PDA

View Full Version : Resources to teach myself more

Allanuflaw
12-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Hello all-

I've been browsing the forums quite a bit since getting my new g551 on sale at Newegg for $729.

There are several things I would like to do to the laptop, and ths forum has been a great beginning resource.

However, I really don't have enough knowledge to feel comfortable doing the things I would like to do, and I really don't want to be that guy asking for help without trying to learn on his own.

I would like to replace the 8 GB hynix ram with 16GB. I have used cpu-z to check my hardware. I am familar with needing 1.35v, cl11, etc, but I still have other questions before I takethe plunge and buy something. Are there any good resources out there to teach me more about RAM - i.e.: should i get a dual channel kit?

I would like to add and/or replace my 5400 RPM HDD with a SSD. I have learned quite a few things here (mini ssd, 256gb limit, etc). Any other resources out there you all used to learn more about which SSD to put into your ROG laptop?

For my current tech level - I have owned a sony vaio and 3 dell laptops and taken them all completely apart at some point for reasons ranging from replacing an lcd panel I punched out to cleaning the fan (jesus dell I had to take the entire damn thing apart completely to clean that damn fan).

I see other people changing out thermal paste and stuff and that seems really cool, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting in over my head without learning a lot more.

Last thing: thanks everyone who replies and I really appreciate it, I am really enjoying trying to become a gaming laptop enthusiast.

-Allan

toronto699
12-02-2015, 06:49 PM
this may be usefull compatible parts , u don't have to buy from crucial just the same specs
http://www.crucial.com/

Clintlgm
12-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Yes, for you warranty period you can't change the 28GB Cache SSD as it is not accessible without dissembling your notebook which could void your warranty.
Your RAM you should have 2 slots open and accessible. You need to run Something like hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) to read your exact RAM configuration and match as closely as possible you already know you need 1.35 v but you need to match all the timings 11-9-9-9 etc hwinfo64 will show you exactly what you have and where it is currently installed.

Ways to learn more I would start with your owners manual. if you don't have one Asus Support Downloads (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1)will have a digital one for you. Go through it carefully an you will learn a great deal about your notebook.

As far as specific things like understanding RAM or SSD or any thing like that Goggle is your friend.
Before you do thing to your notebook you find in these forum or any forums read all there is, this is user to user forum and incorrect information can get posted. We usually find these incorrect post and correct the poster a lot of the time were just trying to figure how to accomplish something. For instance right now we are just starting to see G752, and there is an issue with upgrading the NVMe SSD's that will all work itself out in a few days in the mean time several post are being posted and Asus isn't really helping us out. That should change to day as cl-albert returns from vacation or where ever he went today. My point is don't make changes until you are fully convinced you know what you are about to do, how to do it, an that it is going to make an improvement. Making changes hap hazardly can be harmful to your notebook.

Allanuflaw
12-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Hey Clint- thanks for the response! You too Toronto!

I must be some kind of dope; I completely forgot about downloading a user manual. That's first on the list to do now.

I have ran cpu-z on my laptop and it gave me all the correct timings and exact specs on my RAM. My only hang up now is that the laptop came with Hynix brand memory, and I'm worried about mixing brands of memory, even with every single specification the exact same. I don't want to buy Hynix memory though- one 8GB stick is $15 more than 2 8GB crucial or Gskill sticks?!!!!!! (With identical specs)

Clintlgm
12-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Hmm, I think you'll be all right using the Crucial, although you should look in the back door of your notebook and insure that you have the 2 empty slots to fill!! Again you should be ok with matching timings and Voltages. The Hynix might sound a little cheaper if the GSkill don't work for some reason!!
Anyone else tried the G Skill stick? maybe you should post the exact part numbers of the G Skill and see if anyone reply's one way or the other. Start an new thread for that and give it a couple of days for everone to have a look unless you get one or more that confirms that the GSkill play well with the Hynix

Gps3dx
12-02-2015, 10:42 PM
You need to run Something like hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) to read your exact RAM configuration and match as closely as possible you already know you need 1.35 v but you need to match all the timings 11-9-9-9 etc hwinfo64 will show you exactly what you have and where it is currently installed.

As this Thread dedicated to learning, not just application I would like to add few thing:
( I write from my own experience and reading through the years... I know i'm not 100% exact scientifically in my words)

About "CL" of DDR2/3 rams.... in the days of DDR2 and the times where the North Bridge was actually a physical controller ( not integrated inside the CPU ) "CL" value was indeed a parameter that some might argue that it effect performance - but benchmarks ( there are many ) showed that for gaming application, lower "CL" ( which was a good thing ) in terms of FPS, could help to gain only about 1-2 FPS... not that drastically as a GPU upgrade...
Since then, the DDR3 DIMM and the "i" architecture of intel (dunno how thing with AMD) became poplar.
The "i" architecture ( not sure 100% if it was the 1st serie ) solve a major bottle neck, that was exist between the RAM and the CPU ( in the middle there was the northbridge ) by embedding the NorthBridge INSIDE the CPU.
This solution - together with the more effective way DDR3 behave ( in comparison to DDR2 ) - caused the "CL" questionable "importance" to performance, to be NOT IMPORTANT AT ALL.
Thus, TODAY, on systems with DDR3 and "i" CPUs - it is important to known the "CL" because of the STABILITY related issues.
Each OEM manufacturer release ( typically ) a list of "compatible" RAM DIMMS that they've tested to be working with a certain motherboard/laptop.
About DUAL/TRIPLE channel layout of the RAM- the web contains LOTS of benchmarks about that "tech".
You'll see an improvement of the CPU calculations ONLY WHEN the Motherboard, RAM, OS & APPLICATION SUPPORTS MUTLI-CORE PROCESSING.
( physical cores or HT, i.e "virtual" ).
As for gaming the GPU is the critical factor for FPS.... investment in a good GPU is smarter.
nevertheless -> if you're a scientist using apps that are based on CPU calculations.... you might want to invest in a mobo+RAM that supports triple channel, as the differences between "with" Vs "Without" are noticeable.
hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php)/CPU-Z ( or any other RAM info app ) typically shows TWO types of memory timings: the current active timings that the PC runs at AND a list of timings called "SPD".
The "SPD" is the "default" & "safe"&"Stable" timings, that RAM manufacturer tested.
The BIOS, if not specially configured, uses one of the SPD timing when the computer boots.
NEVERTHELESS, you can found out that the SAME MANUFACTURER releases the SAME RAM with spec info that says the timings of the ram can be CLOCKED HIGHER THEN THE SPD VALUES !!!!

Practical Tips:

if you're looking to enlarge your RAM size and the OEM did NOT released a "compatibility RAM list" - it is advisable to search for a diffrent/same size BUT WITH SAME MEMORY TIMINGS ( "CL, TRCD, TRP, and TRAS" values (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings) ),
NEVERTHELESS - and AS IMPORTANT AS SIMILAR MEMORY TIMING - is the NUMBER OF CHIPS ON THE RAM'S PCB (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/55024-30-memory-please-read-posting) -> replace to another RAM that contains THE SAME NUMBER OF CHIPS ON THE RAM'S PCB !!!
I personally, more then once, encountered a situation where different RAM's, same size and memory timing, BUT DIFFRENT NUM OF CHIPS -> caused MASS of BSOD and/or BIOS POST problems.
If you install a new RAM that you know it should run at a certain memory timings - make sure that it actually runs on these timings,
as BY DEFAULT the BIOS uses the SPD Timings values, unless otherwise configured
( SPD timings typically are LOWER then the values you actually wished/purchased/printed on the Ram's box/brochure - cause they're the most stable values the RAM manufacturer tested )

Allanuflaw
12-03-2015, 01:25 AM
Gps,
Thanks for taking the time to post on my thread!
A lot of the stuff you wrote was way over my head, but I've been looking up some articles and I'm really learning a lot about ram in general and the concepts/foundation behind the specificiations of the RAM itself- thanks for sending me down that direction!

On a side note, your Windows UEFI installation guide is a great resource. I have been slowly working through it so I can reinstall my Win10 OS!