PDA

View Full Version : MY G752VY SSD BENCHMARKS COMPARED: Samsung 950 NVMe vs 951 NVMe vs 850 EVO - READ

dbodyguru
12-29-2015, 04:02 AM
I have the G752VY with 3 different Samsung SSD's installed now. Because there are a lot of questions about installing Samsung SSD's and replacing the default SSD's, I've decided to benchmark all three of these SSD's on my system so you can see the differences. Hopefully it helps you decide on your upgrade SSD planning.

I've decided to compare the

SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GIG NVMe

vs

SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 Gig (comes as the default OS drive in the Asus ROG G752 VT and VY models)

vs SAMSUNG 850 SATA 2.5 1TB

SEE THE ATTACHED IMAGE FOR benchmarks compared.

SUMMARY

If you look at the images, you'll see how fast the SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 is and also just how ****ty the default SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 gig SSD that comes with the system. The read speeds are 1 GiB but the write speeds are 150 MiB! The 950 PRO 512 write speeds are 10 TIMES faster. Even the random 4K tests double the speed. The 850 EVO has half the seq read speed as the 951 (500 MiBvs 1GiB) but the seq write speed is over 3x faster than the 951. The only area the so called 951 NVMe beats the 850 EVO is the seq write speed (2x) as fast. But for every other metric, it's far worse. Basically, if it comes between using the 850 EVO OR the defaut 951 NVMe drive that comes with the G752, I'd go with the 850 EVO any day. Note, I tested the 2.5 SATA 850 EVO. It could be the 850 m2 SATA III or ACHI versions are faster than the 2.5.

Of course, the best option is to go with the SAMSUNG 950 PRO -- either 256 or 512 GIGS. Look at the speeds! It blows the 951 out of the water (10x faster write speeds, over DOUBLE the read speeds). It also blows the 850 EVO out of the water with 4.5x the read speeds and DOUBLE the write speeds.

CONCLUSION
*SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe ROCKS so much.
*Default 951 NVMe 128 GB that comes with the system is **** and should be thrown away. Better off going with a 2.5 SATA 850 EVO if the cost of the Samsung 950's are too high for you, and booting your OS from that rather than boot from the 951 Samsung 128 GB. The 951 has double the read speeds of the 850 EVO, yes, but the write speeds are about 1/3 of the speed!!! Is it better? I don't know, depends if you are doing a lot more reading or writing to your drive.

So I hope this helps you guys decide what SSD to upgrade to. Whatever you decide, DITCH the absolutely ****ty 951 SAMSUNG NVMe 128gig/256/512 gig that comes with your G752VT/VY -- you can get at least double the read speeds and 10x the write speeds by switching!

I honestly don't understand -- paying about 2500 USD for my G752VY (which is a sweet, sweet machine and with the 3D vapor cooling runs super super cool, even when CPU and GPU are maxed -- only at 75-79C!!!) and Asus gives such a ****ty SSD which hurts performance~!

Also see my other posts that tell how I installed my 950 NVMe on the ASUS ROG G752VY and how I also installed a 850 EVO m2 SATA III on my other computer I bought, the ASUS ROG GL552...

How to SUCCESFULLY Install the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe into G752 and boot windows from it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81512-G752VY-Samsung-950-PRO-SSD-NVMe-Working-Here-s-How-I-Did-It

How to SUCESSFULLY install the Samsung 850 EVO m2 SATA III into the GL552 and boot windows from it:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81513-ROG-GL552-WITH-Samsung-850-SATA-III-m2-drive-is-working-Here-s-How-I-Did-It

golomb13
12-29-2015, 10:31 AM
Keep on mind that there are two versions of SM 951 on market, the one that got SAME speeds as 950 PRO:

PM951
MZVLV256HCHP - This one Assus use, and this one got crappy results.

SM951
MZVPV256HDGL - I am having this version - same speeds as 950 Pro, and i think even better becasue heat throttling is not enabling that fast as 950 Pro one.

Keep that in mind before spreading news.

Gps3dx
12-29-2015, 11:07 AM

vs

SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 Gig (comes as the default OS drive in the Asus ROG G752 VT and VY models)

Thanks for that nice comparision.
Do you mind sharing with us please, the driver info ( i.e manufacturer & version ) you used each time in each test ?
Let me explain....

I know from my little reading from the last few days around the new, and especially from "win-raid.com", that default/internal MS windows NVMe driver is CRAP.... and that for performance increase you should install the driver from your NVMe Controller manufacturer ( I guess it is Intel in your case, as the G752 runs the CM236 chipset ) - just to be clear - This "Controller Driver" sits in the Device Manager, under "Storage Controller" and it is NOT THE RAID Controller (i.e not IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller)!

Samsung has it own "Controller Driver" (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_NVMe_Driver_Installation_Guide.pdf), one can get it from here (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html).
Benchmark result differs from using a controller driver differs from different manufacturer and version.

Now... since I just told you how to tweak even better your system - do you mind performing a bit more benchmark for us - to prove that is indeed the case ? ( P.S - I don't question Win-RAID.com... they are hack of pro there... )
Please try to run benchmark with different NVMe controller driver:​ MS Vs Samsungs Vs Intel ?? ( All of these drivers are HERE ) (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html)

drummerdimitri
12-30-2015, 09:33 AM
I have the G752VY with 3 different Samsung SSD's installed now. Because there are a lot of questions about installing Samsung SSD's and replacing the default SSD's, I've decided to benchmark all three of these SSD's on my system so you can see the differences. Hopefully it helps you decide on your upgrade SSD planning.

vs

SUMMARY

If you look at the images, you'll see how fast the SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 is and also just how ****ty the default SAMSUNG 951 NVMe 128 gig SSD that comes with the system. The read speeds are 1 GiB but the write speeds are 150 MiB! The 950 PRO 512 write speeds are 10 TIMES faster. Even the random 4K tests double the speed. The 850 EVO has half the seq read speed as the 951 (500 MiBvs 1GiB) but the seq write speed is over 3x faster than the 951. The only area the so called 951 NVMe beats the 850 EVO is the seq write speed (2x) as fast. But for every other metric, it's far worse. Basically, if it comes between using the 850 EVO OR the defaut 951 NVMe drive that comes with the G752, I'd go with the 850 EVO any day. Note, I tested the 2.5 SATA 850 EVO. It could be the 850 m2 SATA III or ACHI versions are faster than the 2.5.

Of course, the best option is to go with the SAMSUNG 950 PRO -- either 256 or 512 GIGS. Look at the speeds! It blows the 951 out of the water (10x faster write speeds, over DOUBLE the read speeds). It also blows the 850 EVO out of the water with 4.5x the read speeds and DOUBLE the write speeds.

CONCLUSION
*SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe ROCKS so much.
*Default 951 NVMe 128 GB that comes with the system is **** and should be thrown away. Better off going with a 2.5 SATA 850 EVO if the cost of the Samsung 950's are too high for you, and booting your OS from that rather than boot from the 951 Samsung 128 GB. The 951 has double the read speeds of the 850 EVO, yes, but the write speeds are about 1/3 of the speed!!! Is it better? I don't know, depends if you are doing a lot more reading or writing to your drive.

So I hope this helps you guys decide what SSD to upgrade to. Whatever you decide, DITCH the absolutely ****ty 951 SAMSUNG NVMe 128gig/256/512 gig that comes with your G752VT/VY -- you can get at least double the read speeds and 10x the write speeds by switching!

I honestly don't understand -- paying about 2500 USD for my G752VY (which is a sweet, sweet machine and with the 3D vapor cooling runs super super cool, even when CPU and GPU are maxed -- only at 75-79C!!!) and Asus gives such a ****ty SSD which hurts performance~!

Also see my other posts that tell how I installed my 950 NVMe on the ASUS ROG G752VY and how I also installed a 850 EVO m2 SATA III on my other computer I bought, the ASUS ROG GL552...

How to SUCCESFULLY Install the Samsung 950 PRO NVMe into G752 and boot windows from it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81512-G752VY-Samsung-950-PRO-SSD-NVMe-Working-Here-s-How-I-Did-It

How to SUCESSFULLY install the Samsung 850 EVO m2 SATA III into the GL552 and boot windows from it:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81513-ROG-GL552-WITH-Samsung-850-SATA-III-m2-drive-is-working-Here-s-How-I-Did-It

I am surpsired by your results!

I have the G752VT with the same original drive configuration but my 128 GB 951 SSD was writing at around 500 MB/s with the same read speeds as yours so don't blame the drive. There might me some drivers you forgot to install.

I've cloned the drive like you did to a 240 GB 950 M.2 SSD and now the pc is working perfectly so thanks for the guide!

dbodyguru
01-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Thanks for that nice comparision.
Do you mind sharing with us please, the driver info ( i.e manufacturer & version ) you used each time in each test ?
Let me explain....

I know from my little reading from the last few days around the new, and especially from "win-raid.com", that default/internal MS windows NVMe driver is CRAP.... and that for performance increase you should install the driver from your NVMe Controller manufacturer ( I guess it is Intel in your case, as the G752 runs the CM236 chipset ) - just to be clear - This "Controller Driver" sits in the Device Manager, under "Storage Controller" and it is NOT THE RAID Controller (i.e not IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller)!

Samsung has it own "Controller Driver" (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/downloads/document/Samsung_NVMe_Driver_Installation_Guide.pdf), one can get it from here (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html).
Benchmark result differs from using a controller driver differs from different manufacturer and version.

Now... since I just told you how to tweak even better your system - do you mind performing a bit more benchmark for us - to prove that is indeed the case ? ( P.S - I don't question Win-RAID.com... they are hack of pro there... )
Please try to run benchmark with different NVMe controller driver:​ MS Vs Samsungs Vs Intel ?? ( All of these drivers are HERE ) (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html)

I am UNABLE to install the Samsung 950 drivers on the G752VY. It will not let me (I get an error message saying 950 NVMe is not detected when I try installing the driver, despite the fact it does show up in the Device Manager as the 950 and the write and read speeds as tested seem in line with what the speeds should be.

Also note, Samsung Partition Magic does NOT recognize the 950 in the list of dropdown drives to select. So I'm using the default MS or Intel drivers.

Now at this request, I've installed the new INTEL controller and run the benchmark. But the speeds are about the same as before. Again, I don't have the official samsung drivers installed, so maybe the drive is not as fast as it should be and / or partition magic software is not optimizing / running on the 950.

I've also just updated the BIOS to the new bios offered by asus for the G752, but that did not fix the issue or allow me to install the samsung drivers.

Anyways, see image with the Intel drivers installed (which made no difference) and the benchmark for the 950 512 NVMe SSD.

JustinThyme
01-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Been searching everywhere but there just is no info on the G752Y models with the larger stock SSDs. Nothing to be found but the RH71. Guess Ill have to be the guinea pig for the 256GB. DH72 is on the way, I was just curious as to whether I needed to order another SSD to get past the obvious joke AKA 128GB stock drives performance if it is also prevalent in the 256GB. Ill eventually go to 512 and would rather go with the 950 pro but wont without proper operation and fully functional software. Id just as soon just go with the SM951.

dbodyguru
01-04-2016, 02:14 AM
If you can afford the VY model, just pony out and get the 950 PRO 512. It's super fast and either way, you will want to make larger driver your main bootable OS (just partition the OS to be 128 gigs and the other partition to be the rest, which you store you main programs / games).

I also recommend you take out the slow ass HDD and replace it with the Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB. This makes your system ALL SSD and super fast for every operation -- even storing movies / dowloads et. The HDD is a huge bottleneck if you read and write to it, which you will since the 256 SSD (and likely the ****ty cheap NVMe one if it's the stock 951 that comes with the computer) is just too small when you start actually installing stuff to your computer. I mean, you can easily use 128 gigs for windows + OS updates + free space on the drive + system restore points, if you want to keep a nice 40 gigs free on it for best operation / os updates.

SO yea, at the very least buy the 950 PRO 512 and use the stock one as secondary storage.

The '****ty' ms drives give me fast speeds. I've installed to the Intel driver which did NOT increase the speeds at all and in fact caused a boot delay error where it took 1 minute to see the ROG logo when doing a reset or power on (and restore from sleep state would hang).

There is no reason NOT to get the 950 PRO (especially the 512 gig). The only issue you have is you can't use samsung partition wizard and run the SSD optimization stuff on it (rapid SSD mode, ssd overprovision, etc) because it doesn't detect it correctly as the 950 PRO. But speed wise in terms of reads and writes, it's fine

dbodyguru
01-04-2016, 02:22 AM
Also note, I don't recommend installing the intel controllers (i installed to the latest 1.48 version). I did this right before the bios update and afterwards my computer would 'hang up' on boot for 1 minute before showing the ROG logo on screen and beginning the boot process. This happened for system resets and for power on starts. Closing the lid or enabling sleep state would hang up the computer -- it would turn on but just a black screen.

Restoring to a point BEFORE I installed the intel drivers for SSD fixed this. As I showed you in my benchmark, there was NO real difference in speed after installing the intel drivers with the 950 pro read and write speeds. Just use the default MS drivers that install automatically UNTIL the official samsung drivers are working with future updates.

JustinThyme
01-05-2016, 06:06 AM
I've gone ahead and ordered the 950 pro 512GB. It's not about cost as believe it or not the SM951 AHCI and NVMe are harder to find and cost more. My worries were around TRIM and OP as well as warranty but after a good bit of research elsewhere my worries were put to rest.

I already have an 850 pro to replace the spinner.

aeolisio
01-05-2016, 11:57 AM
I am UNABLE to install the Samsung 950 drivers on the G752VY. It will not let me (I get an error message saying 950 NVMe is not detected when I try installing the driver, despite the fact it does show up in the Device Manager as the 950 and the write and read speeds as tested seem in line with what the speeds should be.

Also note, Samsung Partition Magic does NOT recognize the 950 in the list of dropdown drives to select. So I'm using the default MS or Intel drivers.

Now at this request, I've installed the new INTEL controller and run the benchmark. But the speeds are about the same as before. Again, I don't have the official samsung drivers installed, so maybe the drive is not as fast as it should be and / or partition magic software is not optimizing / running on the 950.

I've also just updated the BIOS to the new bios offered by asus for the G752, but that did not fix the issue or allow me to install the samsung drivers.

Anyways, see image with the Intel drivers installed (which made no difference) and the benchmark for the 950 512 NVMe SSD.

I was hoping the 950 would have better results by now but it looks exactly the same as when we tested them. I put up a crystal mark to show that even a very heavily used smaller AHCI sm951 still beats the 950 nvme and it has working trim and drivers without a problem. I still don't see any incentive to buy a 950 unless all you care about is having a black pcb.

Gps3dx
01-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Also note, I don't recommend installing the intel controllers (i installed to the latest 1.48 version). I did this right before the bios update and afterwards my computer would 'hang up' on boot for 1 minute before showing the ROG logo on screen and beginning the boot process. This happened for system resets and for power on starts. Closing the lid or enabling sleep state would hang up the computer -- it would turn on but just a black screen.
"right before...bios update" -> have you checked that the bios configuration were not changed after the flashing ????
it does happens sometimes... and if your CSM option got toggled-> no wonder your OS didn't load up.

look, my advise about using Intel NVMe drivers instead of MS ( for non-samsung NMVe devices ) came from a very knowledgeable person, who runs, operate and write most of the guides in WIN-RAID forums, AKA Fernando- look HERE (http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html)

JustinThyme
01-05-2016, 12:31 PM
I tossed it around for a very long time and spent a lot of time researching before committing. Bottom line is AHCI is on the way out. Its slim pickings on the sm951, particularly the AHCI version and they are actually higher priced. Once Im comfortable with the drive Ill most likely order up another for the other slot, I don't believe there will be the option to run two different formats, its going to be one or the other. There should be a 1TB version available soon.

I read a lot of reviews comparing the two and most of the reputable sources noted thermal issues with the SM951 with rates dropping from thermal throttling, this has been noted by pretty much everyone that reviews them and its absent in the 950 pro with V-Nand technology over the older Planar of the sm951. All reviewers had the same thing to say that you need to consider installing heatsinks on the modules if you intend on using them.

TRIM is a function of the OS after Win8, thats directly from Samsungs documentation as is their policy that over provisioning is not mandated. They say you only need to do so if you routinely have your drives loaded to capacity, otherwise its not an issue and none of this affects the warranty.

Now with that being said the SM951 is OEM and comes with a 3 year warranty from the source you get it from, not Samsung. Being OEM they also offer no support. The 950 pro comes with a 5 year warranty through Samsung and they offer full support.

So my incentive is the drives seem to work just fine without magician software, its not required. TRIM and trash are taken care of without it, OEMs don't include that software anyhow, its support is limited to consumer versions and noted on Samsung's site that not all functions work with all drives. Standard drivers are working fine and Im confident that as the technology evolves, so will the drivers. Add to that the 5 year warranty directly with Samsung, no fighting ram-city or ebay seller or newegg for warranty issues.

aeolisio
01-05-2016, 12:53 PM
I tossed it around for a very long time and spent a lot of time researching before committing. Bottom line is AHCI is on the way out. Its slim pickings on the sm951, particularly the AHCI version and they are actually higher priced. Once Im comfortable with the drive Ill most likely order up another for the other slot, I don't believe there will be the option to run two different formats, its going to be one or the other. There should be a 1TB version available soon.

I read a lot of reviews comparing the two and most of the reputable sources noted thermal issues with the SM951 with rates dropping from thermal throttling, this has been noted by pretty much everyone that reviews them and its absent in the 950 pro with V-Nand technology over the older Planar of the sm951. All reviewers had the same thing to say that you need to consider installing heatsinks on the modules if you intend on using them.

TRIM is a function of the OS after Win8, thats directly from Samsungs documentation as is their policy that over provisioning is not mandated. They say you only need to do so if you routinely have your drives loaded to capacity, otherwise its not an issue and none of this affects the warranty.

Now with that being said the SM951 is OEM and comes with a 3 year warranty from the source you get it from, not Samsung. Being OEM they also offer no support. The 950 pro comes with a 5 year warranty through Samsung and they offer full support.

So my incentive is the drives seem to work just fine without magician software, its not required. TRIM and trash are taken care of without it, OEMs don't include that software anyhow, its support is limited to consumer versions and noted on Samsung's site that not all functions work with all drives. Standard drivers are working fine and Im confident that as the technology evolves, so will the drivers. Add to that the 5 year warranty directly with Samsung, no fighting ram-city or ebay seller or newegg for warranty issues.

Actually you might want to do a google search for 950 pro thermal throttle and consider that samsung said
"Samsung says that proper airflow is recommended for the Samsung SSD 950 Pro to keep the drive operating under it's 70C threshold."
I would honestly question how much airflow does a g752 have over the 950 pro that uses twice the power of an AHCI sm951
http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-ssd-950-pro-512gb-nvme-pcie-ssd-review_174096/3
"When we let everything cool back down and re-did the test without the 120mm fan we noticed that the drive started to throttle at the 62 second mark. Our performance went from being ~1560 MB/s all they way down to 753 MB/s and then rising up to 879 MB/s during the throttle period"
I truly hope the 950 gets some driver issues fixed but i wouldn't buy one until they do or until the next model releases.

JustinThyme
01-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Actually you might want to do a google search for 950 pro thermal throttle and consider that samsung said
"Samsung says that proper airflow is recommended for the Samsung SSD 950 Pro to keep the drive operating under it's 70C threshold."
I would honestly question how much airflow does a g752 have over the 950 pro that uses twice the power of an AHCI sm951
http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-ssd-950-pro-512gb-nvme-pcie-ssd-review_174096/3
"When we let everything cool back down and re-did the test without the 120mm fan we noticed that the drive started to throttle at the 62 second mark. Our performance went from being ~1560 MB/s all they way down to 753 MB/s and then rising up to 879 MB/s during the throttle period"
I truly hope the 950 gets some driver issues fixed but i wouldn't buy one until they do or until the next model releases.

Actually I did research it. Using your keywords the very first hit

"As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario."

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review/Thermal-Throttling-Conclusio

According to the spec sheets the 950 pro is 1.5x more efficient in power consumption.

Like I said, I tossed this around for a very long time, longer than I did making a laptop choice and your earlier post about the ACHI being just as fast andfully supported is what drove me to dig so deep.

aeolisio
01-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Actually I did research it. Using your keywords the very first hit

"As you can see, you would have to write nearly 150GB at over 1.5GB/sec to get a 950 PRO to warm up enough to throttle, and when it does, the throttling is very minor, dropping to only 1.2GB/sec intermittently. The slightest airflow prevents this from happening at all, and even if there was zero airflow, the chances of maxing a 950 PRO out on writes for that long of a burst is extremely unlikely in even the most demanding consumer usage scenario."

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-950-PRO-256GB-and-512GB-M2-NVMe-PCIe-SSD-Review/Thermal-Throttling-Conclusio

Well thats a test bench open air. What kind of airflow does your g752 get in the m.2 slot?

JustinThyme
01-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Ill just toss this in here. Seems like a proper fit.
My G752VY-DH72 just hit the door and as suspected the 256GB M2 SSD is the Samsung SM951 NVMe model.

Bench right out of the box with nothing updated. There is no Samsung magician software installed on the machine. Drivers are intel and M$

StanDiego
01-05-2016, 09:54 PM
I suspect the Intel driver you installed is the Intel RST driver, not the Intel NVME driver. The Intel NVME driver is designed specifically for Intel SSDs so I'd be surprised if the Intel NVME driver works with a Samsung SSD. Many of us have gotten the 950 Pro to boot Windows. The problems that we haven't been able to overcome are (1) getting any sort of NVME driver (Microsoft or Samsung) to load for the NVME SSD instead of the Intel RAID/ RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver and (2) getting Samsung Magician software to recognize the 950 Pro. Without the NVME driver, performance suffers significantly.

I believe you have inadvertently confirmed that even ASUS doesn't install the NVME driver on G752 that they ship with the NVME SSDs pre-installed from the factory. If true, I am very disappointed with ASUS because they will have provided the hardware (M.2 NVME slots) support without the software (NVME driver) needed to truly take advantage of the performance boost.

Regarding the new BIOS, what version are you referring to? I see only the 205 version posted under support links for the G752 though I've seen a version 208 for the GL752.

JustinThyme
01-06-2016, 02:54 AM
Are you seeing better results on other platforms? This was right out of the box, nothing installed that didnt ship from the factory except the benchmark. No IRST driver installed. Intel Chipset raid controller 14.6.3.1032, Microsoft Storage space controller 10.0.10240.16384 and Microsoft NVMe 10.0.10240.16384

This bench is comparable to legit reviews got on their test bed, Intel X99 platform with native windows 8.1 drivers. Comparing it so SATAIII SSD in AHCI there really is no comparison and the spinners look pathetic at 1/20 speed.

The NVMe driver is there and native to windows in anything past 8.1. The SM951 NVMe does not have Samsung drivers. The 950 Pro is the only one that does, I haven't had the opportunity to bench that yet, it comes in tomorrow. I fully expect to beat these numbers with everything staying just as it is.

From what I am seeing as of right now the only difference is some boards are not accepting the Samsung 950 pro NVMe Drivers, and with some Samsung magician is not seeing them. Please keep in mind that the bench I posted is an OEM drive that while Samsung makes it they don't support it.
Samsung Magician is also not OEM supplied by anyone. Its specific to the consumer market.

The only legitimate grip I've seen thus far was presented by aeolisio in that the SM951 AHCI 512GB can achieve similar results in AHCI mode, no NVMe drivers necessary. I was tempted to go that route but chose the NVMe instead. Its working just fine ATM and Im sure the 950 Pro will work just fine and comparable to test beds that can get the Samsung drivers and Magician (which is totally not necessary) to work.

JustinThyme
01-06-2016, 09:11 PM
OK here is the 950 pro installed. I didnt change drivers. OS upgraded to Win 10 Pro and essentials installed. Graphics drivers updated etc. Nothing done to out of the box configuration of the NVMe drivers or raid drivers. They are exactly as they were when the machine was first fired up. Used Samsung migration tool to clone 256 gb SM951 NVMe stock drive. I will not be clearing that drive and putting it in slot 2. I like to save originals as originals and its going in the box for safe keeping.

Jlieu
01-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Anyone manage to directly clean install windows 10 to Nvme ssd?

JustinThyme
01-08-2016, 09:52 PM
Anyone manage to directly clean install windows 10 to Nvme ssd?

I haven't personally but several have posted that they have succeed. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79822-G752-with-Samsung-950-Pro-SSD-new-information&p=556477&viewfull=1#post556477

Tindreal
04-04-2016, 07:35 PM
What are the temps of this SSD in this laptop? With large file transfer this SSD can get up to 90C in a dekstop and!throttle. What is the highest temp during a high iops demaning game? (Like Fallout 4 or Dragon Age Inquisition)

JustinThyme
04-04-2016, 08:11 PM
What are the temps of this SSD in this laptop? With large file transfer this SSD can get up to 90C in a dekstop and!throttle. What is the highest temp during a high iops demaning game? (Like Fallout 4 or Dragon Age Inquisition)
The 950 will never throttle during game play, just not enough activity. I havent been able to get mine to throttle yet. You would have to hammer the hell out of it for 15-20 minutes to even get it that warm transferring VERY large files, like 100GB or more non stop at max read and write. There are openings in the cover right where the drives sit so air intake coming in goes right across them. I removed the factory heatsink plate and thermal tape and also removed the paper from the SSDs themselves and cleaned them with denatured alcohol then installed copper ramsinks on them, not because of any issues, mostly because I can and for good measure.
I have two of them in Raid 0 now.

Tindreal
04-04-2016, 08:21 PM
The 950 will never throttle during game play, just not enough activity. I havent been able to get mine to throttle yet. You would have to hammer the hell out of it for 15-20 minutes to even get it that warm transferring VERY large files, like 100GB or more non stop at max read and write. There are openings in the cover right where the drives sit so air intake coming in goes right across them. I removed the factory heatsink plate and thermal tape and also removed the paper from the SSDs themselves and cleaned them with denatured alcohol then installed copper ramsinks on them, not because of any issues, mostly because I can and for good measure.
I have two of them in Raid 0 now.

Thanks for the answer. According to!this test:

https://youtu.be/d3GlInzvHr8
Ic
Both 950 pro ans sm951 got unbelievebly hot extremely fast in a dekstop pc with very good airflow...and we are talking about just moving some data. am afraid that a laptop would bexome an oven.

JustinThyme
04-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Yeah everyone has seen that video, keep in mind its time lapsed and check out the comments section....."during a 205GB file copy operation"
I've yet to transfer that much data at once to my SSDs and if I did IMO throttling to keep the temp down on the 950 pro is better than letting it continue to heat up on the SM951.

Ive had mine running for a few months now and no throttling noted.

Moi59200
04-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Hello ROG community.

I am sending you a message for my problem on my pc Gl752vw I wish add a m.2 ssd
Type PM951 128GB SAMSUNG. But the problem the bios does not recognize. No way to activate my card PCIe M.2.

What to do ? Thank you for helping me I'm French.

M.2 PCIe reference card: 128GB Samsung PM951

Jon G
04-07-2016, 11:37 PM
The 512GB Samsung 950 Pro PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD compared to any other 128GB/256GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
will always out perform the smaller capacity drives, at least on the Write. A better comparison would be 512GB
Samsung 950 Pro SSD vs. 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVME SSD which actually has a slight edge on Sequential Write
1550 MB/s vs the 950 Pros' 1500 MB/s, & beats the same capacity Samsung 950 Pro in most transfer tests. The 512GB 950 Pro gets slightly higher Read though! I realize few (if any) of us
w/ a G752VY would have both 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD versions on hand for a head to head comparison. Anyone
wishing to upgrade their G752VY's 2x PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs' to a larger capacity would be foolish to choose the
higher priced 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD over the better overall, less expensive, retail 512GB Samsung 950 Pro SSD.
The stock G752VY DH78K notebook I have uses 2x 256GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe SSDs'.
Here's the CDM on my G752VY DH78Ks' 256GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe non OS SSD;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2206.182 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1298.571 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 523.958 MB/s [127919.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 326.863 MB/s [ 79800.5 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1644.207 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1276.144 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 53.754 MB/s [ 13123.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 165.657 MB/s [ 40443.6 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [E: 0.1% (0.1/238.5 GiB)] (x3) [Interval=3 sec]
Date : 2016/04/07 19:38:30
G752VY DH78K stock 256GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD
Can anyone explain how to upload the actual Crystal Disk Mark screen shot?

JustinThyme
04-08-2016, 03:40 AM
Hello ROG community.

I am sending you a message for my problem on my pc Gl752vw I wish add a m.2 ssd
Type PM951 128GB SAMSUNG. But the problem the bios does not recognize. No way to activate my card PCIe M.2.

What to do ? Thank you for helping me I'm French.

M.2 PCIe reference card: 128GB Samsung PM951

Welcome to the Forums.
You might want to try looking in the GL subforum for better support.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?200-GL-Series-Gaming-Notebooks

What I can tell you is there are evidently two different mother boards for the GL752. One that supports the PCIe M2 SSDs and one that supports only M2 SATA.
You can read more about it in a pretty lengthy thread about the Gl752VW.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79590-Issue-with-M-2-SSD-in-ASUS-ROG-GL752VW

JHR1979
04-09-2016, 01:31 AM
Bought a g752vy a few days ago, quite the beast of a laptop.

heres the results from the NVMe SSD drive (samsung mzvpv256)

http://i.imgur.com/b9KOB9F.jpg

JustinThyme
04-09-2016, 02:27 AM
The 512GB Samsung 950 Pro PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD compared to any other 128GB/256GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD
will always out perform the smaller capacity drives, at least on the Write. A better comparison would be 512GB
Samsung 950 Pro SSD vs. 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVME SSD which actually has a slight edge on Sequential Write
1550 MB/s vs the 950 Pros' 1500 MB/s, & beats the same capacity Samsung 950 Pro in most transfer tests. The 512GB 950 Pro gets slightly higher Read though! I realize few (if any) of us
w/ a G752VY would have both 512GB PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSD versions on hand for a head to head comparison. Anyone
wishing to upgrade their G752VY's 2x PCIe 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs' to a larger capacity would be foolish to choose the
higher priced 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD over the better overall, less expensive, retail 512GB Samsung 950 Pro SSD.
The stock G752VY DH78K notebook I have uses 2x 256GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe SSDs'.
Here's the CDM on my G752VY DH78Ks' 256GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe non OS SSD;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 2206.182 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1298.571 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 523.958 MB/s [127919.4 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 326.863 MB/s [ 79800.5 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 1644.207 MB/s
Sequential Write (T= 1) : 1276.144 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 53.754 MB/s [ 13123.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 165.657 MB/s [ 40443.6 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [E: 0.1% (0.1/238.5 GiB)] (x3) [Interval=3 sec]
Date : 2016/04/07 19:38:30
G752VY DH78K stock 256GB OEM Samsung SM951 NVMe SSD
Can anyone explain how to upload the actual Crystal Disk Mark screen shot?

Hi Jon, I agree with the comparison for the most part. I dont think the SM951 and 950 pros speeds are all that different, but the bigger they are the better speeds your get. In the sequential write 1550 vs 1500 I actually split the difference with 1525 on the 512GB 950 pro. IMO its negligible. What puts the 950 pro on top in my book is the fact that the controller uses thermal throttling, not that i think I will ever see it in action but Id rather see it throttled back than burn up. The other very large advantage is warranty. 950 pro get 5 years warranty directly through samsung and the OEM gets 3 years through whatever OEM you got it from. If you bought it outright from amazon or the likes YOU ARE THE OEM and get zero support. The 256 drives that came stock in the VYs are warranted through ASUS.
If you want to buy an SM951 512GB and send it to me Ill be happy to test it out and compare :rolleyes:
When you run do you get the same on your screen that Ive been posting then save as text file?

To get the screen shot you simply use CTRL+prt sc then open paint and CTRL+V. Then use the select tool, outline the image then crop. When finished with that file, save as jpeg.

JustinThyme
04-09-2016, 02:29 AM
Bought a g752vy a few days ago, quite the beast of a laptop.

heres the results from the NVMe SSD drive (samsung mzvpv256)

Nice, thats about what I got out of the stock 256.
Welcome to the madness!