PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on installing Linux OS on Asus G751JY.

paletroxz
12-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here and I searched the entire web and this forum for info on the info I wanted to know.
So I thought of asking it myself. And the thing is, I'm planning to dual boot my Asus G751JY with the best, lite and battery efficient Linux Distro.
And I tried Ubuntu it's highly battery not efficient, random freezes added with very slow booting and I get issues regarding EFI at times even after configuring the BIOS for it like the one for CSM fastboot etc..
Now I need suggestion from you guys on which would be the best one.

Corporal
12-29-2015, 03:26 PM
very slow booting
This comes from linux kernel trying to activate the m1-3 function keys, for 20 seconds. If you look at the dmesg you can see that. I used a guide I found somewhere to disable that.

I tried Ubuntu it's highly battery not efficient
Neither Ubuntu, nor any light distro will get you better battery life than windows 8/10. Linux gpu drivers are usually less efficient.
In the best case you will get the same battery life.

lite and battery efficient Linux Distro.
The "lite" describes mainly RAM and HDD space usage, not CPU or battery usage.
Surely Ubuntu uses more RAM/Disk space, with many unused files using disk space, but it's the best distro out there, with least problems and incompatibilities.

paletroxz
12-30-2015, 02:49 PM
This comes from linux kernel trying to activate the m1-3 function keys, for 20 seconds. If you look at the dmesg you can see that. I used a guide I found somewhere to disable that.

Neither Ubuntu, nor any light distro will get you better battery life than windows 8/10. Linux gpu drivers are usually less efficient.
In the best case you will get the same battery life.

The "lite" describes mainly RAM and HDD space usage, not CPU or battery usage.
Surely Ubuntu uses more RAM/Disk space, with many unused files using disk space, but it's the best distro out there, with least problems and incompatibilities.

Thanks for the humble reply mate...

Mike777
04-25-2018, 06:51 AM
How's your experience with Linux, or dial-booting with Linux, since 2015?
Which distro did you settle for in the end?

From an interested Linux user.

Gps3dx
04-25-2018, 10:26 PM
How's your experience with Linux, or dial-booting with Linux, since 2015?
Which distro did you settle for in the end?

From an interested Linux user.

i'd good experience with ubuntu on my G751JT... although i'm AC connect 99% of the time, it is stable... I used many releases version since 10.04....
lately, i'd install MINT ( based on ubuntu )... it's stable also IMHO.

note that you can force installation of latest linux kernel or any other version... just don't forget to update grub bootloader after each update.

P.S - I dual boot with windows 10...no EFI/UEFI issue whatsoever and no special actions needed to do ( grub chainload windows 10 bootloader just fine and automatically ).

in my past. on my previous laptop, Asus G51JX, I even had triple boot with macOS ( but then it wasn't UEFI based... so bootloader changes are much more easy ).

Mike777
04-27-2018, 08:32 AM
i'd good experience with ubuntu on my G751JT... although i'm AC connect 99% of the time, it is stable... I used many releases version since 10.04....
lately, i'd install MINT ( based on ubuntu )... it's stable also IMHO.

Great to hear Linux is going well for you. Apparently only 3% of PC users use Linux, but I believe that number will grow with time, if Linux can shake it's mistaken image as a operating system for techy nerds only ...

I've ditched Windows OS completely on my main daily laptop (Asus G750JS), and now use Manjaro-xfce only (installed in UEFI mode). A fantastic distro. As a rolling-realease you only need to install it once only, and software & patches are always the latest. At first, I was a bit scared moving away from the security and ease of Ubuntu-based distros - I stayed with Linux Lite for quite a while following the first year of obsessive distro-hopping - am now really pleased with the move to Manjaro. The forum community is absolutely superb - always had very prompt and helpful replies and advice to all my questions ...

Have a great day :cool: