PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G551JW Loud fan noise / throttling

singh_harman007
12-30-2015, 03:39 AM
Dear users,

I am new to owning a ROG series laptop and I have heard many positive recommendations about its silent cooling operation,

However, I noticed constant loud running fan during average load, I was installing GTA V and running a full system scan on the ad-aware software alongside. Even after the scan was completed and only GTA V installation was running, I could still hear the fan noise although it wasn't bothering but still it was increasing and decreasing quite rapidly instead of holding its momentum. Also I have been experiencing constant fan on while the AC adapter is plugged in whereas when on battery the fan noise is relatively quieter. Why is this so?

I was told that this laptop runs fairly cool during heavy load too but my experience in just 2 days of owning it has been pretty bad, I am wondering whether there is anything wrong with the fan itself or is this an awesome device just me being unlucky on this occasion and need to get it replaced?

If there is anything I can do (which I haven't already done) to improve the system noise or occasional throttling which occurs after the system is overheated? Or if the above mentioned is normal with this laptop please let me know anyway.

Any answers will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Clintlgm
12-30-2015, 03:56 AM
Your notebook should not be overheating what actual temp are you getting Idle, at load Etc high fan speeds indicate high temps, Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) running the sensors will show you exact Load Temp and fan Speeds. Yes you need to sort this out before your return to vendor window for replacement runs out.

Jlieu
12-30-2015, 04:14 AM
From my service experience, i noticed some of the asus G551JL's heat sink are not properly attached to the CPU, and some GPU as well. This is what causing overheating and temp spike.

It was the KAPTON TAPE which factory not applied on CPU and GPU properly, slightly 20% blocking the contact between CPU and heat-sink.

disassemble it, reapply the Kapton Tape properly and problem solved.

singh_harman007
12-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Where exactly do i check the temp info? I have HWINFO64 opened and its showing the sensor details but I can't see the temp. I haven't used this software before. The fan runs fairly cool but as I told you I was installing GTA V, is it normal for the fan to get louder in this case? Also I have noticed once the fan gets louder it takes a long time for it to get quiet again, it makes lots of noise. This hasn't been the case with my other msi notebook, even if it gets loud, it goes back quiet instantly.

I am running sensors-only but can't see, can you please tell me more precisely?

Your notebook should not be overheating what actual temp are you getting Idle, at load Etc high fan speeds indicate high temps, Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php) running the sensors will show you exact Load Temp and fan Speeds. Yes you need to sort this out before your return to vendor window for replacement runs out.

singh_harman007
12-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Do you mean Asus G551JW? I do understand what you are saying about heat sink not properly being attached which causes the heat to not dissipate as efficiently. However, I do not understand where is the tape found, how will i recognize it? Is this KAPTON tape called thermal tape otherwise?

From my service experience, i noticed some of the asus G551JL's heat sink are not properly attached to the CPU, and some GPU as well. This is what causing overheating and temp spike.

It was the KAPTON TAPE which factory not applied on CPU and GPU properly, slightly 20% blocking the contact between CPU and heat-sink.

disassemble it, reapply the Kapton Tape properly and problem solved.

Clintlgm
12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Mine are here yours should be similar 54452