PDA

View Full Version : G751JT powers off without warning

Shimmervoid
12-15-2015, 05:45 AM
I'm currently on Windows 10 and while I was browsing the net the laptop just powered off without warning, as though someone pulled the plug off it. There was no pre-shut down notifications or anything like that either.

I checked Event Viewer and there was a Critical error log, with Event 41: Kernel-Power. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed or lost power unexpectedly.

Prior to this I've had multiple instances of the laptop randomly shutting down out of nowhere, only to automatically reboot into the BIOS (yes, the BIOS) and I wouldn't be able to restart properly and get into Windows unless I hold down the power button and force it to shut down. (Happens once every month or so)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Gps3dx
12-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Hi there,

Windows 10 - is a bliss and pain-in-the-ass nevertheless.
Have you upgrade from existing pre-installed win 7/8/8.1 - WITHOUT PERFORMING FORMAT ???
if so, please know, that although ppl around here reports that "everything is ok" - in my experience...it's just a matter of time till some BSOD or odd behavior occurs.
Once you've upgrade to win 10 from pre-version OS, and got "genuine" under "computer->properties" -> you can format you drive and install clean win 10, without the need to insert a product key during install - as win 10 will get back your "genuine" state after you'll connect to the internet ( it might take few min to hours )

why am i talking about format ?
cause from the info you left - it's a general case of instability of a system, without any hints of the HW or driver that caused that problem.
thus, instead of uninstalling&installing/upgrade all the drivers ( there are a lot ) - which might NOT solve the problem - a format is the smartest move.
That way you know the OS is 100% hole, and from there you can install any driver, one at a time - separate and conquer.

Worries about the format ?
You can get assistance from my sticky guide: Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation) (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way-(UEFI-based-installation))

Boxis
12-15-2015, 01:58 PM
It actually happened to me like 3-4 times in past 11 months on win8 as well. But I had Just complete shutdown, without the laptop restarting itself. Have to manually start it again.