PDA

View Full Version : GL552VW-DH71 What drive for M.2 Slot?

_Speedy
12-11-2015, 01:41 PM
It seems this has been beat to death in the forums for the 752 models, but I have not seen much for the 552. I bought a GL552VW-DH71 and a Samsung 950 pro 512 drive. Could not get them to work together. ASUS support says NVMe is not supported. I have seen other comments for this laptop that some people have used sata drives, but that seems like a step backwards. Can anyone confirm that the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 works in this laptop?

IEDIT:
It appears the SM951 will not work either.
This may be a stupid question, but if a drive does not show up in the BIOS, it will never work, or will loading the proper driver cause the BIOS to see it?

emejay
12-20-2015, 06:25 AM
I just picked this laptop up a couple of weeks ago and I've been doing research on m.2 ssds. I haven't yet picked an ssd drive yet, however, I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on a samsung sm951 as I'm relatively sure the ahci version of this drive will work. After spending the better part of a day on the phone with Asus' tech support I've confirmed 1) that the laptop supports pci-e but does not suppport sata, and 2) that it does not support nvme drives, only ahci ssd drives.

The samsung 950 drives are apparently all nvme, this is why they apparently don't work. The sm 951 drives have an ahci and a nvme model, so depending on the model you order it may or may not work.

Anyway, I've been struggling to find info in order to make an informed purchase, so I hope that this post is helpful for someone.

Edit: it appears that some people have gotten sata ssds, such as the samsung 850 evo or the crucial mx200 to work in this laptop so Asus tech support may not have been correct when they told me that it doesn't support sata m.2 ssd drives.

daselby
12-20-2015, 01:25 PM
I just recently bought the ACHI version of the sm951 and I can't get the laptop to recognize it either.

Here is a link to what I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147425

I've been on with Asus support multiple times and the latest time they gave me the following instructions:

1. Go to BIOS >> Advance Settings
2. Change SATA Mode to IDE/AHCI (backward compatible) in PCI Storage Configuration
3. Set SATA Support to All Devices
4. Enable CSM and set

Boot Device control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot from Storage Devices: Legacy Only
Boot from Network Devices: Legacy Only
Boot from PCI-E/PCE Expansion Devices: UEFI Driver First

5. Disable Secure Boot (Set to Other OS)
6. Set Booting Order: 1st priority M.2 SSD 2280, 2nd DVD-ROM
7. Install Windows at selecting disk step, at drive option, delete any partition of M.2 SSD

If the M.2 SSD is not showing in the BIOS then you will need to try a different M.2 SSD.

************************************************** ********************************************
Unfortunately, right after they gave this to me I got disconnected.

Also unfortunately, the above directions assume that when you hit F2 to enter the BIOS that it enters the ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility which my GL552VW-DH71 does not......and my bios does not have the options to follow the directions above. Does anyone know how to edit the options listed above? If I can edit these options I might be able to get my SM951......but so far .....no luck.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help as we all would like to put this issue to bed.

Thanks!

Clintlgm
12-20-2015, 02:24 PM
It appears that there are 2 different motherboard for these GL notebooks with the one from Canada being SATA and the US one being NVMe. I believe I seen this in the GL 752 thread of the same issue on M.2 SSD You might want to check out that thread.

PM cl-albert he is ASUS and is working on this issue

_Speedy
12-21-2015, 03:53 PM
This is what I've come up with so far:
Tried the Samsung 950 pro (NMVe). Didn't work. Was told by tech support that the m.2 slot only supported SATA drives.
Tried the Samsung SM951 (ACHI). Didn't work. Was told by tech support that the m.2 slot only supports NVMe drives, and was sent a link to the Samsung 950 pro on amazon. Also said needs to be a Gen4 drive.

He also told me the SSD that ships with this laptop is : 128 GB M.2 SSD (Samsung MZNLF128HCHP) which appears to be a SATA drive.

Yet he did insist a Samsung 950 pro would work as long as it was GEN4 (x4) He then gave me some BIOS settings to set that do not exist on my BIOS. He then recommended I wait a few weeks for a BIOS update. (Really coming? who knows)

Current plan: ordered a 2.5" SDD to use until the dust settles. Really kind of disappointed so far....

emejay
12-21-2015, 06:27 PM
I think I'm going to order a SATA based m.2 drive to try, there are a number of reviews from people on Amazon and Newegg that have gotten SATA m.2 drives to work so it might be worth rolling the dice. The performance won't be in the same league as an NVME drive but it will be significantly cheaper so it kind of balances out - as long as it works, of course.

I'm generally a big fan of Asus products (my desktop mobo and video card are both Asus) but I'm really disappointed in the in the information that they've put out about this laptop. Overall this laptop is a great value, however I think it's inexcusable to not provide basic information about compatibility, particularly when the expandability is a selling feature of the laptop. It's no excuse to say that m.2 is a new technology as I used an Asus Z-97 mobo in the fall of 2014 to build my desktop system and I was able to find enough information to set up a Plextor m.2 PCI-E x2 drive for the system. It would be one thing if the problem was that specific m.2 drives don't work, however, Asus can't even definitively tell us what types of drive work - even worse we get conflicting answers from their tech support staff. This feels like a failure between the marketing and engineering departments and I'm confused as to why this hasn't been solved yet months after the laptop was released. I'm frustrated and this experience will likely affect my future hardware purchases.

cl-Albert@ROG
12-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Hi emejay, replied to your PM, but am unable to email, so you may either want to send me PMs through the ROG forums, or post your questions.
Anyway, hope it's okay to share some of your questions below (if not, let me know and I can edit) and my answers with others.

Hi,

I recently purchased an ASUS GL552VW-DH71 and I want to put an m.2 ssd drive in to the empty slot - I've been on the phone with ASUS tech support a few times and I've been reading the forums but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on what m.2 ssd drives are compatible or not...

Some of the information that I'm hoping to clear up:

1. are there different motherboards for GL552VW-DH71 (depending on country) or are they all the same for the same model number? If they are different, what type of M.2 compatibility is in place for the Canadian model?

Normally different countries don't sell the same full model names, but the U.S. and Canada are both part of the 'North America' region and are selling the exact same GL552VW-DH71 model in both countries in this case.
We can use different motherboards for the GL552VW models that we internally identify as 'SATA' or 'PCIE' and I'm showing that the GL552VW-DH71 model is using 'SATA' motherboards for the M.2 slot.

Customers with other GL552VW models will need to figure out which kind of motherboard they have first and the kind of M.2 SSDs it supports.

Edit 7/25/17: For those with the GL552VW-BB71-CB sold in Canada, it also supports only SATA3 M.2 SSDs as mentioned at the post below.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94884-Anyone-else-have-this-GL552VW-model-BB71-CB-M-2-support

genkvg
01-29-2016, 01:40 PM
Hi everybody!
After a few weeks of correspondence with the ASUS Technical Support
I received the following insider information about SSDs tested on GL552VW:
SSD P3X4 256GB M2 2280 NVME //SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000
SSD P3X4 512GB M2 2280 NVME //SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000
SSD SATA3 128GB M.2 2280 //SAMSUNG/MZNLF128HCHP-00004
SSD SATA3 128GM.2 2280/20200L00 //HYNIX/HFS128G39MNC-2300A
SSD SATA3 256GB M.2 2280 //HYNIX/HFS256G39MND-2200A
SSD SATA3 256GB M.2 2280 //SANDISK/SD7SN6S-256G
SSD S3 256GB M.2 2280/20300L00 //HYNIX/HFS256G39MND-2300A

These SSDs were tested on BIOS ver. 209.

JustinThyme
01-29-2016, 03:14 PM
I dont understand how this could be true. M2 PCIe and M2 SATA III are different protocols. In my G752 I can only use a PCIe Gen 3 NVMe drive, SATA drives wont work period. Even has PCIE ONLY silkscreened on the board so people wont put M2 SATA drives in there.
Has anyone bothered to look in device manager under storage controllers and see whats there? This should give you some clue.

genkvg
02-02-2016, 08:09 AM
I dont understand how this could be true. M2 PCIe and M2 SATA III are different protocols. In my G752 I can only use a PCIe Gen 3 NVMe drive, SATA drives wont work period. Even has PCIE ONLY silkscreened on the board so people wont put M2 SATA drives in there.
Has anyone bothered to look in device manager under storage controllers and see whats there? This should give you some clue.
As far as I know, OS (no matter what OS you use now) lists only the protocol supported by the device used (that is installed in M.2).
OS do not know any information about unused devices until a device and its driver installed correctly!
This (software) approach is not appropriate in our case because M.2 in practice can support both data transfer modes - PCIe3 x4 & SATA3.
The most rigorous pathway to answer your question: in laboratory (not by OS or, most funny, by third party programs that took specifications from internet garbage), using various testers, testing contacts of MB connecting North bridge and M.2.

cl-Albert@ROG
02-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Hi everybody!

Thanks for the information, but that list should be the combined SSDs for for both types ('SATA' and 'PCIE') of GL552VW motherboard and not just by 1 motherboard type or system.
If your ASUS contacts didn't already know this, you may want to ask them to confirm there are at least 2 different types of motherboards used (1 type of mb for SATA3 M.2 SSDs and 1 type of mb for PCIe M.2 SSDs) for the GL552VW model.

If you already have a GL552VW unit and don't have a better way to identify the type of motherboard, your local ASUS support should be able to check this from the serial number to tell you what kind of M.2 SSDs are supported.

genkvg
02-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the information, but that list should be the combined SSDs for for both types ('SATA' and 'PCIE') of GL552VW motherboard and not just by 1 motherboard type or system.
If your ASUS contacts didn't already know this, you may want to ask them to confirm there are at least 2 different types of motherboards used (1 type of mb for SATA3 M.2 SSDs and 1 type of mb for PCIe M.2 SSDs) for the GL552VW model.

If you already have a GL552VW unit and don't have a better way to identify the type of motherboard, your local ASUS support should be able to check this from the serial number to tell you what kind of M.2 SSDs are supported.

Yes, I know that the most simple way to confirm the compatibility of M.2 is to check the serial number of notebook by ASUS support service.
At this moment I have three identical answers (from different ASUS workers) from ASUS support describing that M.2 on my GL552VW-DM321T support both PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 3 devices.
Taking into consideration SATA Express Interface Architecture (https://www.sata-io.org/sites/default/files/documents/NVMe%20and%20AHCI%20as%20SATA%20Express%20Interfac e%20Options%20-%20Whitepaper_.pdf), it is possible, it is not fantastic. However, the most rigorous way to test the compatibility of M.2 is the laboratory testing. I can do such testings by myself, but if I do so, I'll lost notebook warranty.

Simon.Grondin
02-29-2016, 06:18 AM
Was this ever resolved short of calling ASUS support with your PC's Serial Number?

JustinThyme
02-29-2016, 01:44 PM
As far as I know, OS (no matter what OS you use now) lists only the protocol supported by the device used (that is installed in M.2).
OS do not know any information about unused devices until a device and its driver installed correctly!
This (software) approach is not appropriate in our case because M.2 in practice can support both data transfer modes - PCIe3 x4 & SATA3.
The most rigorous pathway to answer your question: in laboratory (not by OS or, most funny, by third party programs that took specifications from internet garbage), using various testers, testing contacts of MB connecting North bridge and M.2.

Sorry Brother, that statement is 100% incorrect.

The Device in the M2 is supported by the drive controller that resides on the motherboard that in turn interfaces with the chipset and maybe raid controller too regardless of OS. You either have NVMe or an AHCI SATA Controller, never the twain shall meet on a single connection.

North Bridge on motherboards is so ten years ago. They used to be memory controller and AGP traffic as well as PCI traffic. AGP no longer exists and memory and PCIe are now handled directly by the CPU. Only the South Bridge, AKA Chipset, remians and handles everything else.

dansan
02-29-2016, 06:30 PM
have the same machine, after reading all the back and forth i decided to just go with the SATA version. grabbed the samsung 850 evo, 250gb and worked without a problem.

WoutD
03-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Hi everybody!

I've tested my GL552VW-CN108T (European version) with BIOS 216, but the Samsung NVMe SSD doesn't work. I'm now going to try if the AHCI version of the Samsung SM951 will work...

_Speedy
03-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Not having checked this for a bit, I had hoped for more info/less confusion.

Just as a point of reference, I tried the Samsung MZHPV512HGDL-00000.

It did not work.

Simon.Grondin
03-09-2016, 05:20 AM
With all the confusion and lack of solid answers I ended up going with the Samsung Evo 850. Adding it as the primary drive was an adventure. Samsung migration didn't work since my PC detected two drives with the same letter. I ended up breaking the boots and had to go with a clean install on the new drive. Probably for the best anyways.

Overall I'm a little disappointing by the lack of support by ASUS and their advertising it as a PCIe.

jrbdmb
03-10-2016, 06:10 PM
I installed a Samsung 850 EVO m.2 (SATA) on my new Asus GL552-DH71 last night. The laptop immediately recognized it and I was able to use the Samsung utility to clone the OS over to the SSD.

I wish Asus would update their product information on this, as it is causing a lot of confusion. But I will say that I have not yet seen a post from anyone who has successfully put a PCIe m.2 SSD into this laptop. If somebody has done so, please let the rest of us know. :)

Cheetah
03-10-2016, 10:55 PM
I'm trying to find out if a Samsung 950 Pro ssd will work in my G751 JT.
Anybody tried this card in a G751 JT?

karlos.dt
03-14-2016, 02:30 AM
I found this on my GL552VW-DM464T. I hope this helps.

kutzki
08-21-2016, 10:45 PM
So, what's happening? How is there not just a LIST dedicated to TESTED, and WORKING SSD's for GL552VW-DH71 (I got the Canadian version if that makes a difference, idk what the heck is happening) XD

ally827
11-22-2016, 07:27 AM
My Asus GL552VW suport only M2 SATA SSD (I ahave same mesage o the back ). I have just instaled a SSD - Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 (2280) CT275MX300SSD4 , and it works perfectly.

Link below.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-275GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSDJ0

chauduyphanvu
12-05-2016, 12:35 AM
Has anyone had success with the 500GB versions of your SSDs? Still haven't gotten any confirmation on whether the machine would take 500GB, because mine doesn't recognize it (bought the Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)). Checked in BIOS and disabled all the secure & fast boot options, saw other boot options such as the CDROM one, but haven't seen the SSD. Used the Samsung Magician tool as well as diskpart, and neither of them recognized the SSD. Removed the HDD hoping a boot option for the SSD would show up, but that didn't accomplish anything.

Any suggestions/insights? Should I buy the 256GB version and test with one?

cl-Albert@ROG
12-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Has anyone had success with the 500GB versions of your SSDs? Still haven't gotten any confirmation on whether the machine would take 500GB, because mine doesn't recognize it (bought the Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)). Checked in BIOS and disabled all the secure & fast boot options, saw other boot options such as the CDROM one, but haven't seen the SSD. Used the Samsung Magician tool as well as diskpart, and neither of them recognized the SSD. Removed the HDD hoping a boot option for the SSD would show up, but that didn't accomplish anything.

Any suggestions/insights? Should I buy the 256GB version and test with one?

chauduyphanvu, saw your PM and just wanted to confirm you saw the GL552VW-DH71 model name printed under your notebook, otherwise feel free to send me a PM with your serial number if you want to confirm which motherboard it is using for M.2 SSDs.

Although you may have done this already, just wanted to confirm the bios detected the Samsung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSD drive under the 'advanced' SATA settings and not under the 'Boot' menu which would not happen until you actually installed an operating system on the M.2 SSD (the bios is 'smart' and will not list any non-bootable drives in the boot menu, or in the case of optical drives, it doesn't list those unless a bootable disk is in the optical drive if you want to check this out to understand how the bios boot menu works, but make sure you put the disk in the drive before going into the bios, or reboot to give the system a chance to detect it).

People are sometimes confused by these 2 different areas in the bios where the drive would be detected, but if you don't see the drive detected in the 'advanced' SATA settings, the notebook is not seeing the drive plugged into the unit, so you want to resolve this first if it's necessary.

have the same machine, after reading all the back and forth i decided to just go with the SATA version. grabbed the samsung 850 evo, 250gb and worked without a problem.

We may want to get confirmation from others who have been able to get the Samung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSDs working, but if the 250Gb version works as dansan reported earlier, expecting the 500Gb version would as well unless there are some important changes we are not aware of, so consider re-seating or inspecting your drive just to make sure everything looks okay if the bios doesn't even detect it under the 'advanced' settings.

Hopefully others have more information about this drive since I don't unfortunately.

Thanks.

chauduyphanvu
12-08-2016, 02:37 AM
chauduyphanvu, saw your PM and just wanted to confirm you saw the GL552VW-DH71 model name printed under your notebook, otherwise feel free to send me a PM with your serial number if you want to confirm which motherboard it is using for M.2 SSDs.

Although you may have done this already, just wanted to confirm the bios detected the Samsung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSD drive under the 'advanced' SATA settings and not under the 'Boot' menu which would not happen until you actually installed an operating system on the M.2 SSD (the bios is 'smart' and will not list any non-bootable drives in the boot menu, or in the case of optical drives, it doesn't list those unless a bootable disk is in the optical drive if you want to check this out to understand how the bios boot menu works, but make sure you put the disk in the drive before going into the bios, or reboot to give the system a chance to detect it).

People are sometimes confused by these 2 different areas in the bios where the drive would be detected, but if you don't see the drive detected in the 'advanced' SATA settings, the notebook is not seeing the drive plugged into the unit, so you want to resolve this first if it's necessary.

We may want to get confirmation from others who have been able to get the Samung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSDs working, but if the 250Gb version works as dansan reported earlier, expecting the 500Gb version would as well unless there are some important changes we are not aware of, so consider re-seating or inspecting your drive just to make sure everything looks okay if the bios doesn't even detect it under the 'advanced' settings.

Hopefully others have more information about this drive since I don't unfortunately.

Thanks.

Thanks for looking into this. If the SSD doesn't show up anywhere (not even under the Advanced in BIOS) how can I install an OS on it so that it would show up as bootable in BIOS? I booted from a Windows 10 DVD, but all the computer recognizes is my HDD and its partitions. So there's no way to know for sure what's going on. I'm trying with a second SSD now, PCIe, since my motherboard is one-keyed, but this second SSD also is not recognized. Wondering what's going on. Both SSDs are 512GB so far. A 256GB SATA version will be arriving in a couple days, so I will test that as well as the last resort.

My second SSD is the MZVPV512HDGL listed here (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81143-GL552VW-DH71-What-drive-for-M-2-Slot&p=570073&viewfull=1#post570073).

cl-Albert@ROG
12-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Yes, if the M.2 SSD is not detected by the unit in the bios (as long as we're looking in the right place), it's as if the device is not even plugged in, so don't expect you will see it in Windows or be able to install an OS, and something we normally want to solve first.

Unfortunately, haven't been able to check a GL552VW unit if it matters, so wondering if I might be missing something, but you may also want to look for other bios settings under the 'advanced' menu that may list SATA3 M.2 drives somewhere other than the SATA Configuration sub-menu. If you don't see the drive in Windows Disk Management or diskpart though, it agrees with what you've seen in the bios so far.

There is a screw to secure the M.2 SSD to the unit after you plug it in, so just wanted to make sure there were no problems to install this screw which should help confirm that you have plugged it in correctly.
It could be a defective connector, but not something I usually hear much about, so would want to check everything else first.

Since you're going to get a 256Gb SATA3 M.2 drive to test soon, we may just want to wait for this if there isn't anything else to check, but the second PCIe M.2 SSD that you listed and tried isn't going to work in your unit since the serial number you sent me confirms it only works with SATA3 M.2 SSDs.

If it wasn't clear, that list of drives for the GL552VW that you linked to in this thread was the combined list for both the PCIe and SATA3 GL552VW motherboards, so one GL552VW motherboard will not be able to support all of those drives. It would have been better to list the PCIe and SATA3 drives separately for each type of GL552VW motherboard, but internally our information is listed this way.
Thanks.

chauduyphanvu
12-14-2016, 02:55 AM
Yes, if the M.2 SSD is not detected by the unit in the bios (as long as we're looking in the right place), it's as if the device is not even plugged in, so don't expect you will see it in Windows or be able to install an OS, and something we normally want to solve first.

Unfortunately, haven't been able to check a GL552VW unit if it matters, so wondering if I might be missing something, but you may also want to look for other bios settings under the 'advanced' menu that may list SATA3 M.2 drives somewhere other than the SATA Configuration sub-menu. If you don't see the drive in Windows Disk Management or diskpart though, it agrees with what you've seen in the bios so far.

There is a screw to secure the M.2 SSD to the unit after you plug it in, so just wanted to make sure there were no problems to install this screw which should help confirm that you have plugged it in correctly.
It could be a defective connector, but not something I usually hear much about, so would want to check everything else first.

Since you're going to get a 256Gb SATA3 M.2 drive to test soon, we may just want to wait for this if there isn't anything else to check, but the second PCIe M.2 SSD that you listed and tried isn't going to work in your unit since the serial number you sent me confirms it only works with SATA3 M.2 SSDs.

If it wasn't clear, that list of drives for the GL552VW that you linked to in this thread was the combined list for both the PCIe and SATA3 GL552VW motherboards, so one GL552VW motherboard will not be able to support all of those drives. It would have been better to list the PCIe and SATA3 drives separately for each type of GL552VW motherboard, but internally our information is listed this way.
Thanks.

Albert and all,

Thanks for the assistance! Good news - finally everything is working out. You were right, the 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD that arrived was recognized by BIOS. I went ahead and installed the OS there without much hassle. Not sure how other people got their BIOS to recognize 500 GB of SSD, but 250 right now will do.

Thanks again,
Vu

cl-Albert@ROG
12-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Vu, glad to hear you could get it working and thanks for the update. Don't really know that much about it myself and I may be wrong, but would expect there should be 512Gb SATA3 M.2 SSDs that would work too although probably not something you want to worry about more right now.

moonshadow88
12-15-2016, 07:34 AM
Vu, glad to hear you could get it working and thanks for the update. Don't really know that much about it myself and I may be wrong, but would expect there should be 512Gb SATA3 M.2 SSDs that would work too although probably not something you want to worry about more right now.

I had no issues with samsung 850 evo 500Gb with my gl-552...

wqdfe
12-22-2016, 07:38 AM
im glad that my gl552vw has a nvme ssd,
this is the model number SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDGL.
256gb of sm951.
and this is my test picture.
im in iran.

jdesignz
12-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Hi all. I'm Jhay new here. Just bought mine GL552VX-DM076T last week. I'm planning to upgrade to SSD as well, but turn out there's some confusion sata vs m.2 types. And now as I google and saw this thread that NVME's doesn't work on some of you VW users as I have VX model so not sure what to get tho I want to try NVME's than sata. Thanks and Happy Holidays to all

Jhay, Philippines

YKLIM
12-29-2016, 03:40 AM
Hi all, I had upgarde my BIOS to the latest version but my Intel Solid State m.2 600p series 256GB SSD still not showing out, any solution to this?

Thank you

dinoshan
01-01-2017, 05:03 AM
maybe you could try this...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89672-950-pro-on-m-2-for-gl552vw-dh71-or-sata-m2

sayantanguharoy
01-07-2017, 06:41 AM
hello folks

in India two different version gl552 available. one is gl552vw and other gl552vx(which is lower price).
and gl552vx support pcie x4 ssd as per asus india website

link : https://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks/ROG-GL552VX/specifications/

:-)

jdesignz
01-10-2017, 08:09 PM
hello folks

in India two different version gl552 available. one is gl552vw and other gl552vx(which is lower price).
and gl552vx support pcie x4 ssd as per asus india website

link : https://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks/ROG-GL552VX/specifications/

:-)

Yes, same as here found out just today. Hope it will work fine

Thanks!

cl-Albert@ROG
01-10-2017, 09:28 PM
Hi all. I'm Jhay new here. Just bought mine GL552VX-DM076T last week. I'm planning to upgrade to SSD as well, but turn out there's some confusion sata vs m.2 types. And now as I google and saw this thread that NVME's doesn't work on some of you VW users as I have VX model so not sure what to get tho I want to try NVME's than sata. Thanks and Happy Holidays to all

Jhay, Philippines

Hi Jhay,

I'm located in the U.S. and we don't sell the GL552VX model here unfortunately, so am not as familiar with it.
If possible, try to confirm with your local ASUS support or maybe your store if possible, but from the serial number you sent me, the motherboard indicates 'SATA' which would make me think you can only use SATA3 M.2 SSDs for your unit, but you may want to investigate more if I'm wrong about that.

If you read my post #7 in this thread about the GL552VW though, the GL552VW models can use 2 different types or motherboards to support either SATA3 M.2 SSDs or PCIe M.2 SSDs, but the same GL552VW motherboard cannot support both at the same time, so if your GL552VX is similar, you need to figure out which motherboard you have and I've provided my feedback about it already .

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81143-GL552VW-DH71-What-drive-for-M-2-Slot

Also, just a reminder to mention the full model name like you did for your GL552VX-DM076T to be sure of the specifications since there are many versions of the GL552VX.

Hope this helps and makes sense.
Sorry it couldn't be easier!

Sincerely,

Albert

kluverua
03-22-2017, 09:22 PM
I have model ZX50VW-MS71 which is based on ROG GL552VW.
Can confirm that it compatible with Samsung 850 EVO M.2 MZ-N5E250BW.
Hope this information can help someone. I spend 3 days to figure this out...

teksas
04-27-2017, 08:43 PM
samsung 850 EVO 250gb SHOULD NOT PROBLEM MY GL552VW :cool:

DarthVader87
08-07-2019, 07:43 AM
It seems this has been beat to death in the forums for the 752 models, but I have not seen much for the 552. I bought a GL552VW-DH71 and a Samsung 950 pro 512 drive. Could not get them to work together. ASUS support says NVMe is not supported. I have seen other comments for this laptop that some people have used sata drives, but that seems like a step backwards. Can anyone confirm that the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 works in this laptop?

IEDIT:
It appears the SM951 will not work either.
This may be a stupid question, but if a drive does not show up in the BIOS, it will never work, or will loading the proper driver cause the BIOS to see it?

I have an GL552VW-DH71 laptop and was looking for an SSD upgrade since didnt come with one. I bought my laptop in amazon US and I read this thread about the compatibility of both SSDs. I can certify that the Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB M.2 SATA Internal SSD (MZ-N6E250BW) works perfectly on the laptop which leads to belive that if you are looking for an SSD upgrade for this laptop you have to get a M.2 SSD SATA drive and not the NVME I think NVme was a little too new when these laptop came out so I think only certain models are compatible with the NVme drives, the rest are SATA compatible. I thought I should share this. cheers

elvedhel
12-29-2019, 12:30 PM
I have the VX version of GL522. clearly states on back only supports SATA m2 ( not MVIe ) as I found out when I stuck a 500gb MVIe SSD in and nothing found.

what I cant find anywhere is if a 500gb SATA m2 drive will work such as WD blue 500gb 3d NAND or the Crucial MX500 . its really not worth me upgrading the current 128gb to only 256gb . minimum would be 500gb though the WD blue 1TB sata m2 would be great. downside is no performance increase compared to the read / writes of an MVIe M2 drive but capacity is my big issue as im constantly struggling with space on the 128gb boot drive.
"
really is frustrating that theres no clear information hat states "maximum capacity" yes I can clearly find how much maximum ram the system will take so why doesn't asus list the same for storage.

elvedhel
01-03-2020, 06:25 PM
I can confirm the crucial MX500 500gb Sata m.2 SSD works 100% fine.. comes with link for acronis true image, cloned boot drive ( 128gb SSD ) onto the crucial 500gb ( external case off amazon for a tenner ) , took around 5 minutes to clone.. took out 128gb ssd. stuck in 500gb crucial ssd.. booted and working perfectly.. happy days.