PDA

View Full Version : Samsung SM951 SSD 512GB AHCI version works with G752VL

jrich641
12-05-2015, 06:57 AM
Installed a Samsung SM951 SSD 512GB AHCI in G752VL laptop directly out of the box and could see it in bios and windows disk manager (could partition and write files to it), but couldn't install clean copy of windows to it. Used retail windows 10 USB media, verified I was booting uefi mode, tried initing drive both MBR and GPT, but couldn't see SSD drive. Also tried loading AHCI drivers during install from both asus and intel but laptop would crash trying to load drivers.

Ended up installing windows to hard drive, installing Intel Rapid Storage driver so I could see SSD, Paragon Hard Disk manager to clone HD to SSD, removed HD, and was able to boot from SSD. So far no issues.

If anybody was able to do a Windows 10 direct install to a M.2 AHCI or NVMe SSD I would like to know what brand and how.

Thanks

aeolisio
12-05-2015, 07:20 PM
I have been saying for weeks that the sm951 AHCI works with the 752 but people seem to not be able to follow the simple guide i linked. I was able to just clean install on 3 752s that already had the os on a ssd not a hd so that must simplify it.

Julskey
12-06-2015, 12:31 PM
People don't like to follow. They try to make their own way. Hehehe. My G752VT-RH71 will arrive next week. I think I'll go with the SATA3 SSD route and transfer the HDD to the ODD bay. Will just add m.2 ssd's when Kingston/adata/sandisk are already available.

hosedup
12-06-2015, 07:44 PM
My take on this: I did initial research on the 950 Pro and my g752 and found information from aeolisio to be very helpfull. One evening, my wife noticed my research and decided to be Mrs Awesome and bought me a Samsung 950 Pro 512GB SSD for my birthday. I diddnt have the heart to tell her it wasnt going to work. So I figured I would give it a shot seeing how the only information out there was that it wouldn't work, nothing about why or why or whats been tried. For a couple days, I tried this and that, figured out how to make it work and made a post about it hoping others would chime in. G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information) My method of making it work is basically what jrich641 did.....install OS to mechanical drive then image it over to the SSD.

Things to note about this, Samsung Magician does not work correctly because the Samsung driver will not install. Magician sees the model and serial information of the SSD as gibberish. Aeolisio voiced concern about TRIM functionality. I checked and verified that TRIM is functioning using commands described here (http://mywindowshub.com/check-enable-disable-ssd-trim-support-windows-10/)

Personally, im going to stick with the 950 Pro and wait and see how this resolves with Samsung and Asus. I think everyone that has a G752 and a 950 should call both Samsung and Asus tech support and bug them for support on the issue. Might help accelerate a solution.

Dr4g0n36
12-07-2015, 12:09 AM
Sorry for my OT intrusion, someone here has almost in C drive the "eSupport" folder? Need here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81016-G752VT-Driver-request

hunteds911
01-05-2016, 06:28 PM
I have been saying for weeks that the sm951 AHCI works with the 752 but people seem to not be able to follow the simple guide i linked. I was able to just clean install on 3 752s that already had the os on a ssd not a hd so that must simplify it.

The NVMe Samsung SM950 works perfectly as well. I just used the Samsung Data Migration software and it cloned the factory installed Windows 10 over to it with no issues.
I removed the 1TB drive after the clone was complete and the laptop powered down. Booted up fine with the New M.2 drive with no issues.
The Used Disk part to remove all the OS and restore partitions off the 1TB drive. Then created my new volumes.

Really pretty simple actually.

No issues at all here.

But true, most people can't seem to follow directions and make it harder on themselves.