PDA

View Full Version : G501JW - problem with Intel HD Graphics Driver

SamSimon
12-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Hi all!

I am experiencing some issues with the Intel HD Graphics drivers. I bought the laptop a few months ago and it had Windows 8 on it. I almost immediately upgraded to Windows 10. Apart from the problem of the screen halo (see my other thread, and the problem seems to be solved by the BIOS update), the laptop has worked well so far.

But lately the following is happening: sometimes the screen freezes for a while, then it unfreezes and an error message appears, something like "The Intel HD Graphic driver for Windows 8 has stopped working and it has restarted".

The problem seems to me that the driver assumes that I'm using Windows 8, but in fact I'm using Windows 10. So... how can I "tell" my laptop?

Thank you for your help!

cl-Albert
12-11-2015, 09:57 PM
Hi,

If you haven't seen them and want to try them, the ASUS G501JW download site has drivers for Win10 posted which includes vga drivers.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G501JW/HelpDesk_Download/

Installing Windows Updates and restarting is another idea if the first suggestion doesn't work, but hoping those driver updates on the ASUS download site can help.

If you're really paranoid like me, you may want to back-up first just in case things don't go smoothly.

Good luck!

SamSimon
12-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Thank you Albert. I installed the lastest Intel HD Graphics driver from the website that you linked in your post. First, the installer warned me that I had more up-to-date drivers in my computer already. Second, even after I installed the drivers and restarted the computer, after a while I got the same error again.

Any other idea? :--/

cl-Albert
12-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Hi SamSimon,

Unfortunately, don't have other great ideas right now, so you may want to ask around more, but a few more ideas are below.

Also, may be hit and miss, but consider checking with your local ASUS support or maybe your store just to see if they have happened to have heard of it from other G501JW Win8.1 customers, etc.
http://www.asus.com/support/callus

1. Since your model uses both Intel and NVidia graphics (which may be 'working with each other' to some extent), thought you may also want to upgrade (or downgrade?) to the NVidia vga driver posted on the ASUS G501JW download site just to see if it makes any difference.
1a. You may want to confirm with your local ASUS support or store if possible, but not expecting customers who purchased the G501JW units that came preinstalled with Win10 to have this problem, so you might also want to install some of the other Win10 drivers/software posted on the ASUS download site like the ATK driver or maybe Splendid software if you are using it (or just uninstall it if you don't use it?) that could be related to this.
1b. Unfortunately, I'm not that great at troubleshooting software issues, but if you could find someone to help you figure out what is causing that error, it should help of course. Thinking there could also be other software that you have installed that might be related to it if you have some way to look into this?

2. Don't like suggesting bios updates when it's not certain they can help, but it is something just to keep in mind when nothing else works. Just be aware that there is always that (small?) possibility that you system may no longer work and needs to be sent back for repair if something serious should go wrong with a bios update (I may worry a bit too much, but bios update failures do occur occasionally).

Good luck and apologize I don't have better suggestions right now although hopefully they can still help.

AlexB121
12-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Do a clean install of windows 10 pro log to windows with wifi off and install install all the drivers that are on the site then u reboot and turn on wifi and u should be ok i just did it 2 weeks ago and have no issue all drivers installed including thunderbolt everything works with no problem if u need the
drivers let me know i have a zip file with all latest files i saved them when i clean installed mine

SamSimon
12-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Thank you Asus121. I kinda hoped that a simpler way to solve the problem was possible. I don't think I want to go through a full re-install of Windows 10 right now... :--(

Mochammad Mirsha
12-21-2015, 04:41 PM
did everybody got the sameproblem? or just a few user (inculding me)?
i my self decided to roll back to win 8.1 till the bug (yes, i thought its a bug of win 10 update) fix by intel.
it works well with win 8.1, no freeze, no error. and I still got update notification of win 10 but i decide to not update it yet.

ps : as i remember i got that intel hd problem after i got new update of win 10. may be somepeople that didnt get the same problem havent update the windows yet. but it just my opinion thou

cl-Albert
12-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks to dw4sho for the post and not sure if it can help for this G501JW issue, but they reported at the thread below that the problem was related to the latest nVidia driver, so if possible, you may want to uninstall it, or go back to the NVidia driver version posted on the ASUS download site to see if it makes any difference?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81389-Intel-gfx-driver-crash-on-G551

AlexB121
12-24-2015, 01:13 PM
I never upgrade i save and backup all stuff i need and just go with clean install its not that hard if u have all the drivers needed it takes 15 minutes so y not thats just my opinion

SamSimon
03-31-2016, 02:41 PM
I have an update on this issue. Now the error message that I get is something like "application has been blocked from accessing graphics".

It seems that the HD Intel graphics is still not working properly. I downloaded the HD Intel software to automatically update the drivers, but it is unable to do so.

maf23
03-31-2016, 09:37 PM
Go to Intel Site for the newest drivers. ASUS site is several months behind. Open the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel for link to Intel site and select your chipset/operating system. There is even a beta version you can try as well.