PDA

View Full Version : G752VT: Help! Cannot Reinstall Windows 10! Ssd 128gb Not Found!

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Alright, so I was doing a bit of editing around within system32, things I've done before without a hassle so I didn't bother to make a restore point (I can already feel you guys rolling your eyes at me...)

Well, I restarted the computer, and when I got back to the login screen.... Constant flashing of gray and black.

That's fine, go into recovery options from boot, click on fix windows startup.... But it can't fix anything. I try to 'reset' the computer while keeping all of my files... "This drive is locked." I go into BIOS to adjust the settings in every way that would unlock it. Still locked. I give up and go for a full reset... "An error has occurred. No changes have been made."

I tried to completely reinstall windows 10 via my UEFI USB boot, and it can't find the m2 ssd now... But it shows up in my bios.

I took another HDD and installed 10 on there perfectly fine, and then went into disk manager, and the m2 ssd is not showing still. Then I tried Samsung magician. Nothing. Master Partition. Nothing. It's like the thing isn't there at all, the only thing that actually sees the ssd now is the bios, and that is only if I go under the raid list. Yet in the description. It says it is a "Non-Raid Physical Disk".

I don't know what I am missing, I don't know what to do. I'm on the verge of just sending this back and waiting on my replacement, but with school starting back up in 2 weeks, I do not want to take that chance...

Does anyone know what I can do? Because I've been researching for the past 3 hours, switching in and out drives and everything, and I still cannot get it to show up for installation. :(

Julskey
12-27-2015, 10:47 AM
I think the restore image is not Win10. Just clean install Win10 from usb. Once everything is okay, make an image using paragon hard disk manager 15, or similar image tools and restore image to ssd. Remove hdd and boot from ssd to confirm working. Then reinstall hdd and use bootable paragon hdm15 (WinPE) to format hdd, as youcannot have 2 drives with the exact same image, one drive will be disabled by windows.

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 04:24 PM
I think the restore image is not Win10. Just clean install Win10 from usb. Once everything is okay, make an image using paragon hard disk manager 15, or similar image tools and restore image to ssd. Remove hdd and boot from ssd to confirm working. Then reinstall hdd and use bootable paragon hdm15 (WinPE) to format hdd, as youcannot have 2 drives with the exact same image, one drive will be disabled by windows.

I don't entirely understand what it is you're asking of me. I can't install Windows 10 onto the SSD because whenever I go into the Windows 10 installation with my USB, it doesn't show the SSD at all. The only place that will show it is BIOS. I can't even format it within Windows Disk Management.

I do want to point something out though, when I did diskpart last night via recovery menu, it showed the SSD. But I 'cleaned' the SSD while I was in diskpart. After that, the only thing that could find it was the BIOS. Nothing else.

I'm pulling my hair out, what little I do have... I've been trying still for another hour or so since I've woken up.

But I'll say it again, there is NOTHING on the SSD now. It was cleaned using diskpart. But I have no way to format it to NTFS, Fat32, MBR, nothing. Until the computer can actually see the drive outside of bios, there is nothing I can do with it.

I've never had this problem before.

Julskey
12-27-2015, 04:52 PM
Forget my previous reply and please read Sticky Thread "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)" in this forum.

Best practice when having new laptops is to make a backup recovery image of the whole drive (using bootable Paragon Hard Disk Manager or similar programs) before doing anything else. So incase the built-in recovery system fails, then you have another possibility to factory restore your laptop.

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 05:06 PM
I've been following that guide up until now, but I can't do absolutely anything to the m2 SSD because, again, it doesn't show anywhere else other than in BIOS, and that is completely regardless of whatever settings I change within the BIOS.

The SSD isnt dead, I know that for sure. This computer hasn't experienced dropping or anything of the sort. I just can't get to the darn thing. And that guide didn't help me as much as I hoped it would have...

Julskey
12-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Have you tried this guide? https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information/page2&highlight=samsung+m.2

I read a thread before (but I forgot which one) a user installed win10 on hdd. Then using a bootable imaging software (i.e. Paragon Hard Drive Manager 15) he copied the hdd image to the ssd. Take note that the ssd drive must be created as UEFI GPT drive (I think it has another partition for booting aside from the OS Partition. I've not tried creating this since I made an image of the original drive (with 4 partitions I think - for Boot manager, restore, blank partition, then OS partition). You can read help file from partitioning/backup software.

Gps3dx
12-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Forget my previous reply and please read Sticky Thread "Guide: How to install windows 8/8.1/10 The proper way (UEFI based installation)" in this forum.

good advise...there...
now...HW problems excluded, if one read that guide, one should know that:
CSM enable = old bios mode
CSM disabled = UEFI mode
if installing OS using UEFI, you MUST FORMAT IN ADVANCE THE DRIVE ( ssd/hdd) AS GPT otherwise windows installation WILL NOT agree to install OS ( booted with uefi method ) on the drive.
Also, UEFI OS installatio requires min of 3 partitions on the GPT drive:
1. EFI ( FAT32 formateed )
2. MSR ( MS reserve partition - special file system)
3. Windows "c" drive - NTFS advisably formatted.

if your GPT drive don't contains these 3 partitions in THAT ORDER - you either won't see the drive in the boot-selection screen during laptop POST, or either will have boot problems, as the boot files sits on the EFI partition, and the MSR partition is 2nd requirement for windows boot.

now...if you please...READ MY GUIDE TO THE END (see my sig for link)- ALL OF THIS KNOWLEDGE IS THERE.

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Okay.... so I have somehow managed to make the computer find the SSD. Now I am able to see it in not only the BIOS, but within Windows itself. The only problem now is seeing it via installation.

I currently have it formatted with NTFS, and I can place files onto the drive itself while in File Explorer, but the computer still won't find it for installation, as you have said in your post, Mr.GPS.

What's interesting to me is that Samsung Data Management and Samsung Magician still don't see the drive at all, though Disk Management and EaseUS can find it now.

Don't take my words the wrong way, Mr.GPS, I've read throughout your guide several times since last night, downloaded all of the drivers for my computer and everything, but I am still struggling. There is nothing wrong with your guide, trust me, I'm the fault in the equation.

I just need to have the installation find the SSD, or perhaps diskpart will find it this time...

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 07:53 PM
Alright, I am letting you know right now that I started completely over and made everything from square 1. Formatted the ssd again, used disk part, converted what needed to be converted in the proper order. Used the new UEFI boot that I made with the windows 10 home iso that I got directly from them, had the USB configured within Rufus in the proper format, made sure that the bios were set properly, with fast boot off, secure boot off, csm off. The ssd had efi and everything created properly and in order. Went to clean install Windows 10 onto the ssd after making sure it was the only drive in the computer....

Windows installation STILL can't find the drive.

I give up. I don't know what to do anymore.

Gps3dx
12-27-2015, 08:35 PM
...the only thing that actually sees the ssd now is the bios, and that is only if I go under the raid list. Yet in the description. It says it is a "Non-Raid Physical Disk".

wawawawawa wait a minute.....
raid ? WTF ?
why the frak ( yes BSG fan ) you use RAID on a single ssd based machine ? it makes no sense !

Please enter the bios and change the drives control to AHCI instead of RAID !
Also... look at this REVIEW from NoteBookCheck.net (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-G752VT-Notebook-Review.153805.0.html)

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 08:40 PM
I would've changed that if I could, but RAID is the only option. IDE, ACHI are not there. At all, in any menu under any section.

I would like to mention that this is the ROG G752 we're talking about. There is another topic on here that talks of people having the same problem as me being stuck in only RAID mode. But like I said, it describes itself as a Non-Raid Physical Disk, EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN THE RAID MENU.

This new NVMe and m2 technology is really making me upset.

Gps3dx
12-27-2015, 08:52 PM
I would've changed that if I could, but RAID is the only option. IDE, ACHI are not there. At all, in any menu under any section.

I would like to mention that this is the ROG G752 we're talking about. There is another topic on here that talks of people having the same problem as me being stuck in only RAID mode. But like I said, it describes itself as a Non-Raid Physical Disk, EVEN THOUGH IT IS IN THE RAID MENU.

This new NVMe and m2 technology is really making me upset.
A. please read my update in my previous post.
B. please see this old G55VW manual. (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G55VW/E6932_eManual_G55VW_Z104.pdf)..from page 98-102... specially the "delete raid" part.
I think you can control your raid in the same way... using the special Intel RAID config screen ( Ctrl+I suppose to be for Intel Raid control... if not try Ctrl+M -> that for maverick Raid control)
Now... although I had the G55VW - I NEVER used RAID so I can't guide you there....

My opinion - that should let you disable the raid completely, then you'll be able to change to AHCI in the bios after another reboot.

P.S - Fastboot is a good thing to enable AFTER you got your OS installed and there is no need to use the POST so much anymore ( this option enabled making POST faster )

P.S.S - You can stay with RAID - but during windows installation you need to mount Intel (most probebly ) RAID drivers so the OS can communicate with the ssd !

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 09:20 PM
I read the update in your other post, but it doesn't change anything for me. The windows 10 installation still can't see the SSD. And none of the RAID drivers have helped in getting it found.

The manual that you showed me would be helpful, but my BIOS are completely different from that. I don't have even half of the options that the manual described, and I cannot adjust the RAID at all within the BIOS. Adding, deleting, none of that is there. I know you can't guide me in that category, so it is a bust.

I'm beginning to care less and less about this computer now. I'm just about ready to return it. I absolutely LOVED the thing up until this reinstallation point, and it makes no sense that something as simple as installing an OS should be this complicated.

Gps3dx
12-27-2015, 09:30 PM
The manual that you showed me would be helpful, but my BIOS are completely different from that. I don't have even half of the options that the manual described, and I cannot adjust the RAID at all within the BIOS. Adding, deleting, none of that is there. I know you can't guide me in that category, so it is a bust.

M8... read page 98 :
1. Turn on the system
2. During POST press <CTRL>+<I>....

POST is the state after you turn on the PC and BEFORE OS launches. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test)... it is NOT the bios's screen... but an I/O of the bios operations.
Thus:
a. disable fast boot - cause the G751/2 laptop's POST is really fast
b. try couple of times to enter that special RAID screen during post, by pressing ctrl+I

EDIT: try also the ctrl+I combo with external keyboard... although that does not make sense to me... as USB are POSTing later then any internal component.... may be this will work....
otherwise - i'll tell you to update the BIOS, as it solve other's laptops ctrl+I problem ( other's != asus laptop, but intel RAID controller based )
The only update there for the VT is about cardreader fix and some EC firmware... (https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/833/0/2/ei402mbWHszpHtd9/45/)
The issue is that the bios updater app is windows based.... and flashing this outside of windows in dos-based environment... is a big deal ( you'll need h-i-r-e-n boot disk or other equivalent with dos on a USB ) cuz the tools to flash these bioses from DOS are NOT asus official tools ( you can get them from some specific bios-mod forums )

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 09:34 PM
I will give it a try after Rufus is done configuring an iso for Windows 8. I'm going to see if using a different OS will make a difference. I don't care how I get Windows 10 onto this thing, I just need it to find it, know what I mean?

If my Windows 8 iso doesn't find the SSD either, then I'll give a try to what you mentioned. I thought the only menu you could access via POST was the Recovery menu or the BIOS. I didn't know there was one for RAID as well.

You'll have to forgive me. Im currently running on a good 15+ hours of no sleep right now because of this issue.

Gps3dx
12-27-2015, 09:57 PM
I will give it a try after Rufus is done configuring an iso for Windows 8. I'm going to see if using a different OS will make a difference. I don't care how I get Windows 10 onto this thing, I just need it to find it, know what I mean?

If my Windows 8 iso doesn't find the SSD either, then I'll give a try to what you mentioned. I thought the only menu you could access via POST was the Recovery menu or the BIOS. I didn't know there was one for RAID as well.

You'll have to forgive me. Im currently running on a good 15+ hours of no sleep right now because of this issue.
well... nighty night then... better you don't get into 24+ without sleep... believe me... been there done that more then once - it really fraked me eventually in my live.

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 09:59 PM
Okay.... the CTRL+I thing did not work on POST. I tried the other one in the manual as well, and that one did not work either. Im going to assume that my computer doesnt have it.

I also couldn't check the Windows 8 iso because it REQUIRES a key, which I do not have. And even if I did, chances are it wasn't going to find the SSD either.

I don't know anymore, Mr. GPS. I really really don't.

Gps3dx
12-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Okay.... the CTRL+I thing did not work on POST. I tried the other one in the manual as well, and that one did not work either. Im going to assume that my computer doesnt have it.

I also couldn't check the Windows 8 iso because it REQUIRES a key, which I do not have. And even if I did, chances are it wasn't going to find the SSD either.

I don't know anymore, Mr. GPS. I really really don't.
the problem with win10 you ad will happen also with win8, 7 - cuz you need RAID drivers and windows does NOT contains it in the official MS/MSDN ISOs.
for win8/7 to load without asking for key, remove the EI.cfg found in the /sources/ folder of the USB installation disk.
if it doesn't exist - create one using this generator (https://labs.gidix.de/ei/) - BUT REMOVE THE ENTRY UNDER EDITION.
Your edition is CORE.
channel is OEM if you got your laptop with win8 preinstalled.
if not, channel is RETAIL and buy a RETAIL serial from somewhere.
this way or the other, win8 got 30 days free usage anyway even without any key.

about the CTRL+I - you need patience... as POST is really fast, even with FASTBOOT been disabled.
try to press CTRL+I (hold CTRL then hold I, then release both and wise-versa ) one after the other, 2-4 times per sec, as you got light on the LED of the laptop after powering on.

P.S in this other *same subject thread* (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81492-G752VT-RH71-Bios-stuck-in-quot-RAID-quot-mode) some user reports that loading Intel RAID drivers during windows installation got him past that point where you stuck.

UniversalWolf21
12-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Nothing is working. The CTRL+I does absolutely nothing, and that is after 20+ restarts. I've tried pressing and releasing, constantly tapping same time, off-set-time, holding them down and letting them go, holding them down the whole time after pressing the power button, holding them down after seeing POST, I won't list them all but I know for sure that this RAID menu isnt on my computer.

The other post with the guy saying that he got through with the Intel Drivers, I have downloaded multiple varities of those same drivers and it does nothing for me. Windows installation loads the drivers but my SSD still does not show up.

Windows 8 was not preinstalled on the computer, I just wanted to see if using a different OS made a difference. And it did not, the drive didn't show under the Windows 8 install either (after bypassing the Windows Key page.)

At this point I am a lost cause. Nothing works and the way this is going, nothing will. I don't even know how Asus managed to get Windows installed on the SSD if I can't do the same.

Gps3dx
12-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Nothing is working. The CTRL+I does absolutely nothing, and that is after 20+ restarts. I've tried pressing and releasing, constantly tapping same time, off-set-time, holding them down and letting them go, holding them down the whole time after pressing the power button, holding them down after seeing POST, I won't list them all but I know for sure that this RAID menu isnt on my computer.

The other post with the guy saying that he got through with the Intel Drivers, I have downloaded multiple varities of those same drivers and it does nothing for me. Windows installation loads the drivers but my SSD still does not show up.

Windows 8 was not preinstalled on the computer, I just wanted to see if using a different OS made a difference. And it did not, the drive didn't show under the Windows 8 install either (after bypassing the Windows Key page.)

At this point I am a lost cause. .
A. follow up the 2nd thread with similar topic.
B. try these drivers (http://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers-digitally-signed.html)... I dunno what is your chipset... so dunno to tell you what to download.
what i do know is that this forum contains other thread with INTEL RAID drivers...
C. Contact asus support, tell them that there isn't any FAQ on how to toggle RAID to AHCI.
D. Contact asus support, tell them that there isn't any FAQ on how to toggle RAID to AHCI.
E. spam asus with complains, as they should invest in their costumers with better manuals and FAQ at their official support page.

Gps3dx
12-28-2015, 12:12 AM
See this thread (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81003-G752VT-clean-install-some-issues-found-and-questions).
and also this post (http://answertohelp.com/g752vt-rh71-pcie-nvme-raid-issues)... as I wrote.. contact asus.

Julskey
12-28-2015, 06:34 AM
If this is G752, you cant change sata mode, it's always in raid.

UniversalWolf21
12-28-2015, 07:48 AM
I did something that I never thought would work, but HOLY BLEEP DID IT WORK.

I cloned the installation of Windows 10 I did from the other HDD (which I had taken from my PS4) and then cloned it to the SSD. Since the SSD couldn't be seen within the Windows Installation, why not just have it thrown onto there, right? So I tried it using Reflect, and then I rebooted, held down ESC to have an option on what to boot from, AND THE SSD SHOWED UP.

I will try seeing if it will show up within Windows 10 installation so I can just do a clean install, but I know now that if I screw it up somehow, I can just clone it from another drive to get it back up in running one way or another.

UniversalWolf21
12-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I do have one more tiny problem. Well, I guess it is tiny depending on how you take it.

So these computers came preinstalled with Windows Home. That's perfectly fine. However, when I was doing the reinstall for Windows 10, it never gave me an option on which one I wanted. It just installed Pro by default.

So now that I've FINALLY GOTTEN THROUGH the hard part.... my Windows isnt activated because it isnt the one that came with the computer.

So I guess the struggle now is.... how do I install the right one if the Windows 10 Installation doesn't give me a choice?

Julskey
12-28-2015, 10:23 AM
When you download windows 10 from Microsoft, you have to specify which version and what system (32 or 64 bit). Download your correct windows version.

UniversalWolf21
12-28-2015, 02:56 PM
I used the free Win10 key my college gave me for being a student there. It was for the Education version, so now all I have to do is remove the watermark and I think I will be all set.

Windows 10 Education would be considered superior to Windows 10 Home, right?

Gps3dx
12-28-2015, 05:41 PM
I used the free Win10 key my college gave me for being a student there. It was for the Education version, so now all I have to do is remove the watermark and I think I will be all set.

Windows 10 Education would be considered superior to Windows 10 Home, right?

answer here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions#Comparison_chart

Gps3dx
12-29-2015, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know what I can do? Because I've been researching for the past 3 hours, switching in and out drives and everything, and I still cannot get it to show up for installation. :(

I'm about 99% sure now... after some reading for the last few days... that the G752VT does NOT include AHCI option instead of RAID.
this is because the intel's CM236 chipset...
thus, you need to provide MS windows installation either RAID or NVMe drivers so it can see the SSD you wish to install it on.

KenGeo
01-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Well, i ran into the same issue, basically the same time as OP did. But had to register and wait 3 days to post. so i kind of forgot. This machine ONLY has a RAID option.

This is what I had to do. now keep in mind, I have a dell on my desk today (it reminded me of this thread) and the drivers loaded during windows install just fine.. Of course it didnt show the ssd drive initially, but loading the raid driver worked great. The ASUS would Bluescreen on loading the raid driver.

I believe the root of our issue is that the driver ASUS has for this machine was is a bad one. We should be ordering another soon and ill update if its fixed.

First ill start with why we use this laptop. We have techs in the field that need a high end machine to process data. This machine does this task very well. However, we HAVE to install our own operating system, which is Win 10 Enterprise. And (as of Jan 12,2016) you cannot boot to a windows disk, and install windows to the SSD drive as a clean install. I read all the forums I could, tried everything, even shipped one back because asus said it was defective. Absolutely not the case. the 1TB drive will show up, but the PCI SSD will not, even after trying to load the windows drivers. I believe this is because ASUS ships this in "RAID", without the option to change it to anything else, and mixed with a bad driver.

There are two work arounds if you need to do this. First, is to boot into the OS that was installed, run the setup DVD for window 10, and choose to delete all files and settings for a clean install of windows, this worked great for this model. The other way, is to install windows on to the 1TB HD, then clone it to the SSD, once you clone it, run windows repair.from your start up disk, just remember you will need the drivers (if they work) to load into your cloning software.

dookooo
01-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Are we officially announce now that Asus ruin it up with the PCIE NVMe Raid option and drivers too ? . because if this is the case , what shall we do now about this annoying problem ?

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 01:36 AM
Are we officially announce now that Asus ruin it up with the PCIE NVMe Raid option and drivers too ? . because if this is the case , what shall we do now about this annoying problem ?

Its not a question of what to do, its a question of what NOT to do. In this case, don't screw around with files and settings you are unfamiliar with and brick your OS without having a way back out of it.

Ive had zero problems from the drive configuration. There is always the best option. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

KenGeo. Im a bit surprised being in that line of work that you didn't know that ANY machine that was ever made where the drive is connected by a raid controller you must load that driver during the install process. That's been true like, forever. First time I did it was Windows 3.11. You cant clone the 1TB drive to the SSD, Well you can but then when you try to boot from it it would laugh at you if it could.

If you follow the UEFI boot guide and load the Intel RST raid driver during install it works like a charm.

dookooo
01-22-2016, 12:04 PM
You cant clone the 1TB drive to the SSD, Well you can but then when you try to boot from it it would laugh at you if it could.

Actually you can clone the "partitions" from the SATA HDD to the SSD using Macrium Reflect , and it will boot perfectly !

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Have you done it on a G752 with raid and M2 gen 3 NVMe drive? If so you are the first. Please post up step by step instructions with screen shots along the way so others who have failed can follow your expert tutelage.
To date no one else done it, Myself included. The drive will clone over then fail at boot.

beststevie
01-22-2016, 01:54 PM
AHCI is for Serial ATA Controller. Raid is okay. The only way to conficure for e.g. Smart response with another SSD in the system is Raid setup. Single disc is running in JBOD Mode under Raid. I had the best results with raid and Samsung_NVMExpress_Driver_rev10 at the same time. 950Pro on NVME, Liteon SSD (M.2 but SATA), WD 2tB hdd with SSD cache (smart response).

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 01:57 PM
AHCI is for Serial ATA Controller. Raid is okay. The only way to conficure for e.g. Smart response with another SSD in the system is Raid setup. Single disc is running in JBOD Mode under Raid. I had the best results with raid and Samsung_NVMExpress_Driver_rev10 at the same time. 950Pro on NVME, Liteon SSD (M.2 but SATA), WD 2tB hdd with SSD cache (smart response).

Pardon me kind sir/maam,
Im a bit confused as to how anything you typed in has anything to do with this thread.......in the farthest reaches of the imagination.....

beststevie
01-22-2016, 02:31 PM
I was not sure if facts are known, because some were talking about AHCI and NVME at the same time.
Do you know a girl called stevie, Justin?

dookooo
01-22-2016, 03:23 PM
well my own machine is on the way , and i think i can prove it .
Alienware 17 R3 users did that .
check this out :
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19659674?pi21932=2

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 03:51 PM
I was not sure if facts are known, because some were talking about AHCI and NVME at the same time.
Do you know a girl called stevie, Justin?

Several actually. One that is very famous, Stevie Nicks
The OP is the NVMe 128GB SSD that came stock in the G752VT
While this chipset has a raid controller on it there is no functionality to set up any type of raid. There have been a lot of complaints of people wanting to set up to M2 NVMe drives in Raid 0 and its just not possible.

well my own machine is on the way , and i think i can prove it .
Alienware 17 R3 users did that .
check this out :
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19659674?pi21932=2

Alienware 17 R3 has the Intel HM67 chipset not the CM236 that is present in the G752 series. On the alienware the drive shows up as a PCIe device in the BIOS. On the G752 it shows up as an NVMe drive under the raid controller.
When you do get yours and if you are successful where others have failed miserably (plenty of posts here about it), and did a clean install instead while loading the Intel RST drivers for the raid controller during set up, please post up a step by step tutorial with pics so others can follow.

It will take some doing on your part though if you are getting what you posted the DH72 model as the OS comes on the 256GB SSD and its easy as pie to clone that to a new SSD with any reputable cloning software, even Samsung data migration does it perfectly. You will have to first install the OS to the 1TB Spinner, buy another SSD then proceed with the cloning.

dookooo
01-22-2016, 04:09 PM
i am already buying another SSD and i think it will succeed , also Alienware has HM170 Chipset not HM67 .

this is a comparison between the G752 chipset which is CM236 and the Alienware one which is HM170 :

http://ark.intel.com/compare/90584,90593

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 04:37 PM
i am already buying another SSD and i think it will succeed , also Alienware has HM170 Chipset not HM67 .

this is a comparison between the G752 chipset which is CM236 and the Alienware one which is HM170 :

http://ark.intel.com/compare/90584,90593

Still very different, read the link you provided in its entirety on both the chipset differences and the alienware forum.
Im not trying to base my observations from search engine results. I know precisely squat about Alienware and any success they have had as I dont have one and never will. What I can tell you is that I do have a G752 and have not been able to do it, several other G752 owners have not been able to do it, several that bought the Best buy stripped down model with no SSD with the OS installed on the spinner have not been able to do it.

When you get yours and can conclusively prove that it can be done (not cloning the SSD in the DH72 your said you are getting, thats old news. A full OS install to a spinner then cloning that to an SSD), again please post up how you did it for the use of others. I will be the first to congratulate you on doing what others (including myself) have failed to do.

This machine is not an Alienware so lets please not make comparisons and search engine assumptions on what can and cannot be done between two very different platforms.

dookooo
01-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Well , we all start gathering evidence from search engines , and if you don't like them just buy everything you want to try to prove your point to people , and please this is just a discussion to give people useful ideas to help them , you are not the only one who can solve problems , we all have our point of view , if you don't like alienware fine it's ok , but rather than reinventing the wheel we can search for others solution even if it is not related to our specific machine .

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Well , we all start gathering evidence from search engines , and if you don't like them just buy everything you want to try to prove your point to people , and please this is just a discussion to give people useful ideas to help them , you are not the only one who can solve problems , we all have our point of view , if you don't like alienware fine it's ok , but rather than reinventing the wheel we can search for others solution even if it is not related to our specific machine .

OK so I should look how to replace the pinion gear on a Plymouth posi-trac rear end in a Studebaker manuall?
The firing order on a small block Chevy is 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 no research on a Ford site whose small block firing order is 1,8,7,3,6,2,4,5 is going to change that. If I put the plug wires on a Chevy using the ford example guess what? The engine will never start.

There is nothing wrong with researching and saying what you have seen on other models. "Hey, I read a post on the Dell forum and someone posted they were able to clone a spinner to an SSD on a AW 17 R3 and provide a link. That's a huge difference from saying "Actually you can clone the "partitions" from the SATA HDD to the SSD using Macrium Reflect , and it will boot perfectly !" in a discussion about a machine you've never even seen then referencing a different manufacturers machine that you have also never seen when there are plenty of posts here that say differently about the G752. There are two things this machine has in common with the Dell. The skylake processor and Nvidia graphics. Same goes with MSI and several others on the market, not much similar past that.

Point of view has precisely nothing to do with this nor does whether or not I like Alienware. I'm a factual type person and at this point the fact remains that no one has been successful cloning a spinner to an SSD and being able to boot from it on an ASUS G752 series laptop and posted about it here, its actually been the contrary, and fact also remains that the solution for an Alienware with a different chipset and BIOS just for starters will not be the same as it is for this machine. Maybe you will understand once you actually have one in your hands.

I do not now, nor have I ever, been so arrogant to think I'm the only one that can solve problems. I'm an electronics engineer by profession employed by a multi-billion $$ company in the critical power systems field. There is not a data center on the planet that doesnt have at least one piece of our gear in it. I'm very well educated and well versed in electronics with 30+ years experience in the field. First thing I learned long ago is you have to think outside the box and work with others innovating new solutions every day. I'm posting here more now because I'm bored as hell out recovering from a major surgery I had in December. You will see my posting decline in a few weeks. I read here more than I post. Like I said already multiple times, if you manage to clone a spinner on the G752 platform to an SSD then boot from it PLEASE do post up a tutorial on how to do it with screen grabs etc as no one else here has posted about any success. myself included and we would all love to see exactly what it is everyone else missed and it can be incorporated for future use when someone else wanders in and has problems.

Im looking forward to your detailed tutorial! :cool:

dookooo
01-22-2016, 10:06 PM
I wish you will recover soon from your surgery , may allah help you .

I am really busy with my PHD thesis so i don't have much time to write 1000 lines of comment .

Abd because we are getting out of the "helping each other" track , For anyone who suffer from this problem should try evey solution in this post and google it eveywhere else . if you failed contact Asus directly

JustinThyme
01-22-2016, 10:12 PM
I wish you will recover soon from your surgery , may allah help you .

I am really busy with my PHD thesis so i don't have much time to write 1000 lines of comment .

Abd because we are getting out of the "helping each other" track , For anyone who suffer from this problem should try evey solution in this post and google it eveywhere else . if you failed contact Asus directly

Thanks for the well wishes.

Good luck with your thesis, I know how much of a bear that can be. Last one I did was more than 25 years ago on my second maters, MEng from Tulane.

KenGeo
01-25-2016, 09:28 PM
Its not a question of what to do, its a question of what NOT to do. In this case, don't screw around with files and settings you are unfamiliar with and brick your OS without having a way back out of it.

Ive had zero problems from the drive configuration. There is always the best option. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

KenGeo. Im a bit surprised being in that line of work that you didn't know that ANY machine that was ever made where the drive is connected by a raid controller you must load that driver during the install process. That's been true like, forever. First time I did it was Windows 3.11. You cant clone the 1TB drive to the SSD, Well you can but then when you try to boot from it it would laugh at you if it could.

If you follow the UEFI boot guide and load the Intel RST raid driver during install it works like a charm.

I'm fairly certain you missed the line where i said I had already tried to load the drivers. HOWEVER, the OS would bluescreen while trying to load the drivers. It did the same thing on the 2nd machine we received. So...bad driver.

I have cloned a 1tb to an SSD, you either have to be able to match the size or use a software platform (we use Easues) that can shrink the partition. I do it all the time.

KenGeo
01-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Have you done it on a G752 with raid and M2 gen 3 NVMe drive? If so you are the first. Please post up step by step instructions with screen shots along the way so others who have failed can follow your expert tutelage.
To date no one else done it, Myself included. The drive will clone over then fail at boot.

This is resolved by running startup repair, with a windows boot disk.

JustinThyme
01-26-2016, 01:31 AM
KenGeo, can you please post up a how to with screenshots instead of I do it all the time. Also be aware this is machine specific. You can do it all the time on the G751s, alienwares and lots of other machines. Just not a CM236 Chipset ASUS G752.

Your install mentioned with an enterprise edition still yeilds the same results that have been mentioned and do not include cloning. You are still installing with the Intel RST drivers from what I read in your post.

Thanks, looking forward to your tutorial.

KenGeo
01-26-2016, 02:37 PM
KenGeo, can you please post up a how to with screenshots instead of I do it all the time. Also be aware this is machine specific. You can do it all the time on the G751s, alienwares and lots of other machines. Just not a CM236 Chipset ASUS G752.

Your install mentioned with an enterprise edition still yeilds the same results that have been mentioned and do not include cloning. You are still installing with the Intel RST drivers from what I read in your post.

Thanks, looking forward to your tutorial.

You cant just create an argument around someone doing screenshots and posting them up. And if they don't, they must be wrong. You have said it to the other guy and now me. i dont have time to do it that way, just to prove I can or cannot do something. I did not try to clone the SSD for the 752, and you may be right, i haven't done it on that specific model to say otherwise.

I was trying to install cleanly, with a disk and USB (tried uefi usb also) with the intel drivers, but it bluescreens. The only way I got it to work, is running setup inside of the OEM OS. Which is still odd to me, because any other machine I do this with, still requires the drivers once it goes into final setup.

JustinThyme
01-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the clarification that you have not cloned a spinner to an M2 NVMe SSD on a G752 with the CM236 chipset.

I cloned disk many times over many years when cloning was in its infancy, just not on this platform. I'm not trying to be difficult, I too would like too see resolution and thus far no one has been successful at cloning a spinner to an M2 NVMe SSD on the CM236 chipset then been able to boot from it. Installs from a disk, USB etc when done properly have been successful.

Your specific issues seems to revolve around the enterprise version of windows you are deploying. Many others, myself included have been successful at a clean UEFI install by installing the Intel IRST drivers during the install process from a USB. Im happy you found a way to get your install completed and have discovered a workaround for those deploying enterprise edition software.

I only ask for pictures and screen grabs as one thing I learned long ago. The unspoken word on tech forums of pictures or it didn't happen goes a long way. Nothing personal to anyone.

What would you say if I said I just cloned my single non raid spinner to 2 M2 512GB NVMe SSDs in a raid 0 array on a G752VY machine and was getting 5GBps sequential reads?

I know what my impression would be, here is a screen shot to prove it.

KenGeo
01-26-2016, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the clarification that you have not cloned a spinner to an M2 NVMe SSD on a G752 with the CM236 chipset.

I cloned disk many times over many years when cloning was in its infancy, just not on this platform. I'm not trying to be difficult, I too would like too see resolution and thus far no one has been successful at cloning a spinner to an M2 NVMe SSD on the CM236 chipset then been able to boot from it. Installs from a disk, USB etc when done properly have been successful.

Your specific issues seems to revolve around the enterprise version of windows you are deploying. Many others, myself included have been successful at a clean UEFI install by installing the Intel IRST drivers during the install process from a USB. Im happy you found a way to get your install completed and have discovered a workaround for those deploying enterprise edition software.

I only ask for pictures and screen grabs as one thing I learned long ago. The unspoken word on tech forums of pictures or it didn't happen goes a long way. Nothing personal to anyone.

What would you say if I said I just cloned my single non raid spinner to 2 M2 512GB NVMe SSDs in a raid 0 array on a G752VY machine and was getting 5GBps sequential reads?

I know what my impression would be, here is a screen shot to prove it.

I think its obvious you have been doing this for a while. So you know very well, that computers do things that 1. cant be explained. 2. make absolutely no sense.

So, I find it difficult to agree, that asking for screenshots, or they are wrong is a good practice, unless its completely bogus like your last paragraph.

My whole point of posting though, is to help anyone else with the issue. An issue, that as far as we have come with computing, shouldnt be happening. IMO.

so saving that image..

KenGeo
02-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Wanted to update this thread:
Creating a recovery disk via windows backup and recovery - then creating an image with windows backup and recovery works well. no need for a driver. so far both the 751 and 752's still bluescreen when trying to load the driver otherwise.