PDA

View Full Version : ASUS GT752VT not happy after I bought, you can't have a true raid0?

mbuccarello
12-17-2015, 09:29 AM
I bought this laptop because I'm tryed to find the best performarnce.

Btw, the laptop is good but you can't have a true raid0 for your 2 pciexp slots.

This is a boring situation, asus said you could have raid on your laptop but didn't say you can have a raid only for your sata ssd disk.....

Is this right way to sell expensive laptop to customer?

Also the techical pdf guide provided from the asus dowload center is really unuseful without technical details.

I bought an asus because I thought asus is a serious vendor but is this true?

I'm really getting confused...

Julskey
12-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Maybe it will become available in future updates.

mbuccarello
12-17-2015, 01:37 PM
Maybe ....

But why the tecnical specs in the pdf manual are so confusing and not detailed?

Dr4g0n36
12-19-2015, 01:46 AM
Maybe ....

But why the tecnical specs in the pdf manual are so confusing and not detailed?
I'm not justifyng but is a new product with all-new Technologies...we have to wait that ASUS technician resolve some issue (like RAID menů and other stuff) if you jump onto my post, i've described everything.

mbuccarello
12-19-2015, 08:08 AM
I spent over 3000 euro for this laptop, and isn't for gaming but for work..

If you spent more money and fail because the "best" laptop vendor is not the true "best" and don't provide a good technical spec guide why justify it?

I repeat, I spent 3000 euro.... and for work... not for gaming... Is not a game, I need to work!

Corporal
12-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Maybe it will become available in future updates.

we have to wait that ASUS technician resolve some issue (like RAID menů and other stuff
Don't hold your breath. With ASUS, what you see is what you get, no new features will be implemented with an update
Maybe ASUS will release a "new" G752 model with Raid 0 support later this year, just like they did with G751 and Gsync ;)

Julskey
12-19-2015, 05:19 PM
I also got a G752VT with no m.2 ssd. I just bought a 250gb 850 EVO SSD and it worked just fine for me and total cost was under 1,800USD. Just wait until asus sorts it all out.

cuniac
12-19-2015, 05:32 PM
So I know this isn't the response you want to hear, but here is at least something to consider. Frist off, yes it should have been clarified that Raid0 is only on SATA. But with the 950 m.2 is it really necessary? It would be amazing to be able to run two 950 m.2's in Raid0 but its not a total loss. These drives run at over 2Gbps read/wright. Even if you did a Raid on two SATA drives it would not be as fast as one 950 m.2. Again, they should have been more specific, but don't let it get you down too much when these 950's are out there :)

Dr4g0n36
12-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Meh. Samsung installed one runs at 150 mb/s. RAID'S mode could be useful For backup (raid0) or For some heavy programs that are scared about D:/ letter (RAID 0). It's not ever all about speed. Even For me that i have a 128 gig m.2 would be better buy another 128 and go raid than "waste" money For a full 256gb.

Corporal
12-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Meh. Samsung installed one runs at 150 mb/s
I'm also kinda disappointed that G752VT uses a slower SSD than G751JT
All that big talk about the newly featured NVME, and installing a lame 150 mb/s SSD... bait and switch tactics
Source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Asus/G752VT/cdmc.png

NeoBeum
12-19-2015, 08:57 PM
this cheers me up slightly because you just saved me money... but at the same time makes me sad

edit:

how many pcie slots are there?
just the 1 like on the 751?

disregard... found the disassembly post

matrixleader
12-19-2015, 10:16 PM
I spent over 3000 euro for this laptop, and isn't for gaming but for work..

If you spent more money and fail because the "best" laptop vendor is not the true "best" and don't provide a good technical spec guide why justify it?

I repeat, I spent 3000 euro.... and for work... not for gaming... Is not a game, I need to work!
My Clevo P870DM-G supports RAID 0 for the NVMe m.2 SSDs AND the SATA SSDs/HDDs or all of them together, the possibilities are endless. Clevo is also a Taiwanese manufacturer

Here are my specs:

Clevo P870DM-G Laptop (Phoenix)]CPU: Intel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.2GHz
Memory: Samsung 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM
Graphics: 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio powered by Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5
Storage: 2x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (RAID 0) + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0)
LAN: Dual Killer DoubleShot-X3 Pro with Smart Teaming RJ-45 LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)
Wireless: Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0
Screen: 17.3" LG LP173WF4-SPF1 IPS FHD Matte Screen (G-SYNC)
Power: 2x330W (600W) AC Power Adapter

Dr4g0n36
12-20-2015, 12:54 AM
My Clevo P870DM-G supports RAID 0 for the NVMe m.2 SSDs AND the SATA SSDs/HDDs or all of them together, the possibilities are endless. Clevo is also a Taiwanese manufacturer

Here are my specs:

Clevo P870DM-G Laptop (Phoenix)]CPU: Intel Skylake i7-6700K @ 4.2GHz
Memory: Samsung 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM
Graphics: 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio powered by Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5
Storage: 2x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (RAID 0) + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0)
LAN: Dual Killer DoubleShot-X3 Pro with Smart Teaming RJ-45 LAN (10/100/1000Mbps)
Wireless: Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0
Screen: 17.3" LG LP173WF4-SPF1 IPS FHD Matte Screen (G-SYNC)
Nice spec but...a Little bit OT? 😁

Corporal
12-20-2015, 12:59 AM
Do you actually use two physical PSUs at the same time?

mbuccarello
12-20-2015, 06:37 PM
I tryed to use the win software raid but isn't good..

but the real problem is going across other thread in this forum it seems asus have some issue with the m.2 ssd 950pro.

Actualy you can't install the samsung nvme driver.

I don't know if the issue is on the asus or samsung side, the technology is really young but is a crazy situation for this HIGH quality of materials!!

I repeat, I'M NOT HAPPY, I UNDERSTOOD IS A NEW TECHNOLOGY BUT WHY DON'T DETAIL THE TYPE OF POSSIBLE RAID INSIDE THE ONLINE PDF MANUAL??!?!?!?!!?

Clintlgm
12-20-2015, 08:11 PM
I don't have an answer for you however raid was probably not thought to be needed with the speed of these new M.2 SSD, with the new ness of the NVMe there may be issues with trying to raid these drives? Remember RAID was a concept used with Spinner hard drives. Also I don't remember seeing any information that these notebooks natively supported RAID configurations?

matrixleader
12-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Do you actually use two physical PSUs at the same time?

yes bro, they're both connected together using an adapter, here's an image of it:

http://i63.tinypic.com/sbkcj9.jpg

matrixleader
12-20-2015, 10:17 PM
Nice spec but...a Little bit OT? ��

didn't mean to go OT, I just meant that dual M.2 SSDs in RAID is possible, must be just a BIOS limitation

matrixleader
12-20-2015, 10:18 PM
I tryed to use the win software raid but isn't good..

but the real problem is going across other thread in this forum it seems asus have some issue with the m.2 ssd 950pro.

Actualy you can't install the samsung nvme driver.

I don't know if the issue is on the asus or samsung side, the technology is really young but is a crazy situation for this HIGH quality of materials!!

I repeat, I'M NOT HAPPY, I UNDERSTOOD IS A NEW TECHNOLOGY BUT WHY DON'T DETAIL THE TYPE OF POSSIBLE RAID INSIDE THE ONLINE PDF MANUAL??!?!?!?!!?
without installing the Samsung NVMe driver for the 950 PRO and juts using the native NVMe driver of Windows, the 950 PRO doesn't perform to its full potential.

matrixleader
12-20-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't have an answer for you however raid was probably not thought to be needed with the speed of these new M.2 SSD, with the new ness of the NVMe there may be issues with trying to raid these drives? Remember RAID was a concept used with Spinner hard drives. Also I don't remember seeing any information that these notebooks natively supported RAID configurations?
I run both my 950 PRO 512GB in RAID mode, there is no issues with it other than the fact that you won't be able to install the NVMe driver or use Samsung Magician.

mbuccarello
12-20-2015, 10:31 PM
So.. in other words ASUS sell a top laptop with untested feature, less documentation and you say ok you can use the windows nvme driver?!?

I need to replicate on my laptop complex enviroment, and you say why you need a raid?

I need for doing my work fast as I can...

But actualy I CAN'T....

Also ASUS seems doesn't provide the right official information for this laptop, WHY? Asus ask more thant 2000 euro for this laptop but won't share the right details?

Next time I move my money to MSI with super raid function...

Corporal
12-20-2015, 10:50 PM
So.. in other words ASUS sell a top laptop with untested feature, less documentation
What do you expect from a manufacturer that produces 3 laptop generations in a row with left USB ports not working properly out of the box.

I need for doing my work fast as I can...
Depending on your use-case, you may not really need RAID, because other components will be a limiting factor.
For example, I installed eclipse IDE on my Ram drive (10 GB/s), didn't see any speed benefit compared to m.2 SSD(1 GB/s).
Try running your program from a RAM Drive, if you don't see a significant speed benefit, you won't get any better speeds on a raid either.

mbuccarello
12-20-2015, 11:14 PM
Ok all people in this forum are ASUS enthusiast and seems try to find different to justify ASUS about some missing important information on user manual guide or tech spec guide...

Asus didn't specify the raid is only for sata and not for M2...

If one week ago this was clear in my mind I'm pretty sure my money are used for buying an MSI with superraid.

This is my focus discussion.

Tell me why and important vendor like ASUS isn't clear when selling this top gamma laptop...

Corporal
12-20-2015, 11:27 PM
all people in this forum are ASUS enthusiast

justify ASUS
Are you talking about me here too? Because I'm not a brand enthusiast, and I sure as hell won't defend ASUS.

Asus didn't specify the raid is only for sata and not for M2...
If this is the case, you can return the laptop regardless of the return policy, because that is false advertising on ASUS's part.
If the vendor refuses to give you your money back, consult your lawyer.

Tell me why and important vendor like ASUS isn't clear when selling this top gamma laptop...
Why? Because they didn't have time/money to implement this feature ans still wanted to screw you over and get your money, that's why.

Jlieu
12-21-2015, 12:55 AM
Too Bad, Asus, i'm about to become a brand enthusiast but you disappointing me again and again. Maybe Asus Should quit Gaming laptop production line. Your engineers, tbh , should go back to college and start all over again.

Your engineers seems to be here to create problem instead of solving problem and be innovative. Whats the point keeping them?

Clintlgm
12-21-2015, 05:49 AM
Asus has no engineers in this forum, this is a user based forum. Were all here helping each other. m.2 and NVMe is very new to all us common users, I think you probably own the baddest notebook you have ever had, it has some issues most will be worked out some will remain. this statement is bases on my experience over the last 3.5 years and 5 generation of gaming notebook produced by Asus. So far this generation seem we don't have USB 3.0 problems Sound doesn't seem to be an issue that's an improvement. I don't see any of you complaining about over heating or Fan issues. So it seems were making progress and the prices to go with it.

Julskey
12-21-2015, 06:22 AM
I you're not happy with it, then return it immediately. The customer is always right. (sometimes).

mbuccarello
12-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Are you talking about me here too? Because I'm not a brand enthusiast, and I sure as hell won't defend ASUS.

If this is the case, you can return the laptop regardless of the return policy, because that is false advertising on ASUS's part.
If the vendor refuses to give you your money back, consult your lawyer.

Why? Because they didn't have time/money to implement this feature ans still wanted to screw you over and get your money, that's why.
I read only justify words...

winyl
12-21-2015, 09:41 PM
Asus allways had problems with their G series laptops. I have bought G73jh and i was a bit of DIY laptop to get the full potential out of it.
And know I have bought G751JY wichhas problems with USB3.0 left ports and sound crakling when soud card come out off sleep mode.
And Asus won't add nvme support to the bios of G751, I know the topic, trust me, it is just a matter off adding nvme driver and 3 other modules to the uefi bios.
Multiple times I have asked support this year if they plan to add nvme for G751, and support always replys the same "They do not know anything about adding nvme support for
G751 and they let me know if they do. Regads" In the times of G73 support was waaaaaaaaaay better then know. For my sound problem support just came up with reistalling drivers or sending laptop for repair.

So next time I buy a laptop I will not look at Asus and I suggest you do the same.

I a minute I'll ask support if they plan to add pcie ssd raid 0, 1 support for G752. I let you know what they replied.
The forum if really a joke, no Asus tech has ever replied here, some very sparse replies to be found here are from sales office emloyes.
Compare that to the MSI forum.

Corporal
12-21-2015, 11:42 PM
I let you know what they replied
Probably something along the lines : "We will release a new RAID 0 G752 model next year. It will have a shiny new "Super Duper RAID 0" sticker and support raid 0."
Wouldn't be the first time ASUS sells the same hardware with a little software modification as the "new" model :D

Julskey
12-25-2015, 11:54 AM
True. Look at G-sunk.

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Sorry OP but can you please explain a couple of things. Firstly what work it is you do with a Lap top that requires raid 0 on stupid fast SSD protocols? I run mine hard with video and photo editing and have yet to have the SSD bandwidth, even from previous generations hold me back in the least. I do some gaming but that's not my primary use or reason for purchase. Gaming rigs just pack more punch.
Secondly did you really pay 3000 euro for a 1700 euro machine? If the prices are that high there it would be cheaper to source elsewhere and pay import tariffs. A few hundred more gets the flagship maxed out machine.

I've been buying ASUS products for a very long time. Long before the ROG series was ever introduced or even before they enters the laptop market. I've had very few issues over the years that were always addressed eventually. Just because you don't see anyone from ASUS posting here doesn't mean they are not monitoring the forum. Exactly who do you think it is that owns the website and server the powers it? MSI? Many companies host forums and don't participate but gather information. Hell if I worked for ASUS I wouldn't participate here either with the lynch mobs steadily trolling. Nothing to gain.

mbuccarello
01-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Hi,

let me explain better : )

I bought a g752vt with some hardware problems, asus point change the laptop with a brand new g752 but I ask to change for g752vy.
For this I spent 2100 euro + 400euro x2 for 2 M.2 950pro Samsung + 1Tb of ssd Samsung red 350 euro more or less : )

I working with the IBM Middleware complex software to install manage uninstall test and then install ( tried to explain in one line a normal usage behaviour)

Normaly only the IBM application server is around without fixpack 1.2gb of jar and zip files with an average size between 512kb 2mb, in installation process could take 10 - 15 min without a fixpack. For complex product based on this midleware the installation process could take over 2 3 hour and on a laptop also more than 4hour and the high amount of IO can't give any way to work on the laptop when the installation is going.
Also you must keep in mind if you need to enable some developer feature, all the system and memory cache provided by the middler are disabled so the IO process is intensive and you spent more time in wait instead of to develop and work.

This is one of the normal work problem I'm facing normaly during my work.

And just for your information I'm an expert in all problem related to perfornance for web application / middleware and if I say I need more speed on my laptop to do my work better is not a casual requirement.

I hope this could clear the difference between me and a "trolling" person.

I repeat I bought for work not for gaming.

Corporal
01-03-2016, 06:54 PM
I've had very few issues over the years that were always addressed eventually.
Yeah right... USB 3.0 left ports, Sound crackling, Fan rattling, Screen backlight bleeding.
I have yet to see one statement from an ASUS rep on one of these issues (or a fix).
USB 3.0 speeds are only fixed using modified drivers and manual provided by Gps3dx, ASUS didn't give a **** about it.

What does your statement have to do with OP's problem anyway? Do you really think ASUS will introduce a BIOS update which will enable Raid 0 support for OP's laptop? Needless to say I don't share your optimism :rolleyes:

doesn't mean they are not monitoring the forum.
Even if they are monitoring, neither did they release an official statement (on the aforementioned issues concerning my model), nor did they release a fix.

1.2gb of jar and zip files with an average size between 512kb 2mb
Check this out, maybe it will help you ;)
https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Yeah right... USB 3.0 left ports, Sound crackling, Fan rattling, Screen backlight bleeding.
I have yet to see one statement from an ASUS rep on one of these issues (or a fix).
USB 3.0 speeds are only fixed using modified drivers and manual provided by Gps3dx, ASUS didn't give a **** about it.

What does your statement have to do with OP's problem anyway? Do you really think ASUS will introduce a BIOS update which will enable Raid 0 support for OP's laptop? Needless to say I don't share your optimism :rolleyes:

Even if they are monitoring, neither did they release an official statement (on the aforementioned issues concerning my model), nor did they release a fix.

Check this out, maybe it will help you ;)
https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

You should not make a habit of reading into something that isn't there. Personally I have zero issues with the left USB ports, have no sound rattling or backlight bleeding. Not saying they dont happen or exist, just that I havent experienced them and jsut like anything else there are always more cry babies than those who post up in a Positive manner. Thinking that all are the reflection of a few is like actually believing the reviews on NewEgg written by spoiled brats who dont even own the hardware. I said nothing about them introducing raid 0, Simply stating that the speeds available now are faster than 6 months ago when in Raid and not seeing a work related "need" for having 5Gbs read speed.

Your post only amplifies what I said about why they choose not to be active as 3/4 of the posters here lack the communication skills to have a contructive rapport.

Corporal
01-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Personally I have zero issues with the left USB ports
What's your laptop model?

post up in a Positive manner
There is a lot positive about the laptop, otherwise I would return it and buy some other laptop. My G751JY is pretty awesome AFTER all the time/oil/fine tuning I invested into it.
But why I should focus on the positive aspects of the laptop though? To make ASUS feel good? To make buyers feel good about their new laptop? That's not my job.
In my opinion, this forum mainly exists to discuss problems and constructively criticize ASUS products so that the problems will be fixed (hopefully).
I will be glad if one day ASUS will take time to fix the issues I mentioned (but I won't hold my breath :rolleyes: ).

Simply stating that the speeds available now are faster than 6 months ago when in Raid and not seeing a work related "need" for having 5Gbs read speed.
OP is clearly dissatisfied with how Raid 0 is not working as he expected it to work. Telling him that he doesn't really need that performance is getting us nowhere.

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Other than asking me what laptop models I have the rest of your post is hot air.

G74SX
G751JL
G751JY
G752VY on the way.

Should I also list all of my desktop mother boards? None of it proves anything. To post that you don't see a point in posting up positive things and feel this board is only to cry only further proves my point.

Corporal
01-03-2016, 08:45 PM
the rest of your post is hot air.
Would you care to elaborate?

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Elaborate on what? Your endless baiting and trolling?
Not to mention your expert use of multi quotes while trying your best to make yourself look good?

Corporal
01-03-2016, 11:07 PM
only further proves my point.

your post is hot air.

Your endless baiting and trolling?
You keep making statements, yet you do little to support them. I'm eager to hear you support your claims.
For a start, please do explain why criticizing the shortcomings of a product is "baiting and trolling".

just that I havent experienced them and jsut like anything else there are always more cry babies than those who post up in a Positive manner.
Did I get that correctly that you call customers who have problems with their ASUS products "cry babies"?

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 11:25 PM
I didn't post here to be quoted by some jack wagon trying to poke holes in my words just to make an argument. Back to what I originally said its indisputable so give it up already. I just asked why so much money, the OP answered and why did he need a striped array for something that is already fast. Its his prerogative to not be 100% satisfied, that wasn't the point. I just wanted to know what was so intensive that 2Gbs isn't fast enough and he could not work because of it.

The cry baby classification is reserved for those who do nothing but complain and throw the manufacturer under the bus and make statements like Im not going to post the positive aspects so ASUS feels good or so people can feel good about their machines as its not your job.
If you want to see baiting and trolling simply go back and read all your posts here that are quoting what I had to say then trying to poke holes in it with the last one being the worst.

There is nothing in my posts that needs supporting.
Go ahead and multi quote this post and try and poke holes in it too.
Im done with trying to explain simple concepts with the handicapped.:cool:

Clintlgm
01-04-2016, 02:04 AM
Yea Justin there are Asus people here for the most part we have cl-albert now as our official C ustomer L oyalty Representative Marshal and a few other Asus employee drop in rarely. Albert is pretty sharp and he works hard to get us the correct information. His office is near the repair station in Calif. So he can be helpful with insuring that RMA actually get fixed.