PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading G751JY-WH71(WX)

cuniac
11-29-2015, 04:55 PM
So I just purchased the G751JY-WH71(WX) as you may have seen in two other posts :). I have a question about upgradeability on this model for Ram and HDD.

I see the Ram needs to be the DDR3L 1600, and that you can push it up to 32GB. But, can you put it faster Ram or is 1600 the max. Is it also possible to slightly over clock this ram to say 1866?

The second question is for the HDD. This unit comes with SSD and Platter. How many storage devices can it hold? Does it support M.2 and how many of each can you have in this unit?

The Last question is for the Optical drive. The unit I am getting has a DVD drive. Is it possible to put a Blu-ray drive into this laptop? I know Optical is kind of a moot point anymore, but was just curious if it was possible.

Any info would be very helpful. And thank you to everyone on this forum, you have been very helpful with these posts :)

Clintlgm
11-29-2015, 05:09 PM
So I just purchased the G751JY-WH71(WX) as you may have seen in two other posts :). I have a question about upgradeability on this model for Ram and HDD.

I see the Ram needs to be the DDR3L 1600, and that you can push it up to 32GB. But, can you put it faster Ram or is 1600 the max. Is it also possible to slightly over clock this ram to say 1866?

You will need to change out all four slots with faster ram. Otherwise if adding RAM to what you have you will need to match as close as possible to what you have mainly Voltage 1.35v and Timings need to match.

The second question is for the HDD. This unit comes with SSD and Platter. How many storage devices can it hold? Does it support M.2 and how many of each can you have in this unit?

I would suggest you look in your User manual for the layout of your upgradeable locations and their compatible upgrades Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)for a Digital version of your User manual

The Last question is for the Optical drive. The unit I am getting has a DVD drive. Is it possible to put a Blu-ray drive into this laptop? I know Optical is kind of a moot point anymore, but was just curious if it was possible.

Yes its possible

Any info would be very helpful. And thank you to everyone on this forum, you have been very helpful with these posts :)

You will need to change out all four slots with faster ram. Otherwise if adding RAM to what you have you will need to match as close as possible to what you have mainly Voltage 1.35v and Timings need to match.

I would suggest you look in your User manual for the layout of your upgradeable locations and their compatible upgrades Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)for a Digital version of your User manual.

Yes its possible

Your user manual is your friend hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php)is also a good program to access your hardware and drivers versions.

kenrom
11-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Sweet i also went and ahead and bought this model as well, Also i bought a 500GB m.2 evo 850 drive to replace to the 128gb 2.5 drive...but i having
issues setting up the drive to install windows 10 is there something that i need to do to get this m.2 working in this laptop?

kenrom
11-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Sweet i also went and ahead and bought this model as well, Also i bought a 500GB m.2 evo 850 drive to replace to the 128gb 2.5 drive...but i having
issues setting up the drive to install windows 10 is there something that i need to do to get this m.2 working in this laptop?

this is the drive i bought (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1123190&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4eqyBRDUh7Omv9vCtsoBEiQAspfs8hmmJbsF 5-uhXjvy9AXB3H17ZIfm1vgIv3gaKCRm1JAaAnTQ8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details)

kenrom
11-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Update : It is still not showing up in the BIOS

Clintlgm
11-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Yes you need the AHCI version the SATA version won't work

kenrom
11-29-2015, 10:47 PM
Yes you need the AHCI version the SATA version won't work

Sigh........ thank very much sir