PDA

View Full Version : Line input software issue. on G751JY

muphybird
12-13-2015, 06:19 PM
I can't seem to get the G751 to recognize a cable plugged into line in. When I go into the audio control panel, line in doesn't even
show as a device, and doesn't show in device manager. When I put a line out plug from my desktop computer into the line in of the G751, the audio control panel pops up, asking are you connecting to microphone or back speakers, but doesn't know what input I've plugged into. I've checked and double checked my Realtek drivers and they are up to date. Because many laptops don't have a line in, is it possible the software is missing the necessary drivers. Is anyone with this model having the same problem? Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Gps3dx
12-13-2015, 08:26 PM
Guide: How to Enable Line-In @Realtek Audio manager
on G751 Serie Laptops

disclaimer:
I DID test this method with a my mp3 player and it worked- NEVERTHELESS READ:
I DO NOT know if the G751 serie was designed, at all,
to handle audio input from "strong electric" external source !
You, alone, out of your own volition, MUST decide, if you want to "risk it".
I will NOT accept any blame.

I think I found a way to "FORCE" the Realtek driver to enable Line-In function - in the SOFTWARE SENSE.
I only made the following little registry changes - and got Line in feature working !

Few notes:

I tried that on G751JT (non-Gsync)
I use Win10 x64 Home.
I use Realtek "Audio Driver Version" 6.0.1.7576"
( you can see that using "Realtek HD Audio Manager" -> cog-wheel -> under "about"
Using a 3.5mm male-to-male cable I connect my SanDisk Sansa mp3 player to the G751JT.

I got the Original idea FROM THIS SOURCE (http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/), THIS (http://www.overclock.net/t/378475/realtek-hd-audio-manager-universal-jack-retasking-ip35-pro-xe), AND THIS (http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/2197-realtek-hd-changing-jack-output-reassignments-fix.html) - Please enter these links and see that Line in HEX value is only with zeros.
EDIT: Found another source (http://www.overclock.net/t/378475/realtek-hd-audio-manager-universal-jack-retasking-ip35-pro-xe/30#post_24387479) which complete this guide as TESTED BY ME !!!

Take any audio cable OUT OF THE G751 AUDIO SOCKET !
( This step will make steps 3-5 easier for you to recognize the right registry value to modify )
Then, using REGEDIT go into that folder:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\Settings\Drv7576_DevType_0668_S S104312ff
The last "Drv" folder name might be different on your laptop.
BACKUP THE "Drv" FOLDER !!!!
right click on that folder -> export to somewhere safe !
** This way you can "play" with the registry values without any fear - cause you can always wipe this folder and "restore" all this folder using this backup.
Then, DEPENDING on which plugs you got in which audio socket - you should see BINARY value named "PinXX" ( while XX is a number ) with different HEX values of 4 pairs of numbers ( E.I 04 00 00 00 )
( Look into the SOURCE LINKS I posted above to UNDERSTAND what these HEX values represent !!! )
Delete any "PinXX" ( XX=number ) from that folder.
** DO NOT WORRY - when you'll connect any audio connetor again to any socket - these "PinXX" registry values will be recreated by the system.
Insert the Line-IN connector to the audio socket you wish ( DO NOT insert any other connectors, yet )
In REGEDIT - click "REFRESH" ( press F5 ) -> Watch for any NEWLY CREATED "PinXX" -> this is the "PinXX" that you need to modify in the next step.
Double Click the PinXX you know you've inserted you Line-In connector into - then change its HEX value to "00 00 00 00".
FROM THIS MOMENT ON - DO NOT TAKE OUT THE LINE-IN CONNECTOR OUT OF THAT AUDIO SOCKET !!!
EXCHANGE the "PKEY_RtLineInWave" with whatever "PKEY_******" was there before in that audio socket.
Example: I had my Line-In connect in the middle socket which is also the "mic-in".
Thus, I exchanged the values of "PKEY_RtMicInWave" with the value of "PKEY_RtLineInWave".
** Exchange = value of some "A" you put in "B", and value of "B" you put in "A"
(Optional) Reconnect any other audio connectors you had in the OTHER sockets.
DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET ( Wifi, Eth, cellular etc... ) - and even better: enable "plane mode"
REBOOT - TO - ENABLE - CHANGES !!!!! ( MAKE SURE YOU PERFORM 10th Step BEFORE reboot )
A reboot is a must have - because during boot windows will install a "line in" driver from its already realtek pack of drivers.
After reboot, when you open realtek audio manager you should see a NEW "Line In" feature, enabled.

You can restore internet connectivity - but NOTE the next step !
Please note that when you TAKE OUT THE CABLE OUT OF THE SOCKET and put it back to the same socket - the Realtek Audio Manager DOES NOT recognize this connection as Line IN.
Solution: you MUST reboot again !!!! ( make sure registry is as should be )

Proof of Concept:

Please TEST this method - and report back here -Thanks !
Credits: THIS SOURCE (http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/), THIS (http://www.overclock.net/t/378475/realtek-hd-audio-manager-universal-jack-retasking-ip35-pro-xe), THIS (http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/2197-realtek-hd-changing-jack-output-reassignments-fix.html) and THIS SOURCE (http://www.overclock.net/t/378475/realtek-hd-audio-manager-universal-jack-retasking-ip35-pro-xe/30#post_24387479)

muphybird
12-13-2015, 10:25 PM
Guide: How to Enable Line-In @Realtek Audio manager
on G751 Serie Laptops

disclaimer:
I DID NOT tested this with a REAL Line-IN!
I DO NOT know if the G751 serie can, at all, Handle audio input from external source !
You, alone, out of your own volition, MUST decide, if you want to "risk it".
I will NOT accept any blame.

I think I found a way to "FORCE" the Realtek driver to enable Line-In function - in the SOFTWARE SENSE.
I only made the following little registry changes - and got Line in feature working !

Few notes:

I tried that on G751JT (non-Gsync)
I use Win10 x64 Home.
I use Realtek "Audio Driver Version" 6.0.1.7576"
( you can see that using "Realtek HD Audio Manager" -> cog-wheel -> under "about"

I got the Original idea FROM THIS SOURCE (http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/), THIS (http://www.overclock.net/t/378475/realtek-hd-audio-manager-universal-jack-retasking-ip35-pro-xe), AND THIS (http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/2197-realtek-hd-changing-jack-output-reassignments-fix.html) - Please enter these links and see that Line in HEX value is only with zeros.

Take any audio cable OUT OF THE G751 AUDIO SOCKET !
( This step will make steps 3-5 easier for you to recognize the right registry value to modify )
Then, using REGEDIT go into that folder:
The last "Drv" folder name might be different on your laptop.
Then, DEPENDING on which plugs you got in which audio socket - you should see BINARY value named "PinXX" ( while XX is a number ) with different HEX values of 4 pairs of numbers ( E.I 04 00 00 00 )
( Look into the SOURCE LINKS I posted above to UNDERSTAND what these HEX values represent !!! )
Delete any "PinXX" ( XX=number ) from that folder.
** DO NOT WORRY - when you'll connect any audio connetor again to any socket - these "PinXX" registry values will be recreated by the system.
Insert the Line-IN connector to the audio socket you wish ( DO NOT insert any other connectors, yet )
In REGEDIT - click "REFRESH" ( press F5 ) -> Watch for any NEWLY CREATED "PinXX" -> this is the "PinXX" that you need to modify in the next step.
Double Click the PinXX you know you've inserted you Line-In connector into - then change its HEX value to "00 00 00 00"
FROM THIS MOMENT ON - DO NOT TAKE OUT THE LINE-IN CONNECTOR OUT OF THAT AUDIO SOCKET !!!
(Optional) Reconnect any other audio connectors you had in the OTHER sockets.
REBOOT - TO - ENABLE - CHANGES !!!!!
A reboot is a must have - because during boot windows will install a "line in" driver from its already realtek pack of drivers.
After reboot, when you open realtek audio manager you should see a NEW "Line In" feature, enabled.

Please note that when you TAKE OUT THE CABLE OUT OF THE SOCKET and put it back to the same socket - the Realtek Audio Manager DOES NOT recognize this connection as Line IN.
Solution: you MUST reboot again !!!! ( although in the registry the value is "00..." )

Proof of Concept:

Please TEST this method - and report back here -Thanks !
Credits: THIS SOURCE (http://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/), THIS (http://www.overclock.net/t/378475/realtek-hd-audio-manager-universal-jack-retasking-ip35-pro-xe), AND THIS (http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/2197-realtek-hd-changing-jack-output-reassignments-fix.html)

Hey thanks. I'll give it a try. I think the problem is a software issue, and overlooked by Asus because many laptops don't have a line
in connection.

warryabel
12-14-2015, 04:04 PM
when i plug in my headset via line and speaker, then simply klick micro for micro...i think micro is also line in!

muphybird
12-16-2015, 04:42 AM
when i plug in my headset via line and speaker, then simply klick micro for micro...i think micro is also line in!

Tried your suggestions, and while I can bring up a line in and enable it, it is non-functional and no music can be output. On rebooting
the line in vanishes, and the Realtek drivers restore the registry as it was, without a functioning line in on my laptop. Considering the money I paid, I'm not impressed. I know it's a software problem, not hardware. I'm going to buy a usb sound card, with a line in that I can attach to my laptop. They are cheap as dirt in any case. I'm sure many others are having the same issue, or don't realize their line in does nothing.

Gps3dx
12-16-2015, 02:28 PM
Tried your suggestions, and while I can bring up a line in and enable it, it is non-functional and no music can be output. On rebooting
the line in vanishes, and the Realtek drivers restore the registry as it was, without a functioning line in on my laptop. Considering the money I paid, I'm not impressed. I know it's a software problem, not hardware. I'm going to buy a usb sound card, with a line in that I can attach to my laptop. They are cheap as dirt in any case. I'm sure many others are having the same issue, or don't realize their line in does nothing.

on which lap model have you tried ?
what is your asus driver version installed ?
what windows version ?
Have you done all the steps EXACLY as I described ?

although I used win10 to write &test this "guide" - It is better to CLOSE ANY INTERNET CONNECTION ( wifi, eth etc.. ) BEFORE rebooting - as during windows load it tried to connect to the internet for new drivers/configuration, and sometimes "ignoring" the current installed drivers.
So with internet OFF, you force windows 10 to use what it have currently installed.

muphybird
12-16-2015, 07:29 PM
I have a G751JY. I love the computer. Other than line in, all is great. I upgraded to windows 10, 64, clean install. Updated chipset, yadda, yadda.
Windows 10 sees my line input, but won't play audio input to it. I've used two different cables, so it's not hardware. When I go into device manager, line input is there along with microphone. They both have the same driver data. My speakers aren't muted. Everything should work, but isn't. Could it be a security thing, supporting an outside line input? I'm sure it's software as the binary code for line in and microphone were identical, which was why windows 10 couldn't identify line in, until I changed the binary values. That tells me Realtek is screwed up, and not supporting line in. Then it identified it, but that's all it did. I'm sure Asus knows about this. No point in sending out the laptop, cause I know it's the drivers. There should be a work around, but I can't find it. The Realtek driver is the only one Asus has for my model and W10, 1.601.7576.

Gps3dx
12-16-2015, 10:59 PM
I have a G751JY. I love the computer. Other than line in, all is great. I upgraded to windows 10, 64, clean install. Updated chipset, yadda, yadda.
Windows 10 sees my line input, but won't play audio input to it. I've used two different cables, so it's not hardware. When I go into device manager, line input is there along with microphone. They both have the same driver data. My speakers aren't muted. Everything should work, but isn't. Could it be a security thing, supporting an outside line input? I'm sure it's software as the binary code for line in and microphone were identical, which was why windows 10 couldn't identify line in, until I changed the binary values. That tells me Realtek is screwed up, and not supporting line in. Then it identified it, but that's all it did. I'm sure Asus knows about this. No point in sending out the laptop, cause I know it's the drivers. There should be a work around, but I can't find it. The Realtek driver is the only one Asus has for my model and W10, 1.601.7576.

yeah... I see your point about that my guide doesn't really help...
well.. I test it my self...I could hear music from my hdd even though line-in & front speaker was connect ( line-in cable into the port nearest to the usb, front speaker: most far away ).
then I restore every thing in the registry the way it was originally, connect the "line-in" cable into the middle audio port and choose "min in" under realtek audio manager.
that way, I was able to record my external mp3 player using male-to-male 3.5mm cable.
What I couldn't achieve is hearing directly that mp3 using the "stereo mix" or thourgh the "mic-in" properties under "listen".

Gps3dx
12-17-2015, 12:36 AM
EDIT: Found another source (http://www.overclock.net/t/378475/realtek-hd-audio-manager-universal-jack-retasking-ip35-pro-xe/30#post_24387479) which complete this guide as TESTED BY ME !!!
10. EXCHANGE the "PKEY_RtLineInWave" with whatever "PKEY_******" was there before in that audio socket.
Example: I had my Line-In connect in the middle socket which is also the "mic-in".
Thus, I exchanged the values of "PKEY_RtMicInWave" with the value of "PKEY_RtLineInWave".

Please take a look at the updated guide above.
I've added few steps (9) and (11) - which are a MUST:
Step (9) is in order to get line-in-to-speaker working ( I.E Sound->Line in-> Properties ->Listen -> Listen to this device -> choose "speakers" in the drop-down-box beneath.
Step (11) is there to force the "PKEY" registry changes to stick after reboot.

So now I got TESTED AND WORKING LINE-IN ( not through Mic-In "trick" ) in my G751JT.

Remember that the "downside" is that once you've disconnect the Line-in from the audio socket of the laptop - windows don't know to recognize its reconnection, and you must perform the guide again ( or at least parts of it: internet disconnection & reboot ).

muphybird
12-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the great help. Frankly, I don't see the need for a line in. I can record directly through the microphone input, and use the cord I use for line in. It's important to adjust the line level, to avoid distortion, but I can get the sound to record very well in full stereo, and listen to the music while l'm recording. So I really don't see the need for a line in. I still wish Asus would however fix the problem with the Realtek drivers. Hopefully they will do that, as a Christmas gift for me. Ya sure, Ho, Ho, Ho! I love ASus computers. I have an old G73S still running strong, although the mousepad was terrible on that machine. I just use a bluetooth mouse, and actually prefer it.

NeoBeum
12-21-2015, 08:15 AM
I think there's a general problem with W10 and Realtek Audio

I was reading this the other week because i was having problems with my HDMI and audio in centre jack, or microphone

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/why-no-sound-after-updating-to-windows-10/4b720683-1134-4eca-ad11-a2ffcc9eec99

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mediaq/archive/2015/11/11/windows-10-the-online-audio-troubleshooter.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mediaq/archive/2015/07/30/windows_2d00_10_2d00_audio_2d00_troubleshooting_2d 00_tips.aspx

muphybird
12-21-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks NeoBeum for the info. It seems Windows 10 has many serious issues. It also seems Windows hardware troubleshooter is not as robust as it should be. I was having problems getting Windows updates, automatically, getting strange error messages. Ran the troubleshooter, and it couldn't find the problem. After searching, I found under services, that Windows update was set to manual, instead of automatic. That's all the problem was. Wouldn't you think Windows troubleshooter would have been able to find such a basic thing as that?

NeoBeum
12-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I laughed when I read the blog because it said, it's still in it's testing phase...

I fixed my HD Audio, and I got the laptop running 5.1, but I was never using the centre jack for input. When I tried after this, I had cracking sounds... but that was probably because I was using a 4Pole and didn't split the mic/speaker cable going in to the jack. Then I went and got a new USB 7.1 headset, so I don't have any output from USB or 3.5mm now.

bleinkz
08-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Hey man! I've read your article on routing the ports to get Line In working, thing is, I can't. Following your guide, when I get to the replacing part, there isn't anything to replace, as there is no entry for Line In on regedit. My model is the ASUS G751JY. I trully need Line In, as it is the best way I have to record the services for my church. Thanks in advance!

Gps3dx
08-05-2016, 10:49 PM
Hey man! I've read your article on routing the ports to get Line In working, thing is, I can't. Following your guide, when I get to the replacing part, there isn't anything to replace, as there is no entry for Line In on regedit. My model is the ASUS G751JY. I trully need Line In, as it is the best way I have to record the services for my church. Thanks in advance!
AFAIK, in order to "replace" some reg key, you need 1st to put something in the audio socket, then approve what it is in the realtek program.
then, if you're already in the regedit folder where the keys are located as I instruct, just hit F5 to refresh and see the latest changes to registry.

I think I got another idea for you.... simple one - no registry changes needed.
connect your external audio device into the center audio socket -> the realtek software should popup and you need to pick "MIC IN".
then goto "Recording devices" by right click on the volume icon in systray, then make sure the "microphone" is your default recording device.
you can even LIVE-hear the external device from you computer speakers if you enable under the microphone properties -> listen tab -> "listen to this device".

if this helped you, please report back.

bleinkz
08-06-2016, 02:54 AM
AFAIK, in order to "replace" some reg key, you need 1st to put something in the audio socket, then approve what it is in the realtek program.
then, if you're already in the regedit folder where the keys are located as I instruct, just hit F5 to refresh and see the latest changes to registry.

I think I got another idea for you.... simple one - no registry changes needed.
connect your external audio device into the center audio socket -> the realtek software should popup and you need to pick "MIC IN".
then goto "Recording devices" by right click on the volume icon in systray, then make sure the "microphone" is your default recording device.
you can even LIVE-hear the external device from you computer speakers if you enable under the microphone properties -> listen tab -> "listen to this device".

if this helped you, please report back.

I believe I would need the reg edits anyway due do the fact there are frequencies coming from the 3.5mm jack the supposed center audio socket can't pick. I was able to get it to show all the way to 192K at one point, but I couldn't hear anything nor the routing was okay for me to know which was which. I guess the thing I really need to get working is the socket that should be a Line In, the one near the USB port. What's your suggestion?