2015, 08:54 PM
IM having the same issue with my M2 Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive on a G752VL, bios 208 i believe.

I was only able to get windows onto the drive by using Samsung's Migration tool but although it is faster, I do not believe it is using Samsungs NVMe.

The magician show actually two copies of the drive that I clones and NOT the Samsung drive, it will show the weird Samsung model and stuff id I disconnect the S\ATA drive.

I figured the drive does not show as a solid state drive in device manager so something is wacked up in the partitions etc I think. I also do not see the Samsung NVMe COntroller in device manager and the drover will not install.

I tried to load windows again on the drove but the drove is not listed and I do not see any options in the BIOS to configure the drive as NVMe.
The drive properties in the bios are correct under Intel Rapid Storage Technology listing it as NVMe and PCIe. Given that it seems to be under the IRRST, makes it sound like its being treated as AHCI maybe?

As of now the computer is faster but I do not believe the bench marks im showing are accurate as they are barely faster than the 5400 spindle drive.

I would email support but Ive been waiting almost a week for my last response from them and there is no actual hardware compatibility list that i can find from ASUS to say if I made the right choice.

ASUS, we have spent a lot of money on our hardware and we deserve support for what are now industry standard drives. Even if there was a firmware update for the drive, i couldn't do it.

HughW
12-02-2015, 08:25 PM
My company just bought two Dell 7040 computers and we added the 950 Pro M.2 SSD and both are displaying the same problem. After installing Windows 10 x64 using the following Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) RAID Driver 14.6.0.1029 Date: 08/26/2015 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver ,Samsung Magician 4.9 is reporting "aSsmnu gSS D59 0RP O15G2 B (0.00 GB)" and the Samsung NVMe Driver Installer 1.0 says it can't find a drive. I just wanted to add this information to the thread even though I don't have an ASUS motherboard.

Slavisha
12-02-2015, 09:46 PM
I had same issue and i got it working with my Samsung 950. Here are the steps:
1. Create the bootabe USB dongle with Windows 10 using Rufus with GPT
2. Put the additional Intel/ACHI drivers in to the support folder on the created USB. These drivers will need to be loaded manually later during the installation.(Make sure you unzip the file before you place it on USB. The link for download is below.
http://www.filedropper.com/f6flpy-x64

2. Install Samsung 950 HDD in to the m.2 ( I also took my primary HDD out that had windows 10 installed on it already.)
3. Run the computer and boot from the USB.
4. Once you go through first few screens choosing the fresh install and get to the dialog where it your drive is not recognized, select browse, and drill down to the support folder where you left the drivers. Once you chose the driver and it took about 2 min to load it and myou should be able to see your Samsung HDD there.

Now theres another solution that also worked.
On Samsung site you can download Samsung cloning tool. It will clone entire HDD where the windows is installed to the Samsung 950 drive including MBR and everything else. This worked but i always prefer clean install so I had to find the way to make first choice to work.

I hope this helps.
I apologize for my language, English is not my native language.

Clintlgm
12-03-2015, 05:37 AM
Yes this technology is very fresh, it probably going to take a while for us to beta test it for Samsung and Asus and you with Dell, what does Dell tech support have to say about it?

scubahalo
12-06-2015, 06:44 AM
2. Put the additional Intel/ACHI drivers in to the support folder on the created USB. These drivers will need to be loaded manually later during the installation.(Make sure you unzip the file before you place it on USB. The link for download is below.

2. Install Samsung 950 HDD in to the m.2 ( I also took my primary HDD out that had windows 10 installed on it already.)
4. Once you go through first few screens choosing the fresh install and get to the dialog where it your drive is not recognized, select browse, and drill down to the support folder where you left the drivers. Once you chose the driver and it took about 2 min to load it and myou should be able to see your Samsung HDD there.

On Samsung site you can download Samsung cloning tool. It will clone entire HDD where the windows is installed to the Samsung 950 drive including MBR and everything else. This worked but i always prefer clean install so I had to find the way to make first choice to work.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, Slavisha! Windows always seemed a bit flaky with the cloning method but with this clean install it's running sweet. Unfortunately, the Samsung drivers still won't install, the NVMe controller is still missing, and Magician doesn't work. We're getting there though!

scubahalo
12-07-2015, 07:19 PM
I found an extracted and compiled (so called pure) version of the latest Samsung NVMe Drivers and tried to use them during Windows installation but no love. I tried a few others too but Windows will only load the IRST drivers. Here's a link if anybody wants to give it a whirl (they're under section G at the bottom of the spoiler box):

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html

blastashes
12-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Currently, after custom ordering my G752VT from XoticPC and choosing to upgrade to the 256GB 950 Pro

I have had no issues to this date booting or running the computer in any scenario.

I would imagine any issues with making the drive compatible or installing it were handles by people working for XoticPC

which is a good thing for me because i know nothing about messing with the bios :).

But for sure I can say at least in my experience, I am having 0 compatability issues and all is well.

StanDiego
12-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Is there any information that you can share about your configuration; details or screenshots from the applicable BIOS and Device Manager pages, for example. Is an NVME driver loaded in Device Manager? How is the device displayed in the BIOS? How is it displayed in Disk Manager?

Currently, after custom ordering my G752VT from XoticPC and choosing to upgrade to the 256GB 950 Pro

I have had no issues to this date booting or running the computer in any scenario.

I would imagine any issues with making the drive compatible or installing it were handles by people working for XoticPC

which is a good thing for me because i know nothing about messing with the bios :).

But for sure I can say at least in my experience, I am having 0 compatability issues and all is well.

NeoBeum
12-09-2015, 05:50 PM
G54019I've got a 751 and I've just finished making my own image of windows 10 and start the install.
I noticed that the nvme driver will load alongside Microsoft default, I forced an install to see what would happen and it took out my usb bus.
Samsung's driver won't recognise ssd, but it gets loaded as a scsi drive and a nvme controller is installed in device manager

mind the typos, im using my phone because the other laptop has all the ports taken and the only camera working right now is on my phone

Dr4g0n36
12-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Someone here did a fresh install? If yes, how you manage to have proper sonic studio installed? if not, could send me via file transfer the realtek installer included in eSupport folder?

NeoBeum
12-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Is there any information that you can share about your configuration; details or screenshots from the applicable BIOS and Device Manager pages, for example. Is an NVME driver loaded in Device Manager? How is the device displayed in the BIOS? How is it displayed in Disk Manager?

In my custom installer, I packaged the Samsung driver, and the Intel RST, and the Chipset.
I'll let you guys know how it goes - the windows build is pro 1511

NeoBeum
12-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Yep! I think I'm up and running

I took a video but I have no where to upload

https://vid.me/uYpX

cl-Albert
12-09-2015, 07:43 PM
I've got a 751 and I've just finished making my own image of windows 10 and start the install.

Sounds like you have the G751 model instead of the G752 model though?

scubahalo
12-11-2015, 11:37 PM

I would like to see this too. I'm curious if Xotic or Gentech have really got this to work properly or if they're just using the IRST drivers like everybody else.

hosedup
12-12-2015, 01:32 PM
NeoBeum and everyone else that is successfully running a 950 in a G752,
Can you guys install Samaung Magician and see if it works? Im curious if you get the same scrambled model, serial and description like I got earlier in this thread?

scubahalo
12-12-2015, 10:49 PM
NeoBeum and everyone else that is successfully running a 950 in a G752,
Can you guys install Samaung Magician and see if it works? Im curious if you get the same scrambled model, serial and description like I got earlier in this thread?

I think NeoBeum is on a G751. Anyway, I've done a clean install directly to the 950 Pro (no cloning) using the IRST drivers and Magician gives me the exact same thing you got. I've also tried using a set of compiled Samsung NVMe drivers (I posted the link to them on the first page) but they don't work either. Unless Xotic and Gentech have figured out a way to do this properly and someone spills the beans we'll just have to wait for a new BIOS. I'm actually considering returning my G752VL but I got it for only $1298 and I doubt I'll find a price like that again anytime soon. I have until Jan. 31 to send it back so I'll wait until then and see what happens.

hosedup
12-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks scubahalo. Im hoping for a new bios too.

scubahalo
12-13-2015, 03:32 AM
There's another thread about this topic over on Notebook Review for anyone who's interested:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g752.780712/page-20

Another person on that site (Hambone07si) has had the patience and wherewithal to get Asus support to finally pay attention to this issue and the info has been passed on to the Asus BIOS team. Let's hope this gets resolved soon.

StanDiego
12-13-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks to (Hambone07si. I hope we get a solution soon.

There's another thread about this topic over on Notebook Review for anyone who's interested:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-g752.780712/page-20

Another person on that site (Hambone07si) has had the patience and wherewithal to get Asus support to finally pay attention to this issue and the info has been passed on to the Asus BIOS team. Let's hope this gets resolved soon.

jaydee79
12-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Its really sad that I have emailed the support and even wrote an official complaint about the "Bios seeming stuck in Raid" and all I get is "That drive has not been tested" kind of responses.

I tried to explain that there bios was whacked up and that they should go check THEIR OWN forums for evidence of people having problems. I don't believe the drive compatibility is the problem, its the bios.

My bios on the G752VL is 208 and I only have Raid as an option, even for the sata spindle drive inside. I have until January 15th 2016 to return it to Best Buy so the clock is ticking. I want the laptop and no drama.

jaydee79
12-14-2015, 06:45 PM
I just realized that my complaint to Asus has not even been responded to since December 1st... Customer service? VIP.Asus.com? I doubt it has even been read.

scubahalo
12-14-2015, 08:34 PM
I just realized that my complaint to Asus has not even been responded to since December 1st... Customer service? VIP.Asus.com? I doubt it has even been read.

Yeah, I get the impression that Hambone07si spent a LOT of his time on the phone on multiple occasions to get as far as he did. Let's hope they're not just blowing smoke up his (and our) asses.

mbuccarello
12-20-2015, 06:29 PM
Hi guys, I have the same problem also a strange instability of my sk video... sometimes I've got blue screen with a fresh win 10 installation...

Also I tryed the win 10 raid 0 with 2 950pro m2 ssd but the performance aren't good than I thought....

Anyone have a good guide to reinstall win10 without the cd and key and put the nvme driver inside it?

Thansk!

Clintlgm
12-20-2015, 08:17 PM
MS windows 10 Media Creator (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), make sure you get the 64 bit version you can create a bootable UEFI USB or download an ISO and create your own UEFI Bootable USB Media. Correct me If I'm wrong but I think presently M.2 NVMe SSD are running in RAID mode and using IRST drivers?
Your Mother board is already registered with the MS Activation Servers so you won't need a Key to install.

mbuccarello
12-20-2015, 10:33 PM
MS windows 10 Media Creator (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10), make sure you get the 64 bit version you can create a bootable UEFI USB or download an ISO and create your own UEFI Bootable USB Media. Correct me If I'm wrong but I think presently M.2 NVMe SSD are running in RAID mode and using IRST drivers?
Your Mother board is already registered with the MS Activation Servers so you won't need a Key to install.

Please could you explain better what is IRST drivers?

Actualy I simply create two dynamic volume and then create the software raid... so I thing is the IRST driver that you mean?

Corporal
12-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Intel Rapid Storage Driver makes the software raid faster. I'm using two 1 TB hdd's in RAID 0, performance differences were as follows:
(Sequential Write)
with IRSD : 240 - 280 Megabyte/s
without IRSD : 140 - 170 Megabyte/s

single HDD : 120 - 140

Clintlgm
12-20-2015, 11:05 PM
IRST (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22036/IRST-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-) you would use the ones from the Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)

I have no knowledge of software RAID Set ups can't help you with that!

NeoBeum
12-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Sounds like you have the G751 model instead of the G752 model though?

Yeah my bad on that last week... probably too excited to pull apart my laptop...

IRST (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22036/IRST-Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-) you would use the ones from the Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)

I have no knowledge of software RAID Set ups can't help you with that!

If the RST is 14.6, it wasn't reading the Samsung drives

Julskey
12-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Well my boot time using Evo 840 250GB is 7s and shutdown somwhere the same so the difference is really not here.
The only difference you'll see between these is in writing/reading and even there it won't be that much of a difference that would have been worth the price.

Hi, is this time from power button to desktop? My Samsung 850 EVO sata3 250gb gets about 17s from power button to desktop using G752 on W10.

ukiyapaul
12-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Hi, Just got my Asus G752VT laptop and wanted to use its 2x pcie m.2 slots. I want to buy the Samsung 950 Pro but I read that its either not compatible or not yet compatible. I can wait if its just a BIOS update that is needed and it will be compatible but if its not going to be supported at all I would like to know before I buy it. Thanks in advance for those that could give me information about it.

scubahalo
12-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Hi, Just got my Asus G752VT laptop and wanted to use its 2x pcie m.2 slots. I want to buy the Samsung 950 Pro but I read that its either not compatible or not yet compatible. I can wait if its just a BIOS update that is needed and it will be compatible but if its not going to be supported at all I would like to know before I buy it. Thanks in advance for those that could give me information about it.

At this point in time the 950 Pro will only function using the IRST drivers (which hobbles it). Proper function with the Samsung drivers will only happen if we get a new BIOS. Your guess is as good as mine when that will be.

ukiyapaul
12-25-2015, 08:00 AM
At this point in time the 950 Pro will only function using the IRST drivers (which hobbles it). Proper function with the Samsung drivers will only happen if we get a new BIOS. Your guess is as good as mine when that will be.

thanks for the info, I just installed my Samsung 850 Pro in my laptop and will just buy the Samsung 950 Pro 256GB for now until its officially supported.

imkobi
12-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Hello, I'm next who wrote an official complaint to ASUS. For now, I just got reply from "Technical Support Engineer L1" with infomation that, he forward complaint to head quarter. (Polish distribution)
I would like to use 950 PRO as bootable drive, not a storage either backup.

dbodyguru
12-29-2015, 04:16 AM
I've installed a working SAMSUNG 950 512 GB into my G752VY and it's beautiful. I also have a 850 EVO and the default 951 NVMe 128 GB installed as well. Read my report: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81512-G752VY-Samsung-950-PRO-SSD-NVMe-Working-Here-s-How-I-Did-It

Also see my comparisons of the 951 128 GIG default NVMe vs the Samsung 950 PRO I installed: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81605-MY-G752VY-SSD-BENCHMARKS-COMPARED-Samsung-950-NVMe-vs-951-NVMe-vs-850-EVO-READ

Hope that helps.

Stooo
12-29-2015, 05:23 AM
Another thing, xoticpc sells custom G752 systems and offers the Samsung 950 Pro in a single and RAID 0 configuration. I've spoken with their tech support but they wont tell me how they are pulling this off.

I got mine from Xotic PC with no drives at all and picked up two 256GB 950 Pros. I asked how they were able to get Raid working on that laptop since the bios
had it locked out and was told to go in to the Bios and do it from there (although it is locked out). Received a couple of emails back and forth but I do not think that
they know how to get Raid working since I have searched and not found any results with my model G752VY-RH71 with Bios enabled Raid.

I also pointed out that Gentech has that model listed as not supporting Raid on their site.

In the end I was told to set it up from within Windows.

FWIW I dont think any reseller or consumer has Raid working yet.

Gps3dx
12-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Intel Rapid Storage Driver makes the software raid faster. I'm using two 1 TB hdd's in RAID 0, performance differences were as follows:
(Sequential Write)
with IRSD : 240 - 280 Megabyte/s
without IRSD : 140 - 170 Megabyte/s

single HDD : 120 - 140

I've download BIOS 206 for the G752VY and 205 for G752VT, and check using UBU tool (http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html) and saw that the RAID EFI rom is v14.6.0.2285 IN BOTH CASES.
According to Win-RAID.com forum - in order to get the best performance and stability from the RAID Controller Driver - one should install Intel RST driver ( from v11+ its called IRSTe driver ) THAT HAS THE SAME DRIVER BRANCH VERSION AS IT INTERNAL EFI ROM VERSION, and I quote:
"RAID users will get the best results, if the RAID driver version and the RAID Controller "Firmware" match to each other, that means belong to the same development branch (example: RST v11.2.x.xxxx or RST(e) v12.6.x.xxxx)."( Source: Win-RAID.COM ) (http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html).
Conclusion - for the G752VY/T (Bios version 206 / 205 accordingly ) look for driver v14.6.x.xxxx FROM HERE (http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html)

Now... NVMe is something ELSE, as it is a STORAGE CONTROLLER that can be used INSTEAD OF AHCI in a RAID configuration.
let me be clear - USING RAID you can choose to work with EITHER AHCI OR NMVe !

So... as I found out - MS default/internal NVMe driver is CRAP... and you should install either INTEL NVMe controller driver OR Samsung's if they made the ssd.

I know from my little reading from the last few days around the new, and especially from "win-raid.com", that default/internal MS windows NVMe driver is CRAP.... and that for performance increase you should install the driver from your NVMe Controller manufacturer ( I guess it is Intel in your case, as the G752 runs the CM236 chipset ) - just to be clear - This "Controller Driver" sits in the Device Manager, under "Storage Controller" and it is NOT THE RAID Controller (i.e not IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller)!

Samsung has it own "Controller Driver" (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_NVMe_Driver_Installation_Guide.pdf), one can get it from here (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html).
Benchmark result differs from using a controller driver differs from different manufacturer and version.

Otot
12-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Hello everybody!

There is a new BIOS fot the G752VY out (208) which update IRST
Hopefully it fixes some issues :)
http://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/833/0/3/6S3ctFvXVIePKB4o/45/

Gps3dx
12-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Hello everybody!

There is a new BIOS fot the G752VY out (208) which update IRST
Hopefully it fixes some issues :)
http://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/833/0/3/6S3ctFvXVIePKB4o/45/

sorry to ruin your happiness there...
but I've ran this new bios using UBU tool (http://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html), and the EFI IRST RAID component in BIOS v208 IS THE SAME AS BIOS version 205 (v14.6.0.2285)
so... what we can understand from ASUS official "notes" under this update - is that we can NOT understand what they've update ( it is beyond my skills - and truthfully - I got no incentive )
thus, My recommendation for the G752 owners stay the same: install IRSTe driver from Intel version 14.6.x.xxxxx.

scubahalo
12-30-2015, 11:11 PM
sorry to ruin your happiness there...

They may have made some other changes to the BIOS and just not listed them. Asus has done that in the past. Until someone with a VY flashes it and verifies yea or nay I'll keep my fingers crossed. And BTW people, you can do a clean Windows install directly to the 950 Pro without doing the silly cloning exercise. Just put the drivers on a flash drive and tell Windows to install them during setup. Unfortunately, it only works with the IRST drivers and NOT the Samsung drivers.

Stooo
12-31-2015, 12:40 AM
Made no difference for me with G752VY-RH71. RAID still locked in bios. I have two 950 Pro installed and a 1 TB 850 Pro. Maybe will try to reinstall later tonight.

scubahalo
12-31-2015, 02:43 AM
Made no difference for me with G752VY-RH71. RAID still locked in bios. I have two 950 Pro installed and a 1 TB 850 Pro. Maybe will try to reinstall later tonight.

Will the Samsung NVMe Controller Drivers install? How about Samsung Magician - do the 950's show up properly?

Stooo
12-31-2015, 04:08 AM
Negative on both. I am going to do an image and start from scratch.

imkobi
12-31-2015, 10:54 PM
They may have made some other changes to the BIOS and just not listed them. Asus has done that in the past. Until someone with a VY flashes it and verifies yea or nay I'll keep my fingers crossed. And BTW people, you can do a clean Windows install directly to the 950 Pro without doing the silly cloning exercise. Just put the drivers on a flash drive and tell Windows to install them during setup. Unfortunately, it only works with the IRST drivers and NOT the Samsung drivers.

Done, as made suggestion scubahalo, Today I found a time for it.
G752VT + SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 950 PRO
USB with WIN 10 + drivers 64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI/RAID Drivers v14.8.0.1042 WHQL (http://www.smartredirect.de/redir/clickGate.php?u=CHoN7d6s&m=1&p=3r6MDbeCf4&t=6QdegMhg&st=&s=&splash=0&abp=1&url=http%3A%2F%2F1drv.ms%2F21oiOIO&r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.win-raid.com%2Ft2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe-Drivers-newest-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html)
Windows 10 for now work (18 hours), as well as Steam with Dead Island (something for a tests), but what will be for a couple days or weeks?
Still official SAMSUNG drivers cannot be installed due to not recognized "device" by system.
In CrystalDiskInfo6_6_1 also SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 950 PRO is not visible. (I have hope it is temporary issue)

winyl
01-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Seems like faulty nvme driver in the bios. I have read maybe in that thread, Asus ans Samsung engineers talked to each other and thay blaimed one another for faulty driver and faulty nvme controller.
Really nice, I would like to see how this plays out 'cause Samsung 950 pro works just fine with asus mobos and macs. :)

winyl
01-03-2016, 07:36 AM
For Samsung 950 PRO to work properly you need to have Intel IRST at least 14.6 or greater also for RAID setup. 950 PRO wan't be picked up by IRST version lesser than 14.6.
Make sure you have at least IRST 14.6 or greater. THIS IS A MUST.

Also I see G752 has IRST v. 14.6.0.2285 in the BIOS. Write to ASUS BIOS team to update this to the lastest verion 14.8.
As I suspect 14.6.02285 might have problems detecting 950 pro. Or you can update yourself with UBU.
Regards

dbodyguru
01-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Posted this on another thread, but it was in answer to this post, so I also posted it here as well....

I have the G752VY.

I have the 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe SSD installed in one m2 slot and the default Samsung 951 128 GB NVMe in the other m2 slot. I have the 850 EVO SATA III 2.5 drive in the HDD slot (replacing it).

The 950 PRO works and I'm booting windows off of it (see my other guide posts how I did it if you guys are curious) and the speeds I am getting, according to some benchmarking, seem about right. Device Manager recognizes the 950 PRO and so on.

But I can't install the official samsung NVME controller drivers. I try to install and I get an error message saying the 950 NVMe device is not detected. Samsung Partition Magic software also does not recognize the 950 PRO, and puts it as the 850 EVO instead (it shows TWO 850 EVO drives instead of the 850 EVO and the 950 PRO drive. I know it is showing the 950 PRO as the second 850 EVO drive since doing speed tests with partition wizard on that drive letter show NVMe speeds, NOT SATA III speeds).

I've also installed the intel controller drivers which made NO difference to the speed benchmarks (vs using the default MS driver) or the ability to install samsung official nvme controller drivers. I've also just updated to that new BIOS you guys linked to. This did NOT fix it -- I stil can't install the official drivers and the speed benchmark is about the same as it was before the bios update or the intel driver update.

So yea, that's the state of things -- Asus still needs to fix the bios to support the 950 PRO officially, or at least fix the issue with the official samsung drivers NOT installing which means you can't use Partition Wizard.

Here's the speed benchmark of the 950 PRO. As you see, it's about what it should be for the drive yes? So I don't know if the speeds should be faster. But maybe not having the official drivers working means the drive will burn out faster or something.

The drive is fast, very fast (see my comparision post where I put it up against the 951 NVMe and the 850 EVO pro). But yea.

Hope that helps and I hope asus fixes this.

imkobi
01-03-2016, 10:39 PM
@dbodyguru, Thanks I have already read your post about G752V + NVMe SSD 950 PRO few times.
I tried with IRST 14.6 and 14.8 and same results.
But only 1 point is different.
My Samsung NVMe SSD 950 PRO was visible in official Samsung Migration tool and even made clone, but the clone was with an error and after booting from SSD my screen flickered.
I tried to uninstall a lot of thinks which could influence on displaying the screen and made a lot o clone and try to boot from SSD.
Finally I made clean instalation directly on SSD and works.
CrystalDiskInfo6_6_1 don't see SAMSUNG NVMe SSD 950 PRO, but CrystalDiskMark5_1_0 gave below results

We need to wait for ASUS and SAMSUNG.

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Did you end up with the same results with not being able to use Samsung Magician for Trim and no NVMe drivers?

I have a strange feeling its going to be awhile before ASUS and Samsung stop playing the finger pointing games and work out a solution. I just find it strange that the SM951 can achieve pretty much the same performance and the software works.

dbodyguru
01-04-2016, 02:03 AM
I had updated my INTEL IRST from the default 14.6 that comes with the drive to the newest 14.8. Then I updated the BIOS on the G752VY to the newest one that came out.

The computer worked no problem. BUT I found when the computer went into sleep mode, or I closed the lid -- the screen would stay blank and nothing would happen. Doing a reset or full turn off and turn on would show a blank screen for 1 minutes before it would show the ROG logo on the screen and start the boot process.

I was about to point the finger at the new BIOS causing this, but then did a system restore to a point before I installed the new INTEL IRST rapid driver controllers for the ssd. And that fixed the boot up problem.

SO, a big warning to people who want to upgrade the storage controller from the '****ty' MS ones to the Intel ones -- be very careful. Perhaps for the NEW bios and or some combination of SSD's (like two NVMe SSD's in the slots), you could have some conflict or boot problems -- I did.

Doing a restore to before the point where I installed the intel drivers fixed the problem completely and there is no delayed boot issue now.

I'd wait for the official Samsung NVMe controller drivers to be sorted out and just avoide the Intel ones for now. Despite what people are saying, the MS ones still give NVMe-like speeds (for me, I saw no difference in the benchmark -- maybe my system was not reading the drivers right or something (though it said they were working fine in device manager).

Anyways, a warning.

Note for some people, Samsung Migration tool had no problem detecting the actual Samsung 950 PRO when cloning from the 951 to 950 when I first set up the 950 PRO. It showed the 950 pro drive and let me select it as the target. It's the Samsung Partition Magic software that does NOT detect the 950 PRO from the selection list and instead shows it as the 850 EVO. Running tests on this incorrect label from within samsung partition magic show the read and write speeds of the NVMe, not the SATA III, so the '850 EVO' is really the 950 PRO in Samsung Partion Wizard, but you can't run any of the proper RAPID SSD mode / SSD optimization stuff on it because of this, so i just unistalled partition magic till the driver issue works.

But all this aside, 950 PRO works fast on MS drivers. I'll be delighted when the real samsung drivers work though, but in the meantime, you are not really hurting for speeds. It's still like 3-4 times faster than the Samsung 850 EVO reads and writes.

ukiyapaul
01-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Im now using a 256GB Samsung 950 Pro, I just used Samsung data migration software to copy my entire Samsung 850 Pro data then replaced it with the 1TB HGST drive that came with my laptop and almost everything is good. Still cant be detected by Samsung Magician and hope soon a fix for it will be available as I want my Samsung 950 Pro to last as long as possible. Average speed of 2106MB for read and 902MB for write.

Clintlgm
01-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Trim and garbage collection are handled by windows by default in window 8 8.1 and 10, The garbage collecton is in the firmware of the SSD, Samsung Magician is not really needed for any routine maintenance operations. Rapid mode is a farce and can cause data loss all it does is cache your data in RAM any hiccup with your system and that data is lost.

JustinThyme
01-05-2016, 05:14 AM
My G752Y-DH72 will arrive tomorrow. I went ahead and ordered a 512GB 950 pro to go with it, that will be here Thursday. I did some reading through the manual for the magician software and a great deal of what is being posted here is covered in the manual. Very first thing it says right at the bottom of which drives are supported is that not all functions are available on all drives. I'm not going to bullet every point as everyone can read the manual but I'll just say that the identification failure with IRST drivers later then 12.**** will cause the drive ID to fail as one point and that TRIM is a function of the OS in Win8 and later. Also reading up on the Samsung site over provisioning in not mandated and not needed unless you fill your drive to capacity. I'm assuming the NVMe drives that come with the machines do not include Samsung Magician as they are considered OEM drives. Im sure others know it already and I'll know for sure tomorrow. My initial worries were warranty issues but after reading their literature and warranty none of the things notes here are a concern. The Magician program was written for sata SSDs. The literature specifically states some of the features that will not work with the NVMe drives like OS optimization and rapid mode for example. Maybe they will update it eventually but in the mean time time the fact that a great deal of that software will not work is of no concern to me and the mention the OP partition is not mandated and TRIM is a function of the OS puts my mind at ease in the longevity department as I never run any drive near capacity, I consider 80% too full.

In the mean time I'm going to mess around with the stock 256GB NVMe drive tomorrow when it comes in and bench that as I've not seen and info on that particular size. I'll also identify exactly which drive it is and how it's configured out of the box. I'll dive into the 950 pro when it comes in and as usual put the original back in the box and store it for future use. If I'm happy with the 512GB 950 pro I'll order up another for the other slot.

imkobi
01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
"I just find it strange that the SM951 can achieve pretty much the same performance and the software works."
Reason for Samsung 950 Pro instead of 951 Samsung 950 Pro vs Samsung SM951 Thermal Comparison. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GlInzvHr8.)
Not only performance have matter ;)

Otot
01-06-2016, 08:11 PM
Hello again!

I'm not sure but I would say there is a new driver for the 950 Pro out (Version 1.1) or maybe even longer.
Before it was 1.0 If I'm not mistaken.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html
Has anyone tested it out?

Greetings :)

Clintlgm
01-06-2016, 08:43 PM
I think its more that thermal, If I remember right the 951 reads pretty fast but write very slowly compared with the 950 Pro

imkobi
01-06-2016, 11:05 PM
Thanks for info. Same pop up

JustinThyme
01-07-2016, 12:25 AM
"I just find it strange that the SM951 can achieve pretty much the same performance and the software works."
Reason for Samsung 950 Pro instead of 951 Samsung 950 Pro vs Samsung SM951 Thermal Comparison. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3GlInzvHr8.)
Not only performance have matter ;)

The software doesn't work on the SM951 NVMe either, only the early AHCI version and only Samsung magician. The 951 in the video is the NVMe.
Im getting benchmarks similar to the platforms where the Samsung drivers work. Any machine, regardless of manufacturer, is not shipping with Samsung drivers and Samsung Magician. Only OEM drivers, mostly windows and intel chipset drivers. The Samsung drivers and software is marketed for the consumer market.

Windows NVMe and Intel Chipset drivers only (Not IRST)

Win 10 Pro

Clintlgm
01-07-2016, 03:37 PM
So Justin is this the 950 Pro or the 951?, I'm seeing on HDE they are offering both the 950 pro and 951. I remember in an earlier post someone benchmarked them both or maybe it was just the 951 his results were that the 951 reads fast but writes around only 500 mbs?

JustinThyme
01-07-2016, 09:46 PM
So Justin is this the 950 Pro or the 951?, I'm seeing on HDE they are offering both the 950 pro and 951. I remember in an earlier post someone benchmarked them both or maybe it was just the 951 his results were that the 951 reads fast but writes around only 500 mbs?

This is the 950 Pro on stock drivers. My machine came with a 256gb SM951 NVMe version. No fresh install, no IRST drivers. Im not one to worry about the bloatware, CC cleaner uninstall does a nice job at removing what I don't want and its a lot easier than a fresh install and all drivers and updates. Also no Samsung drivers and no Samsung magician.

Also keep in mind there are two versions of the SM951, AHCI and NVMe

Clintlgm
01-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Yes I just goggled around a bit the 951 is older technology and OEM the only warranty is with the vendor. The 950 Pro is Retail and newer technology 5 year warranty. Also it appears that the 951 is rate at only 600 mbs read speed. Are you going to pull the 951 completely or use it for software?

JustinThyme
01-08-2016, 01:31 AM
The 256GB SM951 is resting silently in its coffin. (the 950 pro packaging) and in the OEM box the laptop came in. When I buy a new machine I always take out the original drive after cloning and put it away for safe keeping. Last defense in recovery if needed and should an RMA need arise I can put that drive back in.

The NVMe SM951 actually does quite well.

Here is the bench of the OEM drive while I was waiting for the 950 Pro to show up

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81605-MY-G752VY-SSD-BENCHMARKS-COMPARED-Samsung-950-NVMe-vs-951-NVMe-vs-850-EVO-READ&p=564090&viewfull=1#post564090

golomb13
01-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Yes I just goggled around a bit the 951 is older technology and OEM the only warranty is with the vendor. The 950 Pro is Retail and newer technology 5 year warranty. Also it appears that the 951 is rate at only 600 mbs read speed. Are you going to pull the 951 completely or use it for software?

SM 951 disk marks from my G752:

JustinThyme
01-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Hey Brother, Which SM 951 and which protocol AHCI or NVMe? Looks about par for the 256GB ASUS stock model. Close to what I got anyhow.

golomb13
01-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Hey Brother, Which SM 951 and which protocol AHCI or NVMe? Looks about par for the 256GB ASUS stock model. Close to what I got anyhow.
Hello,

This is MZVPV256HDGL - NVM protocol.

M2 in G752 works only with NVM from what asus support told me.

JustinThyme
01-08-2016, 10:03 PM
While I haven't tried it personally the AHCI should work. From what I understand the limitation is you cant use the M2 SATA III protocol devices.

karl6774
01-09-2016, 12:59 PM
This is the 950 Pro on stock drivers. My machine came with a 256gb SM951 NVMe version. No fresh install, no IRST drivers. Im not one to worry about the bloatware, CC cleaner uninstall does a nice job at removing what I don't want and its a lot easier than a fresh install and all drivers and updates. Also no Samsung drivers and no Samsung magician.

Also keep in mind there are two versions of the SM951, AHCI and NVMe

Hello,
I own a ROG G752vy - t7003t with 2 Samsung nvme 256 I would replace them with samsung 950 pro will work or I'll find the problem ?
Thank you very much
sorry for my english

kmonell
01-10-2016, 03:40 AM
This information is from TomsHardware.com

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-ssd,4313-2.html

Samsung 950 Pro SSD Review
By Chris RamseyerOCTOBER 22, 2015 7:00 AM

In RAID, the 950 Pros appear as an Intel software array. Samsung's driver does not recognize them, preventing you from installing it. The same thing happens to Intel's SSD 750s in RAID. Until Samsung adjusts its software to support RAID arrays, you'll have to use Microsoft's NVMe driver built into Windows 10, 8.x and available as a download for Windows 7. Per-drive performance drops, unfortunately, which will become obvious in certain workloads when we compare a single 950 Pro to two in RAID 0. Microsoft's implementation is more conservative, serving as a catch-all to support all revisions of NVMe. It's good enough to get your system up and running, basically.

JustinThyme
01-10-2016, 05:11 AM
Hello,
I own a ROG G752vy - t7003t with 2 Samsung nvme 256 I would replace them with samsung 950 pro will work or I'll find the problem ?
Thank you very much
sorry for my english

Hello Brother and welcome to the ROG forums. No worries about english, so long as we can understand one another.
A single 950 pro will work just fine. You can actually keep one of you 256GB drives in if you like. One of them will have the OS installed and the other will be just for data. Im a bit surpised to find out that the 512 GB solution was achieved with 2x 256GB drives instead of a single 512GB.

Are your drives running as two single drives now or in a software raid configuration?

Jlieu
01-10-2016, 08:47 AM

I hope this helps.

Anyone tested the first method? does it work on latest windows 10 1151? I got mine blue screen during drivers load. But im using this method on samsung 951 windows 10 clean install.

karl6774
01-10-2016, 09:40 AM
Hello Brother and welcome to the ROG forums. No worries about english, so long as we can understand one another.
A single 950 pro will work just fine. You can actually keep one of you 256GB drives in if you like. One of them will have the OS installed and the other will be just for data. Im a bit surpised to find out that the 512 GB solution was achieved with 2x 256GB drives instead of a single 512GB.

Are your drives running as two single drives now or in a software raid configuration?

hi,
pc I arrived with 2 ssd 256 not raid,raid not work in bios, and a hdd 1tb ilm know It was installed in only ssd m.2 cmq I managed to install on a second empty ssd know win 10
tnx

Jlieu
01-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Help, My G752VY windows 10 just corrupted on default 951 SSD. How to clean install a windows on 951 ?

Clintlgm
01-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Have you tried a F9 recovery? that should put you back where you were when you first opened up your new notebook.
If that fails you could try window recovery see this tutorial (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html?filter[1]=Backup Restore)

Once you get recovered create hard drive/SSD Image on external media I recommend Macrium Reflect (http://www.macrium.com/pages/windows10.aspx)for this its free. Restoring a Image to a 256 GB SSD takes about 5 minutes and works every time. Puts you back to the exact point that you created the image. Other imaging software will work most of the time just insure that a booting UEFI can be restored with it 100% everytime.

JustinThyme
01-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Help, My G752VY windows 10 just corrupted on default 951 SSD. How to clean install a windows on 951 ?

This is precisely why I always replace the stock drive by cloning it to a replacement drive then putting it away for a rainy day.

Stooo
01-10-2016, 05:50 PM

If you can not do the recovery, you can download an ISO of windows 10 and do a USB installation. The Key for Windows is embedded in the Bios.

karl6774
01-10-2016, 06:58 PM
hi,
but how is it that the computer takes more than a minute to light up ?

very tnx: o

Clintlgm
01-10-2016, 08:46 PM
What computer? What OS, What SSD or Hard Drive, you just jumped into a thread on something else entirely a minute is not all that long for a Spinner hard drive

Jlieu
01-11-2016, 12:46 AM
I manage to clean install now, by F6 IRST drivers during windows setup, i faced blue screen before, to solve this, secure boot must be enabled with stock key installed. Then only can F6 IRST controller during setup.

I've purchased windows 10 Pro anyway. Clean install always the best way to get stable windows.

karl6774
01-11-2016, 05:18 AM
What computer? What OS, What SSD or Hard Drive, you just jumped into a thread on something else entirely a minute is not all that long for a Spinner hard drive

hi,
notebook Asus ROG G752VY-T7003T s.o Win 10 Home 2x ssd nvmw Samsung MZVPV256 1x hdd 1tb s.o. installed SSD nvmw Samsung MZVPV256 NON raid BIOS 208
tnx

Clintlgm
01-11-2016, 03:45 PM
I would start a new thread for this issue, You must be hanging somewhere assume your OS is on one of the SSD, If its a windows issue you could try
running the following in CMD Prompt Administrator mode
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
SFC /scannow
Also you can try a Refresh to repair your Boot manager (http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html)

If you hanging after log in it would be some software you have that is not starting correctly

JustinThyme
01-12-2016, 04:12 AM
A bit more info to add.

Today my 1TB 850 EVO arrived.
I installed the drive, initialized it and created a volume with Acronis Disk Director. Device manager showed everything correctly and benchmarks were as expected. The Samsung magician that came with it was 4.5 so I opted to download the latest version which took a bit of waiting as I got "Maximum daily download limit reached, try again later. Sorry for any inconvenience" blah blah blah. I was a bit dumbfounded but waited anyhow. After installing the latest version of magician it gave a warning at launch about a communication issue with the drive and the only thing it would do was over provisioning on the 850 EVO only. I went ahead and updated the Intel RST drivers to v14.8.0.1042 WHQL. AFter this the 950 pro is showing up as another 850 evo. The drop down shows the same size. model and serial etc. Its not until you select it that you see the size difference. The software functionality is still limited. It allowed over provisioning on both drives, performance benchmarks on both and OS optimization on the 950 pro. Thats the end of it. No secure erase, no firmware updates, no data security and no rapid mode....on either drive. It says that AHCI mode is deactivated on the 850 EVO although BIOS says differently albeit through the raid controller. It also says N/A on SATA interface'Unable to detect SATA interface details"

The conclusion I've reached is the Samsung software in not fully compatible with the raid controller. Its not just the 950 Pro drive, it applies to the SM951 drives as well and any other drive you may wish to connect to any port.

fixxi.net
01-15-2016, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Regarding the SM951

Which (free) tool to use to clone the original OS install ? Is there a step-by-step guide on doing this ?

Any cautions i.e do I have to update the BIOS / and or Windows 10 on the G752vt ?

JustinThyme
01-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Please go back and read the very first post. Samsung Data migration (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html) tool usually works fine.

You might want to be a bit more descriptive though. What Laptop cloning from what and which SM951 as there is both an AHCI and NVMe versions.

fixxi.net
01-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Please go back and read the very first post. Samsung Data migration (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html) tool usually works fine.

You might want to be a bit more descriptive though. What Laptop cloning from what and which SM951 as there is both an AHCI and NVMe versions.

Hi, thanks for replying.

I will be updating the g752 builtin 128 SSD to the 256 GB SM951 Nvme... I am collecting advice from people who have done it... specifically any warnings or advice. not sure if it is worth opening a new thread on the SM951 ... maybe it is

Clintlgm
01-15-2016, 03:20 PM
Here is a video on how to use Macrium Reflect (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4uRhWwZT0)

JustinThyme
01-15-2016, 03:25 PM
SM951 NVMe is the same as the 950 pro in the aspect of installing etc. The SM951 is the OEM predecessor to the consumer release of the 950 pro.
I upgraded from a 256GB SM 951 to a 512GB 950 pro by simply installing new drive, initializing new drive, using Samsung Data migration tool to clone the drive, removed old drive, put new drive in its place and reboot. Done. No Samsung Magician, No Samsung drivers.....same way the original drive was configured.

fixxi.net
01-18-2016, 11:40 AM
When cloning an original m.2 ( samsung in my case ) to an SM951 or 950 the Secure Boot UEFI bios won't mind it ? Considering it stores keys/hashes related to the original drive ..

fixxi.net
01-20-2016, 04:41 PM
SM951 NVMe is the same as the 950 pro in the aspect of installing etc. The SM951 is the OEM predecessor to the consumer release of the 950 pro.
I upgraded from a 256GB SM 951 to a 512GB 950 pro by simply installing new drive, initializing new drive, using Samsung Data migration tool to clone the drive, removed old drive, put new drive in its place and reboot. Done. No Samsung Magician, No Samsung drivers.....same way the original drive was configured.

So you are saying it works right away ? Have you tried enabling hardware based encryption ?

fixxi.net
01-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Also anyone knows if G752vt supports TPM security ? It is not on its spec sheet ...

JustinThyme
01-20-2016, 05:24 PM
I dont need hardware based encryption so no need to deploy it. Not one that believes in conspiracy theories or have data so senitive that it will cause a threat to national security.

The module does appear to be present so please feel free to deploy it with your TPM protocol and let anyone else who may be interested in turning a gaming rig into one made to block out the Chinese espionage and theft of intellectual property efforts.

fixxi.net
01-20-2016, 07:00 PM
no worries :) thanks for the information. There is special pictures and special knowledge that need to be protected. A guide will be available on my channel in the next 10 months or so. May be contribution based..

JustinThyme
01-20-2016, 10:42 PM
I just use true-crypt. Some reported that it had holes but the reports were never substantiated. Veracrypt picked up the open source where Truecrypt left off, same source code. I think 448 bit encryption is more than plenty and its always on external drives.

beststevie
01-22-2016, 01:36 PM
I cannot leave without comment: NO GANSTER CARES IF U ARE A GOOD GUY OR NOT! He steals your identity and all u own.

TPM causes much Bluescreens with not zertified Software (almost all). To disable it is obliged for everyone, who's not only surfing in the www or writing mails.

winyl
01-23-2016, 05:40 PM
I got my hands on all new G752vy and installed 950 PRO.

Things to consider:

On G752 950PRO is connected thru IRST RAID controller which is made by uefi bios (software raid controller?), that's why you can not install sammys nvme driver and magician propably can't see 950pro thru raid controller. Check your device manager, click on 950Pro nvme > display > by connections :)

UEFI bios uses AMI Aptio NVME driver ver.1.0 and Intel IRST14.8.0.2377 in the 2.08 bios for HDD/SSD transfer and detection, which is totally diffrent from G751,where you have no option for raid supported by uefi bios.

Maybe AMI needs to update their driver :)

And Sammy needs to make magician see 950pro thru Intel IRST raid controller somehow :)

On G752 there will never be option to install sammy nvme driver for 950pro, if the sammy won't make their own nvme aptio module, maybe with a little help help from AMI :)
Well, I don't see that comming any soon, do you?

Here are my results from Crystal Disk Mark x64:
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.0 x64 (C) 2007-2015 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2462.294 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1508.011 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 471.655 MB/s [115150.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 409.908 MB/s [100075.2 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1999.976 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1497.415 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 50.061 MB/s [ 12221.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 158.853 MB/s [ 38782.5 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 44.2% (45.3/102.4 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/01/23 17:46:19

Yeah, the result are fine by me and there is no problem, at least I do not see it with my particular G752vy unit.

fixxi.net
01-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Can you speak english please ? Can the 950 Pro boot from the second NVME port, or it has to be in the first one ? I plan to copy the whole original drive onto the new 950 pro ... and then stick it in the first or second port whichever works..

StanDiego
01-28-2016, 02:05 AM
either port.

fixxi.net
01-28-2016, 06:35 PM
So which software (free preferred ) can i use to clone the original SSD to a new 950 Pro?
The Samsung Data Migration tool seems to want to clone only the C drive while there is two more partitions that i need cloned too... ( the EFI System Partition and the Data Recovery partition ).

Also .. once cloned do I need to assign a new key in UEFI for I'd like to have Secure Boot enabled....

I will go back this thread .. but of anyone knows appreciated. ..

EDIT: Ok I succeeded using EaseUS free .. however the new 950 drive now has unallocated space due to the source being smaller than the destination clone (128 GB to 256 GB in my case ) . And so now in order to extend my new C drive I need to convert the 950 Pro to a dynamic disk in windows . .. I wonder if the 950 pro will be fully happy and speedy while working off an extended windows dynamic disk ...

Clintlgm
01-28-2016, 09:11 PM
I don't think you need to do make it a dynamic disk!! Use partitioning software to expand C:\ into the unused space. If your recovery partition is in the way use Mini Tool partition Wizard Free (http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html)to move that partition to the left of C:\ then expand C:\ into the unused space.

fixxi.net
01-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Looks like EaseUS can expand at cloning time. Also seems like it needs Secure Boot disabled during cloning... thank you very much. Can be enabled later but not during cloning.

StanDiego
01-29-2016, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't do that. Either use a clone app that will adjust the partition for you automatically or use a disk partition app to adjust the partition size. You can google various apps available to do that. I used Paragon OS to SSD s/w. Others have successfully used Samsung Migration Wizard but not sure if that will adjust the partition. It does create all of the applicable partitions, not just the C drive.
r/Stan

EDIT: Ok I succeeded using EaseUS free .. however the new 950 drive now has unallocated space due to the source being smaller than the destination clone (128 GB to 256 GB in my case ) . And so now in order to extend my new C drive I need to convert the 950 Pro to a dynamic disk in windows . .. I wonder if the 950 pro will be fully happy and speedy while working off an extended windows dynamic disk ...

StanDiego
01-29-2016, 01:34 AM
You milk us for assistance which we gladly provide and then you're going to use it to make a contribution based channel? What a swell guy! Sign me up! NOT!!!

no worries :) thanks for the information. There is special pictures and special knowledge that need to be protected. A guide will be available on my channel in the next 10 months or so. May be contribution based..

JustinThyme
01-29-2016, 01:37 AM
Samsung data migration clones it over and automatically re sizes the partition if that's what you want. Windows Disk manager is about as useless as a rudder on a ducks backside. With Acronis you can just resize the partition to use the unallocated space or any part of it, how you see fir without changing anything. Then reboot, it does its thing on the way back up as scandisk would then all is golden.

If you haven't gone too far with adding stuff yet I would try Samsung data migration tool.

Sprayingmango
02-06-2016, 01:10 AM
Does anyone know if Asus is planning to add AHCI to the bios for the G752VY models? In my G752VT that I returned they added it in the latest BIOS. No such luck with this VY....nothing but RAID as an option.

JustinThyme
02-06-2016, 01:43 AM
We are all waiting patiently on a new VY Bios. All the others have been through multiple revisions. The VY only got one update to 208 that is flakey as hell. Works OK for some so long as you leave it stock and dont change anything. Worked fine for me until I changed memory then it crapped like a kid in a chocolate ex lax factory. Keep in mind the new VT BIOS just hit the masses a very short time ago. I would think that the VY is overdue. Keep in mind these are still new to the market with the VY being the last released.

jaydee79
02-06-2016, 02:34 AM
Managed to get the G752VL working correctly with the 216 bios. Turn off the RAID mode in SATA Mode and change it to ACHI. I now can see the drive correctly in Samsung Magician and the Samsung NVMe driver installs correctly. No need for the f6 floppy driver

steve888
02-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Managed to get the G752VL working correctly with the 216 bios. Turn off the RAID mode in SATA Mode and change it to ACHI. I now can see the drive correctly in Samsung Magician and the Samsung NVMe driver installs correctly. No need for the f6 floppy driver

Hey jaydee79 - I just want to confirm that you're using the 950 Pro M.2 NVME and not the sm951 in AHCI mode.
I also have the G752VL and 950 Pro NVME with bios 216 but still in RAID mode.
Thanks

Julskey
02-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but when should I use AHCI mode instead of RAID mode in G752VT bios 213? Can using AHCI benefit me only in using AHCI m.2 SSD? I only have the 2.5" SATA3 Samsung 850 EVO. Reading from internet, I understand also that RAID is more advanced than AHCI and that our RAID mode supports AHCI, so my question is, when do I use AHCI mode?

Thanks.

JustinThyme
02-06-2016, 11:02 PM
NVMe drives do not support AHCI. To totally different prorocols. NVMe is the replacement for AHCI as it could not fully support SSDs. Currently the only drives on the G752 models that support AHCI whatever you plug into the 2.5 inch drive bay. The 950 pro does not support, it's an NVMe drive. Instead of trying to write all this up here is a good wiki read

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVM_Express

As for the question about the SM951 that's totally dependent on which one. The AHCI version of the SM951 will not work in the G752s, only the NVMe will. Same reason you can't use a 950 pro in a G751, different protocols. Another user reported getting The Samsung Magician to see the AHCI is in fact on for the SATA III drive after the BIOS update and that the 950 pro was showing up with the right information instead of the same SSD drive twice or just random numbers. That user also confirmed the the Samsung magician software still does not work correctly with the 950 pro and this user also states that Samsung NVMe drivers still could not be installed for the NVMe. Honestly I find the post a few back to be contradictory. Setting an NVMe device to AHCI then installing NVMe drivers for it makes no sense. I'll buy that AHCI for the SATA III is now showing up in Samsung magician even though the AHCI has been active all along but AHCI and NVMe are totally different in every way, one protocol is not compatible with the other.

jaydee79
02-07-2016, 01:00 AM
So I do have the 950 Pro NVMe. I also have the other SATA drive. In the G752VL BIOS, if you go to Advanced and then SATA operation, you can change this from RAID to AHCI. This mean ALL the drive do not use RAID and the intel IRST option disappears from the bios options.

So stock bios has INtel Rapid Storage option

IN the Sata operations, hit enter and you see an option to switch between raid and AHCI. With this option changes I cant see my NVME drive in Bios but windows shows it in Windows setup, no raid driver needed

Now the Intel raid option is gone.

I reloaded windows in this mode and now I see the NVME controller in windows, it is using NVME mode not AHCI.

You can see from Samsung Magician it is not in AHCI mode

JustinThyme
02-07-2016, 01:57 AM
Thanks for clearing this up so the AHCI mode on NVMe drives questions can be put to bed.
Also clears up that the standard installation without Samsung Magician and Samsung NVMe drivers have no real discernible difference in performance. Numbers are give and take between the two, but all in the same ballpark.

Is your OS not installed on this drive?

Still kind of flaky with the drive not showing up in the BIOS, it never showed up in that SATA window before anyhow, what does it show in the boot tab? Have to tried to do a clean install without any drivers?

jaydee79
02-07-2016, 05:25 AM
So yes my OS is installed on this drive... Previously windows 10 setup would not show the 950 as an available drive until you loaded in the IRST driver.

After I switched over to the AHCI mode, there were no drivers required by windows setup to see the drive partitions.
I just deleted all the partition on the drive and i boot directly from the 950 Pro in about 5 seconds..

Having changed the drive modes Windows was no longer able to boot as it was originally installed in RAID 0 using IRSTe drivers. Im sure someone could have been able to flip the installation mode for Windows but I just wanted a clean install.

Interestingly enough, having switched to AHCI/NVMe mode, I have a better performance than before on the 208 Bios..

THis is the text results from before in bios 208 in RAID mode

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 816.258 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 749.735 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 491.734 MB/s [120052.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 413.638 MB/s [100985.8 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 753.516 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 709.359 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 48.754 MB/s [ 11902.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 138.172 MB/s [ 33733.4 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 17.7% (84.3/476.4 GiB)] (x3) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/02/02 1:26:55

and this is one I did using the AHCI bios setting with drive in NVMe mode

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2598.111 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1538.657 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 630.852 MB/s [154016.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 416.526 MB/s [101690.9 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 2035.275 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1538.103 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 44.423 MB/s [ 10845.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 184.014 MB/s [ 44925.3 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 4.1% (19.6/476.4 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/02/05 19:57:23

My random read and writes seem low but the sequential read and write are exactly what the drive should be doing..

karl6774
02-07-2016, 09:10 AM
with asus G752 VY T7003T samsung 850 evo 512gb

warryabel
02-07-2016, 10:01 AM
never....raid,bug?

JustinThyme
02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
So yes my OS is installed on this drive... Previously windows 10 setup would not show the 950 as an available drive until you loaded in the IRST driver.

After I switched over to the AHCI mode, there were no drivers required by windows setup to see the drive partitions.
I just deleted all the partition on the drive and i boot directly from the 950 Pro in about 5 seconds..

Having changed the drive modes Windows was no longer able to boot as it was originally installed in RAID 0 using IRSTe drivers. Im sure someone could have been able to flip the installation mode for Windows but I just wanted a clean install.

Interestingly enough, having switched to AHCI/NVMe mode, I have a better performance than before on the 208 Bios..

THis is the text results from before in bios 208 in RAID mode

and this is one I did using the AHCI bios setting with drive in NVMe mode

My random read and writes seem low but the sequential read and write are exactly what the drive should be doing..

Brother if you were only getting 800Mbps on an M2 drive you had issues that were not at all driver related. Here's a quickie I just did in raid mode on a G752VY no samsung driver, no samsung magician. As you can see this is about the same as yours the only really big difference actually goes in my favor with 1524 on sequential write over your 869.

never....raid,bug?

Not a raid bug, this is what you call BS my friend. Someone running crystalmark on a RAM drive and writing 850evo. Two telltale signs, first of course, its impossible to do that on any SSD even NVMe in raid (MAYBE ON A DESKTOP MACHINE WITH 4 IN RAID O AND OVERCLOCKED), the only thing capable of those speeds is RAM. Seond dead ringer is the drive size. Any test you see testing a 512GB drive shows up at 476GB not 465GB.

Here is the typical 850 EVO 1TB, Just ran it on my d:\

steve888
02-07-2016, 04:25 PM
Ok...here is how I switch between RAID and AHCI mode without reinstalling Windows 10.
I saw this on another web site and it worked perfectly for me on my G752VL Bios 216.
I did not uninstall the Intel RST as shown in step one and had no issues.
After switching to AHCI and back into Windows I installed the Samsung NVME driver.

1.If currently installed, uninstall your RAID or AHCI SATA driver (for intel, intel rapid storage technology)
2.Basically open msconfig -> boot tab -> check safe boot -> restart
3.Go into UEFI/BIOS and set SATA mode to which ever one you want
4.Boot up into windows safe mode
5.Open msconfig again -> under the main menu tab (general) click the normal startup circle - > restart
6.Your system should boot into windows fine and you can install your AHCI or RAID driver.

JustinThyme
02-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Ok...here is how I switch between RAID and AHCI mode without reinstalling Windows 10.
I saw this on another web site and it worked perfectly for me on my G752VL Bios 216.
I did not uninstall the Intel RST as shown in step one and had no issues.
After switching to AHCI and back into Windows I installed the Samsung NVME driver.

1.If currently installed, uninstall your RAID or AHCI SATA driver (for intel, intel rapid storage technology)
2.Basically open msconfig -> boot tab -> check safe boot -> restart
3.Go into UEFI/BIOS and set SATA mode to which ever one you want
4.Boot up into windows safe mode
5.Open msconfig again -> under the main menu tab (general) click the normal startup circle - > restart
6.Your system should boot into windows fine and you can install your AHCI or RAID driver.

Nice find! Beats the crap out of doing a fresh install!

steve888
02-07-2016, 05:06 PM
Thanks...it's really easy to switch back and forth.
I left it in AHCI mode with the Samsung controller driver but there is no difference in performance that I have noticed.

AHCI mode:
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.1 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2081.531 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 951.401 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 4) : 723.676 MB/s [176678.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 4) : 205.309 MB/s [ 50124.3 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1857.743 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 945.865 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 49.073 MB/s [ 11980.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 137.066 MB/s [ 33463.4 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 27.0% (64.1/237.3 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/02/06 10:38:51

RAID mode:
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.1 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2076.517 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 944.800 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 4) : 724.537 MB/s [176888.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 4) : 207.060 MB/s [ 50551.8 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1839.239 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 944.797 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 46.562 MB/s [ 11367.7 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 153.180 MB/s [ 37397.5 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 27.1% (64.3/237.3 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/02/06 11:34:20

karl6774
02-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Brother if you were only getting 800Mbps on an M2 drive you had issues that were not at all driver related. Here's a quickie I just did in raid mode on a G752VY no samsung driver, no samsung magician. As you can see this is about the same as yours the only really big difference actually goes in my favor with 1524 on sequential write over your 869.

Not a raid bug, this is what you call BS my friend. Someone running crystalmark on a RAM drive and writing 850evo. Two telltale signs, first of course, its impossible to do that on any SSD even NVMe in raid (MAYBE ON A DESKTOP MACHINE WITH 4 IN RAID O AND OVERCLOCKED), the only thing capable of those speeds is RAM. Seond dead ringer is the drive size. Any test you see testing a 512GB drive shows up at 476GB not 465GB.

Here is the typical 850 EVO 1TB, Just ran it on my d:\

by chance you're giving me a liar? I own only this pc ASUS ROG G752 VY T7003T
CRISTAL ME AND THIS DID WITH 850 EVO AND THE RAPID MODE ENABLE ANYONE CAN DO IT AND IF I STAY GIVING THE LIAR YOU ARE A FOOL

warryabel
02-07-2016, 06:08 PM
when the buffer is full the speed is away...
read this bro...http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/5
sorry :-)

fixxi.net
02-07-2016, 06:55 PM

JustinThyme
02-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Ive posted it more than once. Rapid mode is RAM drive for a short duration. Run the bench again with an 8GB cluster and watch what happens. Guarantee it tanks. It actually does worse than non rapid in everything except the crystalmark bench mark short clusters.

http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd/4

It is what it is, no need to go to name calling.

Sport611
02-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Justin,
As requested from my other thread. G752VT with stock Samsung 951 128GB still installed with OS on it. The results below are for the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in the second m.2 slot running the stock Windows 10 Microsoft drivers the 752 came with. Bios G752VT.213 installed.

CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2577.837 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1519.411 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 570.708 MB/s [139333.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 391.025 MB/s [ 95465.1 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 2164.041 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1510.872 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 55.121 MB/s [ 13457.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 178.338 MB/s [ 43539.6 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [F: 10.3% (49.2/476.2 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/02/08 9:21:50
950Pro m.2 Microsoft driver Win 10

Dr4g0n36
02-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Rapid question: with one SM951 128GB installed (very 150MB/s crappy ssd) and another m.2 slot empty (G752VT model) there's a way to manage a true raid 0 buying another SM951? or better change to AHCI mode and use a 256GB 950 pro and leave SM951 for steam folder (example)?

JustinThyme
02-08-2016, 04:48 PM
Justin,
As requested from my other thread. G752VT with stock Samsung 951 128GB still installed with OS on it. The results below are for the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in the second m.2 slot running the stock Windows 10 Microsoft drivers the 752 came with. Bios G752VT.213 installed.

CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2577.837 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1519.411 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 570.708 MB/s [139333.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 391.025 MB/s [ 95465.1 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 2164.041 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1510.872 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 55.121 MB/s [ 13457.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 178.338 MB/s [ 43539.6 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [F: 10.3% (49.2/476.2 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2016/02/08 9:21:50
950Pro m.2 Microsoft driver Win 10

Thanks for posting this up. I dont have a G752VT so could not confirm that the performance is the same without Samsung drivers or Samsung magician on this model and your post concludes just that. Same results from raid mode with Win10 native drivers.

Rapid question: with one SM951 128GB installed (very 150MB/s crappy ssd) and another m.2 slot empty (G752VT model) there's a way to manage a true raid 0 buying another SM951? or better change to AHCI mode and use a 256GB 950 pro and leave SM951 for steam folder (example)?

No ASUS laptop currently supports installing any of the drives in any raid configuration. Yeah I know, lame right? Raid controller with no raid. Its my belief that this was a what they could come up with at the time to get NVMe working at launch. If you really wanted to it may be possible to install the OS on the SATAIII then do a software raid on the M2 slots, dont know. Haven tried it but there is no way to do it on the M2s and be able to boot from it that I can dicern.

Back on the AHCI, this new BIOS is confusing the crap out of everyone it seems. NVMe does not run in AHCI, never will. Changing the SATA configuration in the BIOS to AHCI only disables the raid controller and allows Samsung software to see the drives. The SATA III dirves were already in AHCI.
The only thing you gain by changing the VT models to AHCI with the new BIOS is Samsung software can see the drives when they are not behind a raid controller and you can install the Samsung NVMe drivers oh and one more thing, its looking like you dont have to use the Intel RST drivers at install as the drives are no longer being controlled by the raid controller.

Other than that there is no performance to be gained. If you want to have high crystalmarks benches on your SATAIII drives you can enable rapid mode but high benchmarks on crystalmarks is the only thing you will gain from it. Rapid mode is a fancy name for RAM drive as a buffer. Problem is its only good for short bursts then it tanks.It will even tank on the crystalmarks if you set the cluster size to 8GB, does worse than the exact same drive without rapid mode. In real world applications the same drive on the same platform actually performs better with rapid mode DISABLED.

These guys did a pretty through report comparing the same drive and including other drives as well.

http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd

The 128GB is the slowest. I dont even think its an SM951, pretty sure its a PM951. Beacause of the way the drives are made and the architecture of the controllers in them are laid out the larger the drive, the better the speeds. So at this point the 512GB SM951 NVMe or 950 pro NVMe are the fastest.

My adivce to you would be to take the 128GB drive and leave it as is with all the original partitions. Buy a 512GB 950 pro and clone the 128GB to it then put the 128GB original drive back in the box the 950 came out of and place it in somewhere for safekeeping. The 128GB especially hold no real use do to its size and slowest speed and they are pretty much dirt cheap, not even worth trying to sell. You can pick them up for less than $100, saw one the other day listed in the $80 range. Putting it away is good insurance to have for recovery and gives you an easy way to just do a quick swap on the drives if you need to send it in for service. If you want to set the latest BIOS to AHCI just so you can use Samsung software that provides no gain other than being able to update the firmware on the SATAIII drives thats something you will have to decide for yourself. Just keep in mind that the software and drivers are aftermarket fluff. The software wont even support OEM drives like the SM951. Only aftermarket. It does not come installed on any machine from the factory, none, nada, zip, zilch. Samsung will not support the SM951drives event though they make them. They are considered OEM and as such you have to go back to who you bought the machine from for support.

So in short I would leave the BIOS as is, replace the crappy 128GB with a 512GB, put the 128 away for insurance. Later can add another M2 to the other slot and change out the spinner to an 850evo or something similar.

Personally Im not going to go through the trouble to get software to work that offers me nothing. The fact that Samsung doesn't care that it doesn't work if there is a raid controller involved (any raid controller on any machine) tells me all I need to know. This is not a new development. Been that way since they released it.

Dr4g0n36
02-08-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the big an exhaustive reply, maybe we can do a petition to add raid console like "g-sync" question. My HW knows were wiped away by the fact that still at the end of 2015 all HW expert said that "raid protocol never support/will support UEFI". And now ASUS came out with a native RST UEFI machine XD

PS: with 213 BIOS i still have to watch if a m.2 is AHCI or NVMe or now the G752 can see both? (with AHCI setting)

JustinThyme
02-08-2016, 06:50 PM
The G752 M2 will never be AHCI, that's what I was trying to get across in the very long winded post. Its NVMe whether or not the BIOS SATA mode is set to raid or AHCI. The only thing that setting does is disables the Intel RST raid controller. The SATA drives are AHCI and the M2 slots are NVMe regardless of what its set at.

Dr4g0n36
02-08-2016, 07:15 PM
The G752 M2 will never be AHCI, that's what I was trying to get across in the very long winded post. Its NVMe whether or not the BIOS SATA mode is set to raid or AHCI. The only thing that setting does is disables the Intel RST raid controller. The SATA drives are AHCI and the M2 slots are NVMe regardless of what its set at.
Yeah i know, but if NVMe was a "pure" controller, when installing Windows 10 with BIOS RAID setting you have to add NVMe drivers, not RAID one (like have to do now). Seems that NVMe channel is located under RAID/AHCI channel, not separate and free from SATA settings.

JustinThyme
02-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Thing is the newer G752VT BIOS are a bit on the Hokey Pokey side. You dont really know what iswhere. Set it to AHCI then go look for your M2 drive, you wont find it as the IRST where it was listed disappears but you can still boot from a drive that does not exist. Go back a page or two where the new bios was installed, AHCI enabled and a fresh install was done to a drive that did not exist according to the BIOS.

When you do a fresh install you do not have to add NVMe drivers even when you enable AHCI. You are adding raid controller drivers, NVMe drivers are native to Win 8.1 and later. NVMe, AHCI and RAID are all completely different animals with all completey different protocols and functions. You can run any drive through a RAID controller, NVMe, IDE or AHCI, PIO, PATA and probably Floppy disks if you still have one. What goes on with the protocol downstream of the RAID controller is another operation yet again.

Trust me when I say that RAID/AHCI is not a channel and the way they have it worded in the BIOS is what is leading to this continued confusion. NVMe is not now or will it every be under AHCI or RAID. Its not a choice between RAID or AHCI. It should be labeled RAID controller Enabled/Disabled. All of these BIOS files are still a long way from being what I would even consider as developed. Bottom line, they rushed the series to market without complete development of the skylake platform. I cant blame it on ASUS though as Im sure that even though they had this is the plans long ago Intel didnt release the specifics to make everything work until just before they released it (skylake platform final architecture released in AUG 2015 to OEM). Typical in any market. So for now all we can do is wait a bit for the BIOS to mature.

In the mean time, regardless of all the rest and word games (as we can go at this for an eternity), you have three choices. Run it like it came where the SATA and NVMe controllers are downstream of a RAID controller, change everything to accommodate Samsung's lack of development into the realm of RAID so you can install Samsung Magician and Samsung aftermarket drivers and gain nothing from it but the ability to update firmware on SATA drives, change everything and still not install Samsung software or drivers and not have to worry about Intel RST drivers when doing a clean install.

Here is a diagram for a Z97 dektop chipset, Yes I know its not the same but the general concept is the same. Sometimes looking at it helps to understand a little more. Note particularly the right side where you will see the SATA controller, then the NVME aka IRST PCIe storage then below the IRST raid controller. 3 different controllers with different purposes and different drivers all being routed through the chipset aka southbridge.

Now if none of this is enough to make your head hurt, Imagine a raid 0+5 where the controller is in one location and one mirror is in another and the other mirror in yet another all located thousands of miles apart and spanning thousands of drives.

Dr4g0n36
02-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Always exhaustive ;) so the "points" are: upgrade to a decent m.2, wait for ASUS that's waiting for Intel to finish this "Alpha" experience. Not good at all...why i've sold my 751 XD

JustinThyme
02-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Not Exhaustive, thorough trying to leave nothing to questions. Having to wait for things to get optimized on any new cutting edge technology is always the case, no matter what it is. Intel is done, the point I was making is the OEM manufacturers that just deployed the skylake platform had little to no time to develop anything. Being an electronics engineer I can appreciate their dilemma. All they could do was develop a concept based on what Intel told them and design the case, power supply graphics in this case as they were already there but then they had to execute the rest including a working BIOS and testing as much as they could in a very short time. There is always the option to save a bunch of money and revert back to the I7 2670 and GTX 560M with 16GB ram and a 5400 rpm spinner. That's all tried and proven with all the bugs worked out. Me, I like the challenge and can give it time to mature instead of popping the bunghole on the barrel of scotch before it was ready.

All part of living on the edge!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCGiV-EVjA

theVatansever
07-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Hello guys,
i've ordered G752VT, on the way and also have 512GB 950 pro...in order to install it, with clean install,

1.) I need to update bios to latest version (i assume it was 216)
2.) in bios, i've to select AHCI mode in order to install windows.
3.) install win10
4.) change bios to RAPID mode again?

can someone confirm?

thanks.

theVatansever
08-09-2016, 11:56 AM
just installed 950 pro on g752vt with latest bios, in ahci mode...everything works great.in device manager, samsung nvme shows 950pro, magician works.trim works.

theVatansever
08-09-2016, 12:45 PM
just installed 950 pro on g752vt with latest bios, in ahci mode...everything works great.in device manager, samsung nvme shows 950pro, magician works.trim works.

OscarJr
08-09-2016, 09:03 PM

Remind me again what AHCI is, and is it a must to enable it, and if so, where do I enable it?

theVatansever
08-10-2016, 01:10 PM
Remind me again what AHCI is, and is it a must to enable it, and if so, where do I enable it?

from my endless trials if sata mode is not ahci windows cant see the disk.

ahci setting is inside bios, under sata controller branch...there're two options, ahci and raid...

OscarJr
08-10-2016, 03:07 PM
from my endless trials if sata mode is not ahci windows cant see the disk.

ahci setting is inside bios, under sata controller branch...there're two options, ahci and raid...

Awesome, thank you. The NVME driver update is a must, correct?

theVatansever
08-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Awesome, thank you. The NVME driver update is a must, correct?

at first i didnt install samsung nvme drivers, there were no problem...later installed...i dont know what was the performance before, but it was speedy though...just install it for piece of mind.

OscarJr
08-10-2016, 08:10 PM
Got it, thanks. I'm gonna get the 256GB 950Pro and bumping up the ram to +32GB for a total of 44GB RAM. The 1TB I'll keep for additional storage.

JustinThyme
08-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Just a little clarification.
You do not need the Samsung driver. There are more machines running without it than with as it only works on the 950 pro consumer device, not on any OEM drives.
The BIOS setting is misleading. AHCI is SATA protocol. NVMe is not AHCI and never the twain shall meet. What the BIOS setting should really read is Raid enabled/disabled, not Raid/AHCI The only thing you will gain by disabling the RAID is the ability to use the Samsung driver and Samsung Magician software as neither can see past a raid controller, this is actually very old news.
The only gain you can get from Samsung magician is the ability to upgrade the firmware if anything new is ever released. Other than that there is nothing it does that you cant do yourself. The rapid mode is a joke. The only thing its good for is impressive small block benchmarks. Open the block size and it tanks horrendously. In real world performance its actually performs worse than a machine without it.

karl6774
08-15-2016, 06:17 PM
some of you have never created the raid 0 with 2 512GB samsung sm950 pro ? if so, you can post the benchmarck there are real improvements from a raid 0 created with the original sm 256 gb ?

Gps3dx
08-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Any G752VT owners - a small question:
AFAIK, G752VT got two M.2 connections...
Can you install two DIFFERENT M.2 SSD ( let say OEM sm951 + faster Samsung SM951 @different size&model ) while using NVME, so eventually you can have TWO different disks/partitions to work with? ( i.e NO RAID )
I presume that you can still use the SATA HDD of course....

karl6774
08-16-2016, 02:19 PM
yes is possible, SM950PRO + sm951 + HDD : D this is G752VY

Gps3dx
08-16-2016, 02:28 PM
yes is possible, SM950PRO + sm951 + HDD : D this is G752VY
Hi, thanks for the fast feedback. :)
is your M.2 drives both work on NVME ( not AHCI ... ) ?
Can you please tell me the exact model of your OEM sm951 ? ( e.i MZVPV128HDGM etc...)

can anyone with G752VT can confirm this as well ?

karl6774
08-16-2016, 05:12 PM
hi, thanks for the fast feedback. :)
is your m.2 drives both work on nvme ( not ahci ... ) ?
Can you please tell me the exact model of your oem sm951 ? ( e.i mzvpv128hdgm etc...)

can anyone with g752vt can confirm this as well ?

mzvpv256hdgl-00000

Bion1985
08-25-2016, 01:29 AM
Hello I just purchased a G752 that came only with the 1tb hd. What drives will work properly to add ssd storage to one of the m.2/NVME slots? Can I just clone the os off my mechanical 1tb to the new ssd?

jamreal18
08-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Which is better if I want to add another 512GB ssd;

EVO 850 OR PRO 950?

Or is there another brand?

Both of them are using M.2 port, right?

What is the difference between the them?

How to install them? Just put them into the laptop and is that it or will you need to do something first?

BNGI66
09-05-2016, 02:25 AM
Hello I just purchased a G752 that came only with the 1tb hd. What drives will work properly to add ssd storage to one of the m.2/NVME slots? Can I just clone the os off my mechanical 1tb to the new ssd?

This reply is for jamreal18 as well.

Get a Samsung 950 PRO SSD, not an 850. However, you may still encounter a few glitches with it, but nothing majorly difficult at this point in time. My first suggestion is that before you even attempting anything, you check and eventually update your PC BIOS; I got my ROG G752 two months ago, and at the BIOS it came with still wouldn't boot with the Samsung 950PRO; however, I downloaded V219 from ASUS website and it worked.

To clone the 1TB disk the system came with, I used the Samsung utility which works whether you have the controller in the BIOS set to AHCI or RAID (see post #112 by jaydee79 in this thread on how to change it). Mine came with the controller in RAID mode; I installed the SSD that way and switched to AHCI (in reality it only means RAID is disabled as the NVMe 950PRO never works in AHCI mode).

There is no performance difference among the two modes, but the advantage of having the controller in non-RAID is that you can install Samsung Magician which enables you to upgrade the SSD firmware (if an updated firmware became available in the future). All other optimizations for the 950PRO are disabled as they would only harm performances.

If you installed/cloned your OS with the disk controller set in one mode, and want to later switch to the other mode, post #118 by steve888 in this thread explain how to change and I can confirm the suggestion works flawlessly.

Good luck.

JustinThyme
09-06-2016, 02:27 AM
If you take some time to read through this thread the questions asked are here.
First and foremost. The 850EVO WILL NOT WORK IN A G752 MACHINE!

You have two choices, both Samsung and both NVMe
Either the SM951 MZVPV************ or the 950 pro.
Yes you can install them as two seperate drives. You can even have one SM951 and a 950 pro if you want, they just have to be NVMe, not SATA. No SM951 AHCI MZHPV, they wont work

As for what you can use in raid, raid rules apply and the array will be based on the smallest and slowest.

I have two 512GB 950 pros in Raid0, Ive posted the crystalmark screen shot at least 10 times. There is an improvement over a single drive but not double as theoretically expected as it pushes the limits of the bus.

Single 512GB 950 pro

Two 512GB 950 pros in Raid0

a good 400-600Mbs gain in sequential read but look at the HUGE difference in sequential writes!

karl6774
09-06-2016, 07:58 PM
hi,
any of you have tried the SM961 of G752VY ?

Clintlgm
09-06-2016, 11:34 PM
I can't find any info on an Samsung 961 do you mean the 951 that comes stock? its ok but the 950 Pro is much better option with longer warranty and think faster write speeds

karl6774
09-07-2016, 11:16 AM
I can't find any info on an Samsung 961 do you mean the 951 that comes stock? its ok but the 950 Pro is much better option with longer warranty and think faster write speeds

no, I mean just SM961 mzvkw512hmjp - 0000
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/SAMSUNG-SSD-SM961-512-GB-M.2-80-MM/4250583.aspx
the guarantee will be more long , but the speed absolutely no

Clintlgm
09-07-2016, 02:43 PM
Yes I see the model at that link, This is very new, Samsung has nothing on there web sites about this I can find. Asus hasn't put one in any G notebook so far so, we really have no idea. I've read a couple of articles on them none with any test drives. All that said, the M.2 drives are NVMe PCIe 4 lane. My guess is that it might work if you actually get your hands on one please post your experiences.

I would suggest you start another thread for this as it a completely new issue. Its kind of buried here and probably not related to the issues we were dealing with when this thread was started.

karl6774
09-07-2016, 07:50 PM
Yes I see the model at that link, This is very new, Samsung has nothing on there web sites about this I can find. Asus hasn't put one in any G notebook so far so, we really have no idea. I've read a couple of articles on them none with any test drives. All that said, the M.2 drives are NVMe PCIe 4 lane. My guess is that it might work if you actually get your hands on one please post your experiences.

I would suggest you start another thread for this as it a completely new issue. Its kind of buried here and probably not related to the issues we were dealing with when this thread was started.

probably tomorrow I get , then a few days to test it and post the impressions hoping it will be compatible with my g752vy

Clintlgm
09-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Well what I read, it makes sense that it will work, same spec's as the SM 951 just faster

leleo73
10-05-2016, 01:52 PM
I have a G752VS with 2 512Gb 950 M.2 and installed with asus irst Device driver. This is newer than from intel website, i think so. When i installed this i canoot install the app setupirst.exe from intel website. Asus device driver has no intel app. This device driver is not working correkt. Sometimes windows 10 Aniv. will not boot. I see permanent circle of booting windows 10. Only when i boot from pxe or usb another system and after this it will bott again from intel raid. Win 10 diagnose doesn´t work because no irst support raid. So i cannot use startup repair

winyl
10-29-2016, 05:46 PM
I have problem with installation of 1607 WIN10 update on G752vy with 950PRO. It will BSOD to 0xc0000225 winload.efi not found, no matter what I try, clean install,fixing boot with bootrec,bcdboot.
In bios option I have "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER" as an option to boot from 950PRO, but on original Hitachi HDD I have "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER (PO: HGST500..........).
Why I get the feeling Asus Bios does not recognize 950PRO in low level boot? I suppose boot option for 950PRO should look like this "WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER (PO: NVME SAMSUNG 950PRO),right?

JustinThyme
10-30-2016, 03:04 AM
Ive pre ordered 960 pros, Due Nov 15th.

As of 950 Pros you guys that are having issues are the exception not the rule. I Have two 512GB 950 pros in raid 0 on my G752 VY and anniversary addition installed without a hitch. I am NOT running samsung drivers, never have, never will. Its been proven time and again that the native drivers in Win 10 work just fine. Once you put them in raid the samsung software can no longer see them. This has been a glitch with their software from day one. Im still running off the factory image. Cloned original to 850 EVO, then installed the IRST drivers and software from Intel. Installed the two drives, used the IRST software to make the raid 0 array then used macrium reflect to clone from the Samsung back to the raid array and wiped the 850 EVO. Been running fine every since and the anniversary edition install went without a hitch.

DaKench
11-01-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm wondering if both the Samsung 960 Evo and the Samsung 960 Pro will work with the Asus G752VS?
I guess the Pro will work but will the Evo also?

Gustave
11-02-2016, 01:51 PM

As of 950 Pros you guys that are having issues are the exception not the rule. I Have two 512GB 950 pros in raid 0 on my G752 VY and anniversary addition installed without a hitch. I am NOT running samsung drivers, never have, never will. Its been proven time and again that the native drivers in Win 10 work just fine. Once you put them in raid the samsung software can no longer see them. This has been a glitch with their software from day one. Im still running off the factory image. Cloned original to 850 EVO, then installed the IRST drivers and software from Intel. Installed the two drives, used the IRST software to make the raid 0 array then used macrium reflect to clone from the Samsung back to the raid array and wiped the 850 EVO. Been running fine every since and the anniversary edition install went without a hitch.

Same here, have been running my G752VY for four, five month now on a RAID0 (2x Samsung 950 Pro). Anniversay update and all the rest of them. No problems so far.

JustinThyme
11-02-2016, 02:55 PM
I'm wondering if both the Samsung 960 Evo and the Samsung 960 Pro will work with the Asus G752VS?
I guess the Pro will work but will the Evo also?

There should be no issues.
The pro is a little faster and has a 5 year warranty instead of 3 years in the EVO.
Size differences
Pro 512GB, 1TB, 2TB
Evo 256GB, 512GB, 1TB

DaKench
11-04-2016, 08:51 AM
Alright thanks a lot :)
Running 2 960 Evo, 512gb each in raid seems like a solid option then.

Gustave
11-04-2016, 05:27 PM

I am curious about the performance specs of the 960 Pros in RAID0. Will you post them once you have installed and tested them?

Thanks!

winyl
12-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Anything new on NVME SSD support in G752 BIOS in both RAID and AHCI mode?
To me, seems like NVME driver in BIOS is buggy as hell. In Raid mode with connected SSD and linux won't see any drives (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2307273&p=13584552#post13584552) and it is not possible to install Windows due to BSODs, and in AHCI mode Windows is unable to install major updates like 1607 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88586-G752vy-Buggy-AHCI-Mode-in-BIOS-up-to-2-13-Do-not-switch-to-AHCI-on-NVME-SSD). Support knows about it and not fixing it. Total screw up by ASUS.
Well, I kinda laughed reading first post when hosedup reported Samsung and Asus calling each other names (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information&p=554506&viewfull=1#post554506). But know this is not funny anymore! We not talking here about cheap supermarket laptop, bur $2500 plus gaming laptop :mad: :mad: :mad:

Someone has G701vi? And can check if the same problems are present on it?

Dr4g0n36
12-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Anything new on NVME SSD support in G752 BIOS in both RAID and AHCI mode?
To me, seems like NVME driver in BIOS is buggy as hell. In Raid mode with connected SSD and linux won't see any drives (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2307273&p=13584552#post13584552) and it is not possible to install Windows due to BSODs, and in AHCI mode Windows is unable to install major updates like 1607 (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88586-G752vy-Buggy-AHCI-Mode-in-BIOS-up-to-2-13-Do-not-switch-to-AHCI-on-NVME-SSD). Support knows about it and not fixing it. Total screw up by ASUS.
Well, I kinda laughed reading first post when hosedup reported Samsung and Asus calling each other names (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information&p=554506&viewfull=1#post554506). But know this is not funny anymore! We not talking here about cheap supermarket laptop, bur $2500 plus gaming laptop :mad: :mad: :mad:

Someone has G701vi? And can check if the same problems are present on it?

Could you tell me wich model of NVMe bought? after last 2 bios update no one has problem installing AHCI.

JustinThyme
12-19-2016, 02:48 PM
You either live near the equator and have more bugs crawling around than the average user, the worst example of this machine ever produced globally, A poor understanding of how things work, or have messed with so many things you can remember what default is and can never get there again.

The linux conversation doesnt even belong here, try an open source software forum. This is a known attribute when running alternative operating systems on ANYTHING. Thats why is called open source, its YOUR job to create your own driver packages or find them where someone else has.

Ive not had an issue with NVMe drives from the first day I got my G752VY a year ago. One of the very first things I did was install a 950 pro It went seamlessly. Then there was the complaing of Samsung NVMe driver wont install. That one was and still is on Samsung. Since they first introduced their lineup of SSDs starting with the 840 series they found no need to be able so see the drives on the back side of a raid controller. The AHCI setting in the BIOS is not AHCI at all, its raid on/off not RAID/AHCI. This machine does not support AHCI. Its PCIe GEN 3 lanes support NVMe protocol, the two are totally different and never the twain shall meet. In any event when BIOS 212 was released 8 months ago the ability to switch the raid off so the crappy Samsung magician (aptly named because all smoke and mirrors is all it is) and Samsungs NVMe driver could be used. Samsung Magician is garbage, Even Samsung figured that out, have you not looked at the latest release that is really a firmware update tool as it has no other options that firmware update and performance test. The rest of its useless tools are GONE! As for the NVMe driver, its not that it wont work down stream of a raid controller, its that Samsung didnt take the time with anything they have written software and drivers to be able to identify their own drives past a raid controller. It would work just fine but their software and drivers are written ins such a way that they must first identify the devices as being consumer verions of their own making for them to work. You cannot use a Samsung driver on the OEM Samsung drives. The SM951 is in every aspect aside from aesthetics identical to the 950 pro but their software and drivers do not support it.

Regardless I've proven time and again that there is NO difference in performance or anything else when using the Win 10 (Not Linux, thats on YOU!) native drivers instead of the Samsung drivers. EVERYTHING that was in the Samsung magician software with the exception of firmware update and be done manually in another fashion. This still holds true with the Polaris Controller. Samsungs claims that their drivers work better is simply a marketing ploy to get people to but their consumer versions of their SSDs nothing more. One point that cannot be argued is Win 10 native drivers will outperform Samsung drivers 100% of the time in a raid configuration, Cant be argued because Samsung drivers will not work in a raid configuration because they cannot identify the drive.

In conclusion, This is an NVMe drive, not AHCI
They work just fine in raid on or off and as single or in raid in the platform for which both the Laptop and Drive were designed, Windows! Linus is ON YOU!
There is no difference using Windows native drivers or Samsung drivers with the 950 pro and now with the 960 pro. Any difference on any bench marks are negligible. Win comes out ahead on somethings then Samsung on others, then same bench comparison again and the they swap attributes as to which topped which.

My machine started off with a single 950 pro that installed seamlessly in minutes and when BIOS 212 was released I put in a second in raid 0 without incident.
The only thing I will say is the raid0 read performance only improved marginally as it has maxed out the bus, but the write speeds effectively doubled.

From the results Ive seen with the 960 pro I dont know that I would even bother with trying them in raid0 on any laptop at this point as the drive is faster than the laptops PCIe has bandwidth available for.

simi_id
12-25-2016, 10:59 PM
Hello

I've just bought a G752VL and now I'm looking for an ssd. After reading this topic I am confused now. Since in the manual is written to not install a sata m.2 ssd but I saw people writing that they are using ahci ssd with this laptop. For my clarification are there pcie ahci and nvme or sata drives are ahci and pcie are nvme ?

So far as options I have a spare 256gb sata liteon m2 ssd or to buy an intel 600p 256gb ssd or plextor M8Pe ssd. Which one will you recommend to not have any issue and to be a good ssd for os since 850 pro is not in shops and 960 pro is too expensive ?

Thanks*

JustinThyme
12-26-2016, 05:13 AM
There are severall M2 formats. M2 Sata which is just like it sounds, a SATA drive that fits in an M2 slot. Then came along PCIe connected M2 slots that support the AHCI standard, prevalent on the G751 JT and JY whic h cannot support NVMe only a small number of choices to be had here as in the Samsung SM951 AHCI version.

For the G752 Series put everything to bed except PCIe NVMe, this is the format it uses. There was some confusion created when folks with G751s were posting in this thread, Im sure I personally asked them to make another thread for the discussion of their machines.

Now for more confusion. The BIOS gives you two options, AHCI or raid which is extremely misleading, the G752 does not support AHCI protocol, it supports NVMe. What is should read is Raid enabled/disabled.

So to make it simple your options for M2 drives are PCIe Gen 3 NVMe drives, most common in these machines is either the Samsung OEM SM951 of 950 pro. Again more confusion if you go this route because Samsung found it hilarious to have an AHCI and NVMe model of the SM951 with only one letter different in the model number.

MZHPV = SM951 AHCI
MZVPV = SM951 NVMe and is what ships in the machine from the factory if you bought the M2 configuration.

950 pro is most common after market drive for these machines. While a 960 pro will work you cant make use of any gained performance as you cant get past 3000MB/s 960 EVO would be closer but probably still not able to see its full potential due to bottlenecks on this platform. A single 950 will get you 2400 MBPs seq reads, two in raid 0 will get you to 2900MBps, about the same as the 960 evo by itself, and doubles the write speeds.

If I was to change/add an M2 on the G752 platform today, it would be either one or two single 960 evos as there would be no real advantage of putting them in raid 0.
If you wanna buy two 512GB 950 pros cheap Ill swap you mine LOL, JK, sales are not allowed here. So I can match the performance of the newest drives with 950s but they have to be in raid 0 to do it. Bottom line, you're not passing the 3GBPs bottleneck.

Dreamonic
12-26-2016, 05:43 AM
Perfect answer JustinThyme. That should honestly be a sticky if it were only a new thread. It perfectly addresses the confusion almost everyone has regarding it. I've seen your posts mentioning this numerous times already for the ROG community, so +rep.*

JustinThyme
12-26-2016, 05:51 AM
Perfect answer JustinThyme. That should honestly be a sticky if it were only a new thread. It perfectly addresses the confusion almost everyone has regarding it. I've seen your posts mentioning this numerous times already for the ROG community, so +rep.*

Thank you for the kind words, hope your holiday season is treating you well!:D
:cool:
Have you managed to catch that VS on fire yet? :p

Dreamonic
12-26-2016, 05:59 AM
You bet it is! Haha, it's still going strong!

BTW, amazing build and attention to detail with your "Scream Machine".*

simi_id
12-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Thank you Justin for the comprehensive answer. Things are very clear now.
As I mentioned unfortunately here in Europe, 960 Pro are expensive and 960 Evo are not yet in stock anywhere. Will come close to February and I need a drive this days.
What I can find right now in stock are this three
• Intel 600p
• Plextor M8Pe
• Samsung 850 Pro MZ-V5P256BW (is this model ok ?)
Between this three drives which one is a safe bet to work without any issue and to be also a good performer ssd for os ?

Thanks*

NitroStar
12-26-2016, 04:51 PM
If I was to change/add an M2 on the G752 platform today, it would be either one or two single 960 evos as there would be no real advantage of putting them in raid 0.

Yes, thanks for the explanation! You've confirmed what I had picked up plus some more clarification since ordering my drive. I just received my 960 EVO 250 GB to install in my G752 that did not come with any NVMe drive. I've read tons of threads and am following them and prepping my UEFI USB drive, drivers, Throttle Stop settings, etc.... Should go great.

NitroStar
12-28-2016, 01:11 AM
Installed the 960 EVO in my G752VL and done a fresh install and used the eSupport folder to create a DVD and installed all drivers along with the ThrottleStop settings. Works great! I haven't installed the following though:
Game Center
Game First III

Are these really needed?

Here are my crystal disk numbers:

simi_id
12-28-2016, 09:04 AM
I've managed to find and buy a Samsung 950 Pro nvme SSD.
But now my question is how do I make it as a boot drive since in bios I can't see it.
I can see it when I install windows and right now I am installing windows on it, hoping that after install to override boot options with the boot from ssd.
Is there another way or a proper solution to this or to make it to be seen in bios ?

Thanks.

NitroStar
12-28-2016, 12:57 PM
But now my question is how do I make it as a boot drive since in bios I can't see it.
I can see it when I install windows and right now I am installing windows on it, hoping that after install to override boot options with the boot from ssd.
Is there another way or a proper solution to this or to make it to be seen in bios ?

Thanks.

What model laptop and what version of bios is on it? Updating my bios made my install a breeze.
I followed the sticky on how to install Windows 10 but didn't have to insert any driver into the USB folder due to Bios making the drive visible when installing windows.
- Copied the eSupport folder onto a DVD disk
- Took my original drive out
- I switched Raid off (to AHCI or whatever the other mode was) before I started
- Make sure to create the Windows USB in UEFI mode
- Boot it using the "ESC" key way and choose the UEFI install
- After windows starts up, I inserted the eSupport DVD disc and installed just the drivers 1st (was kind of tricky to make sure no apps were installed.
- I am still stuck on installing any of the Game First etc apps.
- I then installed my original Hard disc and then moved my "Personal" Documents etc. folders to the hard drive in windows.
- Oh yea, I have to use Throttle Stop and set it around -105 mV to keep my processor below 80* while playing Project Cars. I also followed everything to make TS boot with windows and keep those settings.

JustinThyme
12-28-2016, 01:22 PM
I haven't installed the following though:
Game Center
Game First III

Are these really needed?

Here are my crystal disk numbers:

Do not under any circumstances install the Game first software unless you want you network connectivity all screwed up, guaranteed! I don't know what the ASUS R&D people were thinking with this junk. Its supposed to streamline the network connectivity and allow you to host multiple players even. What it does is leave you scratching your head on why you cant connect, your connecting keeps dropping out or ping time and traffic so slow that post card chess is faster play!

The game center does have some useful things, hot keys on, off, lighting control, gaming profiles and best of all GPU overclocking if your model supports it.

NitroStar
12-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Do not under any circumstances install the Game first software unless you want you network connectivity all screwed up, guaranteed! I don't know what the ASUS R&D people were thinking with this junk. Its supposed to streamline the network connectivity and allow you to host multiple players even. What it does is leave you scratching your head on why you cant connect, your connecting keeps dropping out or ping time and traffic so slow that post card chess is faster play!

The game center does have some useful things, hot keys on, off, lighting control, gaming profiles and best of all GPU overclocking if your model supports it.

AAAAARRRRGGGGG! That Asus Live Update installed Game First behind my back! Ironically, I just got through uninstalling it before I read your answer LOL. Hope everything is ok now. I didn't see a need in it from my use of my PC anyway. I will get the Game Center though. I told Live update to only install after letting me know now.

JustinThyme
12-28-2016, 01:55 PM

Thanks.

Hopefully your machine supports it, which model machine are you running?

I simply cloned my original drive. With laptops I always use the original image, saves a lot of head aches. Only takes a few minutes to remove the software you dont want that is included. I simply clone the original drive when I first get the machine then put the original away for safe keeping in its original factory state. That was if Im having problems I have the original, If I have to RMA the machine, I have the original, If I need to reinstall, I have the original and a million other reasons. On my G752VY that came with a 256GB SM951 and 1TB spinner the first thing I did was take the spinner and throw it in the trash! Worthless cheap junk. I Put a 1TB 850 EVO in the place of the spinner and cloned the original to the 1TB 850 EVO. I then installed the IRST drivers, shut down the machine and put in two 512 GB 950 pros and created a raid 0 array on the two drives while running the OS off of the 850 EVO. Cloned the 850 EVO back on to the two 950s in Raid then wiped the 850 EVO.

Let it be clear, there is no AHCI on the M2 slot for any machine that supports NVMe. Its one or the other. Thats something I was trying to explain a few posts ago. The option in the BIOS is not labeled correctly, it should say RAID enabled/disabled. You will get ZERO performance gain using Samsung drivers honestly i don't even trust the Samsung drivers and software. ASUS only changed the operation of the BIOS over people crying about how their BIOS was screwed up because they couldnt use Samsung drivers or Samsung magician. Make no mistake about it, this IS A SAMSUNG PROBLEM!!!!. Its not that the drivers or software wont work, its that they havent bothered to make it where it can read their controller on their devices on the other side of a raid controller. This also is not a new development, been going on since the 840 EVO shipped when the software was developed, in other words since day one and Samsung has chosen to do nothing about it because it hasn't impacted their sales. The entire issue revolves around their own code not identifying the drive because god forbid they don't want you using their worthless software or drivers on their own OEM drives let alone someone else's drives.

I've proven this many times right here in this forum. There is ZERO advantage to changing the BIOS setting to disable the raid controller and installing Samsung software and this still rings true with the 960s, even on a desktop environment and this rings true no matter who makes the Laptop or motherboard. The drives work just fine with the same performance using Win 10 native NVMe support and you can install them in RAID if you like. If you want to use Samsung's garbage software or drivers you cant run raid. Just the fact that their junk only works on their consumer drives (not even their own OEM products like the SM951) and wont work once you put the drives downstream of a raid controller should tell you everything you need to know.

simi_id
12-28-2016, 05:27 PM
What model laptop and what version of bios is on it? Updating my bios made my install a breeze.
I followed the sticky on how to install Windows 10 but didn't have to insert any driver into the USB folder due to Bios making the drive visible when installing windows.
- Copied the eSupport folder onto a DVD disk
- Took my original drive out
- I switched Raid off (to AHCI or whatever the other mode was) before I started
- Make sure to create the Windows USB in UEFI mode
- Boot it using the "ESC" key way and choose the UEFI install
- After windows starts up, I inserted the eSupport DVD disc and installed just the drivers 1st (was kind of tricky to make sure no apps were installed.
- I am still stuck on installing any of the Game First etc apps.
- I then installed my original Hard disc and then moved my "Personal" Documents etc. folders to the hard drive in windows.
- Oh yea, I have to use Throttle Stop and set it around -105 mV to keep my processor below 80* while playing Project Cars. I also followed everything to make TS boot with windows and keep those settings.

I have G752VL with 16Gb ram version. I've managed to install Windows from stick in uefI mode and after that as I thought in boot options I have windows boot manager from ssd, even tho the ssd is not seen in the bios.

winyl
01-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Ive not had an issue with NVMe drives from the first day I got my G752VY a year ago.

As far as I know you had received g752 with raid enabled in bios and did not ever switch to AHCI mode, right?
I also had Raid because from bios 2.08 AHCI was available in bios. Well I switched to it in may 2016. Everything was working fine in AHCI mode, until the Anniversary Update was released. I could not install it due to "0xc0000225 BSOD winload.efi missing or corrupt" (https://wpcf.neosmart.net/sites/5/2015/01/winload-efi-0xc0000225-windows-8.jpg). Believe or not, I tried every possible fix, but it would every time spew out 0xc0000225 BSOD.
The only fix to install Anniversary Update was to switch back to RAID mode. And I had problems with it also.

If you did not touch the RAID mode, and switched to AHCI, GOOD for YOU.
But you telling me 950PRO will not work in AHCI, because it is NVME SSD? Well I can tell you, It will work just fine in AHCI. But you will be unable to install W10 big updates like Anniversary, and this is Asus BIOS bug.
As to Linux it only works in AHCI mode on G752VY and on NVME 950PRO just fine. IRST RAID is not detected, but this might be kernel problem.

Bones13
02-03-2017, 11:43 AM
I just received my new G752VS from HIDEvolution. I ordered it with only the 1gig spinner, as I already had a 950pro and a 2t SSD drive.

Made sure Windows10pro was authenticated, and extracted the key, just in case. Installed just the 950pro.

Bios had Raid on, and saw the 950pro right off the bat. Clean install of Win10 did not see the drive. I followed directions on page 1 of this thread, and put the unzipped Intel IRST drivers on the USB drive. These were found easily, and when the driver was chosen, it takes an uncomfortable amount of time to load. It did load though, and then the install was effortless, and fast.

Thanks to all that helped in this thread.*

wildman923
02-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Can confirm the same issues exists for intel 600p SSD's. While in RAID rather than AHCI drives can be seen but not manipulated (firmware update/optimized) by manufacturer software (SSD Toolbox for intel). Have to switch to AHCI in order to update / optimize.

So if you're using the internal RAID controller and setup a RAID 0 going to take a few hours and a few circus tricks to update the firmware for either of these drives.

JustinThyme
02-11-2017, 05:31 AM
As far as I know you had received g752 with raid enabled in bios and did not ever switch to AHCI mode, right?
I also had Raid because from bios 2.08 AHCI was available in bios. Well I switched to it in may 2016. Everything was working fine in AHCI mode, until the Anniversary Update was released. I could not install it due to "0xc0000225 BSOD winload.efi missing or corrupt" (https://wpcf.neosmart.net/sites/5/2015/01/winload-efi-0xc0000225-windows-8.jpg). Believe or not, I tried every possible fix, but it would every time spew out 0xc0000225 BSOD.
The only fix to install Anniversary Update was to switch back to RAID mode. And I had problems with it also.

If you did not touch the RAID mode, and switched to AHCI, GOOD for YOU.
But you telling me 950PRO will not work in AHCI, because it is NVME SSD? Well I can tell you, It will work just fine in AHCI. But you will be unable to install W10 big updates like Anniversary, and this is Asus BIOS bug.
As to Linux it only works in AHCI mode on G752VY and on NVME 950PRO just fine. IRST RAID is not detected, but this might be kernel problem.

You didn't read all of my script or failed to comprehend what I have written. Nowhere have I written that switching BIOS from raid to AHCI will cause an NVMe drive to not work. What I did say is the BIOS selection is in fact mislabeled and should be labeled Raid enabled/disabled. NVMHCI and AHCI are two completely different protocols. NVMe *protocol was built from the ground up, not just a modified *ancient AHCI protocol that simply won't work. NVMe controllers exploit the parallelism available with the new architectures Memory modules and controller. Want a perfect example, read around a bit of how many in this very forum bought the wrong drive for their platform. *Case in point Samsung SM951 that comes in two variants and a G751JY vs a G752VY. The G751 is AHCI and will not run the NVMe version of the Sm951, the G752 is MVMe and will not run the AHCI version of the SM951. There are plenty of write ups out there explaining the difference so I won't go any further with that.*

My machine did in fact come with raid enabled and a single drive. I did try disabling the raid just to see if there was any difference and it's not a simple 123 reboot go into BIOS and change the setting and you are done. That has also been covered many times and what I found was there is no dicernable difference between disabling raid and running Samsung drivers (because their drivers or software to this day still cannot see their own drives on the other side of a raid controller yet apps like AIDA64 and HWINFO can). *Afwards I ended up getting a second 950 pro to run them in raid zero. I cloned the*single drive running with raid disabled and IRST drivers and software installed to an 850EVO. Ran a CMD clean command on the drive Inhave been using then added the second drive. I created the raid 0 array for those drives using IRST software then cloned the 850 EVO to the raid 0 array. On reboot I went into BIOS and enabled raid he save and exit to reboot to the new raid 0 array. All the while cloning back and forth and I'm still running the original factory image that's just been moved from drive to drive via cloning. Of course I did use Ccleaner to remove the bloat ware I don't want which surprisingly there is more in the so called clean install OS than the factory image. The machine is still running the raid 0 array with win 10 anniversary update completed the first day it was available for download and it's running great on 5 ASUS notebooks and two desktops that reside under my roof. The only thing I had issues with getting it to install on was of all things, my Microsoft Surface pro 4 top shelf configuration with max everything. That took a bunch of firmware updates (yes the BIOS in this critter gets updated via windows update) and after all that it would still get to 40% then revert back. On a whim I not only disabled NOD32 I uninstalled it then BAM! Anniversary update went without a hitch after. Made no sense as it's the same AV on all my machines.*

Back to your issue. You've made your disdain for ASUS products no secret, I see that remains the same. Regardless of your opinion on the hardware you hate and degrade on a regular basis but still have take a minute to consider that no matter the product or manufacturer everything has quirks. No perfection exists and by the time any perceived bugs are worked out that product is now obsolete. Such is the technology world.*

winload.efi missing is always a corruption issue or configuration issue. I don't know what you've loaded or not loaded and how your bios was configured when you loaded it. I've not tried changing to raid disabled as well, I'm running a raid 0 array that is working flawlessly and have pretty much done everything there is to be done with this machine. I have no want to spend time to try and reproduce your issue and try to find a solution although I've done so for many others as you most likely wouldn't try it anyhow and simply insist it's an ASUS bug.*

What I will say is these drives and machines are very picky on installs and don't like drives configurations being switched back and forth. The M2s on G752VYs prefer to have the OS imstalled in the configuration it's going to remain in. Makes perfect sense. One of the biggest pet peeves it has is no matter your choice Raid or not they like being sweet talked and having CSM disabled and UEFI install.*

The only thing that can be accomplished with raid disabled is firmware updates on Samsung consumer models. Doesn't work regardless on their OEM line. All other tweaks, overprovisioning, trim commands etc can be done without the use of manufacturer specific software. Again this is not on ASUS or any other manufacturer but Samsung. Their installer package for their NVMe drivers nor their magician software can identify their own drives through a raid controller although everything else can. This is not new, been going on since the introduction of the 840 series and it's the same story for every laptop, desktop, tablet etc no matter who makes it. First report I actually saw of this failure was on an MSI desktop board.*
Other than the firmware update there is no gain to be had. Drivers make no dicernable difference, windows *default or Samsung. My firmware is the same that came on all my SSDs, not a single
Update has been offered and I'm not having issues so it's not worth the risk, you cant roll back on that! *

One other thing to offer is to try booting off a USB UEFI install image go to trouble shoot and advanced to get to the command prompt and use the BCD tool to rebuild the boot sector after making the BIOS changes that causes your failure. *

Good luck and please take the time to research the difference between AHCI and NVMe (many sources other than JustinThyme on ROG forums) then you will understand how they are totally different and never the twain shall meet! *;)

Lord00
02-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Hi everybody! Was able to do Fresh Install of Windows 10 on Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 on my ROG G752VM. Process Below:

G752VM Fresh Windows 10 installation on Samsung 950 PRO Instructions:

1. In Bios - go to advance tab, sata options change RAID to ACHI (This allows the Samsung 950 Pro to be detected by Windows)
2. Download Windows 10 single language from the Microsoft website and burn to DVD
3. Remove original HDD or SSD (With OS) and install the Samsung 950 Pro
3. Insert Windows Installation disk into disc drive
4. In windows setup press Shift F10 to open command prompt
5. Type DiskPart then press enter
6. Type List Disk then press enter
7. Type Select Disk 0 (specify your ssd) then press enter
8 Type Clean then press enter
9. Type convert GPT then press enter (This converts from MBR to GPT)
10. Type exit then press enter to close command prompt
11. On windows installation click refresh and proceed with Windows 10 Installation should then proceed normally!

Hope this helps you guys out so you don't have to clone the drive which was the main solution on this thread! On another note I am now experiencing a slow boot with Bios 302 on the G572VM. Cold boot takes 50 seconds, but a restart only 13 seconds! I have responded on another thread requesting for an immediate update to the G752VM Bios as it has been already resolved for the G572VY. Thank you.

Cheers,

Lord

Julskey
02-23-2017, 08:37 AM
You can also do a fresh install of windows 10 with raid mode enabled in bios. You just need to put a copy of irst drivers into usb stick and load the drivers during windows installation.

You can even go back and forth using raid mode enabled or disabled by restarting laptop into safe and changing the bios setting prior to booting into safe mode. You just need to restart laptop normally. (Already covered previously)

Lord00
02-23-2017, 09:30 AM
As an update I just had an issue updating Windows 10 on my G752VM w/ BIOS 302 and fresh W10 install on my Samsung 950 Pro.

"0xc0000225 BSOD winload.efi missing or corrupt" error when PC was restarted. So there seems to be an issue with a fresh install on Samsung 950 Pro and updating Windows 10 as previously mentioned on this thread by Winyl. I did the repair with the boot up Windows 10 DVD that I did the fresh install with. Unfortunately when I tried to do the Windows 10 update again I still encountered the same error.

I will now format 950 Pro and try cloning from my original 1TB as suggested by JustinThyme but take note I already did the W10 update on my 1TB so maybe the error will only arise from future W10 updates?

Any ideas what the issue could be? Thanks.

Lord00
02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
I reset my bios to default settings (SATA in RAID configuration) and just cloned my original 1TB HDD onto the Samsung 950 Pro with the Samsung Migration Tool. The cold slow boot issue I had before is now gone I thought it was a Bios issue all along, my G752VM with Bios 302 now boots in 9 seconds with the Samsung 950 Pro! So best way is really just cloning vs a clean install of Win 10, this will save you a lot of headaches and time!

\'beg
05-18-2017, 03:29 AM
You can also do a fresh install of windows 10 with raid mode enabled in bios. You just need to put a copy of irst drivers into usb stick and load the drivers during windows installation.

You can even go back and forth using raid mode enabled or disabled by restarting laptop into safe and changing the bios setting prior to booting into safe mode. You just need to restart laptop normally. (Already covered previously)

OMG... This post right here is the solution of all problems... I can't believe It didn't occur to me before (facepalm)... All of us apparently tried to load SSD drivers when doing clean install with RAID ON, and we all ended up with 950Pro not showing on the list... What we needed to do is to load Intel's Raid Drivers and VOILA, SSD is showing there...

We all have these drivers on our HDD, and it is under eSupport\eDriver\Software\Rapid Storage\Intel\Rapid Storage\14.6.3.1032\3135 you just need to point your windows to it.

So, set-up your BIOS to RAID, Fast Boot Enabled, Secure Boot Enabled (if u prefer Secure Boot), and start Windows installation. When you come to the screen where your SSD is not listed, click load driver and point it to above location. Wait few minutes for it to be installed and you will see your SSD afterwards... From there u proceed and install windows as usual. And let me tell you, it boots even faster than when u clone HDD. With clean installation (prior to installing bunch of programs), my boot-up time from cold start was 7 seconds!!!

No more need for cloning. Just install clean copy of Windows at your will...

All thanks goes to Julskey for pointing me in the right direction...

Dr4g0n36
05-18-2017, 12:39 PM
OMG... This post right here is the solution of all problems... I can't believe It didn't occur to me before (facepalm)... All of us apparently tried to load SSD drivers when doing clean install with RAID ON, and we all ended up with 950Pro not showing on the list... What we needed to do is to load Intel's Raid Drivers and VOILA, SSD is showing there...

We all have these drivers on our HDD, and it is under eSupport\eDriver\Software\Rapid Storage\Intel\Rapid Storage\14.6.3.1032\3135 you just need to point your windows to it.

So, set-up your BIOS to RAID, Fast Boot Enabled, Secure Boot Enabled (if u prefer Secure Boot), and start Windows installation. When you come to the screen where your SSD is not listed, click load driver and point it to above location. Wait few minutes for it to be installed and you will see your SSD afterwards... From there u proceed and install windows as usual. And let me tell you, it boots even faster than when u clone HDD. With clean installation (prior to installing bunch of programs), my boot-up time from cold start was 7 seconds!!!

No more need for cloning. Just install clean copy of Windows at your will...

All thanks goes to Julskey for pointing me in the right direction...

First, we don't have an hardware RAID (Like Marvell, Sonic etc) but we have IRST, is an Intel software (level 0 but software) RAID, embedded in UEFI. So, keep in mind that a very important point for speed and startup IS the driver version wich you use during setup (also some Intel installer upgrade the inf embedded in BIOS, you can inspect the raid driver that come with the machine in BIOS page). Best method for a full clean installation is to use the specific xflpy64.zip from intel (select the correct one or you will receive a blue screen with reboot) and then upgrade the driver itself wrom Windows desktop with the lastest intel driver package, replacing the old one. Also keep in mind that for improving speed you have to enable Write Back cache, disable power link management and disable buffer download (we have built-in battery, so no proble of data loss due to power loss). This is the best enviroment to work with RAID enabled, for AHCI 90% of things are auto managed so i can't be more specific.

With 2 NVME crappy SSD (128GBx2 Samsung OEM) in RAID0 and all stuff that i need installed here's my situation:

Here's my IRST settings:

\'beg
05-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Well, that is exactly what I did... As you can see from my post I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, or shortened IRST, and I used the one that came with the machine. I just pointed ppl where to find it, as we all have it on our drives... I wrongly named it "Intel's RAID drivers", but it was in fact IRST... so my bad there.. Everything else is correct though...

The problem everyone had is that without IRST driver loaded during Win10 setup, Samsung M.2 950 Pro was not listed so ppl couldn't install windows and they did, as this thread suggested, workaround by installing it on HDD and than cloning it with Samsung Data Migration tool, or they would just change from RIAD to AHCI in BIOS which than resulted in 30-50 seconds boot time...

THIS IS NO LONGER REQUIRED!!! And best benefit is that if you do clean installation of windows this way, you get to keep RAID enabled, fast boot enabled, secure boot enabled and laptop is blazing fast, faster than the one with cloned HDD... I'm telling you, boot times are now 6-9 seconds, and everything (including win update) is working perfectly NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER!!!

I only figured this out few days ago, as before I was trying to load SSD driver instead, and none of it worked, so I was cloning HDD like everyone else. But cloning option had quite a few downsides. This installation is the way it was supposed to be and I can finally enjoy my machine at it's fool potential...

Dr4g0n36
05-18-2017, 04:16 PM
I'm glad that ppl in this forum helped you out to reach a stable solution. I re wrote down the entire process due to a recent experience witha clean install of CU ISO. None of the Samsung worked (remember, withCU iso) an 5 of 6 intel raid driver turned into a blue screen setup. Even the original one. I've found the perfect driver (downloading all into USB and trying, and trying, that are v15.something (have to remember, i have them in my "format" folder) that worked like a charm, replaced it with v15.something+1 with the IRST setup.

jylong_away
07-03-2017, 05:26 PM
I hope this is the correct thread to post in, as I didn't want to create a new one unneccesarily.

I have a G752VS (i7 7th Gen), which I've just installed a new Samsung 960 Pro 1tb. I cloned the OS from the old drive, and stored that away for a rainy (RMA) day.

At this point, the drive boots fine, and the benchmarks seem ok. The only weird thing is that Samsung Magician doesn't detect it. The NVME Express Driver Installation also does not detect the drive (and therefore detects no NVME device)

I've checked the (latest) BIOS, and the IRST drivers are in order. There is no RAID 0 option, as there is only one NVME installed (the other one is a SATA SSD). I do have the option of selecting the SATA controller (AHCI vs IRST), but a changing it to AHCI just makes the drive fail to boot.

I've seen a few threads with this problem floating around from the end of 2016, but nothing that recent, and certainly not a definite solution.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem? Not terribly fussed about the Samsung drivers, but would certainly like the other info that comes with the Magaician software (Terabytes Written, etc).

Thanks!

Dr4g0n36
07-03-2017, 06:07 PM
I hope this is the correct thread to post in, as I didn't want to create a new one unneccesarily.

I have a G752VS (i7 7th Gen), which I've just installed a new Samsung 960 Pro 1tb. I cloned the OS from the old drive, and stored that away for a rainy (RMA) day.

At this point, the drive boots fine, and the benchmarks seem ok. The only weird thing is that Samsung Magician doesn't detect it. The NVME Express Driver Installation also does not detect the drive (and therefore detects no NVME device)

I've checked the (latest) BIOS, and the IRST drivers are in order. There is no RAID 0 option, as there is only one NVME installed (the other one is a SATA SSD). I do have the option of selecting the SATA controller (AHCI vs IRST), but a changing it to AHCI just makes the drive fail to boot.

I've seen a few threads with this problem floating around from the end of 2016, but nothing that recent, and certainly not a definite solution.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem? Not terribly fussed about the Samsung drivers, but would certainly like the other info that comes with the Magaician software (Terabytes Written, etc).

Thanks!

The main problem is that new bios change definition of sata mode. IRST voice in bios simply IS RAID mode. So you are under raid driver even if you have only one slot populated (jbod mode). In this case Samsung software don't recognize ssd because under raid chipset. To solve your problems simply keep in mind that now you are a raid user. Or just do a clean install pre setting ahci settings in bios.

Julskey
07-03-2017, 10:47 PM
No need for a clean install. Just open System configuration, click BOOT tab, tick SAFE boot, apply, ok, restart. before asus logo appears, spam esc and enter BIOS. Change RAID to AHCI (or vice versa) in Advance settings>Sata mode. Save and exit. Windows starts in safe mode. Open System Config again and uncheck Safe boot. Apply and restart.

jylong_away
07-03-2017, 11:45 PM
No need for a clean install. Just open System configuration, click BOOT tab, tick SAFE boot, apply, ok, restart. before asus logo appears, spam esc and enter BIOS. Change RAID to AHCI (or vice versa) in Advance settings>Sata mode. Save and exit. Windows starts in safe mode. Open System Config again and uncheck Safe boot. Apply and restart.

Thanks for that. Have read a few of the past threads describing this method, and was going to try it after getting back from work today.

As I understand it, turning off RAID/IRST will allow the samsung drivers and software to be used, but might also slow down boot times? Will it generally effect the read/write speeds compared to the IRST drivers?

davemon50
07-04-2017, 12:30 AM
I downloaded the Samsung cloning tool as scubahalo suggests above, and did it that way.

JustinThyme
07-04-2017, 01:08 AM
Thanks for that. Have read a few of the past threads describing this method, and was going to try it after getting back from work today.

As I understand it, turning off RAID/IRST will allow the samsung drivers and software to be used, but might also slow down boot times? Will it generally effect the read/write speeds compared to the IRST drivers?

There is no reason to install samsung magician or Samsung drivers. Magician does nothing but allow you to update the firmware which isn't needed and the drivers show no gain over standard windows drivers. **

jylong_away
07-04-2017, 09:32 AM
There is no reason to install samsung magician or Samsung drivers. Magician does nothing but allow you to update the firmware which isn't needed and the drivers show no gain over standard windows drivers. **

That certainly seems to be the general opition around. Is there any specific *disadvantage* to using the Magician Software, and Samsung NVME drivers, if I'm not running a RAID 0 Array at this point?

Clintlgm
07-04-2017, 05:01 PM
If you not having issues? all of our notebooks came from Asus running IRST drivers for SSD's its possible to change that is you like and want to go through that. So its really up to you. You can always make Images and return to original if you change your mind.

jylong_away
07-04-2017, 09:52 PM
If you not having issues? all of our notebooks came from Asus running IRST drivers for SSD's its possible to change that is you like and want to go through that. So its really up to you. You can always make Images and return to original if you change your mind.

I must admit, I'm new enough to NVME drives that I'm not sure I'd recognise any potential problems early enough. If I wanted to go back to IRST, would I need a backup image? Or would I be able to just reverse the process that JustinThyme described (boot in safe mode after changing bios to IRST)?

Clintlgm
07-05-2017, 04:48 AM
Yea were all new to NVME we have only been dealing with it the last 18 months or so, I would follow the procedure Justin described I think reverse would work. If your not having issues you might want to read up more before changing anything again.

I think what Justin was saying is that there in no advantages to switching to AHCI Magician is not really needed for anything. Not that it would cause problems

You might want to read this threat too https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88586-G752vy-Buggy-AHCI-Mode-in-BIOS-up-to-2-13-Do-not-switch-to-AHCI-on-NVME-SSD

Awergamer
12-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Hello, I am just a rookie here and I just wanted to now that Is there a limit for expanding the 256Gb SSD in Asus G752 VSK 7th intel ? So far I have learned that it supports up to 512 Gb total in dual slots; but ı have read that 1tb is mentioned and so I am confused here, is there any difference to install the games for better performance because It just consumed with just 3 games total (SOMA,and Ghost recon series) What is the best option dual 256gb SSD RAID 0 or just one NVMe with enough space ?

Clintlgm
12-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Actually you can put two 2 TB m.2 NVME SSD (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-PRO-Internal-MZ-V6P512BW/dp/B01LY3Y9PH/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1513786871&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung%2B960%2Bpro&th=1)in your notebook if you can afford them we are only limited by what is actually being manufactured and sold and we can afford to pay for!!

if I could afford it I would have the current 512 GB 960 Pro in for my OS drive and a 2TB in the second slot, Since I'm poor I have my 2 m.2 slot empty and a 1 TB 950 Pro in have 2.5 format slot.

Awergamer
12-20-2017, 05:02 PM
I am really unsure about the 2TB but I feel you so here is my concern is mostly about whether it will work right away once I bought and replace the Ssd to the slot ı mean if its gonna 3 disk partitions its okay. But I more kind of dream of main disk drive where you installed the OS is stays untouched( I dont know how to set Raid 0)
and build in just another NVMe which is either 256 or 512 .

As you said the price is differ country to country I am also confused about waiting for a little while to get something bigger to go for a better while. Anyway thanks for the heads up it seems we are not going to have a Free Disk Space problem unless it doesn't rain down money at christmas.

Can someone tell me the where to look for exact model number - MZVPW256 ? Is it the one with sm951 or Sm961 ? Thanks anway

Clintlgm
12-20-2017, 05:51 PM
1. I gave you a link to the Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVME that same link is use to purchase the 2TB, 1TB, 512TB, 256TB
2. You stock SSD is probably a 961 OEM model.
2. UEFI is not limited to 2 TB as MBR was, so the size you put in is not limited to 2TB
3. Its not cheaper to Run a Raid 0 on 2 960 than it is to just buy the larger size that you want. As fare a faster speed of Raid 0, not really a noticeable thing since the new NVME m.2 SSD are currently running a just about the max Bus speed of PCIe 2 So there is no real advantage to running a raid 0 on your two m.2 slots B
Buy the size drive you want for your OS, and for the other M.2 slot put in what ever size you want or can afford. Same for your 2.5 slot Put in what ever you want 2TB Spinners and SSD are available.

If what your telling me is that you have currently 2 128GB SSD in RAID 0, that's no problem Use Macrium Reflect (https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree)to create a Disk Image of your Raid 0 C drive, remove both of your 128 gB SSD and put in the SSD you want to use for your OS then restore the image you made to that SSD.

If I'm missing your issue please explain your issue more specifically.

JustinThyme
12-20-2017, 07:57 PM
There is no limit in size but there is a limit on the DMI link so raid ) will only boost your write speed. with Vnand larger sizes produce better performance. Does it really matter? Well no you will never see the difference in anything but a synthetic benchmark. As Vnand fills up the performance does drop, this is the only advantage to Intels 3D Xpoint, well that and its wicked fast 4K read and writer performance.If you search this section NVMe, raid 0 what drivers etc has been burned into the ground, resurrected by the zombie apocalypse then run through a nuclear reactor and immortalized. All it takes it using the search feature and a little reading.

But yeah 256GB is lame.......512 minium. Im running 2 512GB in raid0 on a G752Vy

angel1610
07-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Good day guys;

Here's my specs: asus g752vs

samsung ssd 950 pro 512 gb
kingston 512 gb

windows 10 pro x64 insider preview.

My asus detects my samsung ssd 950 pro but when I install windows on the samsung ssd pro no probs at all but.... when a new build comes out it won't install cause the bios says windows boot manager and no info of the disk.

I decided to install on the samsung drive and updates are fine no problems at all and bios sees my samsung drive as the boot manager.

My bios is version 310 so hope asus will fix that cause I'm loosing the speed of the samsung drive.

Thanks guys.

Clintlgm
07-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Good day guys;

kingston 512 gb

My asus detects my samsung ssd 950 pro but when I install windows on the samsung ssd pro no probs at all but.... when a new build comes out it won't install cause the bios says windows boot manager and no info of the disk.

I decided to install on the samsung drive and updates are fine no problems at all and bios sees my samsung drive as the boot manager.

My bios is version 310 so hope asus will fix that cause I'm loosing the speed of the samsung drive.

Thanks guys.

960 Pro 512GB is working great on mine no issue with 1803 17134.165 You might want to check that your firmware is uptodate.

jdfrench3
07-14-2018, 12:14 AM
Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 1803 (build 17134.165)

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VSK 1.0

Intel Raid 0 Volume (1024.21 GB) Two 512GB Samsung NVMe SSD 960 Pro M.2

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB (1024.21 GB)

UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. G752VSK.302 04/27/2017

Works like a charm in a Home Domain Network with six other Windows 10 Pro laptops. Windows updates work flawlessly on everything.

angel1610
07-16-2018, 06:27 PM
960 Pro 512GB is working great on mine no issue with 1803 17134.165 You might want to check that your firmware is uptodate.

Firmware is updated... still don't show in bios tho..

Thanks

Clintlgm
07-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Good day guys;

kingston 512 gb

So if your windows is installed on your Samsung 950 and working properly, What is your problem?

Thanks guys.
Since you have had your OS on both of these drives and everything is working on the Samsung 950 you probably should use Clean the other disk (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase-disk-using-diskpart-clean-command-windows-10-a.html)to remove any data still on it to confuse windows update

angel1610
07-16-2018, 11:43 PM
Firmware is updated... still don't show in bios tho..

Thanks

Never used the other one but just docs , music and games until now since the 950 probs.

Clintlgm
07-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Never used the other one but just docs , music and games until now since the 950 probs.
I would get with Samsung since you seem to be the only one with this issue. Samsung had a bad firmware out a few months ago but I think they have solved that issue, I don't see this as an Asus issue. I have run my 850 Pro SATA and my m.2 PCIe 960 pro without issues for a couple of years now on my G752VY Both in RAID mode and AHCI mode. The only issues we have ever had was that Asus did not come out with the AHCI setting in the BIOS for a while after they started producing the G752 They came from the factory in RAID mode I changed mine over to AHCI mode just to see if there was any difference and there isn't any difference that I have been able to measure or notice in day to day computer use.

So it sounds to me that either you have a defective SSD or a defective notebook

Clintlgm
07-17-2018, 01:58 PM
Good day guys;

kingston 512 gb

Your working with a BETA version of windows you should expect issues to come up and report them and work with MS to solve them or a Forum that has lots of people working with Insider Preview like the Ten Forums (https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/113882-new-windows-10-insider-preview-fast-build-17713-july-11-a.html)
This forum has many people working with all phases of the insider builds.

Thanks guys.

Do check out the window ten forum i linked for you. Very few of Asus users here are experimenting with preview builds were have more than enough problems just keeping up wiht the released upgrades and updates. you'll find lots of help working with the preview builds on the forum that I linked.

angel1610
07-18-2018, 12:38 AM
Do check out the window ten forum i linked for you. Very few of Asus users here are experimenting with preview builds were have more than enough problems just keeping up wiht the released upgrades and updates. you'll find lots of help working with the preview builds on the forum that I linked.

First when I install windows I always take one ssd out which I did with the samsung and then the kingston.

In the bios when I boot from the kingston ssd it says windows boot manager (kingston bla bla bla).

With the samsung it only says windows boot manager and no name for the ssd so in my opinion the bios is the fault.

For a week now I user regular windows and not insider preview so windows is out of the prob here.

Clintlgm
07-18-2018, 01:37 PM
First when I install windows I always take one ssd out which I did with the samsung and then the kingston.

In the bios when I boot from the kingston ssd it says windows boot manager (kingston bla bla bla).

With the samsung it only says windows boot manager and no name for the ssd so in my opinion the bios is the fault.

For a week now I user regular windows and not insider preview so windows is out of the prob here.

And both are m.2 NVME PCIe ssd? your SATA setting are Raid or AHCI Trust me you are the one with this problem the rest of us are working fine, so If your not doing something wrong either your MB is defective or the Samasung 950 has an issue.

angel1610
07-18-2018, 02:03 PM
And both are m.2 NVME PCIe ssd? your SATA setting are Raid or AHCI Trust me you are the one with this problem the rest of us are working fine, so If your not doing something wrong either your MB is defective or the Samasung 950 has an issue.

Disk 0: NVMe Samsung SSD 950 (476 GB)
Disk 1: KINGSTON SUV400S37480G (447 GB)

In the bios set to AHCI.

Thanks.

Clintlgm
07-18-2018, 03:33 PM
Disk 0: NVMe Samsung SSD 950 (476 GB)
Disk 1: KINGSTON SUV400S37480G (447 GB)

In the bios set to AHCI.

Thanks.
Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5

I'm wondering if your G752VW support NVME? I assume that all G752 do support NVME but you should check your manual and ensure that your model M.2 slots support NVME and not just SATA

Also when you install windows 10 on the m.2 that slot is in AHCI mode and your installing in UEFI mode

angel1610
07-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5

I'm wondering if your G752VW support NVME? I assume that all G752 do support NVME but you should check your manual and ensure that your model M.2 slots support NVME and not just SATA

Also when you install windows 10 on the m.2 that slot is in AHCI mode and your installing in UEFI mode

Motherboard Name: Asus ROG G752VS-RB71KCB Series Notebook

Clintlgm
07-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Motherboard Name: Asus ROG G752VS-RB71KCB Series Notebook

So what does your user manual tell you? I know that some of the GL752 have only m.2 SATA, not nvme you'll need to check your manual to verify what yours supports. I don't have time to download and read the manual for your notebook.

You have to remember this is a peer to peer forum Asus employees seldom show up here at all.

angel1610
07-18-2018, 10:43 PM
So what does your user manual tell you? I know that some of the GL752 have only m.2 SATA, not nvme you'll need to check your manual to verify what yours supports. I don't have time to download and read the manual for your notebook.

You have to remember this is a peer to peer forum Asus employees seldom show up here at all.

From the manual, the M.2 2280 slot does not support M.2 SATA SSD

Thanks.

Clintlgm
07-19-2018, 02:15 AM
From the manual, the M.2 2280 slot does not support M.2 SATA SSD

Thanks.

Yes that what I thought it supports NVME, I also thought you listed that your 950 pro was a NVME model?