PDA

View Full Version : GL551JW-WH71(WX) Keyboard issue

collnc
12-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Brand new laptop. Whenever I turn it on or wake it up some of my keys don't respond for a good couple minutes. Meaning I cant even sign in because A S F G H K L have no response to them. I've used compressed air around it, but still doesn't work. They all work after a good few minutes... is this serious where I should have it sent back? Thanks

Korth
12-04-2015, 07:24 PM
It is serious, unless you're happy with a new laptop which doesn't have a working keyboard. If it's new then it should work as good as new, and if it has warranty then the manufacturer/vendor should repair or replace it. If you take it apart yourself the warranty is instantly shot. If you paid for extra coverage then don't be shy to use it. If it's still really, really new and you still have your packaging/receipt/etc you can immediately return it for a full refund simply because you're "dissatisfied with the product" (then immediately buy another one, if you like, lol).

You can probably operate it with a USB keyboard, at least to logon and try downloading keyboard drivers, lol. But lugging around extra hardware peripherals sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a laptop.

I'm thinking there's a fault on the keyscan matrix (a flimsy transparent layer with conductive traces screenprinted onto it). Perhaps it's a defective print, perhaps it has a broken trace from bending, perhaps it's just got a patch of particles/debris or something which interferes with proper electrical contact. Perhaps it just wasn't connected properly, a wire on one of the internal connectors has come loose or somesuch. Perhaps it simply wasn't anchored properly and has slid a little out of alignment. Maybe somebody, somewhere, spilled their drink on that part of the keyboard before it reached you. Maybe they spilled a chemical adhesive or solvent.

One of the keyswitches along the ASDFGHJKL line might be jammed or making intermittent electrical contact. Chances are you'd do more harm than help by attempting to take them apart.

The keyboard controller chip might have a poor solder point which sporadically fails, especially if the device is pressed or twisted during use.

collnc
12-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Ugh I was afraid of that. I just dont want to go through the process of sending it in and not getting it back for a month when its just a minor keyboard issue. It works perfectly fine besides that couple minutes without responding. Could it possibly be just because the laptop is cold when I turn it on? Thank you for you response