PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk Partitioning - Recommendations

ROGKenny
12-28-2015, 10:34 AM
So my new ROG comes with a 1TB 7200RPM drive that is partitioned into C: and D: by factory default.

I'm thinking of getting a 250GB M.2 SSD and having Windows boot from that instead.

Just curious what you all think on how I should use the 1TB drive. Make it into 1 large partition?

Install the main games that I'm playing in the SSD? If so, then not sure how to use the 1TB drive as it's like then 'wasted' space.

Thoughts?

Korth
12-28-2015, 02:13 PM
I personally like to just assign a single 100% partition to each physical drive, "Simple Basic NTFS", much less messing around with bootloaders and mounting drive letters and such, especially since I'm constantly swapping operating systems and drives around between different platforms.

But single-laptop users would do well assigning a bootable recovery partition - just a place to keep all the OS install files and hardware-specific drivers and copies of the product keys and stuff so that it's *always* immediately available for offline use, emergency recovery, or newer-is-not-always-better version rollbacks. It can be a huge time saver when needed.

Win7/8/10 typically assigns a small (about 100MB) "Reserved" partition onto the system disk. This is primarily used for low-power Sleep/Hibernate data store and for BitLocker. You can safely delete this partition if you don't use Hibernate or BitLocker functions, but if you're not desperate for more drive space then it's probably best to just leave it alone and let Windows be happy.

Win8/10 can run "Windows Storage Space" which basically merges file systems and drive capacities in a manner similar to (but not at all compatible with) RAID. It can also run drive compression. And BitLocker drive encryption. Using any of these wares makes the drive/partition useable with only one copy of one Windows operating system on one machine - it can make data recovery a nasty ordeal if your one copy of Windows ever breaks down.