PDA

View Full Version : Why is the G751JY-WH71(WX) so cheap?

cuniac
11-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Earlier this year I had purchased the G751JY-DB72. Sadly I had to return it shortly after. Now I am trying to buy a RoG again and see the G751JY-WH71(WX). This unit is selling for $700-$800 less than the DB72 but its not adding up. It has 16GB Ram compared to 24GB, 128GB SSD + 1TB platter compared to 256GB SDD + 1TB Platter, DVD Drive compared to Blu-Ray Drive, Backlit keys compared to illuminated keys, and ASUS chat support said its a 1.2mp HD cam compared to an HD cam...

Also, to put a finer point on it, its selling for $1,499 for a 980m with G-Sync 17" laptop. Does anyone have any info on this or know why its so cheap?

Small Update:
Found the link on the ASUS site for the laptop (it was hidden.) they took away the red coloring on the vents, but otherwise has the same cooling and classic RoG perks as the DB72.
http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM160007800/A20422

Edweird
11-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Those are the wrong photos they have up. I believe that's the G751JM (or JL) that have been out ever since the G751 was available. It's also considerably lighter and thinner and physically impossible to be a JY.

I'd say go for it.

There's no difference between an illuminated and backlit keyboard, it means the same thing, they all use LEDs under the keycaps to light the keys. You don't really need more than 16GB of RAM. The 128GB SSD can be a bother, I found I need a 256GB model for my needs.

Bluray drive...who cares about Bluray? Or even an optical drive, at this point. Sure, it's useful, but don't base a purchase on it ... considering you can get an external one cheap.

720p HD is around 0.9 megapixels, 1080p aka Full HD is around 2.0 megapixels. I wouldn't worry about the camera if you can get a laptop with a 980M for $1500 and tbh that price has come up quite often in the past month. You can probably find it even cheaper if you shop around, there's nothing iffy about it.

bululu
11-29-2015, 05:28 PM
I just bought the G751JY-WH71(WX) for 1499 at newegg (Including the game bundle and a ROG - Mouse).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232849&cm_re=asus_g751-_-34-232-849-_-Product

IMHO they are that cheap, because of blackfriday/cybermonday sales are currently going on, and everyone has to compete good discounts from others

cuniac
11-29-2015, 05:31 PM
I got the same newegg deal lol. Could not pass that up, This thing is going to be a rockstar :)

bululu
11-29-2015, 11:28 PM
Yeah, hopefully with M.2 connectors, and hopefully w/o issues like faulty IPS (dead dots, or shining dots), rattling fans or bad touchpad.
Did I forget some common problems? 8-)

kenrom
11-30-2015, 01:53 AM
I just bought the G751JY-WH71(WX) from newegg as well my vents are painted red...so far it runs like a beast....only issue I bought a m.2 evo 500 gb to replace the 128ssd but it wouldn't work. I was told i have to get the "AHCI version that SATA version won't work" which to me is alot of crap....but besides that the laptop is very nice currently play fallout 4 max out and getting over 65+ frames

IBMAT
12-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Greetings,

I have been in the market for a new laptop now for about 6 months now. I wanted a laptop with enough grunt to handle film scanning (large format files) and photo editing as well as video. So, I started to look at gaming laptops to see if those would be a better fit. I checked out the ROG 'tops since I was a ASUS fan years ago (l‎oved the P55T2P4). BTW, I am a total gaming noob, never played one in my life.

I have been lurking here for while now and read all the info my brain can handle with regard to what options are with what ROG, etc. I started to look at what is out there for gaming and found that there are alot of really cool ones I want to possibly try. So, after looking at ROG's for about 2 months now, I pulled the trigger and ordered the G751JY-WH71 (WX) model. It looked to be the best model to grab based on my needs and price and should cover me for quite a long time.

A couple of questions:

1. I hope it comes with a M.2 PCIe connector as I have been reading conflicting into on that. Can anybody confirm?
2. Games- Anyone got any recomendations? Battlefield is cool. Also the Sci fi games. I am looking at flight sim games but don't know much about those yet. So many choices. I am getting more and more excited about all this. ;)

cuniac
12-28-2015, 05:00 PM
I could check my unit to see if it came with any when I get home. Really good games out right now (New ones) are Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid 5, Black Ops 3. Right now Steam is having their Holiday Sale. I could go there and go nuts.

IBMAT
12-28-2015, 09:37 PM
I could check my unit to see if it came with any when I get home. Really good games out right now (New ones) are Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid 5, Black Ops 3. Right now Steam is having their Holiday Sale. I could go there and go nuts.

Cuniac,

That would be great to find out if yours has the m.2 PCIe.

Thanks for the suggestions on games. I will definately check those out.

IBMAT
12-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Cuniac,

That would be great to find out if yours has the m.2 PCIe.

Thanks for the suggestions on games. I will definately check those out.

The Brown truck arrived and I have a box. This machine is super nice. Took it out and flipped it over. M.2 PCIe connection is there! Woohoo.....
Now, the upgrades! :D

cuniac
01-02-2016, 05:19 PM
I've been super impressed with this machine. Its crazy fast and didn't have anything missing that I thought it might at that price point. I'm sure my unit must have the m.2 as well, ill check it out when I get home from work :)