PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking G751JY

cuniac
12-19-2015, 08:43 PM
So I heard you can overclock the CPU & GPU of this beast. My question is how is this done? I have overclocked before on my Desktop using a combination of the Bios and Asus AI suite, but I can't seem to figure it out on this machine. The chips are running pretty cool and I only want to do it a hair. Does anyone have any experience in this?

NeoBeum
12-19-2015, 08:49 PM
You'll fry the GPU, because the current stock stuff from ASUS is unstable on Windows 10.

You have to be quick if it crashes, and you're doing something graphics intensive, and then suddenly you see the temperature rise, only to find out you can't downclock because the program crashed.... and you don't really want to just pull the battery out.

cuniac
12-19-2015, 08:52 PM
You'll fry the GPU, because the current stock stuff from ASUS is unstable on Windows 10.

You have to be quick if it crashes, and you're doing something graphics intensive, and then suddenly you see the temperature rise, only to find out you can't downclock because the program crashed.... and you don't really want to just pull the battery out.

I will not be overclocking it then lol

ciccio80
12-21-2015, 06:21 PM
? what was that about?
I have succesfully overclocked the gpu and the temperatures are always inside the safety zone.
Cuniac, in order to OC the GPU, you have to flash the modded Gpu bios (you can find it on the internet, just use google).
As for the CPU, you don't need to OC it, it's fast enough for everything. Instead use Intel tuning utility to underwolt it for a 5-10 C drop on same performance ;)

NeoBeum
12-22-2015, 08:45 PM
? what was that about?

are you using Asus' Tweak?

ciccio80
12-22-2015, 11:40 PM
yes I am using Asus Gpu Tweak version 2.8.3.0 (not Asus Twak II mind you) and it works fine with my win10 x64.

Gps3dx
12-22-2015, 11:59 PM
i'll just put a link to another thread on same topic (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59739-Insane-Overclock-with-the-Asus-g751JT-GTX-970M&highlight=vbios)... look at my reply (@gps3dx) near the end with a link to the source - the source site contains modded vbios for the JY as well as the JT.
You might want to try this out - but please pay attention - it will break your warranty- if handled incorrectly.

Dreamonic
12-23-2015, 10:20 AM
@NeoBeum

Overclocking is completely fine to do. The only con it creates (depends greatly on the individual) is the time spent stabilizing it through benching and gaming (rinse and repeat). if you view that as a con instead of the pro that it is, then overclocking just isn't for you. Certain games cause higher GPU/CPU loads/temps than others do, which is why a stable overclock can become unstable. This can create stress for the user, example: Say you're gaming for an hour (fairly high but stable overclock, confirmed with testing) and progressed really far and all of a sudden your driver crashes and it causes your game to all of a sudden crash too, losing all that unsaved progress. This can leave a bad taste in ones mouth about overclocking but it also means you need a little bump in voltage to further stabilize the current clocks used or if you can't raise any more voltage, to lower core/memory clocks enough to where it is. In no way will any of this cause your GPU to fry. That's absurd! Electronics either work or they don't. Some components (MOSFETs, inductors, capacitors, VRM, VC, ICs, etc) can be faulty and others prone to failure given certain scenarios but you also take on all these risks just by purchasing anything electronic without even attempting to alter anything. This is why we have store product return policies and manufacturer warranties in place.

Now the only part to be cautious of is when you're on your first time attempting flashing. Take note on the original ROM (create a backup) log temps, clocks and voltage so you have references. When flashing, the correct ROM must be used (confirm the Device ID matches current one) as G-SYNC vBIOSes are not compatible with non G-SYNC vBIOSes. Then, make sure nothing will cause the flashing procedure to prematurely fail (system restart, shutdown, BSOD, etc) due to unstable system settings for your CPU, memory, running apps etc. Default everything PRIOR to flashing anything and read up on possible recovery options should anything happen as something so simple can be overlooked and it could cost you your notebook if you're not tech savvy enough to recover it yourself or have the patience required to go through with recovering it or even waiting through on RMA process/return.

There are some things that are considered general rule of thumb so read up on everything before attempting anything.

@cuniac

You can use MSI Afterburner if you like, although with a modded vBIOS you won't have voltage control with it; Even with a stock vBIOS you don't really get voltage control anyway. GPU Tweak is fine to use it just doesn't have it's own OSD like MSI Afterburner does. You'll be limited to +135 on the core with a stock vBIOS and memory OC can be anywhere from +500-1000 (if using GPU Tweak) to +350-500 (if using MSI Afterburner). Your load temps will increase a few degrees but nothing to cause for concern. Once you flash a modified vBIOS that allows overvolting and raises the +135 core clock limit, you can expect much higher temps then depending of course how high of an overclock you'll be stable using. Most GPUs and CPUs have temperature/power limits in place to throttle clocks/voltages accordingly to control and prolong their life expectancy/efficiency. Ideally you want lower temps and for notebooks which are air cooled, those load temps can be anywhere from mid 60's to mid 80's. How much FPS you have also contributes to how high your temps are. If your display panel can be OC'd to 100Hz from the native G-SYNC 75Hz (still functional) and then OV and OC your 980M to give you that gain of 100fps throughout and (depending on the game and settings used) you'll see higher load temps but with no screen tearing mind you. Say you're display can't OC much past 75Hz but you want 100+ FPS anyway, you disable G-SYNC/V-SYNC in NVCP, despite screen tearing now, you get max FPS but also get even higher temps with the likelihood of hitting the temp target now (which is usually raised in a modded vBIOS anyway) and will start thermal throttling, making FPS jump around and the game unplayable. So it's not just the overclock that increases temps but what you limit and don't limit, in-game applied settings, GPU usage, newer titles, etc.

It gets to a point where, you'll become stubborn and want to always run at a certain overclock to net the right amount of FPS but you still got to remember it's a gaming notebook by a consumer market standpoint where anything maintaining 60fps is enough for them to call it one. They are not thermally equipped for long duration of unlimited FPS and max continuous loads while still maintaining ideal temperatures and performance throughout like desktops are. My point is by overclocking without doing other DIY mods, really is limiting the headroom you have for actual use of it.

MrRuckus
12-23-2015, 08:16 PM
@NeoBeum
You can use MSI Afterburner if you like, although with a modded vBIOS you won't have voltage control with it

Not 100% accurate. You have voltage adjustments depending on what was modified in your vbios.

Dreamonic
12-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Not 100% accurate. You have voltage adjustments depending on what was modified in your vbios.

That's not MSI Afterburner, it's NVIDIA Inspector... and you read what you quoted from my previous post wrong.

I'm referring to a modified vBIOS not having voltage control in MSI Afterburner, yet with Precision X (not shown), NVIDIA Inspector and GPU Tweak there is. See?

http://www.voltground.com/misc/Voltage.PNG

MrRuckus
12-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Oh gotcha. My bad. Nice overclock on the core. What are your load temps with that voltage offset?

Dreamonic
12-24-2015, 12:32 AM
On my highest OC, 1500 is semi-stable @ 1.2v but at 88-92C (not ideal) which allows just enough time to make it through a few tests before I start getting uncomfortable seeing those temps. I usually run 1400/6000 stable @ 1.162v and it's solid around 72C (depends on the load/fps). Mind you, I got a few mods done to my chassis and heatsink assembly to improve temps with that overvolt and overclock.

The best spot for most 980M's seems to be 1300-1350 @ 1.1v (bin dependent).

Dreamonic
01-08-2016, 04:00 AM
I should say, you can control voltage (limited by driver) in MSI Afterburner if you use VDDC_Generic_Detection=1. If you want to monitor your GPU voltage in the OSD, this is how you'd do it as well. I still prefer using GPU Tweak anyway.

http://www.voltground.com/misc/Voltage_Mod.PNG

GrizzlyLewy
01-10-2016, 09:38 PM
What about 970m what could be the stable set?

Dreamonic
01-11-2016, 12:59 AM
@GrizzlyLewy

Highly depends on the cards base P00 voltage. If it's higher than other 970M's (do your research) it's likely not to net you as high of an overclock with an overvolt. The temperature increase of an already higher running base voltage GPU compared to some others which operate at lower voltages can determine your overclocking headroom.

Most people with a 970M get around 1300-1400 on the core @ 1.2v and 5500-6000 on the mem. I have seen a few get over 1500 on the core but it's more of a benching overclock than an everyday use one.